http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:37:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go Microsoft go...  (Read 2398 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »

So, you might've remembered my little 'incident' a while back, detailing how my 360 not only overheated, but actually ate Project Gotham Racing 3 by putting a nice dime sized hole directly into the DVD.

Well, I finally got the console back from them. Not only did they not replace the game (I included it in the box for them to look at), but they reformatted my HD and didn't copy any of the saves back onto it like they said they would.

Here's to hoping the damn thing actually works (busy setting up Live again through my router so I can get online).

I'll be back.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »

They probably just gave you a new one.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:30:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
They probably just gave you a new one.

Or a 'restored to factory state' one, as there was a few bits of something here and there on my console that I wiped off. I didn't write down the serial codes before though, so who knows if it truly was my old one or not.

Well, it passed the first test - it didn't eat another disc. Now to play it enough so I can see if it'll overheat again.

One neat trick - once you put in your Live info, Microsoft has stored everything you've 'bought', so all you have to do is redownload it all and you're up and playing with your Live Arcade games again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

One neat trick - once you put in your Live info, Microsoft has stored everything you've 'bought', so all you have to do is redownload it all and you're up and playing with your Live Arcade games again.

That is neat, and Nintendo SOOO better have that same feature with the Rev.'s downloading of older stuff.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 10:41:18 PM »

And over the course of an hour or so with Kameo...

2 'your disc may be dirty or damaged' errors (and considering that my discs are in pristine shape, I don't think so).
1 hard lock (just like before).

Time to drag ye old console out of my open-air entertainment center (again) to see if that'll solve anything. If not, on the phone with Microsoft I go (again). And I'll be able to bitch at them too for not replacing my busted game and for wiping my HD like they said they wouldn't.

Blasted buggy console launch.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 10:57:02 PM »

/waves mystical Jedi hand

These are not the buggy consoles you are looking for...
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 11:37:05 PM »

And over the course of an hour or so with Kameo...

I've noticed that some games run *much* hotter than others, and Kameo seems to run the hottest of them all for me.  I have my Xbox in a closed air entertainment center and usually crack the door open a hair when playing games - with Kameo, I have to open the whole thing up.

I accidentally left a DVD case sitting on top of my 360 last week and warped the plastic sleeve that holds the paper insert....

At any rate, I'm not suprised you would run into heat issues with Kameo.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:04 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems man, I wonder if they actually fixed your console or just formatted it. That really sucks. For the record, I have had ZERO heating issues with my 360, and other than a few initial crashes with NFSMW and Madden, have had very little trouble since.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 02:28:49 AM »

I still  have had zero problems with mine - sorry, Destructor, I feel really bad for you - I would be going nutzoid if it was my 360 doing that!

It could just be luck of the draw, but I happen to have mine on a "rack" kind of - its a wrought iron stand with a lacquered box on top, and a shelf below that is made of widely spaced 1/2" bars.  There is a 6 or 7" open air gap above it, about 5" of space below the bars it rests on, and the sides are fully exposed.  The brick is sort of suspended as well, since it's hanging  from behind the tv/ entertainment center, and I even angled it so the only place that touches the wood is the corner.

I know they shouldn't need to be placed as such (crazy!), this is only a thought for anyone who is just trying to get to the point where they can return  theirs for a replacement... like, when they're readily available, and if you bought the store warranty for replacement.  That's what I'm hoping - that nothing goes wrong with mine until they're everywhere.  Then I'd like it to blow up about a week before the store-replacement warranty runs out!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 05:34:48 AM »

Well, I played PDZ (the only other game I own) for about an hour and a half or so online and didn't have any issues.

*shrugs*

Maybe it was that Kameo just pushed the system too much. Who knows. I'll try it again later.

I really should go download a demo and play that for a while. Give the DVD drive a chance to 'rest' while the rest of the system fires away playing a game.

And edit: as I was getting ready to kill the console after playing for about 2 hours, I let PDZ cycle through the intro movie a few times. Just as I was getting ready to power down the system, it hard locked. Oy.

unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 09:03:12 AM »

You could always submerse it in cooking oil  Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 10:00:46 AM »

Well, I played PDZ (the only other game I own) for about an hour and a half or so online and didn't have any issues.

*shrugs*

Maybe it was that Kameo just pushed the system too much. Who knows. I'll try it again later.

I really should go download a demo and play that for a while. Give the DVD drive a chance to 'rest' while the rest of the system fires away playing a game.

And edit: as I was getting ready to kill the console after playing for about 2 hours, I let PDZ cycle through the intro movie a few times. Just as I was getting ready to power down the system, it hard locked. Oy.

Have you seen that intro?  Wouldn't you want to stop, no matter the cost?  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »

+DONT SEND YOUR HARD DRIVE IN.

I didnt, got a new hard drive with my new system.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
+DONT SEND YOUR HARD DRIVE IN.

I didnt, got a new hard drive with my new system.

Well, I'll be shipping out my console (again) to Microsoft in the near future, so I think I'll be doing that. Just had Project Gotham Racing lock up within 2 minutes of booting up (the fans and the DVD drive powered down without warning, so as soon as the console went to actually load anything up, it crashed with a 'dirty disk or read error' error), so I placed the call.

Interesting tidbit though - tech support asked me if I shipped my power supply last time. Apparently they're gonna ship me a bigger box this time around so they can check the power supply as well. A good idea (IMHO), and something they should've done the first time around.

Oh well. Now to see if I get a new HD out of it. biggrin
And I also recorded the serial numbers, so I'll know if I get the same console back or not. I hope I don't - the power button won't actually depress in on the console.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »

What a nightmare.

My new XBOX is crashing.

Loads of fun.

Think Im going to send this one in again.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 12:09:19 AM »

So...here's my latest update (for those who care):

1) I got my 360 back in today via next day air. Total turnaround from send in to send out is less than a week (mailed it out Wednesday). Nice.

2) It's a completely brand new 360 (based on both documentation on the outside of the console, and how the serial number doesn't match what I sent in).

3) I did NOT get a new, free HD. Jerks. biggrin

Unfortunately, I can't test the console. Why?

They didn't send back my power supply.

So I'm on the phone with them right now and getting both the power supply and the power cord (apparently they're considered two seperate items for some reason) shipped to me. And I'll post yet another update once I get those back in.

*sighs*

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 02:02:21 AM »

it's nice to know that MS's replacement policy is working so well for you. smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 02:07:41 AM »

OMG - you SO deserve an extra HD, or - or - something!

When your 360 gets all back together - even if everything works great - you really should write a letter to Customer Support, detailing everything you've gone through, and how little enjoyment you've had with the system (understatement!)  DO NOT forget to mention the loss of the game!  Really overload them with every single annoying detail, with whatever dates, times, customer support mistakes, etc. that you can.  You might be pleasantly surprised by someone, or something, you never know.  If anyone deserves a (pleasant) surprise at this point, it's you!  :wink:

I've done it myself for egregious errors - I always use the polite but firm approach - no demands, just:  "I really thought you should know this! I'm a loyal fan, but this has been terribly upsetting" (ahem, or some such drivel). I've received some nice "We're so sorry" products on the few occasions I've felt driven to do this.  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 03:15:38 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
OMG - you SO deserve an extra HD, or - or - something!

When your 360 gets all back together - even if everything works great - you really should write a letter to Customer Support, detailing everything you've gone through, and how little enjoyment you've had with the system (understatement!)

Heh... you guys should read the ordeal I wrote about what I've gone through in returning my Dell TV.  I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing, but you can read it on the Gamers With Jobs forum in the "My experience with Dell Hell" thread.  Suffice it to say, Destructor's 360 "nightmare" is tame in comparison.   :twisted:

Not that I'm trying to one-up you, man, just saying that I'd have MUCH preferred what you're going through!   biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 03:46:08 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Heh... you guys should read the ordeal I wrote about what I've gone through in returning my Dell TV.  I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing, but you can read it on the Gamers With Jobs forum in the "My experience with Dell Hell" thread.  Suffice it to say, Destructor's 360 "nightmare" is tame in comparison.   :twisted:

Not that I'm trying to one-up you, man, just saying that I'd have MUCH preferred what you're going through!   biggrin

Don't worry - I realize that dealing with Microsoft is like dealing with a purring kitten compared to some of the companies out there. I mean, I could be dealing with Sony here about a busted PS3 or something instead.  :roll:

Well, Microsoft said they'll overnight a power supply and cord to me. Odds are it won't hit me by tomorrow (as I called at 5pm AZ time today), so I'm hoping Wednesday.

Oh, and real quick - my new 360's 'birthdate' is 12-25. Yes, apparently even on Christmas, Microsoft was making consoles.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 04:07:47 AM »

Oh, and real quick - my new 360's 'birthdate' is 12-25. Yes, apparently even on Christmas, Microsoft was making consoles.

Your 360 is the little baby Jesus!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 04:48:49 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

It is the second coming.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:26 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

It is the second coming.

In Destructor's case... wouldn't it be the third? smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 12:32:51 PM »

I have gone through something similar.  System died, they had me send in my system, and only my system.  A week later roughly I got a brand new system back with a new HD, bonus.... except the new one wouldn't turn on.  So I call up MS and they tell me to send in my power supply, but I had to pay the shipping.  They specified to send the power supply and cords.  So a week later I recieve a power supply back, but no cord to connect the power supply to the wall.  So I call MS.  This was one week ago, I am still waiting on my cord.  I been without my system for 3 weeks now.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I have gone through something similar.  System died, they had me send in my system, and only my system.  A week later roughly I got a brand new system back with a new HD, bonus.... except the new one wouldn't turn on.  So I call up MS and they tell me to send in my power supply, but I had to pay the shipping.  They specified to send the power supply and cords.  So a week later I recieve a power supply back, but no cord to connect the power supply to the wall.  So I call MS.  This was one week ago, I am still waiting on my cord.  I been without my system for 3 weeks now.

Ouch. Not only didn't you have a working system forever, but they made you pay for shipping on your power cord? Evil. Apparently all isn't right with Microsoft here.

On a side note, I know a friend who somehow got an extra 360 from Microsoft. They misplaced his console somehow during shipping, and during the 4 weeks it took for 'repair', they gave up on the console as a lost cause and sent him a new one.

Then he got back his old console a few days later. Free console!

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 04:18:26 PM »

And neither works correctly right? slywink
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Ouch. Not only didn't you have a working system forever, but they made you pay for shipping on your power cord? Evil. Apparently all isn't right with Microsoft here.

On a side note, I know a friend who somehow got an extra 360 from Microsoft. They misplaced his console somehow during shipping, and during the 4 weeks it took for 'repair', they gave up on the console as a lost cause and sent him a new one.

Thankfully I work for Fed Ex.  To ship it overnight only cost me $10 instead of $44.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »

Well, I just got half of my power supply in - the part that goes from the power brick to the wall.

Hurrah for two seperate shipping items. *rolls eyes*

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 12:16:27 AM »

Sooo, does it work??
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:29 AM »

Quote from: "Lee"
Sooo, does it work??

Haven't gotten the other half of the power supply in. I'm figuring tomorrow.

Then we'll see if my 'Third Coming' console will be the working one.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 04:12:33 AM »

I would've gone and bought a 3rd party power cord, and returned it when yours comes in, just for that peace of mind and not having to wait any longer.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 04:47:14 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I would've gone and bought a 3rd party power cord, and returned it when yours comes in, just for that peace of mind and not having to wait any longer.

They've made such a thing?

To quote Gi-Joe here - "And now you know, and knowing's half the battle." biggrin

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »

Dude, I hope this one works out for you... What a nightmare this has all been... Let us know.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »

Well... let me just say UPS fucking sucks!!      :evil:

Ok that aside... no power cord arrived yesterday despite MS saying to expect it by wednesday.  I called about this on January 24th...  So I call MS and they tell me that the cord was delivered and I should call UPS.  So I call UPS who tells me they delivered it on January 27th.  I explain that I never received it, they told me it was left at my front door.  So I tell them to go fuck a kangaroo and I check my front door.  Nothing... start looking around... it was tossed behind a fucking hedge next to my front door so as to protect it from the weather (at least that is my guess as to why it was behind a hedge.  Was so pissed last night when I found it that I didn't even bother to test it.  Hopefully everything works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: