http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 05:43:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GG ESPN 2K5 Football League Created. We're full.  (Read 10826 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:31:03 AM »

Please post if you are still interested in joining the league.  

1. denoginizer (BigPunisherJT) - Bills
2. Ecologic - Titans
3. IAMTML - Pats
4. PrOner - Chiefs
5. joephis1 - Broncos
6. Devil - Eagles
7. Semaj - Jets ???
8. Tebunker - Bengals
9. Driver - Jags
10. Tiredchimp - Redskins
11. CaptainCaveman - Ravens

League Info later in the thread on page 2......

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »

1. denoginizer -Bills
2. IAMTML -Pats

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:52:36 PM »

EcoLogic - Titans

Wake up.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:54:37 PM »

pr0ner - Chiefs

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 04:06:02 PM »

joephis1--broncos

also I know semajicus is still in as some team he called the jets, but I'm sure he will pick a better team if they are available.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 05:02:58 PM »

Me and my non-existant pass defense will be there...

Eagles

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 05:32:08 PM »

Yeah I can dream with a team with a defence...   You know, that whole being able to wrap up a ball carrierand not watch them scamer for 30 more yards,.. twitch smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 12:07:05 AM »

I'll still be there, I think I'll stick with the Bengals, should be fun.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 04:40:19 AM »

Yes.  With the Jaguars.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

I'd like to be involved in the league.

Gamertag - Tiredchimp

I will take the Redskins

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 01:29:35 AM »

I'm still in,.. thinking i might be able to move up to a team that can tackle... lol

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 02:14:28 AM »

I'm in! I'd like to change to the Ravens, if possible. My brother Ralph-Wiggum originally had them, but I don't think he's going to be playing afterall...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 01:53:12 PM »

FYI

Okay, here's the latest. It has always been our intention to have the first roster update be "opening day accurate". The 7th was an honest human mistake, an off-by-one-week clerical error.

We are shooting for the 16th (during the 10am PST maintenance) as the release of the opening day roster. Between now and then we will also be modifying the servers so that any league created but not scheduled by then will use the new roster when the schedule is generated. That way you guys can start filling your leagues now and hit the ground running when the roster update comes out.

16th - online roster update for both Xbox and PS2

16th - offline roster update for PS2

23rd - offline roster update for Xbox (it must go through MS certification which takes about a week).

Can we plan on starting this season next week then?

Wake up.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 02:49:53 PM »

Sounds good to me!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 05:42:09 PM »

Awesome, let's get it started!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 10:24:24 PM »

No offense to Eco-Logic, but i really don't think it's fair to allow a modded Xbox into the league.  Does anyone agree or disagree?  It just doesn't seem cool.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 12:15:53 AM »

I don't know what advantages or disadvantages a modded xbox would give you mainly because I don't understand the whole modding deal, so I have no clue.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 01:50:05 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
No offense to Eco-Logic, but i really don't think it's fair to allow a modded Xbox into the league.  Does anyone agree or disagree?  It just doesn't seem cool.

I don't have a problem with it.  It's not like we are playing random people here.  I have no doubt that Eco will play straight up.  If no-one objects, I can set up the league on Friday morning.  I will be using my alternate gamertag of "bigpunisherjt"  You are only allowed 5 leagues per tag.  And my denoginizer account already has 5 joined.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 01:14:54 PM »

What the hell?

For one, You can't get on Xbox Live with the chip turned on.

For two, It in no way would give me any type of advantage even if I could play on Live with it turned on, but I can't so what does it matter?

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 01:15:59 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"

I don't have a problem with it.  It's not like we are playing random people here.  I have no doubt that Eco will play straight up.  If no-one objects, I can set up the league on Friday morning.  I will be using my alternate gamertag of "bigpunisherjt"  You are only allowed 5 leagues per tag.  And my denoginizer account already has 5 joined.

Of course I'll play straight up.  Thanks.

You may want to wait and set the league up the day the roster is actually released.  That way you don't risk having to do it more than once.

Wake up.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »

Don't forget, my gamer tag is pr0ner with a zero, not an O.

Don't you think we should find at least one more to make things even so players don't have bye weeks?

Mike

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 06:52:37 PM »

I don't know too much about mods either, I just worry about it being some sort of Action Replay.

Eco, like I said no offense.  I posed the question and am interested in the replies.  Or you could clue in the clueless on what the mod does for you.  

Have a good one.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 06:56:13 PM »

Mods don't give you any sort of advantage ala Action Replay.  I don't know why Eco did it, but mods are generally used for the more illegal of reasons, such as copying games to a hard drive so you need no disc, run any number of computer programs on it, etc.

I'm willing to bet there are a few people on this board that have a modded Xbox.  I personally don't though.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 07:25:15 PM »

I don't know too much about mods either, I just worry about it being some sort of Action Replay.

Eco, like I said no offense.  I posed the question and am interested in the replies.  Or you could clue in the clueless on what the mod does for you.  

Have a good one.

No problem Driver, I understand your concern, especially after playing CS for years.

A mod allowed me to upgrade my hard drive from 10 gigs, to 160 gigs.  Now I can play Divx, avi, wma, every type of video you can think of on my Xbox.  Also, it allows you to play emulators from Atari 2600, to Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Arcade, Turbo Grafix 16.  

Also, it does let me play Xbox games from the hard drive and make backups of Xbox games.  

Like I said though, the chip has a switch that must be turned off in order to play on Xbox Live, otherwise MS will ban the Xbox from Live.  

I've been looking forward to playing in the league and that is why I reacted as I did, sorry for that.

I hope everything is clear now? smile

Wake up.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 07:41:48 PM »

Cool by me.  Thanks for the info.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2004, 07:08:51 PM »

So do we as the players need to do anything in terms of responding to a league invite message?

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 08:54:28 PM »

You should receive an invite once the league is created.  Then you'll need to join the league from within ESPN 2K5, iirc.

Wake up.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2004, 10:34:53 PM »

An invite does not get sent out unless you replace an owner after the league has already started.  You have to search available leagues from the XBL join league menu.  When you join the league it will prompt you for a password.  Once you enter the password, you pick your team and you are in.  I will create the league after the roster update comes out on Thursday and post the name/password in this thread.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »

Are we still waiting for the player update?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 03:21:17 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
 I will create the league after the roster update comes out on Thursday ......

biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 10:07:34 PM »

Have you guys been following the discussion on OpSports regarding the massive improvement to the game by turning ON the EQ option?

If not, I highly recommend you review what this does before starting your league.

After reading everything I could find regarding this topic, I don't see why anyone would play with EQ off ever again - at least for online play,  playing against the A.I. may be a different story alltogether, I don't know.

Caution:  Before you comment on this, thinking you know what EQ does, you should inform yourselves first, and then comment.  I was always, always, always against this feature; but after reading more threads about it, and what it actually does, I have changed my tune.

This could be the feature that many of us who don't use one of the 3 uber-teams have been waiting for.

I am not here to impose my thoughts as much as to make you guys aware of this, if you don't already know about it.  Heck, you may not even decide to use it.

Here is a post to get you started...  there are many others if you are willing do to a little scouting:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=94844&page=1&pp=10

All the best.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2004, 05:45:38 PM »

For those of us who don't want to go through the hassle of signing up for the board just to read a single post, could you help us out with what benefits turning the EQ on would have?

Mike

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2004, 06:01:03 PM »

Now my guys in the secondary won't be wondering around clueless with EQ on?  biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »

Mike - I could direct quote from the lead A.I. guy from Visual Concepts, but that kind of makes it impersonal.

So - Here, in a nutshell, is what it does from my own experience as well as in my own words.

Turning on EQ basically "Squeezes together" the ratings of the really excellent and really poor rated players in the game, to be a little bit closer to the baseline average.  It sort of makes the godly players play like elite athletes instead, and makes the really poor players play at least like professional athletes who aren't quite as good as the really great players.  It takes teams like the Patriots down a notch, while bringing teams like the Cardinals up a notch.  From my experience, there still is a noticable difference between the Pats and Cards, but it isn't some monstrous cavern of difference that exists with EQ off.

However, that is not really the important part of what it does.  The important part of what it does is takes players with extremely poor consistancy ratings (as a prime example), and brings them up closer to a baseline.  To use Devil's example, it makes the Eagles cornerbacks play like professional football players who aren't that great at their positions, rather than making them play like 2nd string high school kids who get lost on 1 out of 4 of their coverage assignments.  

I am assuming everyone who knows this game already knows this, but NFL2k5 gameplay experiences are highly, highly related to player ratings.  Good, bad, or indifferent, I am not judging this, I am merely stating it as fact.  Because of this, when you have certain key positions that have very low ratings, you see some truly bizarre (dare I say monumentally stupid) reactions from the computer controlled players, that simply are not realistic.  Some people don't mind this, others do.  Whatever.  That is up to each person to decide.  But for the case of a league, where you want every team to at least have a SHOT of winning a game, and not getting completely pissed off because your db's play like 10 year old school girls on 1 out of every 4 plays, this option should probably be considered.

Again, I suggest you read for yourself though, as all that crap I just spewed out is my opinion only.  There are those with differing views, and their reasons, and just because I think they're offbase, doesn't mean they are.  You may read their side of it and agree with them.  But I have played this game ALOT, and I can tell you I don't ever see myself playing it with EQ OFF in either single player or multiplayer ever again.  It has made the game enormously more fun for me (and more challenging at times) with EQ ON.  I simply should NOT be able to complete certain passes without question using Jay Fiedler and passing to Chris Chambers when the defense is in dime coverage, regardless of how weak the opposing db's are.  With EQ ON, I can't.  And I, personally, like it that way.   :wink:

I have been playing with this option ON for a bit, but certainly not long enough to consider myself an expert on this topic, or the be-all/end-all source of information on it.

Also, keep in mind, I am not in your league, and would never dream of telling you guys how you should set it up.  I just wanted to make sure you were aware of EQ ON as a very viable option that has improved many many players' experiences.  You guys are my buds, and I want you to know of the options available to you.

And one last thing:  If you think turning EQ ON is going to benefit Devil in any way, shape, or form, I strongly implore you to keep it OFF.  He should not be allowed to win a single game in this league.  He is not worthy!   Tongue  

Hope that helps.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2004, 06:56:34 PM »

I may lose either way but I can tell anyone who plays against me to throw on every down if EQ is off.

I experimented a bit online against the Patriots (ScottW) and no matter the defense I called, there was always 1 or 2 guys in my secondary just kinda sitting there doing nothing. Dawkins made 95% of the tackles no matter where he was when the catch was made.

Pissed me off to the point of not playing anymore except for the league.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 07:11:20 PM »

Devil -

You really should play some single player (or, perish the thought, we could actually try some multiplayer again) with EQ ON.  You will feel like you are playing a different game almost.  I don't notice it as much from a defensive perspective when playing with my 'fins, as their db's are great as is, but when I play with my Steelers, the db's don't get burned on every play!!!!  Do they still get burned every so often?  Yeah,  but hell, they are the Steelers secondary, they should!  (sad to say).  

They even make some good plays from time to time.  It is freakin' great!

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 07:32:20 PM »

Ponch -

Yeah, we gotta play again.

Next week?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 07:36:42 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Ponch -

Yeah, we gotta play again.

Next week?

Sure.  Just let me know when you get back.  We'll plan it.

New rosters are out.  Wow!

LD

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2004, 07:34:18 PM »

Time to start this league then! smile

Wake up.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2004, 07:51:17 PM »

I didn't get a chance to look at the new rosters when I went online last night (they just did the auto download)...did the update just move players around, or did it adjust ratings as well?

Mike

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: