http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:22:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genres You Used To Love, But No Longer Do  (Read 2222 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2007, 04:36:50 PM »

As per a conversation with Dapper Gentleman Pete Rock, I got to thinking about gaming genres that I used to love, but no longer play very often.

The first that came to mind is sports games.  I used to play sports games all the time on the PC- especially NBA Live, but when I crossed back over to consoles with the XBOX in 2002, the only sports game I've played since was NCAA 2003 (which I loved until my dynasty got eaten by a bug 10 seasons in).  This is odd, as I used to play lots of sports games on the Genesis.

Next would be RTS.  I was a gigamondous fan of C&C. And then Starcraft. And then Warcraft (in that order for me).  But slowly TBS crept in and overwhelmed it as a similar but different type of game style but less frenetic that took more planning and was less susceptible to tank rushes.  In fact, several TBS games make it into my top 10 of all time.  No RTS' there.

Lastly, I've grown weary of FPS.  I like most of us used to play tons of FPS games starting with Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem and on and on through Serious Sam.  But I've avoided most of them lately because I've found that the third person view is my favored one in games and that the FPS convention is largely played out,imo.  True, there are several FPS games that I'm looking forward to in the coming weeks, but it's not a general a genre I get excited about anymore.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »

I used to be hardcore into flight sims, but after Janes died I started to see less and less quality in what was out there.  I've all but sworn off flight sims at this point. frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 20, 2007, 04:45:51 PM

I used to be hardcore into flight sims, but after Janes died I started to see less and less quality in what was out there.  I've all but sworn off flight sims at this point. frown

Yep. Flight sims too...but it has been a long time.  I used to love flight sims: Battle for Britain (I think..not the most recent one, but one that came out long ago). LHX. A10 Warthog....

But then they started getting hellah complicated with these 600 key cardboard control overlays: B1 Bomber anyone?

Haven't looked back in many a many years.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »

The reverse is happening with me and adventure games.  I've found my laptop to be ideal for them, and I've really gotten back into them of late.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:09:29 PM »

good call on flight sims.  mostly it's because they either went hardcore realism or they went arcade-y.  plus, i was never as fond of jet era missile dogfighting as i was of ww1 dogfights. 

sadly, jrpg's are becoming less and less desirable to me.  part of it is the constant rehashing of the same old stories.  i don't want to be a 14-17 year old boy who was either the-one-true-king; the one prophesied to overthrow the evil king, or the orphan who learns to be a man while saving the world.  show me something new. 

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 20, 2007, 04:45:51 PM

Janeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Oh Janeeeeee how I loved D.. crybaby Whats even worst is I have the CD's and they wont run on my XP machine for nothing.. crybaby

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »

I used to like RTS, but I seem to have gotten burned out on them.  I can't even stick with RPG RTS, sadly, and there are many games in that genre I would like to like.

I haven't played a FPS for a long time, but it's primarily due to nothing I want to play coming out.  I -hate- the "Battlefied" games, and I'm kind of tired of WW2 games.  But I love Team Fortress style, and Enemy Territory was definitely one of my favorite games.  I've been eagerly anticipating the new versions for seemingly forever.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »

First, the ones I no longer play because the genre died: Space Sims  crybaby, Adventure Games  crybaby, Platform Sidescrollers  crybaby, "Shmup" Vert/Side Scrolling Shooters  crybaby, Light Gun Games crybaby, Top Down Driving Games crybaby.

Ok, with that out of the way, some that are still current that are no longer my cup of tea.

I'm with you on the Sports Games.  I was big on the NES and Genesis era games, but I think I just didn't make the switch to 3d with the genre.  It worked better for me to have the sports abstracted, with lovely pixel art animations of hockey players smooshing into the sideboards.  I can't think of any realistic looking sports game today that looks more fun than NHL '94.

Fighting games are pretty much dead to me, and I was a huge fan back in the day.  They either got too complex for me, like Virtua Fighter, or got too heavy on 500 hit combos like the X vs. Capcom series.

City/realm building games don't grab me much any more.  I liked Sim City 4 for a while, but for whatever reason it just didn't keep my attention for very long at all.  I haven't gotten into a Caesar/Zeus sort of builder for a long long time either.  Who knows, maybe Sim City Societies' new take on the genre will be perfect for me, despite my skepticism.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »

I just can't seem to get into hentai dating sims anymore...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »

I'm completely and utterly burned out on the Grand Theft Auto formula.  I loved GTA3 and really enjoyed Vice City, but San Andreas was too large and had too many frustrating missions, and by the time I unlocked Vegas I was done, having lost interest entirely.  And because I've burned out on GTA gameplay, I've had zero interest in games like Saint's Row, regardless of how good reviews have been.  

I'm actually concerned about GTA4.  I really want to play, but if it's just more of the same with bad controls, long missions, and huge areas, it might wind up sitting on my shelf like San Andreas.

Although I must say that I am enjoying The Godfather, even though it is similar to GTA, but The Godfather's side missions are at least fun, I love the story, and it's just different enough to keep me from lumping it in with the GTA series.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 20, 2007, 05:49:22 PM

I'm completely and utterly burned out on the Grand Theft Auto formula.  I loved GTA3 and really enjoyed Vice City, but San Andreas was too large and had too many frustrating missions, and by the time I unlocked Vegas I was done, having lost interest entirely.  And because I've burned out on GTA gameplay, I've had zero interest in games like Saint's Row, regardless of how good reviews have been.  

I'm actually concerned about GTA4.  I really want to play, but if it's just more of the same with bad controls, long missions, and huge areas, it might wind up sitting on my shelf like San Andreas.

Although I must say that I am enjoying The Godfather, even though it is similar to GTA, but The Godfather's side missions are at least fun, I love the story, and it's just different enough to keep me from lumping it in with the GTA series.

I had the same problem with San Andreas, but recently I decided to just plug through the damned thing.  I found the missions from Vegas onward were pretty fun and, all told, there were only a few hours remaining in the game.  It got me back into it, and I am now (finally) playing through the first GTA III as a result.

As for the death of adventure games, they seem to be on the upswing again.  It's the only genre that seems to have repsonded well to the "episodic gameplay" idea.  Sam & Max is very fun.  I also think they're ideal for the Wii, so we may see a return there (they're doing pretty well on the DS, too).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »

Yup I was once upon a flight sim geek enthusiast; blame it on my nephew joining air cadets and wanting to build him a training cockpit. The quality is still their in this FS genre, but the titles worth playing are only releasing at the rate of about 1 every 2 years. I do still get some airtime in FS2002, Falcon4, Wings Over Europe/Vietnam and IL2. I've been meaning to buy FS X, but the fact that I still haven't is an indication of my dwindling enthusiam. Plus all my AAA FS gear broke a few years ago and has been replaced with much lesser quality. My ever ongoing quest for my VFR pilot license keeps me interested and occasionally playing civilian FS's.

The other genre that's faded for me is FPS's. Like some others I've come to enjoy 3rd Person Shooter much more and really prefer games with an Action-adventure bent. I've also come to enjoy offline co-op play much more than online play. It seems to me that to enjoy FPS's these days you really have to be into the online scene and IMHO the consoles FPS community has never become what it once for the PC.

A genre I'm enjoying that I previous never did are 16-bit console games. I more or less stopped gaming for about 7 years during the entire 16 bit gen so I'm making up for lost time and having a great time doing so. smile
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 06:38:17 PM »

put me down for sport games. I used to love em,  LOVE em . Now its just so much same ol same ol for me. EA hasnt really added or done a damn thing in a decade IMHO.

RTS, the build and zerg games are kinda done with me too. I liked company of heroes but even that bored me after a while.

I guess I am a product of the 70s and 80s where every few years games were innovative, different, and new.  Now days it is sequel city, and the genres are stuck in stone.

Really looking forward to Litle Big Planet on the ps3, I love the ability to be creative in games.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 06:47:01 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on August 20, 2007, 06:38:17 PM

I guess I am a product of the 70s and 80s where every few years games were innovative, different, and new.  Now days it is sequel city, and the genres are stuck in stone.

Yeah those video games in the 70's definatly weren't "more of the same."   icon_wink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »

For me it's fighters.  Street Fighter, tekken, Virtua Fighter, DOA, these were all majorly anticipated back in the day.  Now, it's the same ole same ole.  I find now, that i am increasingly into games with great story, whether they be rpg's (Final Fantasy), Strategy games (Warcraft III), or Action Games (Halo).  It's why my most anticipated includes Bioshock, Mass Effect and the like.  I'm also big on MMORPG's, but not WoW for some reason.  EQ2 has MUCH better lore.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 20, 2007, 04:36:50 PM

The first that came to mind is sports games

Next would be RTS

Excellent topic, ATB.

I agree with your selections as well. I used to adore RTS titles but can barely stomach them anymore since falling in love with TBS games. Either today's RTS titles have sped up too much (anyone catch my brief rant about BFME2 somewhere on our forums?) or I've gotten to old to be bothered by that feeling of being rushed. I still find room on my plate for the occasional quality RTS game that allows you to adjust the game speed (Kohan series).

Sports games is another one. Actually, more so the action sports games than anything (I still love sims like Eastside Hockey Manager, Front Office Football, etc). NCAA Football 2008 is a fairly solid game and I can recognize it for that. It has certainly improved on the 360 and offers many of the features/options I've been wanting for years. But I just can't make time to play it anymore. I can't help but want to be playing Civ, an RPG, or some other favorite title when I'm in the middle of a game. I feel even worse when I've finished a couple of games plus a week or two of recruiting and feel like I've wasted three hours.

Speaking of wasting time, let's hear it for MMOs. I was the biggest MMO whore for so many years. Played them all and that's ALL I played (I still have an active UO account but only play maybe once or twice a month for an hour at a time). Oh how many countless hours were thrown away there with next to nothing to show for it now. I've since learned my lesson and have been cure.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 07:28:11 PM »

It'd be RPGs for me, I guess. I used to buy all of them sight unseen. Nowdays, I'm skipping on even the good ones. I guess the fact that they take such a time investment on my part is the biggest reason. The smaller part is the rather formulaic story in most of them. I can only experience so many "I grew up/was dumped at a small farm, something bad happens that kills everything, and I go after the big foozle alone/with my childhood friend(s)" storylines before I grow tired of them. It still won't stop me from buying the big ones, but I just don't have as much time to give to them as I used to.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 20, 2007, 07:11:06 PM

Sports games is another one. Actually, more so the action sports games than anything (I still love sims like Eastside Hockey Manager, Front Office Football, etc).

I love Eastside Hockey Manager, sadly I heard somewhere (can't remember where now) that they aren't going to be making it anymore due to piracy.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 20, 2007, 04:36:50 PM

As per a conversation with Dapper Gentleman Pete Rock, I got to thinking about gaming genres that I used to love, but no longer play very often.

The first that came to mind is sports games.  I used to play sports games all the time on the PC- especially NBA Live, but when I crossed back over to consoles with the XBOX in 2002, the only sports game I've played since was NCAA 2003 (which I loved until my dynasty got eaten by a bug 10 seasons in).  This is odd, as I used to play lots of sports games on the Genesis.

Next would be RTS.  I was a gigamondous fan of C&C. And then Starcraft. And then Warcraft (in that order for me).  But slowly TBS crept in and overwhelmed it as a similar but different type of game style but less frenetic that took more planning and was less susceptible to tank rushes.  In fact, several TBS games make it into my top 10 of all time.  No RTS' there.

Lastly, I've grown weary of FPS.  I like most of us used to play tons of FPS games starting with Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem and on and on through Serious Sam.  But I've avoided most of them lately because I've found that the third person view is my favored one in games and that the FPS convention is largely played out,imo.  True, there are several FPS games that I'm looking forward to in the coming weeks, but it's not a general a genre I get excited about anymore.

So what genre do you play now?
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 20, 2007, 07:35:20 PM

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 20, 2007, 07:11:06 PM

Sports games is another one. Actually, more so the action sports games than anything (I still love sims like Eastside Hockey Manager, Front Office Football, etc).

I love Eastside Hockey Manager, sadly I heard somewhere (can't remember where now) that they aren't going to be making it anymore due to piracy.

Correct  icon_cry . I believe EHM is officially "on hold" for now but it's most likely finished. SEGA did resurrect their soccer/football manager this season after it was in a similar position as EHM but, at this point, I believe the EHM crew has moved onto another similar project.

I bought EHM 2005 at retail and didn't get nearly as much play out of it as I should. 2007 released as digital download only shortly before the hiatus announcement. I bought the digi download to support the project and hopefully encourage another release (the stellar reviews, justified, didn't hurt either).

--Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 20, 2007, 05:39:34 PM

First, the ones I no longer play because the genre died: Space Sims  crybaby, Adventure Games  crybaby, Platform Sidescrollers  crybaby, "Shmup" Vert/Side Scrolling Shooters  crybaby, Light Gun Games crybaby, Top Down Driving Games crybaby.

I just want to give a shout out to this list, and say "ditto".

Like Fyedaddy, I'm far less into mmo's anymore, though I don't quite agree with the extent to which time spent on them results in "nothing to show for it", since that's true of most games. icon_wink I still find them interesting but they're too much "more of the same" anymore. I still play WoW, primarily because there's some great team-based content remaining in the game for me, and my girlfriend and my guild make the game a complete riot to play.

The last two years, I've gradually focused more and more on spending more time on fewer games, really trying to squeeze out the gameplay and really dig into them. If the game isn't good enough for more than that, it's just a rental and never followed up with a purchase.

The one genre that I'm less forgiving of now than, say, six or seven years ago, is the jrpg. I still love 'em, but I've played through so many of them in the last decade that I'm less tolerant of mediocrity in the genre.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »

Yeah, the world definitely needs another space sim.  WTF happened to that genre?  LucasArts needs to bring back Tie Fighter... and someone needs to remake Elite.

As far as the others on Wonderpug's list... the DS seems to have lots of those (adventure, platformer, shooters).  It really seems to be hitting a "retro" gameplay vibe.  And I can totally see the Wii having lightgun games.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 09:12:40 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 20, 2007, 09:09:35 PM

Yeah, the world definitely needs another space sim.  WTF happened to that genre?

What was the last one, Freespace 2?

--Devil
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 20, 2007, 09:12:40 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on August 20, 2007, 09:09:35 PM

Yeah, the world definitely needs another space sim.  WTF happened to that genre?

What was the last one, Freespace 2?

Was X3 the last?  I held off because of the iffy reviews.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »

Project Sylpheed on the 360 is going to scratch my space sim itch as soon as I can find it cheap.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 12:54:06 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 20, 2007, 05:24:47 PM

I used to like RTS, but I seem to have gotten burned out on them.  I can't even stick with RPG RTS, sadly, and there are many games in that genre I would like to like.

+1.  I swore I'd always play RTS and never FPS, but now I play FPS and no RTS.  Oh, and turn based games.  I loved Civ/Civ 2/MoO/MoO2 and now I can't stand waiting in turns.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 12:55:01 AM »

Quote from: warning on August 20, 2007, 05:43:22 PM

I just can't seem to get into hentai dating sims anymore...

it sucks. there hasn't been a good one in years.

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 01:36:45 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 20, 2007, 11:25:33 PM

Project Sylpheed on the 360 is going to scratch my space sim itch as soon as I can find it cheap.

I thought it would too.

It didn't.

icon_cry

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 01:43:16 AM »

RTS games would be my #1. I played so much Dune II, Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, C&C Red Alert, AoE, etc back in the day... but I haven't really gotten into one in a long time. Enjoyed Dawn of War and Company of Heroes for a while but they didn't last for me. I think I just burned out, but Starcraft 2 will be the real test smile.

FPS - For some reason I don't have the patience and stamina for these much anymore. Story is always too little and it requires me to be too focused all the time, especially with console controls.  I still like some multiplayer action, but single player rarely holds me for long in the genre.
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 03:01:42 AM »

I know one thing I hate about RTS is the whole maintenance crap.  I would like to have the RTS be about competing strategies, not about who has the best build order or can harvest more widgets the fastest.

Would that be saying I'd like strategy without logistics?

It would also be cool if an RTS would allow two players to operate the same team.  That way I could team up with someone who is actually GOOD at base building and build order and all that lame crap, and I just explore and expand (and execute  icon_twisted )
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:03:54 AM by unbreakable » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:47 AM »

Text adventures.  Eaten by a grue?  Fuck that shit.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 03:27:53 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 21, 2007, 03:14:47 AM

Fuck that shit.

You have used more than two words.  Please rephrase.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 03:50:40 AM »

Hmmm...honestly can't think of one I really no longer play or love. Huh.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:55 AM »

I used to play a ton of RTS games back when I had a LAN to play with my college buddies.  StarCraft, Total Annihilation, Age of Empires/Kings, C&C...so many hours spent on those.  Then I came to the realization that I didn't really like stressing out about micromanaging a million things at once and getting the perfect build order and everything else.  I enjoyed Dawn of War for a while, but never even got Company of Heroes.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 04:21:11 AM »

I heard that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:15 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 21, 2007, 03:50:40 AM

Hmmm...honestly can't think of one I really no longer play or love. Huh.

Ehh..maybe MMOs actually, although I don't know if I ever loved them.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 04:49:23 AM »

I used to be a HUUUUGE FPS and RTS'er. It was basically all I would play. Then I started to slowly move towards RPGs and played those almost exclusively for 3 or so years. Now I play pretty much anything as long as it doesn't suck. If I had to pick one preference though I would say MMO's. They often keep me from spending too much on games since they require a lot of time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 05:03:45 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2007, 04:21:11 AM

I heard that.

yeah, fuckin' grues.  they are the stupidest thing ever.

Tongue

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »

RPGs.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »

Another vote for RTS.  I played the hell out of Starcraft and the first two Age of Empires games, but now I find them terribly boring.  I'm also pretty burned out on sports games, and can rarely get through an entire season in any game.  I'll typically pick up last year's Madden for $10-15 about the time this year's comes out, so I'm always a year behind.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: