http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God of War PSP bundle with red PSP  (Read 2166 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:25:33 AM »

Like the Star Wars bundle and Dax bundle. $199.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/02/26/destination-playstation-god-of-war-bundle-includes-red-psp/

In June, a new PSP Entertainment Pack will be hitting stores, featuring the famous face of the Ghost of Sparta — Kratos. Here’s what you get in the bundle, which will be available for $199.99 (MSRP):

* Limited-Edition “Deep Red” PSP with Kratos silkscreened on the back
    * God of War: Chains of Olympus
    * Superbad on UMD video
    * Voucher to download Syphon Filter: Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION Store for free

How cool is that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:29:18 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36:01 AM »

Freakin' damn good deal.  Tempted, since I'm sitting here with a PSP phat...but my Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops armor couldn't fit around it slywink

Still though, that's a great deal.  I mean, arguably the best game on the PSP, a hilarious movie and a great online MP game included with a limited-edition PSP for $199?  Honestly, one of the best bundles ever announced.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »

All that stuff yet I just like the color smile

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 27, 2008, 05:36:01 AM

Freakin' damn good deal.  Tempted, since I'm sitting here with a PSP phat...but my Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops armor couldn't fit around it slywink

Still though, that's a great deal.  I mean, arguably the best game on the PSP, a hilarious movie and a great online MP game included with a limited-edition PSP for $199?  Honestly, one of the best bundles ever announced.

Sony really should hire you  icon_razz

Although I agree, it tempts me to sell my old PSP for this. I wouldn't mind if they took out the useless Superbad UMD and shaved $20 off the price though.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:58:51 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2008, 06:41:45 AM

Although I agree, it tempts me to sell my old PSP for this. I wouldn't mind if they took out the useless Superbad UMD and shaved $20 off the price though.

USELESS SUPERBAD UMD!?  Superbad should be viewed in every format, in every capacity, everywhere.

And about Sony hiring me, dude, I just call it how I see it.  Sony Fanboy, Sony Hater, Nintendo Fanboy, Xbot, doesn't really matter - I think most can see how great of a bundle this is.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:59 AM »

I'd rather have a memory stick than Superbad.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »

As said in the other thread, this will probably be what gets me to get the PSP.

When will places start to have it for pre-order?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »

This is a good deal. I am the arbiter of such things. Thus it has been spoke.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2008, 07:44:59 AM

Same.

Something to keep in mind though - this console comes out in June. The game is due out in March. Why the long delay, Sony?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »

I like the color, but I'd find it a lot more appealing without the Kratos stencil on the back.

-Autistic Angel
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 27, 2008, 02:19:39 PM

I like the color, but I'd find it a lot more appealing without the Kratos stencil on the back.

-Autistic Angel

Kratos would rip your heart out if he heard you say that.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 27, 2008, 01:49:15 PM

Same.

that's why i picked up the Daxter bundle a couple weeks ago...Silver PSP, Daxter game, Family Guy Freakin' Sweet Collection UMD, and a 1GB MS Pro Duo for $200.  throwing the memory stick in there makes it a great deal, and considerably better than either the SW or GoW bundle in my opinion.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 27, 2008, 03:40:57 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 27, 2008, 01:49:15 PM

Same.

that's why i picked up the Daxter bundle a couple weeks ago...Silver PSP, Daxter game, Family Guy Freakin' Sweet Collection UMD, and a 1GB MS Pro Duo for $200.  throwing the memory stick in there makes it a great deal, and considerably better than either the SW or GoW bundle in my opinion.

Hmm. How much memory comes with the PSP? How much is a 1 GB mem stick. In the world of DS, why do I need a mem stick. For game saves?

I don't really care for the movie that comes with it, but the color is everything...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 03:48:40 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 27, 2008, 03:46:32 PM

Hmm. How much memory comes with the PSP? How much is a 1 GB mem stick. In the world of DS, why do I need a mem stick. For game saves?

Yes, for game saves.  PSP games are on UMD discs so you can't exactly write a save to them like you can a DS cartridge. 

Memory is cheap.  I got a 4 Gig card for $30 not long ago. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2008, 03:48:40 PM

Quote from: ATB on February 27, 2008, 03:46:32 PM

Yes, for game saves.  PSP games are on UMD discs so you can't exactly write a save to them like you can a DS cartridge. 

Memory is cheap.  I got a 4 Gig card for $30 not long ago. 

I use my PSP as an MP3 player as well.  It's also handy for your legally purchased movie and TV show rips. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

not to mention you "can" copy all of your umd discs to the stick so you can ditch carrying them around all the time. 

other than a battery slowly losing it's long charge time, i still like the phat psp i've had since '05

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 27, 2008, 06:54:58 PM

not to mention you "can" copy all of your umd discs to the stick so you can ditch carrying them around all the time. 

other than a battery slowly losing it's long charge time, i still like the phat psp i've had since '05

Same on both counts. So much easier not having to figure out where I put my portable gaming collection with what I have currently running on both my DS and PSP. Just pop in a memory stick and I'm off.

And my PSP Phat still works great.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 08:12:27 PM »

Legally?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 27, 2008, 08:12:27 PM

Legally?

Sounds like Fair Use to me.  Even if it isn't, who cares as long as you obtained the game legally? 

If you mean "officially" as in something that Sony supports then the answer is no.  It's only something that's available through the virtues of cracked firmware. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Ok.

Say for example I get a PSP in june with GOW.  And I want to put GOW onto the mem stick. How small must the game be to fit on such a small space or are we talking about giganto mem sticks?

Also, as I've never had cracked anything in my life, would I be way in over my head goofing around with such things now?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:47 PM »

Legally?

There's a small number of titles you can grab off the Playstation Store for the PC - but really, they're talking about making copies (or downloading copies) of PSP games and putting them on a memory stick.  This requires the use of custom firmware and is illegal.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 27, 2008, 08:23:00 PM

Ok.

Say for example I get a PSP in june with GOW.  And I want to put GOW onto the mem stick. How small must the game be to fit on such a small space or are we talking about giganto mem sticks?

Also, as I've never had cracked anything in my life, would I be way in over my head goofing around with such things now?

You'll need cracked firmware.  Google "Dark Alex" and you'll find some information on it.  Unless Sony fixes it before June, you should be able to crack the new GoW PSP with a trick called Pandora's Battery.

I think you can get Memory Sticks up to 8 Gigs or so now.  UMDs only clock in about a gig so any decent size mem stick will provide plenty of room.

In addition to being able to play off the mem stick (improving loading times), running hacked firmware also allows you to play older games at the PSPs full 333 Mhz clockspeed, which can improve framerates (FWIW, GoW is one of the first PSP to officially support the 333 Mhz clockspeed).  And you can also play many Playstation 1 games emulated on the PSP. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 27, 2008, 08:23:47 PM

Legally?
There's a small number of titles you can grab off the Playstation Store for the PC - but really, they're talking about making copies (or downloading copies) of PSP games and putting them on a memory stick.  This requires the use of custom firmware and is illegal.

The legality of doing it is completely up in the air. The way I see it is if you own the game, and the UMD itself is not being played at the same time you're playing the one on your memory stick, it's legal. It's basically like you making a copy of your purchased music to put onto your mp3 player - as long as only one version (the CD or mp3) is being played at any one time, and you still own the CD, it's within the confines of the law.

UMD discs also hold roughly 1.8GB if I remember right, so you'll want a large (2GB or bigger) memory stick to hold multiple games. Very few titles come anywhere near close to fully filling the disc though.

I thought that the Ratchet & Clank title was the first game to run under 333mhz. I could be wrong though (and more than likely am).

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »

depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 27, 2008, 09:08:12 PM

It's basically like you making a copy of your purchased music to put onto your mp3 player - as long as only one version (the CD or mp3) is being played at any one time, and you still own the CD, it's within the confines of the law.

Well yeah.  But you don't have to crack your "mp3 player" in order to put your music on there.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 27, 2008, 09:50:39 PM

It's basically like you making a copy of your purchased music to put onto your mp3 player - as long as only one version (the CD or mp3) is being played at any one time, and you still own the CD, it's within the confines of the law.

Well yeah.  But you don't have to crack your "mp3 player" in order to put your music on there.

I've long thought that Sony should legitimize this stuff now that the cat's out of the bag.  Provide official software for converting PS1 games to PSP and allow games to be loaded to the mem card even if they still need to require a UMD check at bootup. 

A hacked PSP is just too compelling for "legitimate users" (ie those of us who still buy all of our PSP or PS1 games but run hacked firmware).  But once you send someone to the "dark side" to do this stuff, it's that much more likely they'll just opt for grabbing torrents of the stuff instead of ripping their own.

Officially supporting this stuf would also help keep people updating official firmware.  Right now I think there is a level of suppression where people are unwilling to buy new software until it's confirmed not to require an unhacked firmware level.  With PSP software sales in the toilet anything that motivates people not to buy software is a poor thing. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »

I'm guessing I won't be going in the direction of cracked stuff.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 27, 2008, 08:23:47 PM

Legally?

The legality of doing it is completely up in the air. The way I see it is if you own the game, and the UMD itself is not being played at the same time you're playing the one on your memory stick, it's legal. It's basically like you making a copy of your purchased music to put onto your mp3 player - as long as only one version (the CD or mp3) is being played at any one time, and you still own the CD, it's within the confines of the law.

UMD discs also hold roughly 1.8GB if I remember right, so you'll want a large (2GB or bigger) memory stick to hold multiple games. Very few titles come anywhere near close to fully filling the disc though.

I thought that the Ratchet & Clank title was the first game to run under 333mhz. I could be wrong though (and more than likely am).
In addition to that the ripped games can be compressed and CFW will still play them . . . usually with no performance issues.  An .iso is a full rip and a .cso is a compressed one.  For instance om my mem stick right now I have MGS:PO uncompressed and it weighs in at 1.3 gig.  I also have Lego Star Wars 2 which is compressed to around 500 meg.  Many games compress to around 200 meg.  With a 4 gig or larger mem stick you can have a large # of games at your disposal with no UMDs to carry around.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2008, 09:57:43 PM

Officially supporting this stuf would also help keep people updating official firmware.  Right now I think there is a level of suppression where people are unwilling to buy new software until it's confirmed not to require an unhacked firmware level.  With PSP software sales in the toilet anything that motivates people not to buy software is a poor thing. 
I went CFW because the official firmware bricked my PSP and Sony said "tough".  With CFW you have better options for a brick-proof PSP with the CFW recovery menu and the Pandora if all else fails.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:05:09 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 27, 2008, 06:58:51 AM

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2008, 06:41:45 AM

USELESS SUPERBAD UMD!?  Superbad should be viewed in every format, in every capacity, everywhere.

And about Sony hiring me, dude, I just call it how I see it.  Sony Fanboy, Sony Hater, Nintendo Fanboy, Xbot, doesn't really matter - I think most can see how great of a bundle this is.

Heh, sorry I don't mean to give you a hard time it's just the way you say it  smile So much enthusiasm!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 01:14:04 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2008, 09:57:43 PM

I've long thought that Sony should legitimize this stuff now that the cat's out of the bag.  Provide official software for converting PS1 games to PSP and allow games to be loaded to the mem card even if they still need to require a UMD check at bootup. 

I completely agree. The PSP can play a very large chunk of the PS1's library without issues (yes, the emulator included in the official PSP's BIOS is that good), and loading times are far better when it's on the memory stick verses the UMD. AND it uses less battery power in the process (as it doesn't have to spin the UMD drive anymore).

And yes, as already stated, you can compress your PSP's games before you transfer them to the memory stick, thus allowing you to carry a decent chunk of your collection with you on the go. Not quite as many as the DS, but more than enough depending on the size of your card.

Finally - the PSP is plenty homebrew capable (and I don't mean emulators). There's quite a few fun little games/programs you can find and use if you have a hacked PSP.

Random thought - you know, we just need to make a topic stating just how good the PSP is hackzored, as topics like these always tend to turn into people telling everybody else just how good it is to have a non-standard BIOS is your PSP. biggrin

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »

2 main reasons I want a PSP is mp3 playback and DOOM on it. God DOOM in my hands. It used to slow my desktop down just 14 years ago.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 05:13:55 AM »

There's quite a few fun little games/programs you can find and use if you have a hacked PSP.

For example? Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but I have yet to find any useful/fun homebrew programs.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »

one i have found useful in theory if not in practice is pspvnc, aka virtual network console, aka control your pc from your psp, across any network connection.  i haven't had much time with it when i used the earlier version, but we use vnc at work and having a portable method would make my job easier.  if someone would homebrew a citrix client, i would be golden. 

my next mini project is the sega cd emu for some old school sonic cd action.  until then, having an almost full 4gb stick with every game i own suits me just fine.  ftrecord, most of my simpler games are under 200mb compressed.  gta vcs is one of the bigger ones at 1.6gb, although i haven't compressed it yet as i would have to clear out a bunch of stuff i'm playing in small chunks.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 27, 2008, 02:19:39 PM

Think about it this way:  while you are playing a game, Kratos is staring at your penis.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on February 28, 2008, 05:13:55 AM

There's quite a few fun little games/programs you can find and use if you have a hacked PSP.

For example? Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but I have yet to find any useful/fun homebrew programs.

I never take PSPCOMIC off my PSP . . . it lets you put RAR'd copies of jpgs (which can be comic pages or whatever) on the mem stick and it handles the uncompressing and displaying of the content . . . it also has bookmark support. 

There is also Bookr which handles PDF viewing for E-books if I remember right.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: