http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 12:19:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GH3 Impressions/early sightings  (Read 1649 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »

No, I don't have it yet.  I checked the place that sold me GH2 early last year, and they seem to have gotten their acts together with release dates, so no dice.

Anyone got it? Where? What do you think of it?

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »

Is 10/28 the release date or the ship date?

- shaggy

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on October 23, 2007, 06:22:25 PM

Is 10/28 the release date or the ship date?

- shaggy

This is a title I expect to be pre-shipped and 10/28 is a street date. Nobody ships on Sunday.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

When GH2 came out alot of people got it early at Circuit City (myself included.)

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »

It's definitely arriving now.  Best Buy had a mountain of big shipping boxes marked Red Octane, so it's in back rooms.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 23, 2007, 06:50:09 PM

It's definitely arriving now.  Best Buy had a mountain of big shipping boxes marked Red Octane, so it's in back rooms.

Anyone check their local Sears yet or is this an isolated incident or a viral marketing ploy?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on October 25, 2007, 05:36:27 PM

Quote from: Chaz on October 23, 2007, 06:50:09 PM

Anyone check their local Sears yet or is this an isolated incident or a viral marketing ploy?

I just went to the Sears by work and they don't even carry video games.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »

My local Best Buy had a big sign out advertising a midnight opening for Guitar Hero III sales starting this Sunday morning (or, for the less technically minded, late Saturday night).

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »

I'm hoping we'll see reviews today.  I'm not as confident in this one because of the developer switch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 27, 2007, 04:47:12 PM

I'm hoping we'll see reviews today.  I'm not as confident in this one because of the developer switch.

Have you tried the demo on Xbox live yet?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 27, 2007, 09:34:28 PM

I did, but I'm curious to see how the changes made affect the overall experience.  Also, the demo doesn't give me an idea of what the long haul for the game will be like.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »

I tried the GH3 demo, first GH game I've ever tried, and honestly I don't see the attraction. Basically it's the button pushing dance I hated in GTA San Andreas, but with rock tunes. I can't be the only one who thinks this... or am I?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 12:26:45 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on October 28, 2007, 12:10:13 AM

I tried the GH3 demo, first GH game I've ever tried, and honestly I don't see the attraction. Basically it's the button pushing dance I hated in GTA San Andreas, but with rock tunes. I can't be the only one who thinks this... or am I?

Seeing as though this is the first GH game you've ever tried and playing with the guitar controller is really the only way to play the game, I'd say yes.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 12:52:18 AM »

so did you play with just the regular 360 gamepad?  if so, then your opinion really isn't valid, sorry to say
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 01:39:06 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 28, 2007, 12:52:18 AM

so did you play with just the regular 360 gamepad?  if so, then your opinion really isn't valid, sorry to say

I recognize that with the guitar it would be easier, that's not my point. My point is that, like the GTASA dance challenge, the game appears to consist of hitting buttons as specified by the scrolling graphics on the screen, with a few nuances like the whammy bar and tilting the guitar. That's it, as far as I can tell. Is there more to the gameplay than that?

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 01:49:24 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on October 28, 2007, 01:39:06 AM

I recognize that with the guitar it would be easier, that's not my point. My point is that, like the GTASA dance challenge, the game appears to consist of hitting buttons as specified by the scrolling graphics on the screen, with a few nuances like the whammy bar and tilting the guitar. That's it, as far as I can tell. Is there more to the gameplay than that?

Whatever the buttons match to on the controller.....Use only your thumb or 1 finger for the strum action....use 4 fingers on the other hand for all the frets.     Then see what it is.   Not necessarily easier.  It's more about how it feels to use the fake guitar.   We're all wannabees.

- shaggy 

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 01:50:13 AM »

No, with the guitar it is a completely different game.  With the guitar, you hold down fret buttons while strumming, which is considerably different.  Sometimes, interface is the game.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »

th'FOOL is dead on here: the guitar controller is an integral part of the Guitar Hero experience.  I know it sounds like a gimmick because I used to think the same thing, but once you try it for yourself, you'll understand how it really does *define* the game.

You could probably learn to play a lightgun game like Time Crisis or a physical game like Dance Dance Revolution using a regular controller, but it's really missing the whole point.

-Autistic Angel
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 03:53:14 AM »

You're right in that Guitar Hero is basically Dance Dance Revolution minus the exercise, with a much cooler controller and "better" music. But, that controller makes for a world of difference. I still think they charge too much for the controller (which has kept me from ever buying it.... for now) but it really is a super fun game. Of course I think DDR is pretty fun too (especially when mixed with liquor)!

I reckon plenty of GTers are heading towards their shops now to pick it up. Hope all of you have fun with it tonight! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »

HAHAH, are you seriously comparing this to a mini game in GTA? Wow. First off, the point of the game is to feel like you're playing a guitar. For people like me who don't want to learn to play the real thing, this is great. Second it's a shit ton more challenging than simply "hitting buttons on a screen". Good job of breaking any game down to it's most basic form. ANY GAME. I'd like to see you play BaTH on expert using a controller, let alone the guitar controller. I'm willingly to bet 100 bucks you can't do it. Hell, i'll go lower and say Carry on my wayward son on expert. I mean, surely it's going to be easy for you, right? Just hit buttons as they appear. Just let me know, cause I could use the 100 bucks.
A nuance of hitting a whammy and tilting a the guitar controller? Oh yeah, that sure does get in the way of playing the guitar immersion  Roll Eyes

Seriously, you haven't even played the game. The real game. I understand gh isn't for everyone, but seriously. Your comparisons are just uneducated and absurd, at best.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 06:45:10 AM »

jersoc, I don't think he was attacking how easy the game is, just the apparent simplicity of it's gameplay and similarity to other rhythm games. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 08:04:08 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 28, 2007, 06:45:10 AM

jersoc, I don't think he was attacking how easy the game is, just the apparent simplicity of it's gameplay and similarity to other rhythm games. 

True but he's way off base either way. The controller is the game really, this game and all the other versions would never have sold well if you had to use a normal controller.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 04:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2007, 03:31:08 AM

th'FOOL is dead on here: the guitar controller is an integral part of the Guitar Hero experience.  I know it sounds like a gimmick because I used to think the same thing, but once you try it for yourself, you'll understand how it really does *define* the game.

You could probably learn to play a lightgun game like Time Crisis or a physical game like Dance Dance Revolution using a regular controller, but it's really missing the whole point.

-Autistic Angel

Thanks to you and the several others for the explanations. I'll try to drop by my local Gamestop and see if they have a demo guitar hooked up and give it a try.

jersoc, whew, it's just a game dude. I'm trying to get educated and that's why I was asking questions. I never said it would be easy for me. Heck, the GTASA button dance was a killer for me, that's why I was trying to find out what else was involved.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »

Grabbed the 360 version last night and played a few songs.

The guitar might be better, but its also different. Not enough that you would think it would be a problem, but it was at first.

A few songs and you'll be back on track!

Other than that, I'll let some others chime in.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: