http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God Bless Gamefly!!!  (Read 1011 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2006, 04:30:54 AM »

They just saved me 60 bucks.  I signed up for the 10 day free trial (not that I have any intention of continuing past the first 10 days) and grabbed a couple of games that I was thinking about getting:  Call of Duty 2 and Dead or Alive 4.  Now, I haven't tried CoD2 yet, but anything can be better than that frustrating piece of eye candy that is Dead or Alive 4.  I swear, what are those monkeys at Team Ninja on?  Speed? Crack?  Their games have become insanely hard lately!  I don't remember DoA3 or even DoA Ultimate being this hard or frustrating.   :evil:

Thankfully I didn't have to waste any of my money on this one.  Now I can devote more time to CoD2.  Maybe I can finish it before my trial is up.  From what I've heard they're service has gone downhill anyways, so I won't feel bad cancelling it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:02:07 AM »

Yeah, I rented DoA4 and was wondering WTF?  There's no easy mode, and in normal mode the computer is just insane.  If this is the future of fighting games I'll go back to street fighter.

That said, I downloaded the Fight Night 3 demo and that's the way I hope fighting games go.  More tactical and combos are simple affairs that involve player thought instead of rote memorization.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »

I really don't care for Gamefly, but I agree that renting can save you a truckload of money.  I am not exagerrating when I say that I know renting has saved me in the thousands.

And as far as fighting games go, I totally agree with both of your assessments.  And can't wait for Fight Night R3.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »

I read a review of DOA4... Eurogamer, I think.  They seemed to think that the "AI" was perfect in all modes, ie. perfectly timed punches and blocks, and then every once in awhile it will delibrately screw up, and then you strike.  

They didn't like it all and said it didn't feel much like playing a real person.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:57:47 PM »

I actually bought DOA4 the day it came out and I love it.  The story mode movies are vastly improved over DOAU, there are a lot of single player modes and the multiplayer is very fun.  I found the single player mode to be about the same difficulty as DOAU and even easier in some places.  And I'm still in the button mashing phase because I haven't taken the time to go through sparring mode with any of the characters yet.  Guess different things appeal to different people.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »

If I could remember to mail these games I don't want back, and get some new stuff to try, then I would be loving gamefly too biggrin
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »

Gamefly, in theory, is a gold mine. What's holding them back? They have already initiated advertising campaigns in magazines and on cable TV. Why not expand by opening a central and east coast distribution center ala Netflix?

My biggest reservation about their service is I've noticed that the newer releases like CoD2 and DoA4 are typicall listed as "short wait". That's BS, considering both games have been out for over a month. Of course, their business model depends on many people renting fully amortized games. But I, for one, won't sign up unless I am guaranteed timely access to the newest games. Perhaps that can't offer that without increasing the cost...
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:02:42 PM »

For my fighting fix I'm waiting for Street Fighter on Live Arcade.

I keep playing with the idea of renting with gamefly but I just hate renting. I know it would save me money but I'd hate to be pressured into playing a game as soon as it shows up at my door.

philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

I keep playing with the idea of renting with gamefly but I just hate renting. I know it would save me money but I'd hate to be pressured into playing a game as soon as it shows up at my door.

And I hate the pressure of playing a game just because I bought it during some mega-sale, and now it's sitting on my shelf gathering dust. smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

I never feel pressured because I only rent in order to tell if I want to buy a game.  It is like a demo service for me.  I never, repeat never, rent to play THROUGH a game.  I usually play it for maybe an hour or two and usually send them back the next day or two at the latest.  When renting from a brick and mortar I have been known to rent over 20 games a month.  In that way, I have literally tried over 300 games for Xbox alone I think.  Some were fun enough for me to actually look for cheap and pick up, but by far most were just lame been-there-done-that gameplay and I never look back.  

I cannot count how many of those I would have bought outright, hated, and then turned around and traded or tried to sell if I had not been able to rent.  Probably nearly all.  I am just the type of person that wants to at least try everything.  

I am currently a Gamefly member, but I am probably gonna quit because as often as not their shipment to me gets lost in the mail.  I have been a member a little of 2 months and already 3 have been lost.  That is too unreliable for my tastes.  I will go back to joining a brick and mortar store where I am in total control of how and when it gets there and back.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 11:23:16 PM »

I wish Netflix would incorporate games.  Otherwise I can't justify the monthly expense for Gamefly.  I'm very much a "spur of the moment gamer" where my decison on a game is made at 11:00pm while looking at my collection.  In the time that a game I'm interested in would take to get to me I would probably have moved onto something else.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 03:48:52 AM »

Dead or Alive 4. I swear, what are those monkeys at Team Ninja on? Speed? Crack? Their games have become insanely hard lately! I don't remember DoA3 or even DoA Ultimate being this hard or frustrating.  

Are you kidding me. I who really is not into fighting games, but buy the MK series just to get humiliated by the PC and everyone else.
Have come to find DOA4 very easy, especially to jump into and get going.
I beat it with every character in two days. I must however agree the blocking and countering is all luck of the draw for the player.
I would suggest giving it another go around. smile

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Voice of Reason
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"

I am currently a Gamefly member, but I am probably gonna quit because as often as not their shipment to me gets lost in the mail.  I have been a member a little of 2 months and already 3 have been lost.  That is too unreliable for my tastes.  I will go back to joining a brick and mortar store where I am in total control of how and when it gets there and back.

Interesting, I thought I was just unlucky but it sounds like it might be more widespread.  I rented King Kong for the 360 from them and after waiting 8 days past their shipped date had to report it missing.  Since it's on their "short wait" list and all the rest of the games in my queue are future releases I only have one game out with them, and I've only just yesterday received it.  Now that I think about it, since Jan 16, basically 3 weeks ago, I've only had their games in my hands 2 total days, only only one game at that.  At that cost/day I may as well buy the games!

Live tag: VoR Cobra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: