http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghostbusters impression thread  (Read 6194 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2009, 10:10:13 PM

anyone actually finding this in store at toys r us?  i'm curious if i should call around or just take my chances tomorrow

Mine had them in at 1pm.  That's where I got it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »

ok wow. after failing 5 times finally beat the library boss. i'm glad i didnt choose the pro level. the AI seems absolutely retarded though. it just doesn't dodge out of the way which kept causing me to fail.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 01:27:04 AM »

This game really is pretty hard. I might need to start over in easy, enjoy the story, then come back for a challenge once I've got the hang of it.

I got stuck on the first boss for an embarrassingly long time, and I think my parrots just may have learned a few new colorful phrases. oops.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »

Love it!

and

Like you've all said - It ain't easy!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 03:27:32 AM »

How good is the multi?   The PC's $30 price point is making this really tempting, but the multi does sound fun (is it another $30 fun is the question).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:39 AM »

I think im the last level and it's been every bit as fun from the first minute.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 04:23:01 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on June 17, 2009, 03:27:32 AM

How good is the multi?   The PC's $30 price point is making this really tempting, but the multi does sound fun (is it another $30 fun is the question).

With xbla down for maintenance today, I don't think people can test.

I got it at tru with the $20 gc - no problems, but I did have to ask the salesperson for it, as they had them behind the counter.

As to the game - it isn't easy on the default 'experienced' difficulty  - after the brief traininig, I went on the first mission, and died 3 times on the spook's minions.  It is fun so far - I had a big grin on my face the whole time - I WAS PLAYING GHOSTBUSTERS!  They've done a great job of making it feel that you are part of a ghostbusters 3 movie so far - the musiç the voices, and the writing seem spot on so far.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »

Well I beat it. It was a fantastic ride throughout the whole thing. I think the pacing and difficulty was just right. There's a few parts that will make you want to punch a baby, especially a certain a graveyard part. Oh yes, you'll know it.

Coming into this game my biggest concern was if the gameplay would hold up through the entire game. I mean it basically boils down to bustin' ghosts right?(cause you gotta feel good, after all) Well it was varied enough in terms of how you actually go about it. Between the 4 guns and their alt modes this added in a lot of variety of what types of ghosts and such they threw your way. Most of the time you'll just killing smaller possessed items or weaker ghosts that you don't have to trap. Combined with a few puzzles here and there and this worked well. The check points were spaced just about right as well.

I thought the level designs were nice and varied. It's very much on rails, but it never quite felt like I was being funneled down one path. You rarely, if ever, see the same corridor twice ala halo 1. You do repeat a few locations, but you see different parts of it so it doesn't really matter much. I liked the hotel levels the best. It had a great atmosphere to it. Which is another thing, there really is a great atmosphere over all. You really feel like you're there. They do a great job of adding in some great effects and sounds to help the creep factor.

It has been a long while since I played a game through like this, last game I really couldn't wait to sit down and play was Persona 4, but seeing how P4 was 80 hours this is a bit different. Ghostbusters kept me playing, kept me wanting to play. I loved the balls out of the movies. I really think this game did it justice. At first it sorta feels like a fan service because you see a lot of famous things from the game right away. But it really branches off on it's own path quite nicely. I dug the story it had an interesting little twist. It really did feel like another film, but this time I was actually doing it!

Let me tell you though, bustin really does make you feel good. Things exploding and wrangling in those ghosts was great fun through out. It was a pure blast.

The slow downs are quite troublesome though. The last boss especially was very bad and very annoying at times in that area. Things definitely dipped well below 30fps. That's about my only complaint about the game, which is my complaint about most games because people apparently can't optimize well or something. Who knows.

I did play about 30 some mins of MP. It really does force you to work as a team. Capturing ghosts alone is a hell of a lot harder than with a partner. You get auto ressed after about 30s, but players can revive you before hand. Clearly you want this because if everyone is knocked down it's game over. I was pleasantly surprised to see that after my first game finished it jumped right into a whole new gametype with the same group. So the action kept flowing. Very good idea I think. You never have to worry about being kicked to the menu and if you get a good group you can easily keep playing. The guns are a bit different in that your regular proton attack is the only one with unlimited ammo. The rest are powerups that randomly appear with a fixed amount. So it adds a bit strategy in using them for the right ghosts. I'm not sure how to upgrade things yet, but money did come fairly easy. I had a lot of fun with it and I think the co-op works well given the setting of the game.

This game is well worth it. I might even replay the missions to get some achievements I missed. This is definitely a must get for any fan and really anyone who wants to play a fun game. I hate ratings and think they are retarded, but if I had to assign a number it would be a 8.5/10. 1 point for the slow down and .5 cause i'm a nit picker and would love to have more CG movies instead of in game ones.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

nice impressions,glad to see you liked it

some questions i have been wanting to know:
how long do you think the single player took you?...as i have heard a few different times (4hrs...5 hrs 8 hrs)..and is there a difficulty selection, and any subtitles? as well please

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:12 AM »

Played about 3 hours last night and I'll pretty much echo what jersoc said.  The game has been fun pretty much every second, not to mention some of the dialog had me laughing out loud.  Bill Murray doesn't sound nearly as into it as in the movies, but his performance works.  My only complaints, besides the infrequent framerate drops, is the game got "stuck" a couple times where I had to shoot an NPC in the face with the proton pack to get things moving.  It's also been very difficult at times, but that's not really a complaint so much as an observation.  I'm playing on Experienced and now I'm not so sure about a replay on Hard after this.  I love the PKE scanning, just not crazy about using it to track down ghosts.  Seems like it takes a little long, and I really wish there was an option to whip out the PKE without going to first person.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Collector boss at the end of level 3 is just kicking my ass.  I need to get better at dodging, as he annihilates me with those spike attacks.  One thing that annoys is the fact that your character doesn't move around very quickly, but I guess you're not going to move very fast with an unlicensed portable nuclear accelerator on your back. icon_biggrin  I should also probably upgrade something, as I've been so caught up in catching ghosts that I haven't even bothered to look at the upgrade screen.

If you're a fan of the movies, I'm not sure why you are even reading this.  You should have this game, now.  For everyone else it's going to be all about the gameplay, which I think holds up quite well.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:51:50 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

Great read, jersoc and others.  Thanks!

More questions about multiplayer:  Do you go into a lobby or something and then just do random missions, collecting money as you capture ghosts, then move on to another random mission?  I'm not exactly sure I understand how it works.

Do you have a persistant character (like in Rainbow 6 or Call of Duty) that levels up, or are the upgrades on a per session basis?

Is the "horde mode" like Gears of War 2 in which your team will get harder ghosts to capture as you progress through the levels?

Thanks again for the great impressions.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »

The EB next to my house was sold out of the 360 version of the game when I stopped in on the way home last night. So I didn't get to play it and probably won't until later this week if/when they get more in. The only time I wish I pre-ordered. Grrr.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 17, 2009, 10:44:09 AM

and is there a difficulty selection, and any subtitles? as well please

There are 3 difficulties at least to start with, the middle difficulty being pretty challenging, subtitles are there as well

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »

Well since I built my own proton pack, PKE meter, and ghost trap out of cardboard when I was a kid, I figured I probably should just go and pick up the game.

Cons:  Encountered a couple areas early on where I died almost instantly without even knowing what killed me, made worse by the 30+ second death loading screen, made worse by the save checkpoints being spaced way too far apart.

Pros:  Everything else.

If you're a fan of the movies, you'll love the game.  There's a ton of the great sarcastic character interplay both in the cutscenes and throughout your mission.  The ghost fighting and capturing mechanics are fantastic.  The fight to wear down the ghost feels just like the movies, with your proton streams ripping apart all the furnishings around you as you try and keep a bead on the ghostie, and the final 'wrangling' of the ghost into the trap is a very satisfying conclusion to the fight.  I'm only a short ways in, but I like how they split the pacing up between you going solo and fighting alongside the other Ghostbusters.

I think this falls squarely in the category of 'somewhat flawed game whose flaws fall away very quickly if you're at all into the subject matter.'
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »

hmmm.... the game sounds great but it also sounds like I might be better off waiting for a price drop/sale since SP seems a bit short and I don't really care about MP.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2009, 02:27:17 PM

hmmm.... the game sounds great but it also sounds like I might be better off waiting for a price drop/sale since SP seems a bit short and I don't really care about MP.

Almost certain be used copies at gamestop by this weekend at the bargain price of $54.99! The $20 GC at TRU was enough for me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 17, 2009, 01:25:47 PM

I think this falls squarely in the category of 'somewhat flawed game whose flaws fall away very quickly if you're at all into the subject matter.'

I think that's a great way of putting it. For me, what flaws the game has (short of possibly the length) are overruled by just how much fun the game is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 17, 2009, 02:29:22 PM

Almost certain be used copies at gamestop by this weekend at the bargain price of $54.99! The $20 GC at TRU was enough for me.

hey, if they have a B2G1 free sale that could be a good thing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »

My copy got delayed in the mail.  My review will, obviously, be late.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »

i have to echo most of the good and bad that was said here so far.  the look, the atmosphere, the sound, the humor and the characters.  everything is right.  you feel like you are in a movie, you get to go point on a lot of awesome ghost hunts and you get a tightly condensed experience.  outside of RFG, i haven't been as happy with a game after playing it all this year.  most games make you wait for the hook, or have one a step removed from you personally.  GB (and RFG) get you on the first strike and keep reeling you in. 

i was a bit apprehensive that the mission structure would be one long path of ghosts and run together like a very long day, but they give you some downtime between the big missions, which opens up the station to look at.  great details there and if you haven't talked to Vigo yet, make sure you do.  there's also some great phone calls you can listen janine answer. 

i like how they integrated the 'revisit' scenes without making it feel like a cheap way to fill up the game.  there are definitely enough moments in those scenes that you get a new, but familiar experience. 

upgrades can make the difference in a tough fight, so use them.  being able to hold down the trigger with a heat reduction upgrade is noticeable.  same with the focusing effect on the proton stream.  i don't think it's actually possible to buy everything in game though, as you don't get all that much for a trap and the upgrades all cost major dough.  really glad you don't have to restrain yourself for damage reimbursement or i would never be able to afford anything.  biggrin 

i made it past the library and into the museum on experienced, and my only drawback would be the lack of co-op through the campaign.  even having just two person co-op would have been awesome. 

now, where's the twinkie?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »

I love finding relics in levels, and when I get back to the Firehouse, they are spread throughout the levels. Max Von Sydow is back as Vigo talking shit, pictures of the Grey Lady, the dancing toaster, the statues from Dana Barrets apartment.

The game is a love letter to a Ghostbuster fan. Game wise, its above average. Combined with the license, its a orgasm of nostalgia and illustrates how damn awesome a license game can be if in the right hands.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the horrifying load screen when you try to go back into your game (at least on the 360).  When you press A at the GB logo, you get a message after choosing your storage device saying that your existing save data will be overwritten.  WTF?!  That is some of the worst technical writing I've seen (at least since Engrish went out of style).  Scares me every time.

Turns out the game is just going to use your current file for autosaves, of course, but that is not what it looks like.  Major leap of faith for me the first time.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »

Price drop probably won't be in the $20 range for awhile, though used in a few months might get you down to $30.  TRU's gift card is probably the best you're gonna do for 6 months or so.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 17, 2009, 04:50:02 PM

Price drop probably won't be in the $20 range for awhile, though used in a few months might get you down to $30.  TRU's gift card is probably the best you're gonna do for 6 months or so.

I wouldn't count on that.  Red Faction Guerrilla has been getting near universal praise, yet is available at a few different websites for $40 about two weeks after it came out (much to the chagrin of all of us who got it that first week).  Prices have gotten very volatile in the gaming market lately.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »

I haven't looked at my final clock time, but it's probably around 7 hours or so. The last level I had to restart this one part almost 10 times and the end boss took me 5. There's a few more levels here and there where I kept dying until I figured it out. yeah, it's a short game, but I think that's more beneficial than anything. While I would loved a 20 hour ghostbuster game, I don't think it would work. There's only so much they can keep things fresh and mixed up w/o losing the pacing feel.

Also the MP is pretty fun. Get a group of guys and you can shoot the shit while busting some ghosts. Like I said before, the way they have it setup is nice so you never get kicked back to a menu after a gametype.

And yeah bullwinkle, that scared the shit out of me cause i just went through it and caught what it said right before it loaded. I was like OH FUCK NOOOOOOOO. Seeing how I took a another break before the last level. I wouldn't have been so pissed about losing progress as beating some of the harder bosses was a major pain. One more complaint I have is the loading times in between deaths. It's pretty bad. About 25 seconds bad in some levels. Which is annoying because in that graveyard section I'd sometimes get screwed and die in 10 seconds. That was not fun.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »

This game is sounding like a good rental the more I read impressions.  The reviews are kinda average.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 17, 2009, 06:29:22 PM

This game is sounding like a good rental the more I read impressions.  The reviews are kinda average.

Reviews all seem pretty positive to me.  Over 80% on GR.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 07:34:25 PM

That's what I mean by average.  There is no "you must get this game right now!" review.

Over 80% sounds nice but it's only by 0.25% slywink
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

There's a lot this game gets right and it is indeed a love letter by fans to fans. The Collector boss made me want to turn the game off right there until I figured out a good way to beat him (or at least stay alive longer)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bouncing between portals as he gets closer means you can jump behind him right before he throws one of his purple spikes at you.

I love the touches throughout like what Slimer is doing when you first see him (which caused me to laugh out loud). Murray isn't in it as much as I'd like, but Aykroyd throws himself so fully back into the role of Ray that I don't care. I think the nods to the fans like Peck are just that - nods. I'd love to have been able to have conversations with Jeanine but her dialogue appears to be all canned. As for the ghostbusting, I think it's great. I like the various mods to the pack (i.e. new weapons) and the fact this keeps the interface clean. Your character handles like a whale for the most part but I don't mind that (except for boss fights like the Collector). I also like how the story is evolving out of seemingly unrelated events, albeit on rails. For instance, the ghostbusters are heading to the source of the disturbances when they get a call from a familiar haunt. In a fit of revenge (which again caused me to laugh out loud) the ghostbusters stumble onto something else that relates to the story as a whole. The way its told is very well done.

I'll have more in my review later but for now I'm definitely thinking it's a solid B+ almost A- game (depending on what else happens).

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »

even though i havent played this game yet(and i want to)it would be interesting to see if your few complaints on the game would get seen to if they ever decide to make a sequel....it could only get better,right?

Talking to Jeanine,more Murray,slightly longer game...much more involved multiplayer,or maybe some proper(4 player) co-op during the normal game etc...that seems to the main bad points i am hearing..which all in all,isnt that bad

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 04:45:49 PM

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the horrifying load screen when you try to go back into your game (at least on the 360).  When you press A at the GB logo, you get a message after choosing your storage device saying that your existing save data will be overwritten.  WTF?!  That is some of the worst technical writing I've seen (at least since Engrish went out of style).  Scares me every time.

apparently Bull,if you go to the Firehouse and on the computer screen you see the end of game message from the original Ghostbusters game...which reads as follows:

Conglaturation !!!
You have completed a great game.
And prooved the justice of our culture.
Now go and rest our heroes !

yes,that says 'Conglaturation' and yes that says 'Prooved'

picture from Kotaku

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:31:19 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 17, 2009, 07:40:59 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 07:34:25 PM

That's what I mean by average.  There is no "you must get this game right now!" review.

Over 80% sounds nice but it's only by 0.25% slywink

Still over.

And here are some comment snippets from Metacritic:
Play Magazine
The gang’s all here—well, except for Louis. Terminal Reality might have created the only true Ghostbusters game, ever, but it’s about as good as we could have asked for (could have used more Murray, though). Who you gonna call? Atari for some DLC.

GameZone
The game was made with a definite sense of appreciation for the original films, and stands well against any other action game out there, even without its license. Sure, it's got some problems, but it's still everything a true fan could hope for.

1UP
As a Ghostbusters fan, this game came through by delivering an entertaining experience with plenty of laughs and just the right amount of action.

Game Revolution
There are some flaws, including the lack of a local co-op mode, however there is just so much that was done right that you can't help but have a blast. It may not be everything you ever wanted out of a Ghostbusters game, but it's as close as you're going to get to perfection at this point.

Team Xbox
For whatever Ghostbusters: The Video Game is lacking purely as a game – and really, it’s not that much – it more than makes up for it in the production. We should hold it up as a model not just for movie into video game translations, but as an example of how you treat a beloved institution right when making a video game about it.

Official Xbox Magazine
Ghostbusters combines a tried-and-true structure with a familiar but fresh license, filling that game with personality and panache - and that's what really raised our spirits.

IGN
There are some moments that cause the game to stumble, but you're getting a new tale in the Ghostbusters canon, fun gameplay, a whole bunch of stuff to destroy, and some cool ghosts to scan. I felt that the game's ending was a bit flat and the romantic interest was forced, but Ghostbusters is a hell of a ride.

GameDaily
It suffers from a few issues (sloppy lip-syncing, repetitive music, unbalanced difficulty), but Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a must play for fans as well as gamers in search of a new shooter.

Game Informer
The real meat of the game is getting to play through the Ghostbusters experience we've always dreamed about as kids - a story that could have easily been "Ghostbusters III." [July 2009, p.81]

GameSpy
Ghostbusters is a fun, accessible game, whether you're a fan of the films or not. It's also the best game based on a film franchise since The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

GamePro
Though I was ultimately somewhat disappointed by the flawed and fundamentally repetitive nature of my time as a green recruit, Ghostbusters' tight online component renewed my long-term enthusiasm for slam-dunking slimers.

Cheat Code Central
The game is full of fun elements, sports an in-depth multiplayer component, and is loaded with fan-service. While I think this is a solid title for anyone interested action gaming and solid storytelling, it is certainly not a must-buy. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

GameSpot
Despite some drawbacks, this satisfying adventure is just what you'd want from a Ghostbusters game: it's funny and it's fun.

One review says must have, another doesn't.  Yet there are a ton of exceedingly positive comments there.  What are you looking for?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:41:12 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 08:34:28 PM

One review says must have, another doesn't.  Yet there are a ton of exceedingly positive comments there.  What are you looking for?

Personally, I'm waiting for Thursday, so I can get paid and either rent it or buy it. Is the MP fun and do you see it having any legs? I don't want to buy the full game if I'm just going to play the single player game...but at the same time I feel like I really want to own this game for some reason. Knowing it has a decent MP to it would make my decision a lot easier.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 17, 2009, 09:14:02 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 08:34:28 PM

Personally, I'm waiting for Thursday, so I can get paid and either rent it or buy it. Is the MP fun and do you see it having any legs? I don't want to buy the full game if I'm just going to play the single player game...but at the same time I feel like I really want to own this game for some reason. Knowing it has a decent MP to it would make my decision a lot easier.

I tried the MP today.  Good, not great.  It won't have legs like CoD or anything, but there is fun to be had for awhile, at least.

For me, the reason to buy it is to send a message that good licensed games will sell better than bad ones (which, annoyingly, still sell).

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 17, 2009, 08:29:43 PM

apparently Bull,if you go to the Firehouse and on the computer screen you see the end of game message from the original Ghostbusters game...which reads as follows:

Conglaturation !!!
You have completed a great game.
And prooved the justice of our culture.
Now go and rest our heroes !

yes,that says 'Conglaturation' and yes that says 'Prooved'

That is most definitely the end 'screen' in the Ghostbusters NES game. Yes, it really is spelled that wrongly. Yes, the NES game really is a piece of shit. Thank you Angry Videogame Nerd. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 17, 2009, 09:21:16 PM

For me, the reason to buy it is to send a message that good licensed games will sell better than bad ones (which, annoyingly, still sell).

That's the reason why I'm leaning towards buying this in the first place. Unfortunately, I should really wait until September to buy it, as money will be tight until then. If it had good MP, I might be able to convince myself that I should buy it right away. Oh well. I'll put it on the list.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle

Heh, goodluck with that campaign.  It's easy to sell crappy licensed games with a good marketing campaign.  For a recent example, see Godfather 2 and NPD numbers for that month.

edit: misquote fixed slywink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:32:12 PM by skystride » Logged
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 18, 2009, 03:05:20 PM

Quote from: msteelers on June 18, 2009, 01:32:42 PM

Heh, goodluck with that campaign.  It's easy to sell crappy licensed games with a good marketing campaign.  For a recent example, see Godfather 2 and NPD numbers for that month.

First off, I have been misquoted and I demand a retraction. Second, while I haven't played Godfather 2, the original Godfather was a hell of a game. If you are implying that Godfather 2 wasn't a good game, but sold well solely because of the movie license, I would have to argue that the fact that many people really enjoyed the first game had probably more to do with its sales figures than the movie license.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »

I honestly think the discrepancy between the reviews has a lot to do with the review editor's personal bias towards the Ghostbuster franchise. I think the fans are rating it higher, which is why I said unless your a big Ghostbusters fan, it won't be anything special.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 18, 2009, 05:49:21 PM

I honestly think the discrepancy between the reviews has a lot to do with the review editor's personal bias towards the Ghostbuster franchise. I think the fans are rating it higher, which is why I said unless your a big Ghostbusters fan, it won't be anything special.

I read the IGN review and it sounds like he's a fan..

Let's get this out of the way: I'm a Ghostbusters Super-Fan.

He gave it 8.  I guess that's good but it doesn't seem like anyone is giving out 90% or higher which to me usually indicates a "must buy".  While 80% is a good score, it's kind of bad timing to come out now with a bunch of other recent titles that are rating much higher than just above 80%.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 18, 2009, 05:58:15 PM

Quote from: Ridah on June 18, 2009, 05:49:21 PM

I read the IGN review and it sounds like he's a fan..

Let's get this out of the way: I'm a Ghostbusters Super-Fan.

He gave it 8.  I guess that's good but it doesn't seem like anyone is giving out 90% or higher which to me usually indicates a "must buy".  While 80% is a good score, it's kind of bad timing to come out now with a bunch of other recent titles that are rating much higher than just above 80%.

In the past month, the only console games to rank higher on GR (RFG, InFAMOUS, Prototype, Tiger Woods 10) are still in the 80s.  Even going back six months, the only games to break 90% are Street Fighter IV and Killzone 2.

I agree that being a fan can make all the difference, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:34:59 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: