http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Impressions Thread  (Read 5502 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2006, 03:50:59 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I got to play 10 minutes of single player.

I've got one thing to say :

Spoiler for Hiden:

Hooray! They included the ability to fucking LEAN!!!

I like the left trigger aiming ... it goes all virtua cop on you as you can now fire at multiple targets without "moving" per se. Also the hide feature is well implemented.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Don't you find it annoying when people use the spoiler tag for no damn reason!!

I find it very odd that in multiplayer it appears that they took out the ability to truly take cover and fire from cover.. ie... back against a wall, firing around the corner...
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »

I got in a little time trying out the co-op stuff with a friend and we had a blast.  I didn't get your invite until we had to quit.  But please put me on your lists as I'm already loving this one.

Tag=Jancelot
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2006, 04:03:41 PM »

Hey Jance!  I was wondering why you didn't respond.  When I saw you online playing, I thought for sure you would be one of the first ones to respond to my invite spam campaign!  Look forward to seeing you with us soon!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2006, 04:13:56 PM »

This game rocks. I enjoyed what little multiplayer I played last night with you guys. Hopefully the network issues get worked on or patched or whatever.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My impression?   Oh my God...wow.  I'm gonna enjoy this game.

That said, my team did something completely retarded and grenaded the side of the wall we were all huddled against instead of firing on the vehicles below us.  Idiots...

I know exactly where that happened, as it happened to me too.

LiveTAG: happydog
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2006, 05:14:35 PM »

Oh my god, it was a blast last night. That was the most fun I ever had on live.

edit: too many 'hads"

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 06:07:40 PM »

I got one invite, got booted, sent a message to someone saying I got booted and to invite me again, and no one ever did. I was a little miffed to be honest! I played a ton of random multiplayer however, and I can say without a doubt that it has been my favorite live experience so far, eclipsing Halo 1/2.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2006, 06:08:07 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I find it very odd that in multiplayer it appears that they took out the ability to truly take cover and fire from cover.. ie... back against a wall, firing around the corner...

Now that's weird. Only thing I can think of is that it caused sync issues when they tested it or something. As in there was no way for the other players to see what you're doing.

Oh, and as I told my brother - this is the first game on the 360 that I can point to and say 'THIS is next generation', and truly mean it.

This is just...amazing. There's no other way to put it. Now to play co-op tonight. smile

Sorry about the skipped invite last night, whoever invited me into a game. I wanted to soak up the single player for a bit before jumping online. That, and I gotta remember that I can't take a dozen hits before I die.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2006, 06:15:18 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I got one invite, got booted, sent a message to someone saying I got booted and to invite me again, and no one ever did. I was a little miffed to be honest! I played a ton of random multiplayer however, and I can say without a doubt that it has been my favorite live experience so far, eclipsing Halo 1/2.

I'm pretty sure you were getting kicked *on purpose*. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Arkon"

Now that's weird. Only thing I can think of is that it caused sync issues when they tested it or something. As in there was no way for the other players to see what you're doing.

Oh, and as I told my brother - this is the first game on the 360 that I can point to and say 'THIS is next generation', and truly mean it.

This is just...amazing. There's no other way to put it. Now to play co-op tonight. smile

Sorry about the skipped invite last night, whoever invited me into a game. I wanted to soak up the single player for a bit before jumping online. That, and I gotta remember that I can't take a dozen hits before I die.

The controls are actually substantially different in multiplayer. Its more actiony than the suprisingly slower/tactical SP game, but I also think the change in controls makes for a better multiplayer game.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 06:32:15 PM »

found a copy (actual a dozen copies) at Target - I may not be able to get on tonight, but I'm in for thsi weekend!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to ďholy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?Ē
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »

Calvin, we were having a bunch of issues with people getting dropped at the time when you came in.  I could have sworn I sent you an invite when it dropped you.  And actually on our screen you were in for one full game.

I am guessing it was Sparhawk that you sent the message to as I think he was hosting at that point.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »

Watch your backs.

I'm IN!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »

Actually, about the time Sparhawk started systematically taking down his own teammates is about the time things went south.

Any connection?  You be the judge...

I may suck, but at least I shoot the bad guys!!!!

Tongue   Tongue    Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Watch your backs.

I'm IN!!!

So am I.  I got the last copy at Best Buy (unless they were displaying it somewhere else, but the guy at the register said they had been selling alot of them today so it wouldn't surprise me if it was the last one.)  I'll be on looking for a good time tonight!  :wink:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2006, 09:49:25 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Actually, about the time Sparhawk started systematically taking down his own teammates is about the time things went south.

Any connection?  You be the judge...

I may suck, but at least I shoot the bad guys!!!!

Tongue   Tongue    Tongue

:lol: Well, I apologized promptly! So that has to be worth SOMETHING.

"Sorry about that whole killing you thing. Here have a cookie. It's made with tears of guilt."

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2006, 04:52:30 AM »

When I kept dropping last night I would just select Sparhawk or Lockdown on my friends list and use the "join session in progress" option on the Xbox guide. Had to wait in the lobby while they finished the game but that at least got me back to the lobby.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2006, 05:10:51 AM »

Quote from: "BuckeyeShane"
Quote from: "Thin_J"
Today (Thursday) will be day five of my almost constant search of the local retail establishments for an Xbox360.

I'll be truly angry if i do finally find one and it's a core system.

Ugh.

Just to let you know circuit city has cores available online  smile

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=136791&SESSIONLINK&cm_re=Video%20Game%20Microsite-_-navigation-_-Xbox%20360

They sure do. In packages with three games I either have no interest in playing or have already played on my PC.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2006, 05:27:07 AM »

Tried to play again tonight with people on my Friends List and got dropped.  I never have any problems playing online with others in other games and it seems to be just this one.  Pisses me off because I have been really looking forward to this game for the multi.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2006, 06:44:32 AM »

I got one invite, got booted, sent a message to someone saying I got booted and to invite me again, and no one ever did. I was a little miffed to be honest!

I'm pretty I was the one who sent you the invite, but I don't ever remember seeing you join (or get kicked) - and I don't show any messages either.... weird...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:47 AM »

Sadly, I couldn't find any way to get third person view while playing split screen, although I can understand why they don't allow it.

Trying to play co-op territories with infinite enemies, one location, and only two players is suicide.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 09:45:49 AM »

Now that I've played the single player more, I'd have to say that while not perfect, I'd rate it a solid 8.9.  It's not the killer app for the 360 to me, but it is a very entertaining game nonetheless.  I think it's more amazing just because it's the first real next gen game and for its many multiplayer modes.

I have also encountered odd little bugs, not showstoppers but painful nonetheless.

In one case, I'm tasked with using a newly acquired rocket launcher to blow up some vehicles whilst on top of a parking structure.  Because of the way the rockets aim, I was hitting the railing that was in front of me almost half the time and blowing myself up in the process.

The night vision sucks, too blurry and washed out to be useful for anything except detecting enemies, it's difficult to even navigate by them at night.

Friendly AI is just crap.  I'd have liked to be able to split the group into two man teams to better flank enemies or simply cover more zones.  I also had a situation where one of the soldiers got on the other side of the map alone for some odd reason while he was supposed to be following me.

Also, all those exploding cars are just plain annoying.  Sure, it's a cinematic game, but having all these cars be bombs on wheels drastically reduces their effectiveness as cover.

Where is the option to adjust the contoller's sensivity?  I couldn't find it anywhere.  The sensivity for me is almost right, I just need to turn it up one or two notches.  The controls also seemed a little sluggish, just like PDZ, I'm not sure why, but it may have to do with framerate.

A lot of these problems go away for me in multiplayer.  My friend and I had a blast earlier today playing co-op before I left for class.  I'd like to see how online play is, but I'm waiting for tomorrow's game night to use the 48 hour gold live trial that comes with it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2006, 01:00:14 PM »

Before the gang hooked up for co-op last night, Arkon, myself, my nephew, and Yellowking tried some 2 vs. 2 just for shits and giggles.

We had the settings sort of borked, but the overall feel of the versus game is MUCH different than co-op.  The game is slower paced and you tend to be much more careful about dying.  If I could improve one thing, it would be to decrease the distances you can pick people off with non-sniper-type weapons.  Ever since playing the original Vietcong on the PC, I like the more inaccurate weapon model that greatly encourages positioning, stance, and aiming.  I'm not saying GRAW is bad, just a bit too accurate for my liking.  The versus game mode itself is alot of fun though.  I could see some fantastic 4 vs. 4 matches in our future without a doubt.  It appears that once the game starts, you only have voice capability with your team (which of course makes sense).  You can use your drone (assuming of course you can figure out how, I'm so lame) to help find your opponents on big maps.  I tried shooting down Arkon's drone a few times, and didn't seem to even scratch it, so I'm not sure how that works exactly though.  I'm still more of a co-op person, but this may be the first versus mode I would ever actually enjoy playing, it's got that much potential I think.

My impression of split screen on one television when playing on Live is very positive.  It splits the screen down the middle vertically, so my nephew was on the left, and me the right.  It worked great.  It does force you into first person, like Turtle mentioned, which is great for me as I like to play that way, but not so good if you like the over-the-shoulder view.

There are still lots of mode variations we have yet to try out.  The multiplayer for this game is definately where it's legs are at.  And I'm down to dying and respawning an average of about 1-2 times per map, so I am learning to be a bit more careful, which is good.

Special props to whoever it was that just opened the box and popped that sucker in and joined us last night.  He had no clue what he was doing, but picked it up extremely quick.  What's that saying, "trial by fire" ?  Way to go!  (not sure if that was Tru1cy or Happy or who)

I know I go to bed early, but there are still some usual suspects I haven't seen yet.  Devil, Badgun, ThinJ, Starshifter, disarm, denoginizer, etc...  Can't wait to see you guys join in.

Edited for clarity and spelling problems

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

No invites for poor Devil last night.  :cry:

I was in from about 8:30 to almost 10:00!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »

No invites for poor Devil last night.  :cry:

*cough*

I sent you an Invite the minute I saw you come online!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2006, 01:33:22 PM »

When I went to respond I got "No Longer Available"

What's up with that?

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2006, 01:35:49 PM »

Devil did you try the "Join a friend session" ?  Thats what I did and it worked like a charm, but they muct be in the lobby for it to work

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

When I went to respond I got "No Longer Available"

What's up with that?

I know we had games running up until about 5 minutes to 9 (EST).  Not sure what happened there Devil.  Fear not I will get you into a game, and soon... for I am the GR:AW ninja inviter!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

Yep - Tried to join and then got the message that the session wasn't available any longer.

Maybe I just got booted or something.

Oh, I'll get in there eventually!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »

As far as the single player game goes, it's entertaining but I'm not bowled over.  I've just completed the first night mission and I really hope they introduce a bit of variety soon- so far it's been pretty much having myself or my team go to the nearest corner, scout, and dispatch enemies over and over again.  And I find being unable to split the Ghosts up feels very limiting tactically.  If you're going to give me three guys with different specialites, let me use them individually instead of as one unit.

Fun game, and nice to look at, but it's not quite as good as I was hoping.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

After playing Full Spectrum Warrior (and for the most part loving it) - I find manipulating/controlling your squad in GRAW frustrating also.  Up until this point though, I just assumed it was my fault.  Maybe the game does have a legitimate weakness here.

I think Yellowking is pretty far along in the single player campaign, so he might be able to enlighten us more on what the later levels are like.  I'm not sure how often he comes over to GT to post though.

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
As far as the single player game goes, it's entertaining but I'm not bowled over.  I've just completed the first night mission and I really hope they introduce a bit of variety soon- so far it's been pretty much having myself or my team go to the nearest corner, scout, and dispatch enemies over and over again.  And I find being unable to split the Ghosts up feels very limiting tactically.  If you're going to give me three guys with different specialites, let me use them individually instead of as one unit.

Fun game, and nice to look at, but it's not quite as good as I was hoping.

For me this game is all about the multiplayer.  I will eventually get through the single player, but it isn't my focus.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »

I played a little over 2 hours of single player last night (my first impression of the game), and I agree wholeheartedly that GRAW is the first big platform seller for the 360.  My wife thought I was watching a CGI rendered movie, and was floored to see that I was actually playing in that environment.  I thought the Call of Duty titles were immersive, but wow, GRAW takes immersive to a new level.  My overall single player experience was positive, despite some early concerns with the friendly AI.

Iím not going to pass judgment this early on the friendly squad AI in the single player game, but Iím initially under whelmed by both the capability of the AI and the limitations in squad control.  I canít split my squad or assign individual sectors of fire.  I canít assign movement waypoints via the tactical map (or at least I donít know how to do this).  My squad doesnít seem to want to engage hostiles they canít see or move to immediately, so ordering direct attacks from the tactical map doesnít always work.  Iím surprised by not having the option to split the fire team for setting up flanking attacks.  When itís 4 against many, having an intuitive and efficient means for setting up flanking and rear attacks would be very helpful.  Instead, I had to use my 3 AI ghosts to setup a frontal base of fire, and maneuver myself around the flanks and rear.  I tried manually moving my squad via the tactical map to setup a base of fire position.  I found it was easier and faster to have them follow me to a base of fire position, and move back around to flank on my own.  

The actual AI of the squad is ok in that they will use cover mostly, and will engage hostiles in a somewhat intelligent manner.  However, they still seem to suffer from rainbow six idiocy at times.  The two aggression settings sound great in theory, but theyíre both so extreme in execution that I wish there was a middle setting that incorporated characteristics from both (the cautious use of cover and movement from the recon stance, and the engage on sight order from the aggressive or direct stance).  I watched hostiles run right up to my team stacked against a wall, and proceed to mow them down quickly because they were in recon mode and wouldnít fire until fired upon or given the order.  Thatís stupid, literal AI in action, and doesnít translate well into the game (and certainly not RL).  When in doubt, take them out!  Donít wait until they literally start filling you with rounds.  

While the friendly AI will use cover, in my 2 hours last night, they made a lot of fatal mistakes positioning themselves in relation to hostiles.  I watched in horror several times as my squad would proceed to the wall I designated, 2 of the them would press against the wall, and the third ghost would pick a spot off the wall exposed to a group of hostiles.  

Thereís no order outside of the contextual order system to call for grenade use, obscuration support via smoke canisters, or anything more complicated than just move here or attack this target.  The contextual order system is ok, but really limits how creative I can get with my squad.  Why canít I have my grenadier pop some smoke and ready frag grenades, position my machine gunner in a base of fire position, and then order my rifleman to follow me around to move into a flank position, and then issue a ďgo orderĒ?

Donít get me wrong, the game is great, but I can see already that the real fun is going to be MP.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »

Sounds like I am alone in being happy with the squad sticking together. I'm sure there would be great advantages to being able to give individual squad members orders, but I find that to be too distracting (Brothers in Arms comes to mind). I want to spend most of my time as part of the action, not telling each squad member what to do because their AI sucks.

Multiplayer rocks though, that is for sure.

LiveTAG: happydog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »

Donít get me wrong, the game is great, but I can see already that the real fun is going to be MP.

Reviews for this game add further fuel to my suspicion that reviewers grade games on multi-player content only. The single-player content can be completely broken (Battlefield 1942) but none of the problems will affect the final score.

I am enjoying the single-player mode quite a bit. When everything comes together, it really works. Yesterday when I was at the end of the first mission I was pinned down behind some barrels and called in the Blackhawk to provide air support. It destroyed a vehicle near several opponents and I used the smoke from the explosion to flank the remaning targets and take them down. It was a completely exhilarating experience.

Still, the AI, as you mentioned, is just horrible. I used the tactical map to try and move my squad to a flanking position and I felt like I was playing BG2 again, as each squad member took a different route to get to the waypoint, and one only team member actually got there. The other two got stuck at walls.

The other glaring flaw in this game is the story. I realize that in a game like this the story is just an excuse to blow shit up, but I wish they had tried just a tad harder. I mean, why are the leaders of all three nations attending a conference in a city where paramilitary forces are (apparently) operating in the open? Why aren't there any civillians?
It wouldn't be that hard to tighten up the story to explain away some of this stuff.

As a single-player gamer without Live, I'm finiding the game enjoyable enough, but some of these flaws have really dampened by enthusiasm for what would otherwise be a great game.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
As a single-player gamer without Live, I'm finiding the game enjoyable enough, but some of these flaws have really dampened by enthusiasm for what would otherwise be a great game.

I won't get spoilerific, but there's a last stand element to one of the early missions where my 3 AI squadmates went into full idiot mode.  I assigned them to a barricade structure behind cover on the left flank to ideally cover from about 9-1 o'clock, and I would cover from 12-3 on their right.  Without fail, the three of them kept allowing themselves to get rolled up from the left by 1 or 2 enemy AI, who in turn would walk down the line and kill me.  So, I decided to put my three idiots on the right flank behind cover, where there were fewer enemies.  I switched to the squad machine gun as my weapon, and covered the left flank from 9-1.  As I'm fighting off enemies to the left and direct front, I start hearing my team members going down.  My first reaction was "WTF are those idiots doing!?!"  I look to the right and see 3 hostiles camped about 3 feet in front of their barricade.  When my 3 ghost idiots would pop up to shoot, the 3 hostiles would unload on them.  I restarted.  I finally just stuck all 3 of them in the rear, sandwiched between 2 cement walls, while I took the entire attacking army of hostiles.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »

Yep, I think they really should have taken a hint from Brothers in Arms and Full Spectrum Warrior a bit.  At least allowing a player to split up his team, but not actually requiring it.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2006, 10:58:52 PM »

After playing s'more I too agree that the biggest weakness of the SP is the squad control and AI.  Can actually be more of a burden than a help.  I hope after beating the SP you can play through as a Lonewolf.  I think I would prefer that.   I would have to take a full point off the review score just for the squad stuff in single.  

I have not played any multi and am not sure when I will do so.  I typically never play multi with strangers and my only gaming friend has yet to get a 360.  So, no judgment there.

I do love the cinematic quality, sound, and just cool realism of it all.  Nice nice nice.  To be honest though, I can see me trading it off someday just like I did all the other Ghost games, but not any time real soon.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2006, 08:38:05 AM »

My further impressions after trying a 4 player split screen co-op.  Don't bother.  The system can't handle it so the FPS drops and controls become very sluggish.  The four screens, even on a large HDTV are okay, but the crosshair becomes hard to see.  Two player split screen co-op is just fine though.

I've also reached a the first mission where I have to go alone at night, and I can't get past this one part.  It doesn't help that the cross comm is buggered in the mission and I have no other support assets.  Not to mention my current save I'm at red health.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I've also reached a the first mission where I have to go alone at night, and I can't get past this one part.  It doesn't help that the cross comm is buggered in the mission and I have no other support assets.  Not to mention my current save I'm at red health.

There are jammer units by your targets in that one.  They can be hard to see through the interference though.  I found switching between using the night vision and having it off to be useful... it was much easier for me to track muzzle flashes without the night vision.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: