http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 04:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War  (Read 13456 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 06:14:31 AM »

Um. OK. Kathode loaned me the demo tonight, and I have to say, this is the most fun I have had with a game in a LONG time. This is just awesome. Super combat, tons of combos and shit that I havent even gotten close to figuring out, a deceptively deep yet simple combo system, amazing graphics, a cool ass protagonist. I am SO IN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY!! This better come in tomorrow night!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2005, 04:31:01 PM »

Alright, do we have some real impressions yet?

I admit I am mostly interested in how hard/easy it is.  I loved games like Onimusha but games like DMC made me cry...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005, 04:40:38 PM »

Game should be out today in most videogame stores (EB, Gamestop).  I haven't heard any impressions yet outside of the reviews.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 04:43:46 PM »

I'm picking up my copy this afternoon.  Can't wait.

Something tells me it's really going to be a struggle to actually get to the gym instead of going right home and playing GoW all night.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »

bad news: stuck at work

good new: short day

edit: this from gamerankings (as of now):

On 3/22 the PlayStation 2 received a new game from SCEA titled God of War.  Since then 11 sites and magazines have reviewed it including Gamespy, GameSpot, Playstation Magazine and Game Zone.  Together their reviews have resulted in an average ratio of 97.1%.  That ratio has resulted in this title becoming the 3rd best game of all time and the 1st best game on the PlayStation 2.

is it just me, or is this all getting just a lit-tle bit silly?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 06:06:32 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I admit I am mostly interested in how hard/easy it is.  I loved games like Onimusha but games like DMC made me cry...

It's on the easy side. There has been some concern that it's even too easy, but there is a God mode available that's supposed to ramp it up considerably.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 06:58:12 PM »

Picking it up on the way home today.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 08:12:07 PM »

got mine yesterday, had some time to play a bit.  First level was easy.  First boss wasnt to bad either.  2nd level, not finding it so easy.  Fight minotaurs and gorgons at the same time.  HARD.  Gorgon stones you, Mino bashes stone.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 08:52:17 PM »

Rage gets game after finish eating. Rage excited. Rage hasn't found a game in a long time he really likes.

Rage pissed off at Kathode for not responding to emails when computer is on the verge of COLLAPSE!!!!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 08:58:26 PM »

Rage needs to learn to say "I" instead of "rage" all of the time? :wink:  Just kiddin`!
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2005, 09:40:17 PM »

After an hour of play I just finished the first level and boss fight.

Epic doesn't even begin to describe how this game feels. The sound, the graphics, the blood, the gore, the guts its like nothing that has ever been done before.

This is the best game I have ever played. It feels like I am discovering video games for the first time, despite the fact that I've been playing them for 25+ years.

If you don't own a PS2 this is the reason to buy one.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2005, 10:09:37 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Rage needs to learn to say "I" instead of "rage" all of the time? :wink:  Just kiddin`!

Hehehe! I know that must seem annoying, but for some reason I get a chuckle out of it when I do it. It just seems to go with the surly Rage persona!! So, Rage will keep doing it!! HULK SMASH!!

:oops:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

Epic doesn't even begin to describe how this game feels. The sound, the graphics, the blood, the gore, the guts its like nothing that has ever been done before.

This is the best game I have ever played. It feels like I am discovering video games for the first time, despite the fact that I've been playing them for 25+ years.

Would you Sex with god of war? Im going out to buy it now smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 10:20:42 PM »

I sense you are not sure yet about the game....could you play a few more hours and tell us how you really feel?

Thanks.  :wink:

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2005, 10:51:36 PM »

Played it for another hour, God of War is the alpha and the omega. You shall have no other games before It.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 10:52:45 PM »

Oh and incase anyone is still on the fence, this game has naked boobies in it.

Unforturnately there are no DDR type minigames associated with them.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 10:53:28 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

My belly is already ripe with God of War's spawn.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 10:55:47 PM »

THis is both disgusting, anatomically impossible, and ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Im not going to load mine up until I figure out why my computer is acting like its virused
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2005, 12:50:12 AM »

Im not going to load mine up until I figure out why my computer is acting like its virused

Because it is. There, I just saved you plenty of time. Go play God of War and get those impressions back to us. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Because it is. There, I just saved you plenty of time. Go play God of War and get those impressions back to us. biggrin

Well in the time since I wrote that, I formatted C: (had already saved all my stuff), and played some Final Fantasy X while doing it (runing through the game again, still my all time favorite RPG). ANyways, to make a long story short, the computer is back up and running and I am reinstalling games, and as soon as I put some food in me I am going to start playing God of War and being totally sexed out!!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2005, 01:15:00 AM »

Ok, I'm through the first level, which is just the demo, plus the last boss fight that you miss.  So that's all good.  

Next up, a little backtracking which I did not enjoy at all.  I missed the zipline you're supposed to take from the boss area, and ended up going far back the wrong way, and jumping all around like an ass.  Then when I finally found the right way to go, I couldn't remember where the door was, and ended up going too far back again.  

Then I got to the second level, and let's just say the sex minigame is... interesting.  smile  Let's see how the second level is.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2005, 01:15:28 AM »

Diablo 2 was my last hack&slash, and that is when it first came out.
FPS,RPG, strat, sports\racing & mmrpg. have been my joy since then.
played for 6 hours straight and I must say. The graphics are grrreat for a PS2 game. I felt like I was playing on the Box.
So when I say this game is a must have it is.
The camera cannot be controled but it is always in the right place.
the action is exciting and intense. with lots of eye candy.
the puzzels so far have all been common scense but creative.
I have not found the game difficult at all. I have died more from not cordinating a jump correctly that from the baddies.
Life and mana are all over and there is no shortage of them at all.
Save and restart points or perfect also.
Most important of all for me there is no respawning if you cleard an are and had to go back, thank god.
in 6 hours I saved the orcle and fought one boss Hydra maybe two if madussa is considered a boss.
I am now on the road to find pandoras box. so If anyone need help just give a shout..
If you are someone who can play for 1-2hours at a time and hate doing the same thing over and over this is the game for you.
I am realy enjoying it considering I went to the store to buy TimeSplitter:FP
Great game so for It is wort owning.
I should mention I rented DMC2 and hated it.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2005, 01:24:39 AM »

Killing the minotaurs instantly erases any negative feelings I had about the first level.  It's so cool to slowly shove your sword in their face and then jam it in.  Rage of the gods is awesome as well.  Turns you into this big knight dude who just goes apeshit on everyone.  This game is incredible.  Get it now.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »

My preorder for God of War is in, but it's already dark and quite a drive to go pick it up.  Guess I'll be getting into this game tomorrow...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2005, 02:06:22 AM »

Whee! I'm having a lot of fun playing God of War. I like the uncompromising characterization of Kratos. What a nice nice guy. I'm pretty lousy at action  games and the difficulty on normal is fine. I don't know what it is, but I just just don't want to stop playing.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2005, 02:55:11 AM »

this one goes out to my wife:

i was sitting with my husband late one night
when my eyes beheld an eerie sight
a monster from his game began to rise
& suddenly, to my surprise,

he did the mash
(he did the kratos mash)
the kratos mash
(it was an athens smash)
the kratos mash
(it caught on in a flash)
he did the mash
(he did the kratos mash)...

i was getting nowhere with the hydra - & then i started really mashing, & that was that. so, whatever, boss battle, gotta expect some serious mashing, i guess...

but then i get to my first minotaur...

what in the hell is it with the mashing in this game?!...

other than that, it's fun (if a bit empty-feeling). must say i'm not as impressed (this early on, anyway) as i was with dmc3...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2005, 03:15:56 AM »

The CGFE is strong with this one...

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2005, 04:31:44 AM »

This game is just wowing the heck out of me.  Yeah, it is a bit mashy early on, but I'm already (partway into the second level) running into enemies that'll block and counter enough that I'm having to use actual tactics.   I'm also not convinced a lot of it has to do with not having enough moves unlocked and mastered.

I absolutely love all the cool button matching moments.  It lets you get finishing moves that are incredibly cinematic, while still keeping the player involved.  I always hate how in most games you're fighting some huge monster, and when you finally whittle him down, he just keels over dead.  With these big uglies, they actually get a sendoff worthy of them.  It'll also teach you which button is which right quick.

Also, it looks pretty damn fantastic running in widescreen progressive scan mode.  biggrin

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2005, 04:40:19 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Killing the minotaurs instantly erases any negative feelings I had about the first level.  It's so cool to slowly shove your sword in their face and then jam it in.  Rage of the gods is awesome as well.  Turns you into this big knight dude who just goes apeshit on everyone.  This game is incredible.  Get it now.

Yeah, the minotaur fatality is awesome, although I think my girlfriend is getting concerned for my/her well being. She walked into the room while I was mashing on the controler, staring intently at the screen and screaming "EAT MY SWORD YOU FUCKING BULLWHORE"
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2005, 06:58:01 AM »

4 hours in and my opinion still hasn't changed.

God of War does for the action/adventure genre what Mario 64 did for platformers and what Half Life did for FPS's.

Kratos could utterly destory the combined force of Dante, Ryu, Rygar, Joe, and the entire Belmont clan.

Time for bed.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »

Great stuff so far - I am incredibly impressed.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2005, 12:17:31 PM »

Got my copy late last night as well.  Holy smokes!  Must...resist...urge...to play...other...reviews...pressing!

I'd say that this one is a must have.  I've heard its about 15 hours long which wouldn't break my heart if every hour is as good as the first two.  

And just so Mitch knows...the game has....

BOOBIES!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2005, 12:50:42 PM »

Played for an hour or so tonight and got to the Hydra.  I'm loving it so far.  Kratos' Blades of Chaos has got to be one of the coolest weapons.  Even without the blades, he's one bad mutha.  
Great music and atmosphere gets the blood pumping.  I think this one's a keeper.  biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »

Played for an hour or so tonight and got to the Hydra. I'm loving it so far. Kratos' Blades of Chaos has got to be one of the coolest weapons.

The boss Hydra has to be one of the best minigames I've seen in a while.  It was difficult enough to be challenging and I definately got the feeling that I was a flyspec compared to that thing.  Wait till you see what you have to do to kill it!  The second level is better but more difficult.  When you start upgrading your blades you'll see some awesome moves.  

What I find funny is that last E3 they showed this title and people were pretty 'meh' about it.  Amazing what year in the cooker can do for ya, eh?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2005, 01:25:35 PM »

"Wow."
"Damn."
"Amazing."
"Oh my God, look at what I just did."
"Holy shit."

I must have said each of these at least a dozen times while playing through the first couple hours last night.  I'm not a big fan of action platformers, but this game is the real deal.    It's got a truly epic feel, remarkable graphics (this is in my PS2 and not my X-Box, right?), fluid combat, and an absolutely brutal main character.  One of the few games that they managed to get everything just right.  So far, all the gushing reviews are right on the money.

Regarding the difficulty, it's perfect for me so far.  I'm usually horrible at these games, but I'm not having any trouble so far.  Everything about he combat just feels right.  And yes, the fatalities are sweet.  I especially dig the one on the cave-troll-looking guy.  Running through his legs, up his back, and pounding on his head is just so...satisfying.  smile

FYI, on the back of your manual there is a code for Sony's website that allows you download the soundtrack for free.  That is a very, very good thing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »

http://www.gucomics.com/

hahhahaha

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 03:18:39 PM »

I bought this before the Forum effect could even take hold, so I will not chalk it up to that.  But this game is fantastic.  The story, the voice over is great, from what I have heard.  The Monsters.  Some of the fights have given me some trouble, mostly I think cuz I am prolly a idiot.  Normally when everyone here raves about something, i grab it, and its not what I wanted.  This time the raving, is correct..smile
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 03:29:12 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
[quote

What I find funny is that last E3 they showed this title and people were pretty 'meh' about it.  Amazing what year in the cooker can do for ya, eh?

Really? The trailers included with the game list several E3 awards and nominations.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »

Kratos could utterly destory the combined force of Dante, Ryu, Rygar, Joe, and the entire Belmont clan.

funny you should say that...

am i really the only one up here, having reached downtown athens, who's wondering "when the hell does the story kick in?" cuz, while i agree with everything being said about the looks & the gameplay (tho 'kill, get red vapor stuff, use red vapor stuff to upgrade' does kinda remind me of another game i played recently smile ), & i know story is usually kinda 'secondary' in games like this, so far, gow's been like a cop movie that opens with 2 slick, over-the-top 20 minute car chases, broken up by a couple radio dispatches (goddesses)...

anyway, sorry if i'm whining. i think the game's pretty cool, but 'great'? - it's just not striking me as 'great' (& the great games i've played usually have by this time)...

(&, as far as humor content, the only thing that's made me laugh so far is the couple times i've hit the circle button near an enemy, only to accidentally grab an innocent civilian & throttle the crap out of them. pretty sick...)

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »

The story kicks in once you rescue the oracle, which if you are in athens is probably about an hour away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: