http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 09:01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghostbusters impression thread  (Read 6210 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »

So, the save system kind of irked me.  I quick when I got to HQ before library level.  I was set to talk to the girl and find out more story when I loaded, but the damn thing loaded right into the library.  I played through the library and got to HQ again and now they're talking about all this stuff that happened.  Grrr.

Maybe I can choose to replay a level, but I'm worried that'll F up my current save.

EDIT:  It did F up my current save, but I was able to reload the Museum level I was on through the same menu.  Everything seems fine, now.  Dumb that it did that, though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:04:26 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »

This game is too hard. Even on "easy," I cannot imagine I'll ever be able to finish it. The screens are often too damn busy, I can't find what I'm supposed to be shooting at, and the controls on the PS3 for looking/moving basically suck.

All in all, very disappointing. Frustration is NOT entertaining.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2009, 06:34:02 AM »

what? I replayed some parts on casual for artifacts and I thought it was ridiculous easy. Your heat barely goes up. I was able to capture ghosts in one heat cool down.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 20, 2009, 12:59:07 AM

This game is too hard. Even on "easy," I cannot imagine I'll ever be able to finish it. The screens are often too damn busy, I can't find what I'm supposed to be shooting at, and the controls on the PS3 for looking/moving basically suck.

I figured something out recently and it's what made the game fun again. Remember in most cases you have a team, and unlike most games their weapons actually work, so they are picking enemies off too. Focus on keeping your other teammates alive (revive them). and take on one ghost at a a time. Help your teammates capture their ghosts and it goes faster and they go into the trap faster. if you get swarmed run out of the firefight and recover. When you power up your weapons a bit it's harder to get swarmed like the early levels. They definitely balanced it weird as it seems to get easier as you go deeper into the story.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 19, 2009, 04:00:23 PM

So, the save system kind of irked me.  I quick when I got to HQ before library level.  I was set to talk to the girl and find out more story when I loaded, but the damn thing loaded right into the library. 

I encountered this same bug in exactly the same spot. it really pissed me off.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »

Seriously?

As other people said, rely on your teammates.  If you can't find a ghost, look for where your teammates are shooting.  Help them out.  Your teammates are competent.  Use it to your advantage instead of trying to do everything on your own.

Also, the PS3 version?  Yuck.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

It is actually all about team work. The AI isn't great but they're not bad either. Working together to bring down ghosts is the way to play this game and as such the exclusion of campaign co-op is a major oversight. Just took down a mega boss that was a pain, but the fight went alright since I had a full team there. I'm still liking the heck out of this and I love the depth of the story. Quality writing top to bottom.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 20, 2009, 06:06:09 PM

Seriously?

As other people said, rely on your teammates.  If you can't find a ghost, look for where your teammates are shooting.  Help them out.  Your teammates are competent.  Use it to your advantage instead of trying to do everything on your own.

yes, seriously. The point I'm stuck at is in the library. The gray lady has these podiums flying around and I'm supposed to slime them. None of my teammates are helping me do so. However, I can't even see the things, I can't seem to hit them with the spray when I do, and there's so much fire and shit flying around that I keep getting killed. After Egon came over and helped me up for the fifth time, I shut the damn game off and I don't know if I'll be turning it back on.

I'm sorry. Which version was I supposed to buy?

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »

Well, seeing as how I haven't gotten to the library yet, I can't help you out with that.  But, is it really dying if one of the AI characters helped you up (which you do for them scores of times) and you didn't get the mission failed screen?

As for the version, you should have gone with the 360.  The PS3 is known to be slightly gimped graphically, and the forced install doesn't help with the load times at all.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2009, 11:41:32 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 20, 2009, 09:23:48 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on June 20, 2009, 06:06:09 PM

Seriously?

yes, seriously. The point I'm stuck at is in the library. The gray lady has these podiums flying around and I'm supposed to slime them. None of my teammates are helping me do so. However, I can't even see the things, I can't seem to hit them with the spray when I do, and there's so much fire and shit flying around that I keep getting killed. After Egon came over and helped me up for the fifth time, I shut the damn game off and I don't know if I'll be turning it back on.

I'm sorry. Which version was I supposed to buy?

The podiums do need to have some sort of signal that you're hitting them.  I wasn't sure I was doing it, either.  Pretty sure you have to switch to the main stream (proton?) and just pick a spot that they cross, then chase 'em when they're in your sights.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

Just target the podiums and fire away. While they don't take too much damage to take down, the game needs some sort of visual indicator to tell you that you're hitting the things.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:35 AM »

Boson darts work wonders on things like that.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 21, 2009, 02:17:35 AM

Boson darts work wonders on things like that.

I love me some boson darts.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2009, 05:45:02 AM »

By the way, Fireball, why were you trying to slime the podiums?!   saywhat

Nothing at that point in the game indicated that slime was the proper weapon for that fight.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 21, 2009, 05:45:02 AM

Nothing at that point in the game indicated that slime was the proper weapon for that fight.

iirc, one of the others says you should use the slime to stop it
of course, that was such a hectic fight, i don't remember if it was ray or egon who said it.  i was able to shut them down with the slime eventually.  remember you have to arc it a bit up as it's not a beam weapon and gravity does take effect.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2009, 01:10:04 AM »

Picked this up today and am having a blast.  The story is good so far and I am enjoying the humor.  I am playing on the middle difficulty and I finally died (took the elevator in the building as part of the marshmallow man story), but really only because I got pushed in a corner.  I don't find it very difficult or very easy, though.  Liking the variety in ghosts so far and really am enjoying reading the artifact descriptions.  Can't wait to play more.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2009, 03:29:40 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 21, 2009, 10:43:39 PM

of course, that was such a hectic fight, i don't remember if it was ray or egon who said it.  i was able to shut them down with the slime eventually.  remember you have to arc it a bit up as it's not a beam weapon and gravity does take effect.

Man.  All it takes is one boson dart!

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16:12 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 21, 2009, 10:43:39 PM

Yeah, Ray says "Soak the podiums." Instead, this time I just ignored them and used boson darts.

Now I'm stuck in the spider lair. I hate using the PK reader -- I can't run and use it, so finding anything takes for fucking ever. Sigh, I really want to like this game, but there's a line between challenging and frustrating, and it seems to stumble over it left and right.

And, pr0ner, why would I buy the XBox version? I don't own, nor will I ever own, a Microsoft gaming console. I don't think the XBox version would play in my Blu-ray player/occasional game console by Sony. smile
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:19:53 AM by Fireball1244 » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 22, 2009, 05:16:12 AM

Now I'm stuck in the spider lair. I hate using the PK reader -- I can't run and use it, so finding anything takes for fucking ever. Sigh, I really want to like this game, but there's a line between challenging and frustrating, and it seems to stumble over it left and right.

For that fight, bring up the PKE meter and figure out a direction to go, then unequip the meter and run (hold B) in that general direction until you get to a fork in the road, then use the meter again to pick which way to turn.  They give you a pretty good amount of time to get to the spider, and even if you don't get there in time I think it just means you have a beefier attack or two to dodge (you are hitting B and a direction to dodge, right?)

What difficulty level are you playing on?  Sounds like all you need to do to start having fun is drop it down to easy.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 22, 2009, 05:16:12 AM

And, pr0ner, why would I buy the XBox version? I don't own, nor will I ever own, a Microsoft gaming console. I don't think the XBox version would play in my Blu-ray player/occasional game console by Sony. smile

That might be a slight hinderance to buying the superior version of the game.   slywink

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 22, 2009, 12:51:28 PM

What difficulty level are you playing on?  Sounds like all you need to do to start having fun is drop it down to easy.

Oh, trust me, I only play games on the easiest level.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 22, 2009, 04:08:41 PM

Do you have any small children living nearby who could get you past the tough parts? slywink
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 22, 2009, 04:21:00 PM

Do you have any small children living nearby who could get you past the tough parts? slywink

I might want to invest in one!

This is why Donkey Kong is, remains, and will forever be, my favorite video game. At least with that game you can always make sense of what's happening on screen!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 22, 2009, 04:23:43 PM

This is why Donkey Kong is, remains, and will forever be, my favorite video game. At least with that game you can always make sense of what's happening on screen!

:? Wait, running up ramps at burning barrels to get to some chick being held by a giant monkey named Donkey Kong makes sense to you? They don't even have a boss fight! That monkey would DESTROY Mario mano-e-mano.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 22, 2009, 05:07:38 PM

:? Wait, running up ramps at burning barrels to get to some chick being held by a giant monkey named Donkey Kong makes sense to you? They don't even have a boss fight! That monkey would DESTROY Mario mano-e-mano.

don't forget the sentient fireballs!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 22, 2009, 05:07:38 PM

It may not make logical sense, but at least when looking at the screen I can always tell what's going on. Too many games today are so busy-busy-busy on screen that I can't tell what I'm supposed to do. Several sequences in Ghostbusters are like that -- I can't tell what's hitting me or where I'm supposed to fire because of all the explosions and things flying around and whatnot.

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »

has anyone found any cheat codes to "unlock all levels" or something? I just lost my save file at what I'm pretty sure was near the end of the game. Grumble grumble.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2009, 12:38:48 AM »

Not too sure about cheats but I finished it today and holy crap does the difficulty go berserk towards the end. Then the boss is no big deal. Weird. I had no trouble at all with the final boss(es) but the ramp up to that point was insane. The cherub attack in particular was an exercise in pain, but then I retired it a few times and one of those times I aced it. I stand by my score and the finale is alright. I think I was most excited by the identity of the final boss and I wish this third film actually existed.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2009, 06:19:45 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 28, 2009, 12:38:48 AM

Not too sure about cheats but I finished it today and holy crap does the difficulty go berserk towards the end. Then the boss is no big deal. Weird. I had no trouble at all with the final boss(es) but the ramp up to that point was insane. The cherub attack in particular was an exercise in pain, but then I retired it a few times and one of those times I aced it. I stand by my score and the finale is alright. I think I was most excited by the identity of the final boss and I wish this third film actually existed.

Finished this up tonight and I must say I had a blast pretty much the entire time I played it.  I've always loved Ghostbusters (had a T-shirt when I was a kid and was always reading about ghosts so that when a movie came out with Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd where they were going after ghosts and looking cool doing it, it really clicked with me), so for me it was definitely right up my alley.  I thought the game was very funny and I laughed quite a bit.

The only complaint I had was the final couple of sections, especially the first one with the angels.  They really pissed me off and even though I knew what needed to be done to get past the section, they were wiping the floor with me.  Probably took about 8 times, but I got through it.  Then I struggled a little with the next section, though not as much.  I definitely died at that two sections way more than I died at any other part of the game.  People here were complaining about difficulty on Experienced and I just wasn't seeing it until this part.

Anyway, I think I will give the multi a try to see what it is like and will probably go back and try to pick up some of the few artifacts I missed.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »

+1 to WBS and Grue about the difficulty, particularly the part about playing on experienced.  up until then, i was having a great time and hadn't had any major problems, even when you aren't with the whole group.  (i think the first section with ecto-1 was troublesome, but that was before i used it to capture).  the damn cherubs in the first section are just huge pita's and ray was no help at all. most of the time, i had to revive him 3, 4 times, and worst of all, he's too brain dead on when to revive you.  he ran into to save me several times as they were pelting me with the fireballs, knocking us both out.  nice save man. 

the only trick i had was using webbing the gate first and then dodging everything (but not with B, as that breaks the web) and hoping to get a good shot at the little bastards.  i think i tried it about 10 times before quitting and then aced it when i went back last night.  the section later on was also a pita even with all 5 of us as it just took to long to get any of the floaters captured, and you then had those ghosts plus the undead slashers, the tombstone creepers, and the damn cherubs flying around.  really damn aggravating as i was constantly running around playing medic. 

then the last boss?  first try, no problems getting the trick or staying alive. 

i do like the ending and that they tell you how many ghosts/artifacts you found in each level.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »

I finished this last night as well and thought it was one of the more engaging single player games I've played in a while.   The story and writing were especially top notch, although like most I was annoyed by the last level (mostly due to the whole level looking so similar it was very difficult to figure out which way to go next).   I liked the extra movies unlocked after completing it, although it's pretty much identical to the extra content on the Ghostbusters 1 blu-ray.

I might give multi a try tonight to see how it plays, but on single player alone I'd recommend it as a rental at least for anyone remotely a fan of ghostbusters.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »

Finished this Sunday night, had a blast from start to finish.  I was worried about the overall length of the game, but in the end it really didn't bother me.  Eventually I'd like to find all the PKE scans and artifacts, as well well as possibly try a run through on Professional.  The fact that you can jump back to any checkpoint on any level will make that much easier.

Overall, this has to be the one of the best movie-licensed game of all-time.  It kept me playing until I finished, not to mention got me psyched for a (hopefully) third movie.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »

there's a demo out on XBL.  PSN probably has it too.

Because I can,
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »

Add me to the ones who enjoyed this start to finish.  The stone angels were a pain in the behind late in the game, but...

Spoiler for Hiden:
... I found that the levels that they ()the stone angels) made the most difficult, it was possible to avoid them by beating the Cultists and/or the Boss earlier - they only came out late to kick your ass, but the thing that made them even more frustrating was that you would almost be done with the battle and they would swoop down and knock you and everyone else off their feet in a massive insta-death scenario, and if you spent anytime slime-tethering one, another would mash you and you were done.

all in all, my game of the year so far (and i haven't had a go at multi-player yet).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2009, 03:00:26 PM

there's a demo out on XBL.  PSN probably has it too.

I tried to rent the game yesterday but blockbuster was out. I saw the demo up this morning and set it to download as I went to work. If Battlefield is still being stupid I'll be spending my time in the Ghostbusters demo.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »

a little bit late but I got this from Gamefly and played the up through the Collectors fight.  not too bad, but I'm glad I put it on casual just for the story because otherwise I'd be getting my ass kicked in the boss fights.  The podium one was especially hectic with stuff going on everywhere it seemed.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2009, 03:05:16 PM

a little bit late but I got this from Gamefly and played the up through the Collectors fight.  not too bad, but I'm glad I put it on casual just for the story because otherwise I'd be getting my ass kicked in the boss fights.  The podium one was especially hectic with stuff going on everywhere it seemed.

still not released here in UK(other than PS3/2),LOL..it missed its chance with me,when it was first meant to be released would of been perfect..it now,i think gets released the same week as MW2(the friday before actually)

i will wait until it goes down in price,the demo was so-so

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: