http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War - why do they piss away a great game?!!!  (Read 2547 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2005, 06:45:08 PM »

What is the matter with developers?  I just got the the spinning tower blades of utter crap and I have to say the last few sections of the game have just been utter crap.

The stupid section with the spikes that come up from the ground and kill you and destroy the box to get get the necklace.  The dumb ass crap in Hades.

Why after such great sections, such fun, fun boss fights to they piss the whole game away with stupid sections?

It just isn't fun and it really has ruined the game experience for me.  

I tried getting up the spinning blade for a long time but after falling 30-40 times when even the smallest pixel of the blades touched me I just said screw it.

I don't even care if I finish the game.  Maybe I will pick it up in a few days but right now I am just so freaking pissed I can't even stand to look at the game.

I also have to say that this kind of crap at the end of the game really makes me wonder if reviewers really finish games.  It is a very good game but those sections are worth some points off.  And even if you can live with that it doesn't even really show up in reviews as something mentioned.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 06:57:10 PM »

I also have to say that this kind of crap at the end of the game really makes me wonder if reviewers really finish games. It is a very good game but those sections are worth some points off. And even if you can live with that it doesn't even really show up in reviews as something mentioned.

Maybe reviewers didn't find it as difficult as you did?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 07:17:50 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I also have to say that this kind of crap at the end of the game really makes me wonder if reviewers really finish games. It is a very good game but those sections are worth some points off. And even if you can live with that it doesn't even really show up in reviews as something mentioned.

have you played the section?

It isn't about difficulty.  It  is about stupid design decissions which don't match the rest of the game at all.  

Such a major shift in the basic game mechanics should be noted even if it is a section the reviewer gets by quickly.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 07:21:50 PM »

Exactly where the game rolled over and died for me too. The spikes in the ground was actually an interesting puzzle I thought, so I didn't have trouble there. When I got to Hades though... that game went into the toilet pronto. In addition to those stupid fucking Towers of Pain, right after each one you go into a major league brawl. Just try and get out of Hades and it's a frickin' nightmare. Dear God did I hate that section. Right after it is cool, but then the final battle with Ares is just as painful as Hades. I just restarted on God mode and keep getting owned by the Hydra so I doubt I'll ever make it through. Oh well.

Up until then it's stellar. My final grade would have to be a B+ because it does so much so well up to the end that I cannot in good conscience rate it an A-title. But that's me. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 07:22:16 PM »

The blade towers were lame.  And the last fights were lame.

I didn't have a problem with anything else.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

have you played the section?

It isn't about difficulty.  It  is about stupid design decissions which don't match the rest of the game at all.  

Such a major shift in the basic game mechanics should be noted even if it is a section the reviewer gets by quickly.

Got through that late last night. I died a few times but didn't have any significant problems with that section. And I have seen several reviews that cite platforming sections as uneven but they typically turn around and say that the greatness of the rest supercedes them.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »

Gotta agree - climbing those spinning towers of blade-doom frustrated me quite a bit.  Dep watched me play nearly the whole game, and he can attest its the only time I really tossed the controller  biggrin  But did they "piss" away GoW?  Certainly not.  I'm willing to forgive them because of the absolute blast I had for the first 7 hours.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 07:49:17 PM »

Is it just me or are gamers afraid of a challenge these days?  Sure those towers were annoying.  It took me maybe 15 minutes to get past them...  so 15 minutes of a challenging area that I guess ruined the experience for many gamers compared the the 8 or so hours of awesome parts.  Not worth giving up on the game for.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »

I too was not thrilled with those parts, but to be honest I hate ALL platform sections in games.  Think they are just plain stupid.  My ONLY gripes with that game were 1)too much platforming, and 2) the final battle was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lame compared to some of the masterpieces early on.  I think all of the boss battle should have been as good as the Hydra.  If I had to make the game over, the Hydra would be the finale.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 08:34:53 PM »

I guess its a good thing they took out that level with the platform/elevator you had to keep up with.  Though, I thought it looked cool.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I guess its a good thing they took out that level with the platform/elevator you had to keep up with.  Though, I thought it looked cool.

Actually, that would have felt like part of the rest of the game. For some reason, Hades just felt like it was unnecessarily hard for the sake of being difficult. It didn't feel, to me, like it was part of the rest of God of War. I may not have liked the final fight, but at least I felt it was consistent with the game.

Funny bit: I showed my wife the Hydra battle the other night and she sat there stunned for a minute then said: "That. Was. Foul." She thought it was beyond gross, especially when I went down the thing's throat. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 09:51:32 PM »

I will admint that anger was geting the best of me when I posted.  It doesn't really make the game crap but it is certainly stupid.

I don't even think it is becuase of how difficult it is (although I think it is tough) It is because of how they changed how the game worked.

Up till that point at almost any point with sections like that there were save points before and after so that players didn't have to do those difficult parts over and over.  

They never had a really tough monster fight followed by some platform puzzle without a save.  

I will probably get by it later tonight but I no matter what I feel that the section is very different in tone and design than the rest of the game.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 09:56:59 PM »

I got a little frustrated and sick of the game before the area you are talking about-I do want to finish it, but for some reason after about 6 hours it got very stale and repetitive to me.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
...she sat there stunned for a minute then said: "That. Was. Foul." She thought it was beyond gross, especially when I went down the thing's throat. biggrin

That's probably sig worthy, but not necessarily in a good way.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 10:35:41 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I also have to say that this kind of crap at the end of the game really makes me wonder if reviewers really finish games.  It is a very good game but those sections are worth some points off.  And even if you can live with that it doesn't even really show up in reviews as something mentioned.

I beat the game and agree that this section was hard...but not impossible to pass.  One of my cons in my review is "Platform parts can be frustrating, especially in the endgame", that was directly pointed toward the spinning towers and the moving platform puzzle to open up the door on the other side where you had to go back and forth a few times.

The towers are easier if you utilize jumping and know the location of the blades.  It does bite that they put so many spinning towers in and didn't put a save game, but the section is not impossible.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 11:45:35 PM »

The spinning blades were the low point of the game.  Not only the ones you had to climb, but also the ones you had to walk and jump on.  Luckily I didn't find it too difficult, but it was annoying.  
The only other complaint I had was with the camera angle during the Ares battle.  Half the time Ares blocked the view of Kratos, so I had a nice view of Ares' back while fighting.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 01:11:47 AM »

I hate games that suddenly alter solid gameplay with ridiculously unbalanced and frustrating areas. I've never played God of War, but I do feel your pain.  On the Xbox there is a great game called Breakdown which is practically ruined by absured changes in game pacing and difficulty in two particular areas.   To add salt to the wound, they didn't give you the ability to save during these difficult areas, while in most other parts of the game there were save points were in abundance.

How can these developers be blind to such shifts in quality, pacing and difficulty?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 02:39:40 AM »

pretty much anytime a developer takes out the ability to save at any point, they should know it was a bad move. A bad bad move. That should be a red flag to them that at that point in the game, it will no longer be fun.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »

Rampanther, I totally agree about Breakdown.  I got mostly through the game and came to one of those points and after a couple dozen tries, I chunked it.  Nuff of that.  

Just plain stupid what they do some times.  At least in some games when you get to a really difficult spot like that the autosave is right before it, but not in Breakdown.  You have to go through a bunch of platforming and whatnot to get to the ridiculous part.  Every time.  Ugghhhh.  And to that point the game was ranking as one of the most interesting on the Box.  Sad.  But oh well, enjoyed it while it lasted.  

As for GoW, I feel that either they handed the game off to someone else to finish who had no clue how the previous part was played, or someone came in and sad you have a week to finish, make it happen.  They freaked and threw together the oh so sad platform montage and the unimpressive end Boss battle.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 02:35:15 PM »

I had the same problems with GoW.  It's not so much the difficulty (although it is tough) it's the save system.  As other have said when they start cutting back on the save points and making you repeat two or three big battles before you can save again it just draws out the game and makes it more and more frustrating.  It's really my biggest peeve in any game at all: JUST DON'T FORCE ME TO PLAY THE SAME PART OVER AND OVER BECAUSE OF ONE MISTAKE!

Whew... I feel better. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »

The platforming elements in Hades (spinning blades, especially) were annoying as all hell, but didn't come close to ruining what was an excellent game.  GoW was the most fun I've ever had with an action title.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 02:05:02 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
As for GoW, I feel that either they handed the game off to someone else to finish who had no clue how the previous part was played, or someone came in and sad you have a week to finish, make it happen.  They freaked and threw together the oh so sad platform montage and the unimpressive end Boss battle.

my vote's for the latter - the thing was, not only was it nasty, play-wise, hades was also, after all that came before, pretty damn ugly, too. i remember the last quarter of primal was the same: obviously rushed, & nowhere near the artistic standards of the rest of the game...

okay, - absolutely no more gow slamming from me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »

I don't know. There were a couple moments with the towers that had me saying some unsavory words, but I got through it. Same with the spikes in the floor. Just when I was about to give up for a little while, I made it, and man, it felt good. I don't always feel a sense of accomplishment anymore in games.

That said, if I am not 100% into a game, something like that could and has made me stop playing, so I see where you are coming from. I just don't have the patience I had when I was younger. Something about GOW kept me going, even through those 'less than stellar' parts.

In some ways, GOW reminded me of a good Genesis/SNES game, that you had to keep trying certain parts until you got them. That's why I thought 10 hours was just about right. Much more and my hands would have fallen off.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 03:55:39 PM »

The spinning blades were slightly tough but I think I got by them in about 10 minutes...  The balance beams with the spinning blades were tougher for me personally.

Biggest pain for me was the room with all the harpies/archers/moving floor.

I confess though, when I got to what appeared to be the final battle, I went into Easy mode after getting my butt kicked three times badly.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
I confess though, when I got to what appeared to be the final battle, I went into Easy mode after getting my butt kicked three times badly.

You are not alone. Glad I wasn't the only one.

I can't imagine god mode. No.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 05:27:30 PM »

Yeah, the only part in the game that actually frustrated me was the second phase of the final boss battle.  I was ready to drop down to easy too but it never gave me the option.  Then I changed my weapon (went from Sword of Artemis to Blades of Chaos) and beat it on my first try.  

I don't know if its just my love of platforming but I had zero problems withi any of Hades and, in fact, greatly enjoyed it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 05:53:38 PM »

The first part the trick is you can block any of Ares' attacks, so it's hit and block and hit again. No sweat there. The trick on the second phase is to have the Army of Hades spell maxed out so you can do serious damage to everything in conjunction with the Anger of the Gods move (which gives you limitless magic while it's active) so you keep throwing Army of Hades. The third and final battle is simply stay alive and beat Ares more than he beats you, but he can do all his cool moves and you can't do squat. THAT pisses me off.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 06:02:13 PM »

Yeah, I had my army of hades maxed and used Rage of the Gods liberally  in the second battle the problem was that I could keep everyone far enough back (being vague to avoid spoilers) with the sword of Artemis.  Once I switched to the Blades with their much longer reach it was much easier.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »

Yeah, the only part in the game that actually frustrated me was the second phase of the final boss battle.  I was ready to drop down to easy too but it never gave me the option.  Then I changed my weapon (went from Sword of Artemis to Blades of Chaos) and beat it on my first try.

It took me many attempts to get past that part, too.  Half the times I died, it was from falling off the edge.  I actually went the opposite way and used the Sword after getting my ass handed to me using the Blades of Chaos.  I found it to be more effective with crowds of enemies.  When things got too crowded, I'd use Poseidon's Rage to clear things out.   Eventually, they were only respawning one or two at a time and it became easy to take them down at that point.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: