http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GHWT or Rock Band 2  (Read 3572 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »

Given that my wife and I do not have a drum kit or mic (only have previous GH games), which should we get for Christmas? We could always end up with both games, but definitely only want the instruments from one.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »

My vote goes to RB2.  Pick up a used copy of RB1 as well to bolster your song list.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »

Just going by instruments I would say RB2. That way you get the most options for setting up the drum kit the way you want. If you don't want cymbals, fine. If you do you can get 1, 2 or 3 and put them in different configurations.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »

RB2

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »

Rock Band fanboy checking in.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 05, 2008, 12:44:29 PM

My vote goes to RB2.  Pick up a used copy of RB1 as well to bolster your song list.

Make sure you get a used copy from Gamestop and return it within 7 days (getting 100% of the purchase price back) once you boost your song list with it. biggrin

I have to say - GHWT's song list is quite a bit of fun, but there was something bugging me about their note lists. And I was only playing on Normal. I prefer RB's tracking still.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:09:53 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »

Having played both quite a bit now, I'd have to say you should get RB2.  I agree that some of the song choices for GHWT are 'better' but the game simply isn't as fun for me.  I have a much better time when playing songs in RB/RB2.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

I like both games quite a bit but if I had to choose one I would get Rock Band 2. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »

I have GH:WT for sale w. its guitar.

I'm not selling my RB2 or its guitar.

You figure it out. slywink

GH has better customization, RB2 has a better library, interface and is more pick-up-and-play friendly.

and like KD said, rent RB1, pay the 5bux and import most of those tracks into RB2.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:47:25 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »

rock band for these 2 simple reasons alone. RB library is HUUUUUUUUGE and the UI is leaps and bounds cleaner than what neversoft has done with it. watching the videos from world tour is extremely painful. also the rb2 drum set is built much better. the battery area is very annoying and was solved by folding a small piece of paper, but the batteries still jar loose, of course I play on expert though too. I hear the guitar is better as well, especially in the strum bar area. I'm going to stick with the gh3 guitar since i rarely play guitar.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 05, 2008, 02:42:59 PM

I like both games quite a bit but if I had to choose one I would get Rock Band 2. 

Me too. 

I think GH:WT has a few advantages over RB2 (music maker, art style, celeb avatars, some songs done better), but the monstrous RB2 song catalog makes it the winnah.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »

This might help answer the question:  activision wants money for user created songs.

- shaggy

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »

I love me some RB.  I have the initial instruments that I picked up in March with my 360.  I had RB2 and the red guitar that came with it.  I like the buttons a lot better for my RB guitar than the weird, rounded buttons than the GH guitar has.

YMMV, so I would recommend that you take to the stores or friends' homes to try it out and see which you are most comfortable with.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »

RB2 without hesitation my friend. The new drum set is rock solid and the song library is enormous.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:04 AM »

Pros and cons of each (IMHO of course.)

RB2

Pros

- Huge song library. For the cost of the game plus ~$10 you get 150+ songs when you factor in the RB1 tracks and the soon to be released 20 free songs.

- In-game music store with an enormous amount of content for every musical taste and great presentation.  You can see the difficulty levels for each instrument and listen to a preview of every song.

-The quickplay song selection interface is wonderful.  It matches the music store in presentation and allows creation of song lists up to 99 songs long. You can also see the difficulty level for each instrument.

-No fail mode.  Great for parties where you have people of varying skill levels.

-World Tour mode is huge.  You can play solo or with a band and it integrates your DLC which makes for tons of different venues and setlists.

-Online challenges that change constantly so there is always a reason to log in and check out what new challenges are available.

-The guitar has a built in calibration feature that fixes one of my biggest pet peeves from RB 1.  IE getting calibrated with your TV.

-You can create all of the members of your band and play with them in the tour.

Cons

-Harmonix seems to be obsessed with releasing lesser known songs instead of bigger hits.  Some may like that philosophy, but not me.

-If you fail out of the song at the beginning of a set you can't skip the song and continue. You have to go back and create a new setlist.

-You will repeat songs quite a bit in World Tour Mode. 

-In band play mode all of the note tracks move at the lowest common speed.  This can be annoying if you have some people playing expert  and some people playing easy.  The expert players' note charts will be all crunched together and will be very difficult to read.

-No band vs band multiplayer.

GH:WT

Pros

-The character creator is much better than RB2's. 

-Online band vs band play.

-The note charts are more fun in my opinion.  I prefer the GH charts over RB in just about all of the songs common to both games.

-Independent note track speeds for all instruments during band play. I know I have mentioned it twice, but it is a huge advantage IMHO.  Also you can set hyperspeed for each instrument individually instead of all or nothing.

-Less really bad songs in the track list.  GH:WT does not make you play all of the bonus songs to finish the campaign.

-Bass charts are more interesting due to open notes and better charting.

-Star power is shared among all of the band members so anyone can use it at anytime.

-When browsing the songs in quickplay you can see the star level and score for each difficulty.  There is also a high score saved for individual local players.

Cons

-The drum system is not as good as RB2 IMHO.  I do not like the way star power is initiated by hitting two pads at the same time. Also fills just encourage banging away instead of creating an nice beat.

-The quickplay song selection screen is terrible.  Also you can only create song lists with a maximum of 6 songs.

-No in game music store.

-The interface while the song is playing is hard to read.  The streak and star power counters are small and up in the top left corner of the screen instead of in the lower center like RB2. 

-The song creator is useless.  It is very complicated, limited to 3 minutes per song, and the songs sound like 8 bit midi samples.

-Not nearly as many songs as Rock Band 2.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:43:08 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »

And for us from eu:
GHWT:
Pros : Is being released in Europe

RB2:
Cons : Isn't (yet anyway)

Screw you Harmonix   icon_mad
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »

Wow. I'd been learning GHWT since I thought the drums were supposed to be better and I likes the song list a bit more, but the sentiment here seems to be pretty overwhelmingly in RB2's favor.

Thankfully in regards to the note chart my wife plays med-hard and I play med, so that's at least a bit less of an issue. Well, unless i hear a compelling argument for GH (I'm still listening) I'll probably go GHWT.

~ Tim
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 05:31:35 PM »

"-Star power is shared among all of the band members so anyone can use it at anytime."

That is also the case in RB2. The multiplier is a shared multiplier.

Azhag, if you're interested in the game and guitar (GH:WT) let me know. I bought it and would happily part with it.

[/trade whoring]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 06, 2008, 05:31:35 PM

"-Star power is shared among all of the band members so anyone can use it at anytime."

If I understand it right, in GH:WT anyone can activate star power if it's charged, whereas in Rock Band everyone has their own individual charge meter.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2008, 06:18:41 PM

If I understand it right, in GH:WT anyone can activate star power if it's charged, whereas in Rock Band everyone has their own individual charge meter.

Having played both games, that's exactly how it works in both games. Also, in both games, if multiple people fire up their star power at the same time, you get band score bonuses.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2008, 07:17:04 PM

Having played both games, that's exactly how it works in both games. Also, in both games, if multiple people fire up their star power at the same time, you get band score bonuses.

If the drummer has a full bar of overdrive in Rock Band and the guitarist just used up his own there is no way for the guitarist to activate overdrive for the band short of reaching over and smacking the green cymbal.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 06, 2008, 07:26:01 PM

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2008, 07:17:04 PM

If the drummer has a full bar of overdrive in Rock Band and the guitarist just used up his own there is no way for the guitarist to activate overdrive for the band short of reaching over and smacking the green cymbal.

Exactly right. And only during a drum fill section. In RB 2 I have seen instances where the vocalist had a full star power bar, but was unable to use it so the band failed out when the guitarist failed.  In GH:WT the starpower is accrued and shared by the whole band, so the guitarist would have access to the starpower.  Also in GH:WT the vocalist can activate star power at any time by clapping or pressing a button on the controller instead of waiting for a specific freestyle section to come up.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

I think the biggest con with GHWT is that there is no saving anyone.  You fail, everyone fails.  Welcome back to a game where family members don't want to play because they don't want to 'let anyone down'.  My mom LOVES RB2 but never wants to play GHWT for this very reason.  If she gets overwhelmed she is all apologies with GHWT, but with RB2 she knows that one of us can usually save her. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 08, 2008, 04:46:50 PM

I think the biggest con with GHWT is that there is no saving anyone.  You fail, everyone fails.  Welcome back to a game where family members don't want to play because they don't want to 'let anyone down'.  My mom LOVES RB2 but never wants to play GHWT for this very reason.  If she gets overwhelmed she is all apologies with GHWT, but with RB2 she knows that one of us can usually save her. 

If there is star power at all available, how is she failing?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

Maybe you should stop hitting her when she fails.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 08, 2008, 06:06:47 PM

If there is star power at all available, how is she failing?

Probably because in GHWT the meter starts at neutral, whereas in RB the meter starts out full, thereby giving you more time to get the star power.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

Well RB2 isn't out here yet (UK), i got GHWT and am using the GH2 guitar with it.

Personally i'm really enjoying many of the songs in GHWT and it's way way better than GH3.

Will i be able to use the RB2 drums with it though? If so i will probably go that route.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »

Metallica's guitar hero game is coming out at the end of this month.  I want to jump on this day one and play both guitar and drums.  But it is a big expense and want to make sure the guitar hero world tour is worth the price (PS3 version).  I don't have either rock band or guitar hero.  Very interested in diving into this new gen.  Looking for some feedback to help make my decision.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »

Really it all comes down to personal preference. And as the owner of RB2 instruments and the RB1, RB2, and GHWT game disks, I have to say I prefer the rock band games. Yes, GHWT has a drum set with 2 cymbals, but I have the RB2 drum set and bought 3 cymbals as add-ons, which feels better to me.

Then there is the graphical presentation. Some people do prefer the guitar hero graphics. Personally though I like the additional camera angles and animations in Rock Band. I like it when they do a close up of the singer and she touches the camera and moves it. Or when the singer dives into the crowd. Or when the singer and guitarist lean into the mic and sing together.

And though I really really tried to like the graphics in GHWT I can't get past thinking that they move like puppets. I'm sorry but that's what it looks like to me.

But obviously there are lots of people who like that graphics style. Lots of people also like GHWT and some even prefer it over RB. So the best advice is - check out the youtube videos showing gameplay from both. Go to BestBuy and check out the instruments. Hold them in your hands. Try the demos. See which one you like and which one brings a smile to your face when playing.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »

My hat goes in the RB2 ring.  There is a gameplay element in Rock Band 2 that changed everything for me - being able to save your friends if they fail out.  You work as a band to complete the song.  With GHWT, if one fails, you all fail. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »

What about customizing your band members?  Does either game allow you to customize what your band members look like and wear?  I have young kids and I don't want them watching skimpy dressed or tattoed band members on the TV.  Really it is the wife that is concerned with that.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Torfish on March 13, 2009, 07:05:04 PM

What about customizing your band members?  Does either game allow you to customize what your band members look like and wear?  I have young kids and I don't want them watching skimpy dressed or tattoed band members on the TV.  Really it is the wife that is concerned with that.

I'm sure both games allow the band members to be customized.  Now, as to whether or not the customizing options are appropriate for your family, I can't tell you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: