http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:29:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General 360 Questions  (Read 3661 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 02:16:18 PM »

Go 720p

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »

Thanks for the help guys.  If you have the time, can you take a look at this and let me know if this sounds right or not.  I appreciate it.

This is a post taken from the OpSports forums regarding NBA 2k6 for the x360 and the contrast between 1080i and 720p :

"Well, they're not exactly the same. The way i understand it is that at 720p, you get 720 horizontal lines drawn every frame. So if your media runs 30fps, you get 720 lines drawn on the screen simultaneously and stay on the screen for a full 1/30 of a second. If it were 60fps, you get 720 lines displayed 60 times a second.

1080 interlaced means that there are 1080 horizontal lines drawn (higher res), but they aren't displayed on the screen simultaneously. Instead, they're interlaced, or every other line is drawn simultaneously. In other words, half the lines are displayed for 1/60 of a second, then the other half are displayed for the other 1/60 of a second, alternating. Your brain then puts it together. this is not to be confused with 540p, which is something else...

Just ignore all that. the bottom line is that, technically, 720p should look more fluid, while 1080i should have higher visual quality, especially if your media isn't moving along very quickly. So, for example, i think ESPN is broadcasting in 720p instead of 1080i. Anyway, if you're moving at 30fps, 1080i would be the way to go. At higher frame rates, 720p should be your choice.

However, i'm playing it at 1080i, because i'm pretty sure this game isn't moving at 60fps. I could be wrong. I've tried them both, and the results are pretty much as predicted: 1080i looks sharper, while 720p seems like it runs more smoothly. Your choice. The difference either way really isn't noticeable unless you're looking, and even then there's not that much of a difference."

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »

Thats pretty accurate from what I understand of 720p and 1080i.  Unless, you really know what to look for the average user won't notice the difference

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2005, 03:39:01 PM »

I doubt you'll be able to tell much of a difference between the modes, unless you are looking really, really closely.  I don't have the choice, since my TV won't do 720p, just 1080i.  The picture quality is pretty good though, so I'm happy.  

Anyone try using the 360 as DVD player?  I popped in a disc this morning, and my first thought was the sound quality wasn't as good as my cheap Sony DVD player.  It could have been the DVD, or me being half asleep too, but something just sounded off.  I'm hoping to just use the 360 as the DVD player (saving one of my component hookups).  I'm assuming the 360 is playing DVDs in progressive scan?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »

The wireless controller has a battery life of up to 25 hours on the NiMH rechargeable battery pack (optional and recommended)

This is from Wikipedia... looks like I can use my NiMH rechargeable batteries in the wireless.  Given my nature though - "belt and suspenders" type - I'm still a-feared of trying them! :roll:

Has anyone tried this yet - you know, someone braver than I am? :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: