http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:10:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War Rockets to Number 4 All Time: God Mode Replay- I Quit.  (Read 8274 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »

I'm not done with it yet- I just completed Hades- but I am in absolute awe of the design, magnitude and the creative force that went into it.

I've heard many people complain about Hades, but it wasn't particularly bad.  The part that I think gets everyone awry is not that difficult once you figure out how to do it

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jump over the blades  nod

At first I thought this game was just a cheap PoP knock off- and true it does have similiar elements and combat, but this game is just SO MUCH MORE EPIC and again I see why it took everyone by storm.

If you haven't played it, or quit due to frustration (Austin), or don't own a PS2 and were on the fence about getting one....run don't walk to pick it up.

It is unbelievable.

GoW III maybe what gets me to buy a PS3*.  If this game this gen's graphic engine, my eyes would pop out and my brain melt.

I cannot wait to play Part II. When's it come out? LESS THAN A MONTH!!!!!!!!! OMGWTFLOL!

*ATB is delsuional with gaming joy. This remark not to be taken seriously at the present time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:24:02 AM by ATB » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 08:02:38 PM »

Heh, I feel pretty much the same way (well, not sure if it's in my Top 10 of all time, but certainly Top 10 of last gen), even down to not minding Hades too much.

It took a little while to grow on me but once it did I was pretty much glued to the game. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »

God of War is my favorite PS2 game.  A next gen version is probably one of the few things that would get me to buy a PS3. I can see why Sony would make God of War 2 for the PS2 given the install base.  But I think PS3 sales would have been helped greatly if GoW2 were coming to PS3 next week.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 13, 2007, 08:08:58 PM

God of War is my favorite PS2 game.  A next gen version is probably one of the few things that would get me to buy a PS3. I can see why Sony would make God of War 2 for the PS2 given the install base.  But I think PS3 sales would have been helped greatly if GoW2 were coming to PS3 next week.

God of War 1 took three years to make.  GoW 3 built for the ground up for PS3 wouldn't be coming out next week, or at least not to the standards that we would expect, especially considering it took them 2 years to make GoW 2 using an existing engine and design. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:20:29 PM »

I'm very much looking forward to replaying the original in preparation for II.  What a great time to be a gamer, isn't this usually the deadest time of the year for game releases?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 13, 2007, 08:20:29 PM

I'm very much looking forward to replaying the original in preparation for II.  What a great time to be a gamer, isn't this usually the deadest time of the year for game releases?

Not for a few years actually.  It's been pretty common to get the overflow from everything that missed it's holiday release date. 

Notable releases from the first three or four months of the year:

God of War 1
Resident Evil 4
Oblivion
GRAW
Gran Turismo 4
Kingdom Hearts 2
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Zelda: Wind Waker
Jade Empire
Ninja Gaiden

and some more that I can't think of.

I'd say Summer is probably the deadest time of the year
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »

I've actually never played it... so I'm going out to get it today and play it before GoW 2 comes out.

gellar
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »

Hear hear! Best PS2 game ever made.

Replaying it in 480p on my new TV in anticipation of the sequel is tempting... Did somebody say on Nightmare mode?

ninja
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »

I think God of War is a little overrated. It's a stellar game, but the game features so little variety that it really wore out its welcome by the time I finished it (and it's not a long game). There were too few enemy types per level, the levels lacked variety in challenges and I didn't think the platforming sections were particularly well done.

I'm hoping that GoW 2 addresses some of these complaints. Adding more bosses will probably go a long way to breaking up some of the first game's monotony.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:53:34 PM »

$15 @ Target ftw.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »

See, I loved the variety of gameplay in God of War:

-You had the opening area (Aegean Sea and Athens) which was pretty heavy combat focused.
- The middle section (Pandora's Temple) was much more oriented toward platforming and puzzles
- Hades was primarily platforming
- Then the finale

To me that's plenty of variety for a relatively short game.  I felt like I was in each area just long enough to get really good at fighting the new batch of enemies and then it was time to move on to something different so it never overstayed it's welcome to me.  In fact it was one of those rare games where I restarted it it immediately upon finishing (joining games like Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Chronicles of Riddick).

Then again, I liked the platforming in it too so that kept the later sections from annoying me. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on February 13, 2007, 08:31:29 PM

Replaying it in 480p on my new TV in anticipation of the sequel is tempting... Did somebody say on Nightmare mode?

ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 13, 2007, 08:55:43 PM

See, I loved the variety of gameplay in God of War:

-You had the opening area (Aegean Sea and Athens) which was pretty heavy combat focused.
- The middle section (Pandora's Temple) was much more oriented toward platforming and puzzles
- Hades was primarily platforming
- Then the finale

To me that's plenty of variety for a relatively short game.  I felt like I was in each area just long enough to get really good at fighting the new batch of enemies and then it was time to move on to something different so it never overstayed it's welcome to me.  In fact it was one of those rare games where I restarted it it immediately upon finishing (joining games like Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Chronicles of Riddick).

Then again, I liked the platforming in it too so that kept the later sections from annoying me. 

Agreed. I think there's plenty of variety, though I get the comment about the variety of enemies.  It hasn't been a problem- nor have I even thought about it until it was mentioned above.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 09:20:55 PM »

ninja

Golden cock monkey FTW!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 13, 2007, 07:59:27 PM

GoW III maybe what gets me to buy a PS3*.  If this game this gen's graphic engine, my eyes would pop out and my brain melt.

Well according to yesterday's review at gamespy, the graphics in GOW II are already approaching PS3 quality

Pros: Graphics that rival the PS3; incomparably immersive cinematic flow; riveting plot.

BTW they gave it 5 stars out of 5

The link: http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/god-of-war-2-divine-retribution/763910p1.html
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 13, 2007, 09:17:19 PM

ninja

Looks like peterock is giving Warning a run for his money.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:57 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 13, 2007, 09:20:55 PM

ninja

Golden cock monkey FTW!

There is a story here that I am missing...

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 11:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on February 13, 2007, 08:48:20 PM

I think God of War is a little overrated. It's a stellar game, but the game features so little variety that it really wore out its welcome by the time I finished it (and it's not a long game). There were too few enemy types per level, the levels lacked variety in challenges and I didn't think the platforming sections were particularly well done.

I'm hoping that GoW 2 addresses some of these complaints. Adding more bosses will probably go a long way to breaking up some of the first game's monotony.

the ice queen of action video games: totally beautiful graphically/gameplay-wise (well, except for hades), utterly heartless/soulless (dmc3 was just much more fun)...

i'd like to think gow2 will be better, but i'm not really banking on it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »

Pros: Graphics that rival the PS3; incomparably immersive cinematic flow; riveting plot.

The fuck? Okay, look, yeah, the PS2 could do some impressive things for its time, but 'graphics that rival the PS3'? I want some of what they're smoking.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 13, 2007, 11:35:57 PM

ninja

Golden cock monkey FTW!

gellar

There is.

Warning: The abOve site might nOt be to your liking.  icon_wink

But it is worth it. Oh yes, it is.

edited for a better place to start reading the thread.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:57:55 PM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

I agree with you ATB.  God o War is in my top 3 of favorite games of ALL TIME.  Period.  And the sequel is my most anticipated game of the year.  And to think it is on the lowly PS2. 

Just goes to show, to some of us, that we could get alot more play out of the present systems if developers could just make games this awesome.  I could care less about the 360, PS3, Wii, or any other new system if I could get more games like God of War.

Mar 15th hurry up and get here already.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 12:05:28 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on February 13, 2007, 11:54:28 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 13, 2007, 11:35:57 PM

ninja

Golden cock monkey FTW!

gellar

There is.

Warning: The abOve site might nOt be to your liking.  icon_wink

But it is worth it. Oh yes, it is.

edited for a better place to start reading the thread.

Note to self: Easy mode is the way to go.

gellar
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 12:14:32 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 13, 2007, 11:41:47 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on February 13, 2007, 08:48:20 PM

the ice queen of action video games: totally beautiful graphically/gameplay-wise (well, except for hades), utterly heartless/soulless (dmc3 was just much more fun)...

i'd like to think gow2 will be better, but i'm not really banking on it...

Put me in the same boat as Mallon and Semi here. Other than the DMC 3 line. God of War was a good game, but definitely wore its welcome out too fast.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 13, 2007, 11:52:12 PM

The fuck? Okay, look, yeah, the PS2 could do some impressive things for its time, but 'graphics that rival the PS3'? I want some of what they're smoking.

Yup, I agree it's an over exaggeration. But what I think the reviewer's trying to say is that the game really pushes the envelope for PS2 graphics and visuals. Similar to the way that Resident Evil 4 did for the Cube.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 01:13:45 AM »

You know.  I just read through rrmorton's Golden Cock Monkey thread again (for the billionth time) and I just laughed so hard I was actually crying.  SERIOUSLY.  That is THE FUNNIEST, absolutely face hurting, tear streaming hysterical thread ever!   thumbsup

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »

I tried getting into this game a few weeks back and didn't think it was all that great.  Some parts of it were pretty damn cool, but others (camera, boss health system) did not sit well with me.  The fact that I haven't gone back to it yet certainly says something. 

I'm will probably pick up the sequel, but not until it is used for a lower price. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 06:52:50 AM »

Until ATB posts his Top 10 Games of All Time list for review, I refuse to give his opinion any credibility.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 06:59:30 AM »

I fully intend on replaying this as well-probably early next month (well I never finished it, so I guess I mean finish it)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 14, 2007, 06:52:50 AM

Until ATB posts his Top 10 Games of All Time list for review, I refuse to give his opinion any credibility.

Here it is:

1. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
2. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
3. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
4. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
5. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
6. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
7. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
8. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like
9. God of War
10. Game Dante Rising Doesn't Like

Final placement of GoW still TBD.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 06:59:30 AM

I fully intend on replaying this as well-probably early next month (well I never finished it, so I guess I mean finish it)

I never finished it either, but I was planning on replaying from the beginning instead of picking up where I left off. Gives it that extra kick of epic feeling or something.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 03:19:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 14, 2007, 01:12:01 PM

Here it is:

9. God of War

what about GoW?  where does that place? icon_wink

You know, I started God of War and never got around to finishing it.  I figure I'll wait until II is a PS2 Greatest Hit and available for sub-20 before picking it up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 14, 2007, 03:19:22 PM

Quote from: ATB on February 14, 2007, 01:12:01 PM

Here it is:

9. God of War

what about GoW?  where does that place? icon_wink

You know, I started God of War and never got around to finishing it.  I figure I'll wait until II is a PS2 Greatest Hit and available for sub-20 before picking it up.

Actually, Gears doesn't make the list. I gave the SP portion a B, but overall an A because of MP.  The SP campaign was very good but it didn't blow me away.

Other games in my top ten (gotta find my list) include:

Mafia
Max Payne 1
Disciples 2
Homeworld (I think)

gotta find that list!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

Reading this I had a vision of a God of War in some Shadow of the Colossus-type climbing boss battle with ATB's gigantic list.

Edit: Mafia... mmmm.  That's a great game with a great ending.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »

I played about 90 minutes last night.  Holy crap is this great, mindless fun.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:58 PM »

Incidentally, GoW is 14.99 at CC next week. NOW'S YOUR CHANCE!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 14, 2007, 07:37:58 PM

Incidentally, GoW is 14.99 at CC next week. NOW'S YOUR CHANCE!

It was $15 at Target this week too.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »

The cool thing to keep in mind is that Kratos starts out as a badass beyond compare... then gets stronger and more dangerous as the game goes on. icon_lol

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 08:52:49 PM »

I'm about 3/4 of the way through (just beat the
Spoiler for Hiden:
armored minotaur boss
) and have about 10,000 orbs stored up.  I can either upgrade the Blades of Chaos or the Blade of Artemis for that amount, and I'm trying to decide which.  I think I've gotten pretty much all of the red orbs available to this point.  Do you eventually get enough red orbs to max out all your abilities, or do you have to pick and choose?  I don't want to make a bad choice and hinder my chances of completing the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »

From what I recall you have enough to upgrade the blades on Kratos' arms (I think those are the Blades of Chaos), one spell and one other weapon. The spell is the Army of Hades (or it might be called something similar) and for the other weapon I'd go with the Blade or Artemis. But crank up the Blades of Chaos and the Army of Hades to the max as soon as you can.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »

Wait a minute.  (Eddie I'm a bit ahead of you so don't read the spoiler)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got to Hades after Kratos dies (and had to power off). Is this the hades part everyone hated? I thought they were referring to the Hades part of the temple. eek I hope this doesn't cause me too much pain.

Unrelated to the spoiler: I upgraded artemis' blade the whole way. It's SO powerful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: