http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 01:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War  (Read 13678 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2005, 01:45:08 AM »

impressions/interview here

must admit, i don't spend lots of time fantasizing about the pleasures inherent in being a psychotic, blood-thirsty killing machine living in ancient greece, which probably explains my initial lack of interest in this title. but, since playing dmc3, all that's somewhat changed. while usually more comfortable playing as someone like link or snake or claire redfield, i'm slowly but surely starting to feel my 'inner kratos' beginning to rise to the surface...

i like the way the dave jaffe, in the above interview & another i've read, describes the gameplay - he makes it sound like they had a clear idea of what they were up to from the get-go, & a lot of fun putting it all together, drawing on a number of good influences & sources...

so, anyone else up for this come next tuesday or wednesday?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:54:36 AM »

This is my single most-anticipated title this year.  The demo absolutely blew me away.  Epic is the only word I can think to describe it.  I actually wish the weekend were over just so we could get to this puppy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 03:15:12 AM »

I'm absolutely picking this up.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 04:23:03 AM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:04:02 AM »

I didn't have much interest in GoW until I caught part of the G4 "Making of" special tonight.  That game looks damn cool now.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 05:44:40 AM »

I figured they'd review it tonight...IGN gives it a 9.8

I haven't read the review yet...doing that now.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 05:55:11 AM »

Hmmm...sounds like Ivan is trying to write a fictional romance in his review or something.  I am kind of surprised he gave it a 9.8 given that there is the good old platforming elements that if you miss a jump you're dead instantly and that the puzzles seem stupid (his words).  I am also very disappointed in his final words:

"If you're not yet sold, you likely never will be. Attempting to summarize God of War in this little space also feels like it'd be an injustice, so I'll not even bother trying anymore.

Purchase it, rent it, borrow it, whatever it. Just play the game. Just beat the game."

Yeah Ivan, that's great for those people that skip to the last page in order to read the final thoughts and see this short version.  He also doesn't talk about the game being hard either and I have heard it is DMC3 level hard and possibly surpasses it.

The other interesting thing in the review is the 12-15 hour playtime.  Many people will probably not buy the game because they feel it is too short.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 06:13:36 AM »

He also doesn't talk about the game being hard either and I have heard it is DMC3 level hard and possibly surpasses it.

And with that info, my interest level just went back down to nil.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 06:47:27 AM »

Well, I've only heard, so you can keep that candle burning with the hope what I've heard is not true biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 07:05:07 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
He also doesn't talk about the game being hard either and I have heard it is DMC3 level hard and possibly surpasses it.

And with that info, my interest level just went back down to nil.

Is there anything below nil? Because thats about how much interest in this new trend of "make shit hard and fool some poor dumbshits into thinking that makes the game better/require more skill/longer".
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Please, folks, please, don't trust IGN reviews.  Wait for Gamespot or someone respectable to give the final word.  Remember that the I in IGN stands for 'hyperbole', the G stands for 'bad journalism', and the N stands for 'full of sh*t'.

AgtFox, re: 12-15 hour game time limit.  Wow, I hope people aren't turned off by this length.  12 - 15 hours is the sweet spot for action games, it allows for replayability and good pacing.  Let's not make this a game time issue.  Sure think that complaint is getting old myself, and it totally ignores quality pacing in a game, which has little to do with length in hours.

Sure hope it's not too difficult, though.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »

I don't see the difficulty as a huge turn-off personally.  In the case of Devil May Cry 1 and 3 you can make the case that since Dante is immortal (I mean, he takes tons of swords in the opening movie of DMC3 without dying) he shouldn't be dying as often (if at all) as he does in the game.  However, what fun would a game be if you were totally invulnerable?

With God of War I'm just going on what I've heard.  Chances are since it shares the kind of combo system that DMC3 has that the enemies are as difficult and numerous.  Who knows, it may not be overly difficult.

As for the "new trend"...I actually say it is an old trend that has come back into prominence.  Think back to games like Contra (can you beat it with the base 3 lives or do you have to use the trick?), Super Mario Bros. (if you hadn't have spent so much time on it, could you beat the game in just a few lives?), Ninja Gaiden (any of them, including the Xbox one), etc.  They were all hard games, but we've grown into our 20s (or later) and we forget how hard those games used to be and how long we spent in order to beat them.  Then new games come along with a high difficulty level and we whimper and go into the fetal position.  Why is that?  I don't find DMC3 anymore difficult than those games of old.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 07:58:03 AM »

Quote from: "dandylife"

Please, folks, please, don't trust IGN reviews.  Wait for Gamespot or someone respectable to give the final word.  Remember that the I in IGN stands for 'hyperbole', the G stands for 'bad journalism', and the N stands for 'full of sh*t'.

AgtFox, re: 12-15 hour game time limit.  Wow, I hope people aren't turned off by this length.  12 - 15 hours is the sweet spot for action games, it allows for replayability and good pacing.  Let's not make this a game time issue.  Sure think that complaint is getting old myself, and it totally ignores quality pacing in a game, which has little to do with length in hours.

Sure hope it's not too difficult, though.

Oh, I'm not moaning about the length...I love ICO and that game is only 4 hours long.  I know many people who base their purchase on the amount of time a game takes to beat though, so that is why I added it in there.

I also agree with you on IGN, however I knew they would be the first and probably today.  We'll probably see Gamespot's on Monday is my guess.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »

I don't see the difficulty as a huge turn-off personally.  In the case of Devil May Cry 1 and 3 you can make the case that since Dante is immortal (I mean, he takes tons of swords in the opening movie of DMC3 without dying) he shouldn't be dying as often (if at all) as he does in the game.  However, what fun would a game be if you were totally invulnerable?

With God of War I'm just going on what I've heard.  Chances are since it shares the kind of combo system that DMC3 has that the enemies are as difficult and numerous.  Who knows, it may not be overly difficult.

As for the "new trend"...I actually say it is an old trend that has come back into prominence.  Think back to games like Contra (can you beat it with the base 3 lives or do you have to use the trick?), Super Mario Bros. (if you hadn't have spent so much time on it, could you beat the game in just a few lives?), Ninja Gaiden (any of them, including the Xbox one), etc.  They were all hard games, but we've grown into our 20s (or later) and we forget how hard those games used to be and how long we spent in order to beat them.  Then new games come along with a high difficulty level and we whimper and go into the fetal position.  Why is that?  I don't find DMC3 anymore difficult than those games of old.

I was never really good at hard games, even back when I was a kid.  Having to replay the same parts of a game over and over because it was so hard just made me lose interest in the game, even back then.

Difference is, back then if it was a game I really wanted to get through, I had hours and hours to spend on it.  I could spend hours dying in the same spot 50 times because I could always spend the next few hours getting past it.  Nowadays, with 2 jobs, house, wife, etc., I don't want to spend the time doing the same thing over and over and getting nowhere.  A long gaming session for me is an hour, and the prospect of replaying a boss fight or a certain section over and over while not moving the game ahead causes me to completely lose interest.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 03:33:27 PM »

As for hardness, I played the first level many times and it never made me cuss or anything.  Just right by my tastes.  Now, Ninja Gaiden, that one is way beyond me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 06:30:11 PM »

Difference is, back then if it was a game I really wanted to get through, I had hours and hours to spend on it.  I could spend hours dying in the same spot 50 times because I could always spend the next few hours getting past it.  Nowadays, with 2 jobs, house, wife, etc., I don't want to spend the time doing the same thing over and over and getting nowhere.  A long gaming session for me is an hour, and the prospect of replaying a boss fight or a certain section over and over while not moving the game ahead causes me to completely lose interest.

tho i basically agree with you about this (which's why most of my gaming nowadays is of the rpg/strat variety), there always seems to be one of those cinematic, high-end, balls-to-the-wall action games, like dmc3 (&, to a lesser degree, re4), that, as a long-time gamer, i kinda feel 'obligated' to check out - not necessarily finish, but at least mess around with, get my mind blown a bit, & see just how far i personally can go...

&, if it turns out it's too much for me, well, there you go, you knew what you were getting into, thanks for the handful of not-so-cheap thrills, good-bye smile ...

yeah, i know i could just rent, but i don't do it so much that it adds up, plus i like supporting developers that are willing to go the extra distance & provide a 'not quite like anything else' experience - even if it is one an over-the-hill fart like me can't keep up with...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 09:22:20 PM »

None of the reviews I've read have mentioned the game being overly difficult, while pretty much all of the DMC3 reviews did.  Whether this means that it's not incredibly hard or they just didn't mention it, I don't know.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

tho i basically agree with you about this (which's why most of my gaming nowadays is of the rpg/strat variety), there always seems to be one of those cinematic, high-end, balls-to-the-wall action games, like dmc3 (&, to a lesser degree, re4), that, as a long-time gamer, i kinda feel 'obligated' to check out - not necessarily finish, but at least mess around with, get my mind blown a bit, & see just how far i personally can go...

&, if it turns out it's too much for me, well, there you go, you knew what you were getting into, thanks for the handful of not-so-cheap thrills, good-bye smile ...

yeah, i know i could just rent, but i don't do it so much that it adds up, plus i like supporting developers that are willing to go the extra distance & provide a 'not quite like anything else' experience - even if it is one an over-the-hill fart like me can't keep up with...

My problem wiht these games (and I know in a previous thread I posted a longer, well written analysis of this), is that these games are not "difficult" in the way that the average person thinks of something being difficult. Learning the correct combination of buttons or the correct sequence of actions to complete a level is not "difficult". Because you can do it and I can't does not mean you (you being anyone obviously) are more skilled than I am. The difficulty we find in modern games, specifically modern console games, is forced and almost always completely arbitrary. The fact that in DMC3 you supposedly need to choose a certain style of combat to have the best chance when you start is just stupid. The fact that you take so much damage that you have to figure out the split second when it is acceptable to attack else you die does not require skill-it takes patience yes, but for most gamers this will be solely an exercise in extreme frustration.

It takes pure skill for Zaxxon to be better than me at UT2K4 multiplayer (which he is, and not many are!). However, it took no skill for me to stand around in Ninja Gaiden and figure out the specific way of executing combo moves to get through every 4x4 room (Sorry ATB, I know you love this agme) because heaven forbid I get hit more than once by the 500 enemies that are in each room. That is frustration, not difficulty.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 01:15:24 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
My problem wiht these games (and I know in a previous thread I posted a longer, well written analysis of this), is that these games are not "difficult" in the way that the average person thinks of something being difficult. Learning the correct combination of buttons or the correct sequence of actions to complete a level is not "difficult". Because you can do it and I can't does not mean you (you being anyone obviously) are more skilled than I am. The difficulty we find in modern games, specifically modern console games, is forced and almost always completely arbitrary. The fact that in DMC3 you supposedly need to choose a certain style of combat to have the best chance when you start is just stupid. The fact that you take so much damage that you have to figure out the split second when it is acceptable to attack else you die does not require skill-it takes patience yes, but for most gamers this will be solely an exercise in extreme frustration.

i understand & agree with you. the dmc3 board at gamefaqs is chockful of people that've played through the game at least a half-dozen times & maxed out everything, & no, there's no way i'm interested in doing that or being that good at playing it, or any game for that matter (truth to tell, if you're that damn good at it, i'm not even sure there's a point to maxing things out, since you're already kicking ass as is - but what do i know...). but, yeah, dmc3 (at least the version released here, anyway) is definitely tipped toward that kind of player, someone not just into playing it, but into 'mastering' it, than some one like me who just wanted to play thru it once, &, yeah, that does add a huge amount of frustration to the fun (&, trust me, there was quite a bit of fun to be had, if you could manage to hack your way to it)...

&, as far as 'forced' difficulty goes, i posted a topic up here a while back about 'enemy hordes' (it don't get cheaper than that as far as i'm concerned), & someone else posted one about way-out-of-proportion final boss battles, &, between stuff like that & fetch quest that send you back over the same locations over'n'over, & poorly placed save points, & scarcity of ammo & power-ups, there's still way too much just plain 'unfair' stuff in a lot of games today, & it is all only there as a lazy means of padding out what'd otherwise be relatively short games...

but that's what separates the truly great games from most of what's out there, i guess, just like movies & music & everything else - building genuine difficulty into a game is an artform, & it's the rare game designer that's a genuine artist...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 02:07:20 AM »

Crap.  Just got the new issue of GI today and they gave it a 10/10.  Oddly enough, I tend to agree with most of their reviews (although I think they do inflate scores), so I'll at least have to give GoW a shot.

I'll probably take back the 3 used games I picked up yesterday (PoP:  WW, Zelda:  WW and Fable) and put the credit towards GoW.  PoP:  WW wasn't that impressive anyways, and I've already played the other two.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 02:16:09 AM »

Crap.  Just got the new issue of GI today and they gave it a 10/10.  Oddly enough, I tend to agree with most of their reviews (although I think they do inflate scores), so I'll at least have to give GoW a shot.

I'll probably take back the 3 used games I picked up yesterday (PoP:  WW, Zelda:  WW and Fable) and put the credit towards GoW.  PoP:  WW wasn't that impressive anyways, and I've already played the other two.

I would be interested in purchasing/trading for Fable or PoP if you go that route!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 06:57:53 AM »

Yeah, I have yet to hear of God of War's difficulty as anything near that of DMC 3.  Everything I've read is that its challenging but fair.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 07:10:48 AM »

Also, Gamespot just gave this a 9.3.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 07:17:47 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Seriously...I heard this one last night and from you just now.  So, I go to Gamespot, don't see it in the new reviews.  Then I type in "God of War" into the gamefinder on the left, click on the game and still see no review.  Is it like a hidden review or something, cuz I'm not seeing it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 07:26:24 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Seriously...I heard this one last night and from you just now.  So, I go to Gamespot, don't see it in the new reviews.  Then I type in "God of War" into the gamefinder on the left, click on the game and still see no review.  Is it like a hidden review or something, cuz I'm not seeing it.

Sorry- just got the scoop on this.

Evidently, there was a "glitch" Friday night and the score showed up in their list of games that have received an Editor's Choice award.  That has since been removed and a mod on the GS forums confirmed the glitch and stated the review would appear later in the weekend or on Monday but wouldn't confirm the score.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »

In the IGN insider video review, he says one of the small complaints is that the game is too easy and he recommends that it be played in hard mode for a proper challenge.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 05:42:23 PM »

Yeah, what Infoghost said. The demo for the game was ridiculously easy,  and I haven't read or seen anything that would indicate the final game is more demanding. AgtFox, where exactly did you hear that the game was difficult?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

One of those rumors that float around that I hear all the time.  Obviously it has been debunked biggrin

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 07:31:55 PM »

One of those rumors that float around that I hear all the time.  Obviously it has been debunked biggrin

Isn't that my job?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 02:23:59 AM »

too hard, too easy, just rite... all i know is, i'm starting to salivate a little...

don't have the demo, but watched a chunk of the gameplay movie on the psm disc (hell, if whoever that guy is can get thru it, i think i should be okay). looked like a button-mashing more than maneuvering -type game, combat-wise, tho it was just the very beginning bits...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 08:21:27 AM »

The Gamespot Review has reappeared...with 9.3 as previously said.

Also, it seems as if my rumor was for sure wrong I'm happy to say.  He says for any challenge you need to go for normal or even the hard mode.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 09:06:45 AM »

Hmm...Rage is back IN!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 09:20:17 AM »

Just watched GameSpot's video review, and this game is going to be hard to resist! It looks absolutely friggin' amazing!!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 11:16:17 AM »

Sounds like the PERFECT rental, especially with my blockbuster online coupon...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 11:32:10 AM »

I am so IN.   biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »

The demo hooked me, I'm totally onboard for this title.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »

Can't wait to get the game Wednesday and then I'm off Thursday and Friday.  Four day God of War orgy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »

Just to make the wait that much more difficult...

1UP has also reviewed it, and gave a 10/10.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 11:02:45 PM »

For a short while, it seemed that God of War was destined to be nothing more than one of many of IGN's weekly creams, but, with the release of the Gamespot review, this is now apparently a title worth getting legitimately excited over.  Can't wait to get it.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 11:53:14 PM »

Yeah, GameSpot tends to knock the wind out of those situations. It seems to be a pretty safe bet now. More reviews are coming in and it's unanimous so far.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: