http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:25:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godfather Gameplay: Similiar to the GTA Franchise?  (Read 757 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:57:38 PM »

I've never played a GTA game, have read a bit about them, but not enough to know the answer to question.

In hopes of finding a game like Mafia, I rented Godfather. It's good overall, but I wonder if the gameplay in it is basically aping (in a good way) GTA. Anyone played both? Am I correct?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:47:12 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 03, 2007, 11:57:38 PM

I've never played a GTA game, have read a bit about them, but not enough to know the answer to question.

In hopes of finding a game like Mafia, I rented Godfather. It's good overall, but I wonder if the gameplay in it is basically aping (in a good way) GTA. Anyone played both? Am I correct?

It's similiar to GTA, but I'm not sure if I'd call it 'aping'.  Sure, you have the open city and vehicle mayhem, but you also have the rackets and vendettas which makes things more persistent between missions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:05 AM »

ya pretty close atb - though i dont think gta ventured into stats until san andreas - but same sort of idea.  also gta has more vehicles (planes, bikes etc).  i still like godfather more than gta.

godfather is closer to gta than it is to mafia (aside from subject matter).  driver and true crime are more like mafia - but theyre both terrible games so id suggest avoiding them smile
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »

yes GTA and the Godfather are similar, well really quite close. But of course the Godfather is more storyline laid out because of the movies and has more things movie specific, and mob like.

GTA is storyline laid out, but you dont extort or move up in 'the family'.

I liked the Godfather but it was a play through maybe 2 times game. GTA you can play over and longer, and there is more GTA's by the time you complete lets say GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas, GTA IV will be coming out for 360/PS3.

Give GTA a try, its a great game. I like Vice City the best.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »

I rented it and thought it was completely mediocre and returned it quickly.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »

It's vastly more focused than the GTA series is. I wouldn't go so far as to call it linear but it's closer to being that than the GTA series is. You still can run around and do whatever you want in the sandbox sense but I maintain that Godfather is a better game overall. Of course, it may be my personal fetish for 1940s New York that's coloring my vision. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  there's nothing like bringing the beat down on some schlep of a shopkeeper (or Tattaglia) using the Wii-Mote  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 02:47:27 PM »

The PC-DVD version is on sale at Gogamer right now for $3.90.  I'm finding it hard to pass that up.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »

I very much enjoyed The Godfather as a rental.  There wasn't much replayability in it for me once I completed the missions.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »

The only GTA I've played, other than the original on the PC, is Vice City. After about 5 hours of getting the run around and getting arrested, I gave up. Just a bit too frustrating and not enough to it for me I guess. I also didn't find the story at all appealing.

I tried to get into the Godfather on the XBox and PC but I quit playing both times after about 3 hours. I then rented it for the Wii and I can say the Blackhand edition is far more enjoyable; played it for about 16 hours before I had to return it. I was tempted to run out and buy it immediately, but honestly I felt a bit guilty about the enjoyment I was having doing too many evil deeds; still plan on buying it eventually.
From what little I played of GTA I can say they are somewhat similar, but the story from the get go is far superior in the GodFather.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 03:44:36 PM by kronovan » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »

don't forget scarface and saints row.  both have a couple of good qualities, most notably the customization and collectability of the cars/clothing/property.  property of course only in scarface, as you acquire all of saint's properties through missions, not money.  i like the driving gunplay better with these two than with gta/godfather as you can aim in every direction, not just side to side.  i also have enjoyed the different side games both have, although scarface's island-hopping drug running got monotonous, enough that i never made enough cash to buy every property. 

i played scarface to near completion and have 15 hours or so into saints row, and have played every gta since the top down days, plus godfather, mafia, and true crime: LA.  it's hard to rank them since i appreciate aspects of each take on the genre.  other than driver 1, i haven't played the series at all. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 04, 2007, 05:54:50 PM

don't forget scarface and saints row.

...and Just Cause!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »

doh!  i even have this one.  pc version.  looks nice, but i do wish it worked the 360 controller.  of course, now that i have a 360, i'd rather play it on that instead. 

just one more game to glare at me from the backlog shelf.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: