http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:39:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geometry Wars on the PC?  (Read 2185 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:02:34 PM »

Or should I say, a 'too close to the original to be right' version has appeared on the net for people to pull and play. It's a lot of fun, and it could actually help improve your scores in the real thing.

There are some slight changes to the 360 game though. Give it a whirl and find out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »

Whew, got a nice case of joystick thumb going after that.  But fun nonetheless.  Really needs a dual analog thing to be really effective though.  Good thing I have an old joypad with just that.  Thanks for the head's up.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:05:51 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Really needs a dual analog thing to be really effective though.  Good thing I have an old joypad with just that.

Wired 360 controller FTW?

Cool since I don't have a 360 yet.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:36:38 AM »

so tell me, why was this posted in "Off Topic" ?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 02:27:14 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
so tell me, why was this posted in "Off Topic" ?

For the same reason Ron posts his things like his Katamaci Flash game in there. biggrin

Although, now that I realize it, this is a downloaded game...oops.

And to make a relevant post: HGEWars, yet another Geometry Wars clone that's a lot of fun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 12:10:29 AM »

Wait, someone made a flash game of Katamari? Got a link?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:41:21 AM »

HOLY HECK THIS IS RAD
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 12:57:02 AM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
Wait, someone made a flash game of Katamari? Got a link?

Here is the Katamari game, made by the katamari team.

xbox live: nude rick james
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:32:18 AM »

Oh my God this is fun. Tough as hell to last longer then a minute, but fun nonetheless. I see now why this is the top game on the 360.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 02:35:13 AM »

I'm finally able to stay alive for more than a couple of minutes.  Highest has been 300k using a crappy Thrustmaster joypad that at least has two analog sticks.  I've looked at the videos of GeoWars players and it looks like this version has a few differences.  Like the Gauntlet style monster houses.  Stupid things.  And the stupid green cubes are :evil:.  Stay still so I can shoot you!

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 03:33:32 AM »

got it working with both analog sticks on my XBox controller (the original huge one, with a standard USB adapter and the XBCD driver) - it took forever to figure out how to get the right one working.  but it happened, and the control is really great.  it does help a lot to stay alive longer.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 07:26:42 PM »

Wow this game is amazing!! So, what changes are there from the 360 version? Is the music better on Xbox live?

Btw, thanks for the heads up. I was actually going to get a 360 in part because of Geometry Wars. At least now I can hold off the part of me that wants one - until perhaps Gears of War comes out smile.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »

And the stupid green cubes are :evil:.  Stay still so I can shoot you!

if those green things behave the same as on the xbox 360, they're actually trying to get away.  they fly straight at you while your ship is turned away, then run the opposite direction when you turn your guns on them...makes them tricky to hit.  i've found that pinning one toward the edge of the screen or just firing a nice little spread takes them out quickly Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:50:14 PM »

Having played both of these (as I suggested them and everything biggrin ), I do have to say that the 360 game is better. Great little ditty of a soundtrack, and the game seems harder and more exciting at the same time.

But these games are both a great substitution to the 'real thing' for when you're away from your 360.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
And the stupid green cubes are :evil:.  Stay still so I can shoot you!

if those green things behave the same as on the xbox 360, they're actually trying to get away.  they fly straight at you while your ship is turned away, then run the opposite direction when you turn your guns on them...makes them tricky to hit.  i've found that pinning one toward the edge of the screen or just firing a nice little spread takes them out quickly Cool

It looks like they scatter in the wake of your shots when you go at them.

Great find!

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 09:55:22 PM »

I bought the wired xbox360 controller and it works really well with gridwars. Its sooo much better than what I was using before - keyboard for movement and firing.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »

Quote from: "raydude"
I bought the wired xbox360 controller and it works really well with gridwars. Its sooo much better than what I was using before - keyboard for movement and firing.

Oddly enough I was strolling through the mouse/keyboard section of Best Buy the other day and saw the wired 360 controller in the joystick section.  It has different packaging than the regular console version.  I guess the difference is that the PC-marketed version (in red packaging) comes with a driver disc?

edit:
Here it is.  Wacky.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 02:33:16 AM »

It's (the Microsoft Wired Controller for PCs) a nice controller, but unfortunately the digital pad is a bit too soft for those of us who'd want a nice emulation controller. biggrin

For everything else though, it's a great pair of analog sticks. Microsoft knew what they were doing when the 360 controller came out.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 04:09:16 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Oddly enough I was strolling through the mouse/keyboard section of Best Buy the other day and saw the wired 360 controller in the joystick section.  It has different packaging than the regular console version.  I guess the difference is that the PC-marketed version (in red packaging) comes with a driver disc?

you are correct...the controller is identical, but they give you a disc in the package.  if you buy one without the disc, you can just download the drivers from the MS website.  i still can't believe BestBuy has the nerve to sell the "Windows version" for $45...an extra $5 just for a driver disc  :roll:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 04:54:10 AM »

Hmm...

I was going to quickly dismiss this by saying I am content with my Saitek "PS2-like" joystick, but then I saw this one has feedback vibration.  That was probably the one thing I thought was missing regarding console vs. PC controllers.  It really adds to the game's "mood" if it's used properly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »

you are correct...the controller is identical, but they give you a disc in the package.  if you buy one without the disc, you can just download the drivers from the MS website.  i still can't believe BestBuy has the nerve to sell the "Windows version" for $45...an extra $5 just for a driver disc  :roll:

Wait...so if I buy the wired 360 controller, it works just fine on the PC?

I figured it would work, but didn't know for sure.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 02:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Wait...so if I buy the wired 360 controller, it works just fine on the PC?

I figured it would work, but didn't know for sure.

This is correct. I bought the genuine wired controller for the Xbox360 - NOT the PC-marketed version. I know because the packaging was green/white, NOT red, and because I was in the console section of Target.

I plugged my controller into the USB port and windows started searching for drivers for it. It must have gone out to the internet because I didn't have a driver disk but after 30 seconds windows recognized it as the "Xbox360 controller".  I verified it by going into Control Panel/properties/game controllers and sure enough I could test and calibrate both sticks, the buttons, triggers, etc.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 11:46:58 PM »

the one catch to using a 360 controller on your PC is that the vibration feature isn't supported by most games.  the controller works great in WinXP otherwise, but don't expect any rumbling...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: