http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:18:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Harrison (Nintendo) Interview - New Redesigned Wii a Possibility  (Read 1094 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »

I came across this interview with George Harrison -VP Marketing Nintendo US- over at gamedaily.
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16889&page=1
This is actually the published text of an interview that occurred at E3, so the contents aren't exactly late breaking. One of the more intereting points was his comments on the possibility of a new redesigned Wii.

BIZ: I interviewed Perrin during D.I.C.E. and we talked a bit about how Nintendo likes to revise its handhelds. I asked her if this revision model was applicable to console hardware like the Wii as well, and she said, "Sure. You'll see the ways in which we do that." That seemed like a strong hint that Nintendo will revise the current Wii hardware. Is a new model planned?

GH: It's interesting, console hardware has always historically been on a sort of fixed, sequential pattern almost every five to six years and it takes you about five years to develop a new piece of console hardware. The handhelds and portables, like Game Boy and now DS, we've always been continuously innovating, and whenever we feel like it's time or have an upgrade, we'll do it, whether it's an improved screen for the handheld or slimmed down like the DS Lite those types of things. So it's not out of the question on Wii, but we're not even to our second holiday yet, so it's kind of premature to talk about any revisions to the hardware itself.

I've often wondered, ever since the details of the Wii were 1st announced, if Big N might eventually release a new SKU. My guess is that if this is going to happen it will probably be sometime in the spring or fall of 2009.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »

But what would they change?  It's already tiny and has wi-fi.  About all they could add is HDMI, no?  Maybe a little more internal storage?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 24, 2007, 04:06:56 PM

But what would they change?  It's already tiny and has wi-fi.  About all they could add is HDMI, no?  Maybe a little more internal storage?

HDMI would be cool, but other than that and the additional storage you mentioned I don't think they should change a thing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »

Colors?  A black Wii would be hot!

Maybe they'll up the processing and graphics power a bit.

Oh, and add Blu Ray.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »

I'm guessing any improvements would simply be making the console smaller (and maybe colored differently).  It's extremely unlikely it will have any fundamental differences.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »

Strap on a 3rd Gamecube???  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:33:43 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 24, 2007, 04:31:29 PM

I'm guessing any improvements would simply be making the console smaller (and maybe colored differently).  It's extremely unlikely it will have any fundamental differences.

I don't think it's possible to make it any smaller-  they did a great job compacting everything.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 24, 2007, 04:06:56 PM

This would be my own shopping / wish list:
  • An increase in internal storage as some of the more avid fans of VC are already feeling the pinch.
  • Support for 720p via an updated ATI graphics card.
  • An increase in RAM; would be required to support internal buffers for 720p output.
  • Support for DVD playback. I personally couldn't care but it was something Big N initially promised.
  • Support for external USB Hard Drives
  • Support for USB keyboards

About a year ago I read a post on a Sega forum by a Sega programmer who claimed the Wii CPU was capable of being clocked to 1.2 Ghz, so possibly that would be switched on. Although it's possible the Wii CPU is already running at that speed.
I don't think we'll see support for HDMI as even in 2009 too few consumers will have HDMI capable HDTV's. If they implement 720p it would probably be via component output.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »

I'd rather see them let GAMECUBE GAMES address internal memory so you don't need a memory card, and an emu mode to use wii/nunchucks for controls and/or the classic controller.

BASTARDS.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:39:55 PM »

I just wish they'd offer digital audio out.  RCA analog out is just so... old
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 24, 2007, 05:39:55 PM

I just wish they'd offer digital audio out.  RCA analog out is just so... old

+1

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

Neither Nintendo or any other console maker is ever going to change the core components of a console.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: