http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will Purge insert a poll?
Yes - 4 (11.4%)
Yes - 26 (74.3%)
No - 1 (2.9%)
Yes - 3 (8.6%)
Yes - 1 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Grand Theft Auto IV Thread .... IT'S OUT! but no impressions here!  (Read 34557 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 23, 2008, 04:52:48 PM

I might even have to try San Andreas once more.  I want to finish it, but the controls are atrocious and the game world is just too big.  Perhaps I can focus on the main missions and forget about the side missions, no matter how out-of-character that is for me, just to be able to finish the game and have a clean GTA slate for IV's release.

I finished it twice, once with 100% completion. I did the same thing with VC. I only completed GTA3 once, but if I can get it running on Steam in Vista I'll do it again.

Can't freakin wait for IV!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 23, 2008, 06:00:57 PM

I might even have to try San Andreas once more.  I want to finish it, but the controls are atrocious and the game world is just too big.  Perhaps I can focus on the main missions and forget about the side missions, no matter how out-of-character that is for me, just to be able to finish the game and have a clean GTA slate for IV's release.

I finished it twice, once with 100% completion. I did the same thing with VC. I only completed GTA3 once, but if I can get it running on Steam in Vista I'll do it again.

Can't freakin wait for IV!

Problem I have now is that I've been away from the game for so long that I don't remember anything from the story.  Hopefully at least some of it will come back to me if I'm able to get back into the game.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »

crybaby

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

AND they took the video down.  Dammit.

gellar
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »

In GTA San Andreas, can you still keep playing the game after you finish the main story line? I'm still in the San Fiero missions;however, I am curious!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on April 23, 2008, 06:07:53 PM

In GTA San Andreas, can you still keep playing the game after you finish the main story line? I'm still in the San Fiero missions;however, I am curious!

I'm pretty sure you can. I'm really trying, but I can't remember clearly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 23, 2008, 06:06:53 PM

AND they took the video down.  Dammit.

gellar

I don't know if this is the same one that was on youtube, but there's a user movie on gametrailers that's still up.  I'm only 3 minutes into the 9:30 long video, and there don't seem to be any plot spoilers.  Just Niko running around the city causing mayhem.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 23, 2008, 06:05:47 PM

crybaby

Aw man.... Condolences icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »

Ooh, I heard some Pumpkins in there, nice.

I'm most likely going to break down and buy a PS3 for this.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2008, 06:33:05 PM

I don't know if this is the same one that was on youtube, but there's a user movie on gametrailers that's still up.  ....

I just finished watching that. There are no storyline spoilers at all, but it does give you a good idea of how it looks in motion, and shows off a few of the little touches that seem to be improvments over the prior versions.

Overall...I like what I'm seeing. smile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »

Quote from: Booner on April 23, 2008, 06:50:46 PM

I don't know if this is the same one that was on youtube, but there's a user movie on gametrailers that's still up.  ....

I just finished watching that. There are no storyline spoilers at all, but it does give you a good idea of how it looks in motion, and shows off a few of the little touches that seem to be improvments over the prior versions.

The youtube video was higher quality but showed less variety. Definitely liking what I am seeing. How can I wait 6 more days? It's simply not possible!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »

Better start being careful, though, if you want to avoid spoilers.  The guy that made that video also has one out of the game intro.  I think I might need to go media blackout pretty soon.

But not yet!  IGN's got more info on the multiplayer game modes.

Free Mode.  Sixteen players doing whatever the hell they want.

Good times will be had.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2008, 06:42:23 PM

crybaby

really crappy timing.  im gonna have to take my GF's 360 back and make her wait till i get my elite fixed.

is that wrong?   icon_twisted

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »

The motorcycle parts were... awesome.

gellar
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2008, 07:18:10 PM »

crybaby

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2008, 07:21:20 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 23, 2008, 07:12:31 PM

crybaby

really crappy timing.  im gonna have to take my GF's 360 back and make her wait till i get my elite fixed.

It's GTA IV, there is no wrong  nod

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2008, 07:21:20 PM

Quote from: WalkingFumble on April 23, 2008, 07:12:31 PM

crybaby
It's GTA IV, there is no wrong  nod

CeeKay, you're a gaming whore. (and a really ugly one at that...) slywink

That being said, I heartily agree. Take her 360; if she denies you sex, you'll still have GTA IV to keep your hands busy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2008, 07:03:26 PM

Better start being careful, though, if you want to avoid spoilers.  The guy that made that video also has one out of the game intro.  I think I might need to go media blackout pretty soon.

But not yet!  IGN's got more info on the multiplayer game modes.

Free Mode.  Sixteen players doing whatever the hell they want.

Good times will be had.

Ok I changed my mind about exploring the SP first. MP here I come! Hark, be gentle!

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »

IGN quote that made me spit my drink..

"And, like most of the other modes in GTA IV multiplayer, is puts a premium on teamwork. Eight individuals doing their own thing leads to failure. Success comes to those who communicate and work together. You know, the stuff Xbox Live is famous for."

hahahah!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »

I know we have Purge's great friend-of-friend network to use, but might we want to start a GTA specific friends group on Live to make multiplayer matchups easier?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 23, 2008, 02:29:59 AM

Quote from: Ridah on April 23, 2008, 02:13:03 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2008, 01:26:56 AM

Quote from: Turtle on April 23, 2008, 01:24:54 AM

It's sad, but the first thing I'll actually be doing is jumping in on some of the multiplayer modes.

I'll probably be doing the same thing.  I imagine everyone will get bombarded by invites as soon as they log in that night.

I don't see that happening, I think most of us will want to become acclimated with the new controls first and experience a few missions before braving the online front.
I'll also be going straight to MP.  How would you not see it happening when the two posts preceding yours and the one following all say they are? slywink
Straight to Multiplayer since Hark will have a game hosted and in progress by the time i get home with it....he ALWAYS does...argh!
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 23, 2008, 04:10:12 PM

I hate you all.  And the dreaded forum effect.

I had no intentions of picking this game up as I've been burned out on the GTA series as well as the basic GTA formula for some time.  I tried getting back into San Andreas recently and just couldn't do it.  The Godfather was a lot of fun, but as with San Andreas, I burned out on the gameplay before I was able to finish the game.  Poor aiming controls and camera issues have always frustrated me.

And then I make the "mistake" of following the progress of this thread.  And GTA IV has gone from a "perhaps I'll pick it up someday once the bad taste left in my mouth from previous GTA games and clones wears off" to "bloody hell I'll be waiting at midnight at my local Best Buy." 

Damn you, forum effect.  Damn you. 

Day 1 purchase for me.  And I might even take a sick day as well.   icon_eek  That has never happened before. 

You're on my team, we can out cuss the other team every time!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2008, 08:04:05 PM »

Watching that gameplay video reminded me of the first time I ever loaded up GTA3.  I had picked up a PS2 and Devil May Cry to go along with a new 32" CRT television.  I had never owned my own video game console (they were always my brother's "thing"), but I had heard so much about GTA3 and had to finally see what all of the hype was about.

I was in awe.  The visuals, the open-world gameplay, the storylines, free-roaming, the attention to detail, the voice acting, the unique world to explore, the ability to do what I wanted when I wanted, it was all like nothing I had ever seen before.  I played the game from start to finish and was a little disappointed when it was all over.  But what an amazing ride it was.  Each mission opening up more of the story, each street had its own unique feel, each character had a personality all its own.  I was entranced throughout the entire experience.    \

i came late to the gta world.  my first experience with a truly open ended game was Morrowind and I felt much the same way.  i think i passed out from excitement about 10 minutes into the game after i realized i could stray off the road from town and head off in any direction i wanted.  no locked corridor doors behind me, no contrived cave-ins blocking the path behind me, no cut scene telling me what had just happened and what i was supposed to do next.  it was such a paradigm change in the way video games had been presented to me in the past that it was an incredible experience.  i hope gta4 brings some of that same "shock and awe" to the table next tuesday!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »

Fumble don't put it on the carpet!  smile    ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on April 23, 2008, 08:02:05 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on April 23, 2008, 04:10:12 PM

I hate you all.  And the dreaded forum effect.

I had no intentions of picking this game up as I've been burned out on the GTA series as well as the basic GTA formula for some time.  I tried getting back into San Andreas recently and just couldn't do it.  The Godfather was a lot of fun, but as with San Andreas, I burned out on the gameplay before I was able to finish the game.  Poor aiming controls and camera issues have always frustrated me.

And then I make the "mistake" of following the progress of this thread.  And GTA IV has gone from a "perhaps I'll pick it up someday once the bad taste left in my mouth from previous GTA games and clones wears off" to "bloody hell I'll be waiting at midnight at my local Best Buy." 

Damn you, forum effect.  Damn you. 

Day 1 purchase for me.  And I might even take a sick day as well.   icon_eek  That has never happened before. 

You're on my team, we can out cuss the other team every time!

Profanity in stereo.

Nice.   icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:32:39 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 23, 2008, 06:53:24 PM

The youtube video was higher quality but showed less variety. Definitely liking what I am seeing. How can I wait 6 more days? It's simply not possible!
\
dead.  damnit.  come on guys, leave this stuff up.  it's not like they are getting any $ from it. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 23, 2008, 08:24:06 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on April 23, 2008, 06:53:24 PM

\
dead.  damnit.  come on guys, leave this stuff up.  it's not like they are getting any $ from it. 

Here you go.

Spoiler warning HAMBURGERS
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 23, 2008, 07:29:47 PM

OK, Mister 'Gone Angsty over a Backlog of 10 Games', but you're one too, and at least unlike you I'm prettier than Ma from Goonies  Tongue

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2008, 09:10:55 PM

Quote from: Purge on April 23, 2008, 07:29:47 PM

OK, Mister 'Gone Angsty over a Backlog of 10 Games', but you're one too, and at least unlike you I'm prettier than Ma from Goonies  Tongue

Hey hey come on now.  Let's save the infighting for when we can settle things fair and square: through helicopter races or city bus demolition derbies.  Alternately: city bus races and helicopter demolition derbies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2008, 09:16:53 PM

Hey hey come on now.  Let's save the infighting for when we can settle things fair and square: through helicopter races or city bus demolition derbies.  Alternately: city bus races and helicopter demolition derbies.

City bus races! I'm starting to think I may need to call a doctor after all.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

That video had some awesome stuff.  I loved when he went over the bridge and slammed into the barrier, killing himself.  Good to know running into things at  high speeds on a bike can be fatal.

Also loved when he hit the pimp with his car, then saw a Harley parked down the block, so pulls over to take the bike.  He puts on the helmet (learned from last time, apparently) and is about to take off, when the pimp comes up, yanks him off the bike, and beats him unconscious.  The best part of the fight is at the end when Niko falls down, his legs and the pimps get tangled up, and the pimp gets tripped and falls too.  If that's not a scripted animation, it's pretty awesome.

I totally can't wait for this game.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »

The description of how the Free mode matches start sounds really fun to me.  I'm pretty sure that it will take less than 1 second for this crew to start shooting each other however.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 23, 2008, 09:55:39 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on April 23, 2008, 09:52:06 PM

The description of how the Free mode matches start sounds really fun to me.  I'm pretty sure that it will take less than 1 second for this crew to start shooting each other however.

Well DUH!  Tongue

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »

Due to my newfound appreciation for multiplayer gaming and the very interesting previews I went ahead and took advantage of the Gamestop trade-in deal and preordered for a reasonable $30.  So I am...IN!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »

I feel bad for TML and Depward, they won't be able to play with us on their PS3s.

So, shall we say Tuesday night we put the MP through it's paces?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:29:40 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:08 PM »

You know, lately I've been a sucker for anything "special edition", but ultimately I wind up with just more crap to take up space on my shelf.  Do I really need a safe deposit box and a duffel bag advertisting my video game obsession?  Not really.  Odds are I may just go with the game itself.  Especially since I can preorder the regular game and take advantage of in-store pick-up on release day (the same option doesn't exist for the special edition).  I might just preorder and stroll in at my leisure on release day and enjoy some car-jacking goodness that evening after work.  I won't even have to go through a checkout line. 

EDIT:  Succumbing to the forum effect is now officially complete.  Preorder placed with Best Buy for in-store pick-up.  I am so weak.  But damn will Tuesday night be fun.  At least now when I get an invite from Hark I'll actually have the game. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:16:53 AM by PeteRock » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 23, 2008, 10:26:31 PM

I feel bad for TML and Depward, they won't be able to play with us on their PS3s.

So, shall we say Tuesday night we put the MP through it's paces?

Oh, it'll be fine.  I'll trade being able to play with my brother over taking the chance of having Live being down or a 360 getting a RROD any day.

Well, it's not like I have a choice, anyway Tongue

I'm looking forward to the inevitable PS3 v 360 comparisons.  Those are always fun.

Oh, and I guess I'll add that just like PeteRock, the Forum Effect has owned me.  I always swear off GTA games...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:30:05 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2008, 12:28:32 AM »

Quote from: Goonch on April 23, 2008, 06:07:53 PM

i just loaded up San Andreas a couple days ago and finished the last few missions, so i can confirm that the game drops you right back at your grove street house as soon as the final cutscene and credits are done.  that was the first time i've played a GTA game in almost two years, and it's still every bit as awesome as i remembered icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2008, 01:17:12 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 24, 2008, 12:18:43 AM

I always swear off GTA games...

I did too, then people kept on posting about it, sites did previews, the will began breaking down....

DAMN THE INTRAWEB!!!!!!!!

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2008, 01:24:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2008, 01:17:12 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 24, 2008, 12:18:43 AM

I always swear off GTA games...

I did too, then people kept on posting about it, sites did previews, the will began breaking down....

DAMN THE INTRAWEB!!!!!!!!

Same here.  Was out out out... then read some stuff, kept up with the thread, PS3 VERSION GET thanks a bundle peeps

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: