http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 10:51:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Give me a reason to keep playing Sly 3  (Read 613 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »

The original Sly Cooper may be my favorite platformer ever.  The extended platforming sequences are a ton of fun.  The departure that Sly 2 took was a disappointment, and I only started getting into it towards the end.  I picked up the 3rd to finish off the series, played almost through the 2nd episode and I haven't felt the urge to keep playing it.  The missions are way too short and just kind of boring.  The 3D is a bad gimmick, and there isn't much of a story yet pushing me forward.

My backlog is so big that I don't feel like wasting my time.  Is there something out there special waiting for me if I keep going?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 07:14:07 PM »

I've never played any of the Sly games (my son is currently playing through the first one), but I have always heard it is a series that gets worse as it goes on, which would be the opposite of what I hear about Ratchet and Clank.  So, if you base it on that, and given that you weren't too ecstatic about Sly 2, you should probably stop.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:44:32 PM »

I actually thought Sly 2 was the best of the bunch because I *loved* finding the 30 bottles in each level and the omission of that element really hurt Sly 3 for me. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:46:37 PM »

All three Sly games were fantastic, IMHO. The first wasn't good as the latter two, but I loved how the characters melded together during the course of the series.

I'd definitely press on on Sly 3. Ignore the 3D glasses (yes, they truly are a gimmick, but they do sorta work in a way) and play away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

Hm - the fact that you think that the first was not as good as the second 2 might be a vote to stop playing as far as I'm concerned  icon_biggrin

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:00:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 23, 2006, 07:08:12 PM

The original Sly Cooper may be my favorite platformer ever.  The extended platforming sequences are a ton of fun.  The departure that Sly 2 took was a disappointment, and I only started getting into it towards the end.  I picked up the 3rd to finish off the series, played almost through the 2nd episode and I haven't felt the urge to keep playing it.  The missions are way too short and just kind of boring.  The 3D is a bad gimmick, and there isn't much of a story yet pushing me forward.

My backlog is so big that I don't feel like wasting my time.  Is there something out there special waiting for me if I keep going?

This is exactly how I felt about Sly 3. I thought Sly 1 was an inventive, fun game. I'd put it in my Top 5 favorite games for this console generation in fact. Sly 2 was still a good game, but it was a definite step down from the first one. I got about two hours into Sly 3 before I permanently shelved the game. I was on the mission where you have to bounce the hippo around like a basketball when I realized that it was completely stupid and it wasn't worth slogging through pointless filler to get to a few short platforming missions.

It's a shame, because the Sly series is such a fun and visually distinctive series.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 09:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 23, 2006, 08:00:46 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 23, 2006, 07:08:12 PM

This is exactly how I felt about Sly 3. I thought Sly 1 was an inventive, fun game. I'd put it in my Top 5 favorite games for this console generation in fact. Sly 2 was still a good game, but it was a definite step down from the first one. I got about two hours into Sly 3 before I permanently shelved the game. I was on the mission where you have to bounce the hippo around like a basketball when I realized that it was completely stupid and it wasn't worth slogging through pointless filler to get to a few short platforming missions.

It's a shame, because the Sly series is such a fun and visually distinctive series.

I really echo Andrew's feelings on these games, however with a slightly less impressed view. The difficulty and poorly placed checkpoints in Sly 1 and 2 make it a pain in the ass in some levels, and sly 2 really was a step back IMO. Sly 3 was not any fun at all for me. Honestly, go play the rachet and clank games for the best platforming action you can get.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »

I think I'm definitely going to cut my losses here.  It would be great to clean out some of my backlog and dump some games I'm never going to finish, and I think this will help get that underway. If I had patience I would ebay them where I could probably get a lot more than I could trade it for.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:55:24 AM »

Don't get me wrong, Sly 1 was a good game, but the sequels were better games. Looking at all of them, I'd have to say that Sly 2 was the best out of the series. 3 got a bit goofy at points (bouncing Murray around as described was one of the low areas), and 1 was outright nasty at points as far as checkpoints went (but the game would cheat in your favor if you kept on dying, too). But they were all fun and more than worth one's time if you enjoyed a good platformer.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: