http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:12:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God is found - and he plays Ikaruga  (Read 1002 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:00:14 AM »

Ikaruga - this is a shooter by what some would say the best shooter company ever: Treasure. Makers of such classics as Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) and Radiant Silvergun (Saturn - import only), shooter fanatics everywhere went nuts every time this company released a game.

They also released Ikaruga in the Arcade, then ported it to the Dreamcast (import only, I think), and the Gamecube (US and Japan).

For those who've heard of the game, and want to see God in action, here's a link via Filerush (BitTorrent only at this point):

http://www.filerush.com/download.php?target=Ikaruga.rar

You might need Divx and/or a slightly modified Audio codec (Audio Tag 8192 is the exact error) to play it.

For those who haven't played the game, here's it in a nutshell:

Ikaruga is a game about 2 colors - black and white. All enemies are one of the two colors, and your ship can change between the two colors as well. When it comes to dealing the most damage, you want the alternating color (black kills white, white kills black). However, you can still damage your target if you're the same color as it - it just takes longer.

But, here's the interesting aspect - your ship has a 'bullet shield' of the same color that it is. So if you're currently white, all white bullets will be absorbed by the shield and charge up your super attack gauge (lower left of the screen). Same with black. You can switch colors at any time, but your shield won't fire back up again for about a second or so. Which means that you have to plan ahead when you want to change colors, and you can't do it while under fire.

And...whenever you kill an enemy that's the same color as you on Normal difficulty, that enemy releases bullets for your ship to eat via your shield. Always a useful thing. But on Hard, all enemies release bullets of their color, no matter what color your ship is at the moment.

In addition, the game is entirely about killing your enemy in the most effecient way. The magic number in this game is 3. When you kill 3 of the same colored enemies in a row (3 white or 3 black), you gain a combo point and gain bonus points to your score. This bonus tops out at 10 combos without screwing up the pattern. However, this bonus combo continues far beyond that (just with a capping of how many bonus points you get), and is a major factor in your rating at the end of the level. All stages involve this player getting 100+ pattern kills in a row.

So...what is this movie exactly? It's God, playing on Hard, without dying, playing through the entire game in one sitting, and without screwing up the patterns (so he gets the best ranking after every stage - S++). About 25 minutes or so.

One thing to note - since this is being played on the Dreamcast, there is no emulator available for the console so the person in question can simply slow down the game and play it from there. I've seen other videos out there for other titles that do exactly that.

There is no save/restore here. There is no slow-mo feature (short of when  there's too many explosions on the screen and the Dreamcast just slows down on its own). There's no restart without redoing the entire game (watch his overall score in the upper left to show that he's not just splicing the video together).

If you're a shooter fan at all, odds are you've heard of this game. Now watch it played to near perfection.

Enjoy. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 06:48:08 AM »

Sure, Black and White, but can he do

Black and Orange?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:50:07 AM »

Yeah thats pretty phenomenally impressive, and I hate this type of game!
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 01:48:23 PM »

Yeah, I bought this game for the cube when it was on clearance at Walmart, and holy hell it's hard.

It's all about memorizing the patterns, I've had it for about a year, and I'm pretty good with the first level.  But after that.....let's just say I'm glad it gives you unlimited credits after playing for a certain number of hours.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:08:47 AM »

"They should have sent a poet..."

Holy cow, that was.. inspiring. Blew my mind, that is for sure. Damn.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 07:57:09 AM »

My head a splode

That fricken rocked!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:29:07 PM »

Now be even more impressed. From Ikaruga.co.uk, I bring you this set of videos. What's so cool about them? It's Ikaruga, played in 2 player mode (on normal difficulty) - by ONE player.

And if you don't believe me, the Chapter 5 video shows his hands at the same time as the video is playing.

Nuts, no? biggrin

And take a look at the other videos on the site. Very impressive set of shooter skills on display.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: