http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gnomoria - A Dwarf Fortress-like with a graphical UI  (Read 2609 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »

So, there's a new player in the field of Dwarf Fortress like games, and its name is Gnomoria. http://gnomoria.com/

Basically, its a town of gnomes that you manage, and you can dig, build, sow, plant, harvest your way through the seasons, whilst fighting off goblins and golems.

Like in Dwarf Fortress, you manage your gnomes by assigning tasks like digging out tunnels, marking areas of trees to be felled, farms to be sowed and so on. Your gnomes also do a lot of work on their own by hauling things, milking cows, and generally helping out where they are needed.

You can also organize them into a militia to defend against goblin invasions or Golems that comes from the dark, just like Grue's.

You can download the demo and try it for free for 6 days (in-game time) and the game itself can be bought through Desura or the games own website.

I've played this a bit the last few days, so feel free to ask me any questions!

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

Neat.  I've always liked the idea of Dwarf Fortress, but could never get past the text-based graphics.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »

Wonderful! Even these simplistic graphics make the game style much more bearable. And look, a mouse driven interface! Tongue

Just because I support this concept, and hope it develops into something just as fleshed out as DF, but more usable, I purchased it. Will let you know how the alpha is.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »

This would b

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »

This would make a perfect game for a tablet...

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »

Looks pretty good but just like Dwarf Fortress I had no idea what I was doing and my people soon starved and/or fell asleep with no hope of survival.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »

Well to start, carve a small home into the mountain.

Cut down some trees for building materials. Make a sawmill workshop to turn them into planks. Also find some stone to get raw stone to make the workshops.

Just make sure you have raw stone and wood on hand at all times and you can build whatever you need.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »

Yeah I figured that out after watching a lets play on Youtube.  I never would have figured out that "wall" was the option for dig a tunnel.  I thought I just had to dig a hole straight down and was confused when I never found any rock to make a sawmill with.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »

Be aware that doors are currently just decorations, and will not hold out goblins intent on murdering your gnomes in their sleep.

Speaking of which - In a fight one of my gnomes had with a goblin, he picked up another goblins arm and promptly beat the goblin to death with it - If that isnt' awesome, I don't know what is!

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »

Cool, looks like they're using similar systems to DF.

I noticed that the map is somewhat limited, even on the huge setting. So there isn't quite as big of a world, but it's a nice start. Over time they can just add more.
neofit
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

Looks similar to Towns on the same Desura, thanks for the heads up. 2012 is the year of the usable DF-like games smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: