http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:51:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting sick while playing HL2  (Read 1129 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2004, 04:45:15 PM »

I'm actually DLing the game now while i'm at work, but i've been reading lots of stuff that is coming out that people are getting naseous and sick after playing for over an hour. I'm a little nervous, since i do sometimes get sick from FPS.

From the Steam forums, i've heard that the game locks the refresh at 60hz and that forcing this higher helps. I've also heard that disabling vsync may help.

The final thought was that the FOV (field of view) is lower than in many FPS (75 in HL2 vs 90+ in others). Apparently there is a console command that increases the FOV:
sv_cheats 1
default_fov 90
fov 90

This last one seems to have helped a majority of people.

Anyone have this problem?

(BTW, this link has an interesting example of how focal length works: http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/demos/focalCompress.htm
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 04:59:37 PM »

I usually don't get sick while playing FPS games, but after Ravenholm I had to take a break... I think it was due to the gravity gun - the fact that the item you're holding in front of you lags slighty when you turn is very disconcerting.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:16:45 AM »

I too can stomach most FPS games but prolonged hours in the airboat chapters and I get nauseus.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 02:33:47 AM »

yep, it makes me sick as well.  it has actually made me quit playing for now because of it.  if you have a problem such as this, i'd really be aware of it prior to playing.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 06:11:09 AM »

I've had no probs with it.  Although, no games have ever made me feel that way.  I have a couple of friends though who can't watch me play games because they get nauseas.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 06:56:47 AM »

Thought I'd chime in...The only game to ever make me sick was Spear of Destiny a looong time ago. The airboat sequence didn't quite make me sick but they did make me feel a bit queazy. Hopefully now that I am done with that section it will cease.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 04:36:22 PM »

I can only play in short sessions as well without getting nauseous. Did they release the stuttering patch yet? I was hoping this would help smooth out the frame rate. I only get sick from uneven frame rates.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: