http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 06:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War  (Read 13392 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I beat God of War last night.  The end fights are insanely frustruating, almost to the point where it ruined the game for me.  I pushed through though and finished.

It's an excellent game, perhaps excepting the end, but it's also very addicting and very short, a dangerous combination.

If you're like me -- not one to replay games -- I'd only recommend this as a rental.  You'll have a great time with it during your rental period, and by the time you're done with it, you'll be $45 richer than those of us who bought the game.
Oh yeah, I think my final playtime was around or under 10 hours.  Very short game.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2005, 09:08:26 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I'm glad I rented it, I've got a couple of days to finish it and I am at Pandora's temple now.

I was watching a Making of on G4techtv, and that got me wanting to try it out, but I don't think I could've ever purchased it for more than 20 bucks because as has been stated before the game is fairly Soul-less, it's great fun, but it's not one were you'll be thinking about the story or characters or even completely remember the game in a few years. It's actually something I feel is very common in Sony games.

up to hades challenge, &, while pandora's temple has ratcheted things up a couple notches (weirdly, with a little bit of modification, it's everything tr: angel of darkness could've been, should've been, & wasn't - someone send crystal dynamics a copy of gow!), i couldn't agree with tebunker more about the game being basically unmemorable - all style, little substance, & in no way worthy of the almost unanimously fawning reviews (you gotta wonder - have these reviewers ever played any zelda games?...

i do disagree with the 'all sony games' part, though. i loved mark of kri (you like wicked, viscious 'finishing moves'? - my man rau had one or two...), & am looking forward to rise of the kasai week after this...

oh well, ... finally, after winding my way through a months-long string of games that either lived up to or surpassed the pre-release hype/reviews, i've ended up crashing head-on into the stunningly beautiful brick wall that is gow smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2005, 10:22:15 PM »

Funny you bring up Mark of Kri - I got it for 10 bucks just yesterday to see if I'd like the new one coming out - my goodness, that camera is atrocious.  It's hard to play after playing God of War, as well.  I keep wanting to jump...break random stuff... frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2005, 10:58:29 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Funny you bring up Mark of Kri - I got it for 10 bucks just yesterday to see if I'd like the new one coming out - my goodness, that camera is atrocious.  It's hard to play after playing God of War, as well.  I keep wanting to jump...break random stuff... frown

don't remember the camera being a serious problem, but that was relative to whatever else was out there at the time, i guess...

i thought everything, the combat, the stealth, & the use of kuzo was all blended together really well, & was surprised by how comfortable the whole thing felt after just a little ways in. it was one of my first, & still one of my favorite, ps2 games...

but, if you still craving a 'jump & break stuff' fix, well, there's always dmc3 slywink ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2005, 02:52:36 AM »

Speaking of the camera angles...

I find them to be pretty well-done so far.  I only wish there was an option to re-center it behind Kratos.  I have had a few difficult parts (mostly those "walk on this long, thin board" instances) and jumps that were made more difficult because the camera was angled wrong.

That said, I'm rather glad they did such a great job with the camera and it makes the game much more cinematic than a free-floating camera.

Oh, and I wish it would save my display settings.  As it is I have to set it for widescreen and progressive each time I load it.  Not a big deal.  I suppose this is so it doesn't go crazy if you load it up on an different television.  Man, progressive sure makes the menus look infinitely better (and assumedly the game, too, but I didn't try it without).

I'm having a lot of fun with the game.  A shame it is so short.  I don't know if I will replay it so soon after I beat it, but it sure is one to break out and show off the power the PS2 is still capable of.

Oh, and the music is excellent.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »

I thought for a fixed camera it was the best implementation EVER.  And yes, I agree the musical score is quite nice.  Definitely puts me in the whole Greek kind of frame of mind.  This game was worth every penny I paid for it to me.  Took me in the 12-13 hour range and that is just about right for an intense action game.  My nerves aren't what they used to be.  That being said, I intend to try God mode.  Pray the gods will favor me with the skills necessary.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2005, 11:59:06 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I thought for a fixed camera it was the best implementation EVER.

yeah, it's really well done, a lot of it accomplished simply by pulling it back a bit when called for...

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2005, 02:00:27 AM »

Okay, here's a question for everyone who's reached Pandora's Temple. There is a fight after getting the two shields that is on a large wooden floor. At the tail end of it, the floor drops out. I've played this a dozen times tonight and I can't figure out how to get past this. Thoughts?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2005, 02:24:04 AM »

I think it is a timed fight.
try to take them out as soon as possible.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2005, 03:00:12 AM »

Wrath of the Gods is really useful in that fight. That's how I managed it.

If your wrath meter isn't full, I guess you could try magic, but I think it would be tough. Backtracking and getting full Wrath for the fight might be an option....
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »

Quote from: "greeneggsnham"
Wrath of the Gods is really useful in that fight. That's how I managed it.

If your wrath meter isn't full, I guess you could try magic, but I think it would be tough. Backtracking and getting full Wrath for the fight might be an option....

Man thats funny, of all the difficulty battles I have had, I had no trouble with that one. The only secret to that level is killing all the enemies before the floor opens. Its probably best to use the spinning attack of the blade of artemis for the extra damage.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2005, 04:01:36 AM »

That's what I figured, that it was timed. I have full Wrath meter but I never use it. What's the button combo on that again?

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2005, 04:07:18 AM »

Press down on both thumbsticks at once.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2005, 04:23:35 AM »

I'd recommend breaking the shields first with the square, square, triangle combo and then hitting your rage of gods, it makes it a lot easier and makes your meter usage that much better.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2005, 01:26:38 PM »

Holy shit! Picked this up yesterday and had a blast with it last night. I dont care if it is only ~10hrs, its worth every penny for the gameplay. I thnk this is what I'll be playing until DLC arrives for Halo2.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2005, 10:07:19 AM »

I just finished it - wonderful game.  There were two annoying-ish parts of the game near the end, but it was a small price to pay for such a great overall package.  I never play through games like this (I'm picky, picky, picky) but I never felt compelled to stop playing this ever during it's small (I beat it in 8.5 hours) but exciting campaign.

The fixed camera worked flawlessly.  Best use of a fixed camera I've witnessed in a game.  The art style was great.  The fighting controls were so smooth.  

Let me tell ya, once you max out your level on your blades...man, you've got a lot of moves at your disposal.  It's nearly possible to stay in the air while doing a few different movies - it worked so well.  

Fantastic game.  Can't wait for the next one.  Zero real complaints.  There was one somewhat tedious level, two annoying parts, and I never used that fury move (click in the thumbsticks).  Seriously.  I hit it on accident twice with no enemies around and just fooled around with it.  But I'd definitely give it a score in the 90th percentile.  Not sure which exactly, but it was good.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2005, 03:58:55 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Rage"

If DMC3 was made...say..with a semi-reasonable difficulty mode, I would be on it like white on rice in a sexy honey lime burritto. Instead, our Japanese buddies decided to go ninja-crazy on my ass and make it (according to nearly everyone, including those that love the game) so difficult that it amounts to an exercise in frustration.

Now, God of War's regular difficulty level is not that bad, but to me, its not that easy either! Given that, I doubt I could survive DMC3.

I couldn't agree more...well maybe I could but I doubt it.

I have an hour, maybe two to play at night I don't want to spend that repeating the same crap because I (admititedly) suck

It makes me very happy to see you think the difficulty of GoW is reasonable.   Makes my wallet unhappy but the rest of me it
great.

Farleybarnstormer: I take it you haven't picked up GOW yet? If not, let me throw out a few points. I tend to like these action games in limited quantities. I loved the original DMC and was able to get through it with a little frustration. I thought Ninja Gaiden's camera angles, 2x2 foot rooms with 78 ninjas and absurd difficulty was not fun at all. I liked the cheese and relative ease (and rhymes) of the Onimusha series.

God of War seriously takes everything good out of every action game ever and puts it together. The controls are flawless and intuitive. The combat/combo system IS somewhat basic, but with my blades of chaos now upgraded to level 3, I have like 7-8 fairly simple combo moves to use that require a few simple button presses, and look and sound like an oiled up, naked, recently shaved Elisha Cuthbert. They are hot, sexy, and cool.

Kratos is an awesome protagonist, utterly unforgiving in his brutality and self-absorption. His quest for redemption for "past sins" is that much more ironic by the fact that he continues to treat the random people of Greece as so much cattle. Anyways, I am only...3.5 hours in? So, I dont want to overstate the lasting appeal of the game. But its good. I suggest getting it.

This review alone sold me on this one.  You should write for the front page of CG, Rage. biggrin  
It really sounds well rounded and its been a while since I picked up something for the PS2(PC dominates).  Now if I can just scrape some dough together...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »

Coincidentally, our review is ALSO on the front page.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »

Sure, you could fly through it with a rental, but this is a game you want in your library. It's worth it. What action game would you say is better? It absolutely blows away Prince of Persia and Devil May Cry. The combat is 10x better, and it's much more epic and less frustrating overall. Sure, I wouldn't give it a perfect 10 or anything, but it's 9+ easy. It's at the top of its class. Heck, I think it was the best game of the year so far. That means beating out Resident Evil 4 and Mercenaries and Brothers in Arms.

The camera was almost perfect for being a fixed camera. The only thing is that I really wanted to be able to spin it once in a while. However, there was one spot where I hated it. Right before the Architects Tomb where you have to jump across moving platforms with blades spinning between them. Having to go back over that with the camera pointing in the wrong direction was frustrating.

For ye Frugal Gamers out there, KBToys has the game for $40 shipped. Use coupon code KBSG05 to take off another $5.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2005, 07:55:28 PM »

Great review, Loren.  I really like how you put the platforming parts in the endgame were frustrating - I agree.

What I don't agree with is your 89/100 for control - which was the lowest of all the catagories.  I think God of War strives on it's amazing control to stay fresh, fluid and fun to play.  If I were reviewing it, I'd make the score for control the highest out of any section.  Of course, this kind of intercepts with the "gameplay" department, so I don't know.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Great review, Loren.  I really like how you put the platforming parts in the endgame were frustrating - I agree.

What I don't agree with is your 89/100 for control - which was the lowest of all the catagories.  I think God of War strives on it's amazing control to stay fresh, fluid and fun to play.  If I were reviewing it, I'd make the score for control the highest out of any section.  Of course, this kind of intercepts with the "gameplay" department, so I don't know.

I agree on this. Spot-on review for the most part, but the controls I would rank higher as they are, to me, far more intuitive than, say, Ninja Gaiden's were. I'm playing GOW and doing all sorts of merciless combos and pulling in 40 to 50 hits per fight, but in NG I struggled to remember what even some basic moves were. I also don't think the graphics are as stellar as everyone else, but they are damn impressive. Question - does Progressive Scan make all the difference? I tried to turn it on but apparently my TV doesn't support it. frown

After LOST tonight, I think it's time to beat down everyone else in Pandora's Temple. :twisted:

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Question - does Progressive Scan make all the difference? I tried to turn it on but apparently my TV doesn't support it. frown

Progressive Scan makes a world of difference; the graphics are much more crisp  in 480p. I do, however, sometimes get some slight distortion with the progressive scan (almost like artifacts). But that is rare enough that I don't really notice it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2005, 05:16:12 AM »

OK, these stupid blade pillars in Hades are seriously pissing me off.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2005, 05:25:35 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
OK, these stupid blade pillars in Hades are seriously pissing me off.

I just got through that part today. The game dropped some serious degrees in my eyes because of those stupid-ass things. Fight after fight after fight plus those fucking blade pillars caused me to be screaming with rage this afternoon. The wife wanted to see what I was playing and then agreed after a few minutes of watching me that those things were beyond stupid. There is a pattern for both of the pillars though, but it's so damned frustrating getting through them. I hated the entirety of Hades. Reminded me of the infamous Dreamer's Realm from Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Xen in Half-Life.. Rock solid game up to that one board which managed to almost single-handily wipe out any and all good will the game had accrued to that point. :evil:

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2005, 06:51:42 AM »

Just finished, and I can can honestly say that GoW is now my favorite action game ever.  Other than some incredibly annoying platforming sections at the end, GoW is a solid, fantastic A+ title.  A little short (I fiished just under 10 hours), but I'd rather have 10 hours that well done than something longer that wasn't as polished.

GoW deserves every bit of te glowing praise that's being heaped on it.  If something can top that for Game of the Year, it's going to have to be a truly amazing piece of work.

Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2005, 08:00:34 AM »

Hehe, is no one paying any attention to how much time they actually spent playing the game? It's not a 10hr game, unless you never actually died and replayed anything.

The in-game played time is using its own clock and resets itself each time you die. My end game time was 9hrs ~30mins, but I probably spent 15-18hrs or so playing.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2005, 06:02:57 PM »

Beat it this morning. Holy crap did Ares beat the hell out of me, so much so that the game had to take pity on me and set the challenge to Easy. Screw you, game, I don't need your stinkin' pity!!!! Bah!

I liked the ending, but as terrifically fun as the game was, the Hades level coupled with the insanity of the final boss fight really knock the game out of the A+ rating for me. I'd have to knock it down to a B+ for the game then boost it back up to an A- with the sheer amount of documentaries and behind the scenes stuff that is unlocked. Anyone know how and where to get the "Secret Messages"?

I loved the game for the most part if only for the sheer amount of damage you can dish out. Add to that the combos and finishing moves per enemy and the amount of stress relief that goes with the early game and this one will be replayed quite a bit.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2005, 06:14:15 PM »

*spoiler*

secret message #2 can be gotten by smashing the 2 statues flanking the gow throne at the very, very end...

Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »

semiconscious, is that only on Sparten or God mode? I tried doing that in Normal, but no go.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2005, 04:14:32 AM »

Got $28 store credit this afternoon, so it really only ended up costing me $22.  Not bad for that good of a game.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2005, 06:23:11 PM »

Quote from: "Reed"
semiconscious, is that only on Sparten or God mode? I tried doing that in Normal, but no go.

Yeah, it didn't work for me either. So either I was doing it wrong or it requires a hell of a lot more strength than I could muster.

/shrug

Either way, stellar game until Hades, at which point it goes in the toilet until you get back to Athens. Then there's that insane second fight during the Ares battle followed by that cheap-ass final battle with Ares where you're limited in your attacks but him? Oh no, he can still attack and kick your ass with tons of different attacks. Lame. :roll:

zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2005, 06:28:37 PM »

is anyone else playing this game and wishing for a new greek mythology themed film? i love the clash of the titans film, but that came out in 1980. it's time for some new films! anyone agree?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:16 PM »

Quote from: "zuggo"
is anyone else playing this game and wishing for a new greek mythology themed film? i love the clash of the titans film, but that came out in 1980. it's time for some new films! anyone agree?

I really like the charm of those Ray Harryhausen-produced films with their archaic special effects.  I'm sure a new one would be cool, but I have zero faith in Hollywood.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2005, 01:13:02 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "zuggo"

I really like the charm of those Ray Harryhausen-produced films with their archaic special effects.  I'm sure a new one would be cool, but I have zero faith in Hollywood.

Rob Cohen, director of Fast and the Furious and XXX, is making a new Sinbad movie and he's brought Harryhausen out of retirement to consult on the special effects.  It will still be CGI but he's looking to get some of that stop-motion flavor and character in it.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »

Well.  I have to say I was loving this game up until the architects tomb.  I just simply have no desire to try to get through that room again.

Do the designers of games like these understand the difference between a puzzle and a chore?  The puzzle in the room is simple: find the buttons, open the door, then hit a button and race to get through the door before it closes.  Easy enough.  But everytime I miss a jump I have to go back to when I entered the room... before I fought a long ass battle.  No option to save at any point in the room.

I will never understand why some designers fail to understand that forcing players to play sections of the game again and again is the best way to frustrate players and get them to stop playing your otherwise fun game.  I guess that's what so frustrating about GoW in that aspect.  The beginning was a blast.  The first part of the Temple of the Gods was still fun, then it kept going... and going... and going... and going.  The game just slows down and dies in that temple.

Okay... I think I got it all out of my system. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2005, 04:04:52 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Do the designers of games like these understand the difference between a puzzle and a chore?  The puzzle in the room is simple: find the buttons, open the door, then hit a button and race to get through the door before it closes.  Easy enough.  But everytime I miss a jump I have to go back to when I entered the room... before I fought a long ass battle.  No option to save at any point in the room.

s

Is this the room where you have to jump over the moving razor blades from platform to platform until you reach an area with multiple doors that need to be opened?

If so, there should be a save point to the left of the room's entrance, right before you jump on the first platform. I saved after I opened any door or killed any monster (it's much easier jumping back to the save point since there is no time limit).
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »

Yup that's the room.

However it's getting across, doing everything, then getting back across all in one piece without any saving that's getting me pissed off.  Honestly all they would have had to do to make me happy here is to put a save or even a checkpoint near that crane that I could use after I get past the pit the first time and past the dogs.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2005, 05:35:28 PM »

If you open the right-hand door then do some of the stuff there, a save point should appear. Oh, and this stuff is nothing. Wait until you get later in the game where you encounter what I call The Towers of Pain. Towers you have to climb up that are rotating at different intervals (as each tower has three or four sections to it) and each part is covered in blades. Worst jumping puzzle, ever. I was on the verge of Hulking out during this part. :evil:

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2005, 06:08:58 PM »

If you open the right-hand door then do some of the stuff there, a save point should appear. Oh, and this stuff is nothing. Wait until you get later in the game where you encounter what I call The Towers of Pain. Towers you have to climb up that are rotating at different intervals (as each tower has three or four sections to it) and each part is covered in blades. Worst jumping puzzle, ever. I was on the verge of Hulking out during this part.

Hmm I thought I looked everywhere and I didn't see a save point, but then again if it only gets worse I think I'll just call it quits.

*sniff* I thought GoW was different. *sniff* I thought someone had finally figured out how to make a fun action game. *sniff*

I feel so used. :?

s

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2005, 07:48:01 PM »

Sepiche, through that door I think the save point appears once you drop the cable and slide down it. So go scale the walls and breeze through the enemies, throw the switch, run back and slide down that cable and then I think a save point will be there. Overall, the game rules hard EXCEPT for the last part (that I can't discuss in detail without giving away one of the cooler setups).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: