http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 12:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will Purge insert a poll?
Yes - 4 (11.4%)
Yes - 26 (74.3%)
No - 1 (2.9%)
Yes - 3 (8.6%)
Yes - 1 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Grand Theft Auto IV Thread .... IT'S OUT! but no impressions here!  (Read 34781 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 28, 2008, 06:42:27 PM

As a "lawyer" I'm amazed that Jack Thompson believes he even has the thinnest leg to stand on regarding these mature games. The ratings and laws to keep these M-rated games out of the hands of minors are already in place. Whether they are consistently enforced is a matter of debate, though I recall a recent study that showed that game sales were one of the most consistently enforced policies (well ahead of M+ rated movies and music).

I know the guy's nothing but a publicity hound, but it seriously pisses me off that as a 30+ year old gamer, I have to listen to the media and Jack Thompsons of the world railing against my content of choice when it's content specifically geared and rated towards adults.

The mere mention of his name makes me nauseous.  

I have actually noticed far more enforcement for video games than I even have for alcohol.  I am carded far more often when purchasing mature-rated games than I am when purchasing beer.  I continue to wish that the "what about the children" argument will eventually be seen as the useless and wrongly-applied argument that it is as the games in question are not even intended for and should not be sold to anyone under the age of 18.  However, poor parenting and a society well-versed in focusing blame in all directions away from their own responsibility continues to provide whack-job naysayers like this bumbling idiot plenty of old soap boxes to stand on.  

It truly is a shame, but at times like this I am embarassed to be a gamer.  Not because I agree with Jackass Thompson, but because even though gaming seems to be under a bit more scrutiny than other entertainment media, developers continue to provide ample ammunition for the anti-gaming gestapo.  Way to fucking go.   disgust

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 28, 2008, 06:58:43 PM

holy shit this is crazy..CVG have just posted the cheats for the game,thats right the cheats for the game thats released tomorrow
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187854

i think this is stupid releaseing these now,if i do use cheats on GTA games its well after a month or so,and only when dicking about,but i dont think i will be using these

If that is the complete list, I'm bummed there aren't more world modifying mods, like being able to turn the pedestrians aggressive.  It'd open a lot more toys for our multiplayer tomfoolery.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 28, 2008, 05:28:28 PM

I'm leaning toward Kilt Lifter Ale from a local Tempe brewery.  But, if the local store is out like usual then I can always fall back on Sam Adams White Ale. 

You have to do the Kilt Lifter and you have to go to the source (Four Peaks). I unfortunately have become a lightweight. Add that to the fact that I have the day off, and I will probably not be drinking and playing. Yes I know: Fabulous

LiveTAG: happydog
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: April 28, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »

developers continue to provide ample ammunition for the anti-gaming gestapo
and bowing to gestapo works better why? 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 28, 2008, 07:06:02 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 28, 2008, 06:58:43 PM

holy shit this is crazy..CVG have just posted the cheats for the game,thats right the cheats for the game thats released tomorrow
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187854

i think this is stupid releaseing these now,if i do use cheats on GTA games its well after a month or so,and only when dicking about,but i dont think i will be using these

If that is the complete list, I'm bummed there aren't more world modifying mods, like being able to turn the pedestrians aggressive.  It'd open a lot more toys for our multiplayer tomfoolery.

Hmm, unless Rockstar built it into the code to automatically disable achievements if these are used, wouldn't such things risk getting a gamerscore reset to zero? 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »

I'm starting to get nervous.  My Amazon order is still showing as the pre-shipping step with an estimated arrival date of April 30.  I know I don't trust Amazon's estimated arrival dates, and they often ship out late in the evening, and I have it coming overnight shipping, but still, I'm nervous.  If I don't see it as "Out for delivery" tomorrow, I'm going to swing by a store and snag a copy to be returned when my Amazon copy turns up.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

developers continue to provide ample ammunition for the anti-gaming gestapo

I agree with TC - modifying your vision to please the anti-gamers only serves to give them credibility, and lends credence to the idea that mature content in games is "wrong." It's not wrong. The average age of gamers in this country is WELL over the legal definition of adult. The laws are in place to rate these games and encourage retailers not to sell to minors. There is absolutely no reason in this world why Mature rated games should not be allowed to have mature content and be able to be purchased by adults.

It is high time society's perceptions of video games is modified to include the understanding that they are not just for children. Developers keeping mature content out of their games for fear of media backlash will do nothing to change that perception.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 28, 2008, 07:52:16 PM

Hmm, unless Rockstar built it into the code to automatically disable achievements if these are used, wouldn't such things risk getting a gamerscore reset to zero? 

I read in another thread that when you use a cheat then you get some popup or something saying achievements are disabled for that session.  Something along those lines.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »

Paid off my pre-order for my vanilla GTA4 this afternoon at my local Gamestop. Current deals have nice boost to trade in value of games so my three trade-ins actually exceeded what I owed on GTAIV.

I do have to confess to subtly trying to get the associate (whom I have bought from before) to slip me the game early, but sadly even playing the older gentleman gamer card was ineffective  icon_frown.

Also no midnight release for them, but he assures me that there won't be a line tomorrow by the time I get off work and get there. He did say that he had over 75 pre-orders for each plain console version and more than 25 of the CE for each, and this is a little store in a small city and just opened recently. I can't even imagine the crowd at some of the uber-mall stores.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 28, 2008, 08:01:47 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 28, 2008, 07:52:16 PM

I read in another thread that when you use a cheat then you get some popup or something saying achievements are disabled for that session.  Something along those lines.

oh great...more pop up on the 360(!)...LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 28, 2008, 07:53:09 PM

I'm starting to get nervous.  My Amazon order is still showing as the pre-shipping step with an estimated arrival date of April 30.  I know I don't trust Amazon's estimated arrival dates, and they often ship out late in the evening, and I have it coming overnight shipping, but still, I'm nervous.  If I don't see it as "Out for delivery" tomorrow, I'm going to swing by a store and snag a copy to be returned when my Amazon copy turns up.

My amazon order just shipped (5:00 pm ET) with a 4/29 ship date (was 4/30 before). I'm sure you are good.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

I got an email saying that my PS3 bundled with GTA would not reach me tomorrow as planned. I won't get a chance to really play until Thursday anyway so as long as it arrives by then I won't be too disappointed.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »

T-Minus 7 hours and change until I grab a copy at a midnight opening!
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 28, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »

Arrg, so torn.

I wanted to get it for the xbox since that is where I expect all the multiplayer to go down.  But MSFT won't get my xbox back to me until friday!

Do I buy it tomorrow for the ps3 and try to resell/trade it on friday after I get my 360 back, just deal with it being on ps3 and play with mostly random strangers, or wait until friday.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »

I can't believe this, but the Best Buy five minutes from my house is having a midnight launch, and I'm actually considering going.  It's 35 degrees right now, it's raining, so maybe that would keep the crowd down to a minimum...maybe.  I've always wondered how nutty these kind of releases are never have I bothered to go to a midnight release - for cripes sakes I can always go the next day.  However, I imagine 'giant release at midnight when the weather is a total bitch' will be less crowded than 'after work release day'.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »

See... I'll be honest here.  I don't understand midnight launches.  Maybe it's cause I'm getting old but if I got a game at midnight, I'd be able to play for about 1 hour tops before I passed out and went to sleep.  Then I'd be hating myself the next day.

gellar
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:47 PM »

Quote from: FlyingElvis on April 28, 2008, 09:04:20 PM

Quote from: Chaz on April 28, 2008, 07:53:09 PM

My amazon order just shipped (5:00 pm ET) with a 4/29 ship date (was 4/30 before). I'm sure you are good.

I wasn't really that nervous, and indeed there was no reason to be.  Just like all my Amazon orders, I got my notice around 7 EST, as did another guy in the office who also ordered from Amazon with overnight shipping.  Should be on my doorstep tomorrow.  Now I just have to remember to check and see if there's a signature required, and hang a signed note on the door so they drop it off. 

Sweet.  Going to be a long night tomorrow night.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:29 PM »

me and one of my partners have some morning meetings near NY,  once we are done we are stopping off at EB, grabbing our games, giving ourselves a half day and going to go play online.  Its good to be the boss.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 28, 2008, 11:17:46 PM

See... I'll be honest here.  I don't understand midnight launches.  Maybe it's cause I'm getting old but if I got a game at midnight, I'd be able to play for about 1 hour tops before I passed out and went to sleep.  Then I'd be hating myself the next day.

gellar

fixed

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »

gellar

i work 2nd shift, makes sense for me. though im working tonight and won't get off til 1am. so oh well there.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »

gellar

+1

Midnight openings are ass when you get up at 5 AM for work.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 29, 2008, 12:00:29 AM

gellar

+1

Midnight openings are ass when you get up at 5 AM for work.

But not when you get to skip your classes the next day, not all of us are geezers yet slywink Or like in TC's case, he's da boss so he can do whatever the heck he wants...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Quote from: depward on April 28, 2008, 03:24:19 PM

I wish I could get work off tomorrow.  But alas, I cannot.

I just put in a request to go home at noon tomorrow for a dentist appointment. I lied smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

OK, so the beverage of choice for tonight will be Rising Moon, a spring ale by the makers of Blue Moon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »

Best Buy confirmed my store pickup will be available at store opening tomorrow. I'll probably go pick it up at lunch. It's going to be one heck of a long afternoon staring at it in my hands with no way to play it! I guess I'll just sit there and read the manual over and over.  icon_razz
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 01:21:10 AM

Best Buy confirmed my store pickup will be available at store opening tomorrow. I'll probably go pick it up at lunch. It's going to be one heck of a long afternoon staring at it in my hands with no way to play it! I guess I'll just sit there and read the manual over and over.  icon_razz

Yep I'll be reading the manual quite a bit tomorrow at work.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2008, 02:16:45 AM »

i need to weigh the following:

need for sleep in the face of a growing cold or

getting to play the game tonight.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2008, 02:51:19 AM »

My GTA IV CE is in baltimore

Type:      Package      
Scheduled Delivery:    04/29/2008    
Shipped To:    BALTIMORE, MD, US    
Shipped/Billed On:    04/28/2008    
Service:    GROUND    
Weight:    6.00 Lbs

nod

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:46 AM »

Mine's in Philadelphia.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 29, 2008, 04:41:33 AM »

Mine's in my 360 Tongue
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: April 29, 2008, 06:03:44 AM »

IMPRESSIONS!!!!

biggrin

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 29, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »

I'm a weak person.
I went to the midnight launch.
I decided I'm eating Bologna sandwiches for lunch the next two weeks.
My Safety deposit box is on my desk, and in 5 minutes, my copy is in my 360.
The wise ass in me is thinking, "You could call in sick tomorrow".

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 29, 2008, 06:29:30 AM »

Quote from: MrDuck on April 29, 2008, 06:03:44 AM

IMPRESSIONS!!!!

biggrin

Here.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:18 AM »

Anyone got it on the PS3 so far? I think my copy is defective, the game looks horrible. Extremely blurry...  icon_mad

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 29, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »

I came into work at 5am this morning so I can flex out and pick up my game. Of course, as fate would have it, my wife is going to be at home today and is going to want me to work some "honey do" items for her <sigh>  icon_confused

XBL gamertag: jztemple
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 29, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 29, 2008, 09:15:46 AM

I came into work at 5am this morning so I can flex out and pick up my game. Of course, as fate would have it, my wife is going to be at home today and is going to want me to work some "honey do" items for her <sigh>  icon_confused

Fabulous

I came in at 6am yesterday and worked until 5pm, and I came in again at 6am this morning.  At 1pm I am leaving the office to head over to Best Buy, I'll grab my GTA IV preorder and a number of DVDs I haven't had time to pick up, and then I will head directly home and never look back.

My wife has been made painfully aware of GTA IV's release, she knows of my plan to leave work early, and she even got her usual gaming in last night knowing that I would be on the 360 most of tonight.  I also threatened to pop a cap in her ass just in case. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 29, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

I decided to be very upfront with my wife.

YK: "Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out tomorrow. It's a game where you can get blowjobs from hookers and then shoot them in the head."

YQ: "Hehe"

YK: "I'm serious. And you can go to strip clubs."

YQ: "Ok, hee hee."

YK: "Ok, laugh all you want but tomorrow night I'm gonna be getting my virtual handjob on from some skanky street ho, and then I'm popping the bitch in the back of the head to get my money back."

YQ: "OK. Just help me clean the house up a little bit first."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 29, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 01:45:29 PM

YK: "Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out tomorrow. It's a game where you can get blowjobs from hookers and then shoot them in the head."

YK: "Ok, laugh all you want but tomorrow night I'm gonna be getting my virtual handjob on from some skanky street ho, and then I'm popping the bitch in the back of the head to get my money back."

the fact that "your wife" in this scenario was played by a sock puppet with hastily applied lipstick and a feather boa wasn't mentioned.... 

Tongue

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 29, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 01:45:29 PM

Now that I've had an evening to cool off and move beyond our disagreement on semantics and the difference between criticism and censorship, I feel we can go back to participating in common conversations as online friends rather than bitter rivals (we all inevitably disagree on something).  I don't advocate censorship and see the point you were trying to make, and I'd like to just go back to discussing the game.

Last night I also was up front with my wife about GTA IV and mentioned our tiff discussing the ability to solicit hand-jobs and blow-jobs in-game.

PeteRock: "Um, do you remember in GTA 3 how you could pick up a hooker, pull into a deserted alley, the car would rock for a bit, your health would go up and your money down, and when it was over you could run her over, recollect your funds, and be on your merry way?"

Mrs. PeteRock: "Yeah, that was pretty funny.  You'd pop a cap in her ass.....BLAM BLAM <<making gun shape with fingers>>!"

PeteRock: "Well, in this iteration they actually show some of the acts, and they have been expanded to include hand-jobs and blow-jobs as well."

Mrs. PeteRock: "You're kidding me.  You can get a hand-job from a hooker?  We've got to check that out."   saywhat

And then she started laughing.

PeteRock: "I had made a comment on GT about how stupid it was and it turned into an argument on censorship.  I more or less think it's a silly addition, but it certainly provides the usual naysayers with more ammunition."

Mrs. PeteRock: "Well, given the circumstances, now you know we have to go get a hand-job.  When I get home from work let's go find a hooker, get a hand-job, then beat her down and get our money back.  Now that I know you can do it and I've heard about the hype how can we not get a hand-job?  It only makes sense."

icon_eek

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »

This is the point, PeteRock, where you're supposed to say, "Well you know...the only thing better than a virtual handjob is a real one." Then arch one eyebrow suggestively as you point towards your member.

Now that I've had an evening to cool off and move beyond our disagreement on semantics and the difference between criticism and censorship, I feel we can go back to participating in common conversations as online friends rather than bitter rivals (we all inevitably disagree on something).  I don't advocate censorship and see the point you were trying to make, and I'd like to just go back to discussing the game.

I concur. It was a fun diversion while waiting for the game to come out, but it's not an important enough issue to me to distract from actually playing it. And as always, I respect PeteRock as both a friend and a flaming metrosexual.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:08:17 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: