http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:28:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gladius. Remember Gladius? Also: KOTOR 3 Cancelled?!?!?!?!  (Read 2866 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »

Gladius (I'd post a link, but it seems my favorite console site doesn't hav a review). was/is a fabulous turned based strategy game by LucasArts that to the chagrin of everyone who has any sense didn't sell worth a hoot.

I, however, adored it.  I put 50+ hours into finishing it (as the Barbarians) and there were many work nights that I stayed up until 3 in the morning playing it.  That's how good it was for me.

Does anyone know of a game similar to it?

Anyone know the official status of a potential sequel?

If you fancy TBS, run don't run to your local bargain bin and pick it up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:07:48 PM »

Quite a few good TBS games on the PS2 and GBA, but I can't think of another on the XBox.  It is just not a genre that the XBox is strong in.  Compared to a lot of the PS2 turn based games, I believe Gladius was average at best.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:11:09 PM »

I loved Gladius and would love to see a Gladius 2 on the 360.  That game sucked away many hours of my life.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:17:42 PM »

Tried it on the PS2 for a little bit but sadly it failed to click for me right away. I might go back to it sooner or later, but it just had that "meh" feeling to it.

/shrug

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 01:38:22 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Tried it on the PS2 for a little bit but sadly it failed to click for me right away. I might go back to it sooner or later, but it just had that "meh" feeling to it.

Yep.  For some reason it failed to grab me.  And I really liked the idea of a fantasy strategy game that didn't involve big-eyed anime heroes.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I loved Gladius and would love to see a Gladius 2 on the 360.  That game sucked away many hours of my life.

Totally agree!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 02:41:22 PM »

Sequel was planned, started, and got cancelled unfortunately, in the same great wave of LucasArts cancellations that claimed KOTOR3.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 02:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Sequel was planned, started, and got cancelled unfortunately, in the same great wave of LucasArts cancellations that claimed KOTOR3.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?

No KOTOR THREE IS PLANNED?

WHere't he proof. Say this is all a lie!!!!

<weeps>
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 02:55:07 PM »

Lucasarts runs a close second to EA in the ASSHOLE division.

No sam-n-max, no DotT, no Full Throttle, No Giants Citizen Kabuto(publisher), no KOTOR3.

Christ, you know what this industry needs? YALSWGBOMTGSTWTFBTS

(Yet-Another-Lame-Star-Wars-Game-Based-On-Me-Too-Game-Style-That-Will-Fail-Because-They-Suck)

::sigh:: I can't wait for Grand Theft Wookie.  :roll:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 03:32:32 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Quote from: "kathode"

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?

No KOTOR THREE IS PLANNED?

This all happend over  a year ago (before even KOTOR 2's release).  KOTOR 3 was being developed internally at Lucasarts and was canned along with almost all of the internally developed projects when Lucasarts underwent a major reorganization last summer.

Doesn't mean KOTOR 3 won't happen- just that it will be likely outsourced again like the previous two games.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 03:47:13 PM »

The KOTOR saga I believe has been a financial windfall for LucasArts so I can't imagine them not at least outsourcing it to someone else. It'd be fun to see Raven take a swing at an RPG like that. smile Of course, Bioware could do it, but has the muscle to tell LucasArts to go screw themselves if LA tries to change deadlines on them like they did with Obsidian.

Personally, I'm waiting to try out KOTOR 2 until the fan-made content-completion patch is finished. In theory, this should be 1st or 2nd quarter of next year. I don't know that it will fundamentally alter the game's ending, but wouldn't it be cool if it did? biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 04:44:15 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Giants Citizen Kabuto(publisher)

Lucas Arts was releasing a sequal to this?  Cool!  I mean, damn!  But I thought the original was released by Interplay.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »

TIME PARADOX

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 05:25:14 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

TIME PARADOX

w00t!

I was attempting to blow minds with my craziness but you've saved the day!

You win teh prizorzozozoz!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 06:33:03 PM »

Man I loved Gladius too.  There isnt anything like it though.  A non-japanese (meaning no 8 year old looking protagonists and dialogue that takes itself seriously) fantasy set SRPG.

olaf
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 06:39:13 PM »

I too wanted to like Gladius very much but found it extremely slow and sort of boring. Too bad, it had a very cool setting.

As for KOTOR3, I was under the impression that it already had been outsourced.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 06:47:16 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"

Lucas Arts was releasing a sequal to this?  Cool!  I mean, damn!  But I thought the original was released by Interplay.

It might have been, however right now LA is publisher for PlanetMoon Studios, makers of Giants, and Armed and Dangerous.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 06:54:16 PM »

WHAT?

NO KOTOR 3?

I will go absolutely ballistic if this is true.  I swear I will not leave any prisoners.   :evil:

Remember how excited I got over Emergency on DVD?  Well, take that and change it to absolute hatred and anger and mulitply the intensity by 5 f****** billion!

How much more assanine can this industry get?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 06:59:38 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"

It might have been, however right now LA is publisher for PlanetMoon Studios, makers of Giants, and Armed and Dangerous.

I adore PlanetMoon studios. Giants and Armed and Dangerous are absolutely fantastic!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »

I only got to play Gladius on a PS2.  That version was butt-ugly, so I never really got to liking the game.  My brother had it on the XBox, though, and played it a bunch.  Apparently he really liked it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »

But Interplay (or whatever dregs are left of it) would still own the IP so I'm at a loss for how you blame Lucasarts for the lack of a Giants sequel.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 09:22:24 PM »

yes gladius was very fun - atb (was that who started the thread?) if youre looking for more turn based xbox love - check out dai senyraku whatever the hell it was called - $20 game of modern military combat - good stuff.

also, there was another tbs xbox game with some "button pressing" mechanics like gladius had, but i cant remember the name - which is no loss because the consensus was that it sucked, hardcore.

i got off my lazy ass - its future tactics - like i said (though i never played it) it was supposed to suck - but if youre jonesin... though id go with the other one i mentioned
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
WHAT?

NO KOTOR 3?

I will go absolutely ballistic if this is true.  I swear I will not leave any prisoners.   :evil:

Remember how excited I got over Emergency on DVD?  Well, take that and change it to absolute hatred and anger and mulitply the intensity by 5 f****** billion!

How much more assanine can this industry get?

smile You're totally the reason I changed the name of the thread.

Misery loves company.

That said, what someone above said, I figured immediately before my thread title change that both the titles were third party devs...so I'm sure it wasn't cancelled forever cancelled.

It'll probably be a 360 title...and force me to buy it just for that game slywink Tongue biggrin
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:26 PM »

It'll probably be a 360 title...and force me to buy it just for that game    

Rumor has it that it will be a PS3 title.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Well since I'm not committed to any next gen platform, that's fine with me slywink.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 08:18:09 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

I can't imagine why they would do that. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me since the game was never on PS2 in the first place. It just seems counterintuitive.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 10:35:27 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I can't imagine why they would do that. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me since the game was never on PS2 in the first place. It just seems counterintuitive.

Maybe they assume the PS3 will end up with the same install base/ratio to the Xbox and want to squeeze every penny out of it?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 12:57:39 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Maybe they assume the PS3 will end up with the same install base/ratio to the Xbox and want to squeeze every penny out of it?
Yeah, but you can capitalize on 360 first-or PC/360 and then port it over. Still not sure I understand.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 01:30:37 AM »

I too have heard the KOTOR 3 going to PS3 rumor.  However the same rumor also said it should have been announced during E3 so that shows you the grain of salt to take that with...

However, I will be surprised not one iota to find that KOTOR 3 is multiplatform.  Unlike KOTOR 1&2 which required the Xbox HDD to work, I don't see any technical reason that KOTOR 3 would have to be 360 exclusive.  Barring some big fat money sacks from MS, I would expect Lucasarts to push to get it into as many consumer's hands as possible.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 12:45:31 PM »

I don't care if KOTOR 3 comes out on a freakin Atari 2600 or a Commodore 64!!!!  Just come out!  PERIOD!!!  I'm getting all three next gen systems anyway so it's not an issue for me as to what platform it comes out on.

I already have my character ready to go! biggrin  Lynrya Centaura, Jedi Guardian and sister of both Rylan Centaura (Jedi Sentinel - KOTOR 1) and Cayn Centaura (Jedi Consular - KOTOR 2). biggrin

Starshifter holds head low and walks slowly away for such a display of wonton geekness. :wink:

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 01:22:44 PM »

I already have my character ready to go! biggrin  Lynrya Centaura, Jedi Guardian and sister of both Rylan Centaura (Jedi Sentinel - KOTOR 1) and Cayn Centaura (Jedi Consular - KOTOR 2). biggrin

:shock:
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »

:shock:

slywink
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »

The trilogy must be completed!

I knew you would understand ATB.  :wink:

I have a complete character history in place for the KOTOR series and the story of the Centaura sister must be told!

XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

I agree the trilogy must be completed. The first two were simply too much fun, flaws and all, to miss the opportunity for a third game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2005, 02:01:25 AM »

Guys, a sequel will happen- no worries.  Despite all of the internet complaining, KOTOR 2 sold great and outsold every other recent Lucasarts game except maybe Mercenaires and the ROTS games, both of which were multiplatform.  KOTOR 2 is a very profitable franchise so Lucasarts is surely going to make more.  Just probably not internally as originally planned, which is likely a good thing.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Guys, a sequel will happen- no worries.  Despite all of the internet complaining, KOTOR 2 sold great and outsold every other recent Lucasarts game except maybe Mercenaires and the ROTS games, both of which were multiplatform.  KOTOR 2 is a very profitable franchise so Lucasarts is surely going to make more.  Just probably not internally as originally planned, which is likely a good thing.

Oh I am sure its a good thing. The first was a wonderful game, the second could have been great had it not been rushed, and the third should be made by someone that has the capability of creating the first two smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 05:13:34 AM »

Oh I am sure its a good thing. The first was a wonderful game, the second could have been great had it not been rushed, and the third should be made by someone that has the capability of creating the first two smile

Heh, that's actually my biggest concern.  Assuming Bioware doesn't do it (which seems to be the case) and Obsidian stands by their statement they don't want to do another one, what PC RPG devs are really left that are a realistic options?  Bethesda is the only other AAA PC RPG dev I can think of now and they're obviously not an option.  

Hence my biggest fear- Lucasarts contracts it to someone not traditionally associated with RPGs who take it in a new direction not only storywise but likely gameplay wise too (I envision more action oriented gamplay, less dialague, less choice, etc).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2005, 05:33:35 AM »

Maybe it's being done by the mystery developer who is supposedly working on Baldur's Gate 3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2005, 06:25:06 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Maybe it's being done by the mystery developer who is supposedly working on Baldur's Gate 3.

Isn't it kind of known that Irrational is doing BG3?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2005, 06:52:37 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

Isn't it kind of known that Irrational is doing BG3?

:shock: Say what?!?!?!? I didn't know that  :shock: You better be right. If you get my hopes up for nothing, not even Hobbes will be able to save you...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: