http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 07:34:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Impressions Thread  (Read 5506 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:35:41 PM »

Impressions here please, the other threads are cluttered or for MP planning.

My early impressions after 1 hour of multiplayer:

1. THIS is what next gen looks like!! Holy shit!
2. Damn, does this game play well. People think its going to be all actiony and not like GR on the PC-well, this reminds me a ton of GR on the PC.
3. The controls are smooth, and responsive yet unwieldy-exactly how you would expect a heavily armed and armored soldier to react.
4. The weapons are very cool so far, and feel excellent.
5. The multiplayer lobby is not that good, in fact it does a few things that I think are absolutely stupid, and it takes too long to find games-however, lag has been excellent in every game I have found and setting up matches is a breeze.

More to come later, I have to go do some errands.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:02:38 PM »

just got mine but have to wait till I get home from work to play it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »

Any framerate dips?  Does it feel more tactical or actiony?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Any framerate dips? Does it feel more tactical or actiony?

After a few missions in the singleplayer I can honestly say neither.  :lol:

So far I think they've hit a very nice balance of the two. The firefights can be pretty intense and you do a good amount of shooting, but you need to be on top of your squad plus any other assets you have.  Boy, some of the assets are very helpful too....can you say Blackhawk with Miniguns?

Framerate has been rock solid.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:11:56 PM »

Cross-post from OO:

Yes, we're bucking the trend with impressions in the first post!

After playing a couple of missions of the campaign mode, my thoughts can be summed up as such: Killer app.

The training portion is lackluster, but lasts about five minutes, if that. After that, it's like you're thrust into the beginning of a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. The control is tight, though I'm still reacquainting myself with gamepad aiming; however, it's clear at this point that I'm the weak link, not the controls. Everything is easy to access, though on a non-HD TV, I had to squint a little to make out a few of the controls in the training. If you don't have a sharp TV, keep the manual handy just for quick reference. However, I don't need to stop and think what's what during a firefight. Team controls are well-done despite only having three actual command buttons, which for your team correspond to move/engage, retreat/regroup, and engagement mode (attack vs. defense).

The plot is very Tom Clancy, but so far seems to err on the realistic side of outrageous. It's fast-paced, and even in the first couple of missions keeps the plot points coming, though it's never overwhelming and you don't quite feel railroaded.

The visuals are spectacular, even on standard... I'm drooling to see this on an HDTV now, it must be truly spectacular. No pop-in, no visual glitches that I've seen so far, and every scene is realistic and well-done. Character models are amazing, and they managed to avoid the plasticy look of Riddick/PDZ while still doing great lighting. I think the 360 GPU is finally to the point where a really spectacular scene can be created without relying too much on visual tricks that fall apart on close inspection. Lighting has been top-notch on every scene; sunrise and daytime create different, distinct effects, and I'm about to start my first night mission. Movement is smooth, and there's nary a hitch in framerate, even with a cutscene in the top right Cross-Com window, your team's viewpoint in the top left, your own character/screen moving around, and a firefight going on. The lack of a visible 'loading' screen (there are fade-ins and fade-outs, which take all of 3 seconds) means you're essentially never pulled out of the immersion.

Audio is great, though my TV doesn't have great speakers. Positional audio is quite apparent and well-done, and I'm sure if you have a 5.1 system, you'll get way more out of this section than I am. Music is appropriate most of the times, from rock songs playing while you're in a helicopter orbiting the city, to an amazing Jerry Bruckheimer-esque orchestral moment while your soldiers are making a desperate stand.

Gameplay seems top-notch. It's much, much more cinematic than the only other GR game I've played, the PC original, but despite concessions made for console, it seems like they kept the intent of it intact. I've been gunned down quickly while not watching myself, and the game is not shy about killing you if you mess up (though I have yet to run into an arbitrary-feeling death), and if you're fast and quick on the trigger, you can survive most desperate situations. Save points are maybe a tiny bit too far apart for my liking, though I've really only had a problem with one section, and that was my own fault for getting my entire squad killed before that section started, and I have yet to get frustrated.

I'm hoping to try the multiplayer action out a bit tonight, the co-op looks like a lot of fun. I took a quick look at the Instant Action screen, but didn't see any options for bots or AI teammates in those modes. We'll see how that shakes out.

To wrap up: This is the most complete feeling next-gen game I've played. FN Round 3 is great for what it is, and has an edge in ultra-detailed player models, but GR:AW creates whole scenarios that feel like they wouldn't have been possible on an older console, in both scope and complexity. I guarantee you PD:Z gets traded in next time I want to buy a game, because right now, there's absolutely no way I can see going back to playing that, even to finish up the SP campaign, and I suspect even the MP will pale in comparison. GR:AW is the complete next-gen package, and hopefully will be the killer app for about two weeks until Oblivion launches (although I can see GR:AW holding the MP crown for a long, long time).

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:37:06 PM »

Good impressions CW.

I'm the weak link, not the controls.

:lol:

I know how you feel! I've been taking extra time during some of the slower spots to practice switching weapons, fire rates, grenades, controlling my men, using my assets, and I'm becoming much better with the controls....until it gets hot again and I go back to freaking out.  Tongue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:42:08 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"
Good impressions CW.

I'm the weak link, not the controls.

HERROOO!! I'm with you.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 11:42:46 PM »

One piece of advice I can give: use the left trigger.  Being a naturally mouse-inclined gamer, I initially dropped to the scope at every opportunity (click down right thumbstick).  While this is great for taking out snipers or specific targets at long range, in most firefights, you're only going to want to zoom in with the left trigger, both to keep situational awareness and to suppress/eliminate mutliple targets quickly.  The scope is just too slow to engage multiple hostiles, which is great for precision, not great for medium-range survivability.

Also, don't discount those smoke grenades!  While you're never in a gimmick puzzle like FSW, smoke grenades can help you maneuver unseen for a better shot.  When you have both short/medium and long range hostiles engaging, tossing one behind the closer group to confine things to one firefight does wonders.

Also, don't underestimate the effectiveness of forcing your men to attack specific targets.  While I found the teammate AI to be a little lacking at first, when I started using the up arrow to force them to attack targets during firefights, they smartened up much more and were far more effective.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:13:09 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Any framerate dips?  Does it feel more tactical or actiony?

Very tactical so far, but it does have a good amount of action.  If you go in guns blazing you are going to get your ass handed to you for the most part.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:17:39 AM »

My first impressions are that now I remember why I play First Person Shooters on the PC.  I would agree that I think all the controls are probably in place to do what needs to be done.  In my case, it's remembering what those controls are before I die, which at this point is seldom.  :?

The game also looks really, really good on my Sony HD LCD tv.  No stutter whatsoever.  

My biggest complaint so far is that those green triangle direction arrows that are supposed to tell you where to go confuse me ten times more than help me.  I can seriously say I bet I get lost more than probably any other 4 people combined.  If it weren't for the tactical map, I would still be lost on the tutorial map!   :wink:

I would also agree with the half action/half tactical point of view on the gameplay.  You have to play it to understand what that means, but it is true so far.  Oh, and throwing grenades is easy.  I'm actually pretty good at that!

The game has serious potential though, I'll give it that.  If I am going to commit to playing on the 360, I need one hell of a lot of practice.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »

If I recall correctly, the green triangles are friendlies, the yellow ones are objectives, and the red ones are hostiles.  You shouldn't have more than one yellow at a time (at least I haven't yet), so just aim for the yellow arrow and keep your head down.  smile

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 12:26:56 AM »

You're serious?  Holy cow, what a moron I am.  That would explain why I was always running in circles!  That is so sad it's funny.  Thanks for the "tip"!

Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:22:09 AM »

You're serious? Holy cow, what a moron I am.

Like it came from my own keyboard.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 01:41:44 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
You're serious? Holy cow, what a moron I am.

Like it came from my own keyboard.

biggrin

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I just love it when a Lockdown post is followed immediately by a Devil Post - and vice versa!  :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 01:54:18 AM »

Agree with everything said.  This game is the perfect mix of tactical and action.  Take everything you wish Full Spectrum Warrior had been with the squad control and throw in the best of the action from the previous Ghost games and multiply it by a factor of 10 for the story, the graphics, and the incredibly nail-biting tension and you have this game.  I really like it.  Next gen all the way in my book.  

My only complaint, and it is very minor, is that as you fly over the city you see nothing by way of people or traffic or any signs of life.  Mexico City, being one of the largest in the world, would be teeming with life no matter the turmoil taking place.  Just a minor quibble though.  

If you remotely liked FSW and the previous Ghost games, this game is a must imo.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 03:27:52 AM »

I can give some brief multiplayer impressions, since we played a bunch of games tonight, then as it got later and later, and we added more and more players, and the servers probably got busier and busier, I just couldn't stay connected for more than 10 seconds, so I am here...

But, DESPITE that... multiplayer co-op is incredibly fun!  I must have played 10 games or so with Arkon, Damage, Sparhawk, and Countach, all without even a hint of lag, slowdown, loading issues, anything.  It was picture perfect (while it lasted).  

Then I had to take a break for about an hour to play some College Hoops.  When I came back, the whole world must have logged in.  Scoop, Yellowking, Motodd, and I don't even remember who else were also in the game.  I just couldn't stay connected for some reason.  

But as far as gameplay in multiplayer co-op goes... without a doubt the most striking thing for me were the maps.  Every single map Arkon picked was fantastic.  We played Elimination, so you spent alot of time just trying to keep your head above water as the tangos rushed in.  How was the A.I. you ask?  A mixed bag really, but overall, I thought it was very acceptable.  They would flank, hunt in teams, take cover, advance, go prone when under heavy fire, use grenades wisely (I should know, as Damage and I got made into swiss cheese quite often by them).  Now, don't expect advanced human-like tactics that will blow you away.  They will sometimes just walk in standing up for little Johnny to hit them with his slingshot, but trust me they could be ALOT worse then they are.  Without question, they are better on certain maps than others, and you will just have to experiment to figure it out.

As far as voice communication, speed of setup, smooth framerates, blistering action, and just plain old fun - the game delivers big time in co-op mode.  And there is ALOT of stuff we (I) didn't even try yet.  Next time I play, I would like to try some more "slower paced" stuff, if it exists.  Most of the elimination maps are down and dirty action, which is great.  But a change of pace would be fun to try also.  The different kits are fantastic, and do play different from one another.  Within each kit (say Rifleman for example), you have many, many choices of setup, so you could easily have a team of 10 guys, 6 of them riflemen, and they could all have different setups.  We spent alot of the night just trying out different classes and kits to check them out.

Creating games and inviting people to join is a total breeze.  Simple as can be really.  If you are logged in, and there is a co-op game going on, expect an invite!  It is so simple to do, we were just sending out invites to anyone we saw on our friends list.  Once you are in the lobby, you can invite anyone.  And anyone can invite, not just the host.

Overall, this game is alot of fun multiplayer.  My only concern is how fast everything plays.  But again, that could be simply do to our setup options we did.  There is alot yet to explore.

We noticed some possible glitches in the game too, but if memory serves, nothing even remotely game-breaking.  Unless of course you count the disconnects as the night wore on and we were up around 8 to 12 people in a game at once.

Come join us!

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 05:10:43 AM »

My impression?   Oh my God...wow.  I'm gonna enjoy this game.

That said, my team did something completely retarded and grenaded the side of the wall we were all huddled against instead of firing on the vehicles below us.  Idiots...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 05:51:04 AM »

Lockdown, I find the arrows distracting, too.  There are moments after you reach an objective when no yellow arrow appears, so you don't know where to go, and you're staring at a dozen green arrows, spinning around, trying to figure out where to go.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 05:52:20 AM »

I've blown my whole team up with a grenade once.  once.

So far only played co-op split-screen.  The first co-op campaign map is pretty fun.  We finally beat it after a number of tries.  I think I've been playing way too many games where you can take multiple hits before dying.  My cover reflex really needs some work.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 06:24:47 AM »

I don`t like you 360 owners right now... :wink:  I HOPEFULLY will get one soon enough!!! :twisted:
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 06:45:46 AM »

I must have told myself that Oblivion is coming out a dozen times tonight, just to keep myself from prematurely locking in my GOTY candidate (in March, no less!).  Jumped into the multiplayer tonight, and played mostly the Defense mode.  Exhilarating stuff, especially when we started to figure out the one map we were playing and manage to start pushing back the enemy to the spawn point.  Just the sight of six Ghosts blasting away with LMGs at a single staircaseas enemies rushed down it was amazing.  Hopefully I'll get into some of the more varied modes tomorrow and over the weekend.

It's not quite perfect; there's the disconnects, which hit me when I tried to join the big OO/GT game going on.  There's also the one spawn point on Defense mode, which let us mass enough firepower to push them back, even on inifinite respawns; hopefully a patch could add multiple/random respawn points, or maybe different maps have them.  A couple hours into the multiplayer, I barely feel like I've scratched the surface, and I have yet to find anything even remotely disappointing.

Seriously, I'm in for any map packs they release on the Marketplace unless they're ridiculously priced.  But I could easily see myself spending $15-$20 to double the number of maps, and this is before even trying the co-op campaign mode.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 06:55:07 AM »

Clanwolfer, they've already confirmed that the rest of the co-op campaign is being worked on.  Not sure if it'll be free, I suspect maybe one co-op pack will be free and the rest pay.  But if it lives up to all the talk here, then I'd gladly pay for more co-op maps.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 07:44:48 AM »

Wow, this game is amazing!  I echo pretty much everything that has already been said about the game.  This is the first 360 killer app and I see it as a system mover (that is, whenever systems become available).  The graphics are stunning!  I think I might have accidently chosen the hard difficulty because this game is kicking my ass!

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 09:05:47 AM »

Today (Thursday) will be day five of my almost constant search of the local retail establishments for an Xbox360.

I'll be truly angry if i do finally find one and it's a core system.

Ugh.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »

i can't offer much more than what has already been said other than to agree that this really is an amazing game.  i haven't tried co-op yet, and i'm only a couple missions into SP, but everything so far is incredibly impressive...graphics, sound, action, tactical options...it's all there and presented on a level beyond anything i've played before.  easily the most impressive game i've played on my 360 so far Cool

as for joining the co-op fun, i'll be up for some once i get the hang of things a little more.  this is my first GR experience, so i'd like to get some experience in SP first  :wink:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »

Haven't tried the single player yet, but was able to play to online with several GTers.

It was a blast!!!

The only issue was when we starting getting disco'd after about 3 hours of playing. Don't know if it was Xbox Live, or the Internet, or something else, but it was a great time up till then.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Today (Thursday) will be day five of my almost constant search of the local retail establishments for an Xbox360.

Ugh.

I saw four Core systems at Target yesterday morning (they also had a couple hard drives for sale as well). Exactly 1 hour later, the systems are hard drives were gone.

The demand for this system now (especially with GRAW and Oblivion out soon) is huge. Gamestop/EB are now taking reserves (guaranteed) for April 1st. They claim MS will be "re-launching" the system in April with a huge new shipment and all the new March games being available.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 12:58:56 PM »

I honestly can't remember the last time I had so much addictive fun playing a game.  The multiplayer last night was great.  We had quite a lot of people and spent most of the time playing elimination.  Part of the fast pace people experienced I think can be tied to the settings I used.  For example, we were trying to get the hang of things.  So I set respawns for us players to be infinite.  On the territory maps, we only had one base to defend.  The last map we played was a campaign coop, and I think we had custom game settings to allow infinite respawns on it as well, so I think most of us were a bit more rambo than usual.  I barely played any singleplayer, but found multiplayer to be a great way to learn the controls and general feel of the game.  Here's to hoping they get the network issues ironed out... I would love to get a 16 player coop territory going with multiple bases to defend.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Ugh.

Just to let you know circuit city has cores available online  smile

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=136791&SESSIONLINK&cm_re=Video%20Game%20Microsite-_-navigation-_-Xbox%20360
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »

I couldnt get my hands on a copy yesterday... I was told everywhere I had to pre-order...

Thugs, I am tired of pre-ordering EVERYTHING..

How long before I preorder UNDERWEAR.....

BAD, BAD, TREND

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 02:03:06 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Here's to hoping they get the network issues ironed out... I would love to get a 16 player coop territory going with multiple bases to defend.

Three squads of 4 or 5 ghosts defending three different bases would just be downright insanely fun!  I couldn't agree more with wanting to eventually try this out.

And you made a good point about the infinite respawns.  I'd say, on average, each ghost playing last night would die 2-4 times per match before all enemies were eliminated.  Not too bad, but if we were more careful I bet we could have cut that down to 1-2 times.  Those grenades can REALLY catch you offguard sometimes though.

Also, on a positive note, it seems very beneficial to work in teams of 2 or 3, instead of going all lonewolf.  I can not tell you how many times I would run out of ammo having just downed an enemy, only to have that last tango I missed bearing down on me as I was reloading, and then seeing Arkon, Sparhawk, or Damage take him out before he sent me to my death.  Games that honestly reward teamwork are very refreshing.

Not to mention the communication and how clear and instant it is.  For example, I heard this alot last night, "Lockdown, coming up behind you on your right."  Which is the politically correct way of saying, "Hey dipshit, I am going to be coming into your field of vision, don't shoot my ass!"

OH.. and nightvision!  Forgot to mention this little doozey of a feature.  Let's just say, when you first try to use it, you may be a bit surprised how different it is.

LD

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I couldnt get my hands on a copy yesterday... I was told everywhere I had to pre-order...

BAD, BAD, TREND

While this sucks for you, most places only require $5 down.  I usually pre-order a week ahead of time and I always get a copy of the game.  If you  know you are going to get the game, just plop your $5 down and you don't have to worry about driving all around town trying to find a copy.  Seems worth it to cut down on the hassle.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Here's to hoping they get the network issues ironed out... I would love to get a 16 player coop territory going with multiple bases to defend.

Three squads of 4 or 5 ghosts defending three different bases would just be downright insanely fun!  I couldn't agree more with wanting to eventually try this out.

And you made a good point about the infinite respawns.  I'd say, on average, each ghost playing last night would die 2-4 times per match before all enemies were eliminated.  Not too bad, but if we were more careful I bet we could have cut that down to 1-2 times.  Those grenades can REALLY catch you offguard sometimes though.

Also, on a positive note, it seems very beneficial to work in teams of 2 or 3, instead of going all lonewolf.  I can not tell you how many times I would run out of ammo having just downed an enemy, only to have that last tango I missed bearing down on me as I was reloading, and then seeing Arkon, Sparhawk, or Damage take him out before he sent me to my death.  Games that honestly reward teamwork are very refreshing.

Not to mention the communication and how clear and instant it is.  For example, I heard this alot last night, "Lockdown, coming up behind you on your right."  Which is the politically correct way of saying, "Hey dipshit, I am going to be coming into your field of vision, don't shoot my ass!"

OH.. and nightvision!  Forgot to mention this little doozey of a feature.  Let's just say, when you first try to use it, you may be a bit surprised how different it is.

Well to be honest, Sparhawk did his fair share of putting a bullet into teammates as well last night.

biggrin

And yes the teamwork aspect is just a blast.  Working together is the way to go.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Quote from: "HankRaptor"

BAD, BAD, TREND

While this sucks for you, most places only require $5 down.  I usually pre-order a week ahead of time and I always get a copy of the game.  If you  know you are going to get the game, just plop your $5 down and you don't have to worry about driving all around town trying to find a copy.  Seems worth it to cut down on the hassle.

Yep, it's only $5 and it saves you a lot of headaches on release day. If you plan on getting Oblivion at launch, I suggest you preroder it now. If my Gamestop is any judge, it's going to be even bigger than Ghost Recon. They had 30 more preorders for Oblivion than GR:AW and it's still over a week away.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

The multilplayer last night was awesome had a really great time, it just stunk that we couldn't get more than 4-5 at a time.  If we set respawns to 1 or 2 that would really make us use teamwork alot more, but we do need the time to get used to it.  Being able to see what the other teammates was looking at is awesome it adds so much to the game.  

After multi I tried a little single player and I died like crazy.  I have a hard time finding out where to go and my teammates died easily as well.  It will definately take some time to get used to it.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
That said, my team did something completely retarded and grenaded the side of the wall we were all huddled against instead of firing on the vehicles below us.  Idiots...

I question their leadership.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »

I've never played a GR game (or any 'tactical-based' shooters for that matter), preferring run-and-gun of Half-Life 2, Halo, etc..  But after a few hours of GRAW, I'm beginning to see the appeal smile  Being able to call in a Blackhawk for support, then realize while watching the monitor in the upper left that it was following my orders - that was a very cool moment smile

I'm still trying to get a hang of the controls, but I think I'll be ready for a little multiplayer before long.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 03:29:58 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I've never played a GR game (or any 'tactical-based' shooters for that matter), preferring run-and-gun of Half-Life 2, Halo, etc..  But after a few hours of GRAW, I'm beginning to see the appeal smile  Being able to call in a Blackhawk for support, then realize while watching the monitor in the upper left that it was following my orders - that was a very cool moment smile

I'm still trying to get a hang of the controls, but I think I'll be ready for a little multiplayer before long.

Bah, we had quite a few people playing last night who had literally just opened the game and put it in the system when we Ninja invited them.

I think Hetz got around 75 invites or so between the group of us... watching a movie instead of joining in with his fellow ghosts.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »

Bah, we had quite a few people playing last night who had literally just opened the game and put it in the system when we Ninja invited them.

This man speaks the truth.  I had just inserted the game for the first time and was about to go to single player when he sniped me with an invite I could not refuse.  Of course, I started getting booted, so I ended up making it to single player for a bit before giving the multiplayer another shot after a later invite.  Was able to stay connected that time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »

I got to play 10 minutes of single player.

I've got one thing to say :

Spoiler for Hiden:

Hooray! They included the ability to fucking LEAN!!!

I like the left trigger aiming ... it goes all virtua cop on you as you can now fire at multiple targets without "moving" per se. Also the hide feature is well implemented.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: