http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War/Multiplayer N00bz Look Here/Link to Friday Night Game!  (Read 3876 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »

I had a great time with all of you last night.  We had some really good matches and it seemed pretty well balanced out.  ATB, you did great for your first time out.  You certainly picked it up a heckuva lot quicker than I did.

I got one Hammer of Dawn kill in (after destroying half the level with it) so I was satisfied.

I think I have some friends coming over for some local multiplay stuff so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play tonight.  But perhaps I can convince them to rotate in.   icon_twisted
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 01, 2006, 05:38:42 AM

Rocked some MP tonight with PeteRock, Jancelot and a new friend Gladguy.  Also got some in with Jarrodhk, Mmoriarty, papasmurf and someone else (edit: Ceekay) and someone else...

I was in that first game as well, and I don't recall if Philly Boy Jim was playing then (a friend of mine from, you guessed it, Philly, who also relocated to Phoenix), but he had to cut out after a few matches.  The winning team in the early games seemed to be dependent on how quickly papasmurf was able to find the sniper rifle.  The 4-on-4 matches were great fun, and it was fun to play with people willing to try to utilize at least some strategy, communicating positions, and working together toward a win.  What I found most entertaining was either being the last man standing on my team and fighting for my life, or watching players like papasmurf take on three enemies and still come out with his cranium in tact. 

I got pwned more than I pwned- especially in the 4x4, but I began to pick it up quickly.

Like many of us, you jumped in with a bunch of experienced players, and while in the beginning you struggled (as we all did our first few rounds), you inevitably pick up the nuances of the game rather quickly.  It's hella tough at first, but after you get that first chainsaw kill, everything seems to fall into place shortly after.  My first multiplayer match was played with JarrodHK, papasmurf, M Moriarty, and a few others, and I was lucky to survive more than 4.2 seconds in the first few rounds.  But, before long I was holding my own and occasionally finding myself near the top of the leaderboard.

2x2 was a hoot too. Lotsa killin.  Pete and Jance are a great team.

Now that was great fun.  The earlier session helped you to get the hang of the game, and once you and Gladguy started to click as a team, the matches were pretty intense and well-matched.  Jancelot and I have played games like GRAW together, and we've gotten pretty good about communicating and developing some semblance of strategy on the run.  So even though we may not be as accurate with our aim or as skilled with the chainsaw (**cough**Jancelot**cough**), our ability to work together slightly made up for our unrefined skills.  Last night some of our strategies worked surprisingly well (sometimes using one as sort of a decoy while the other finds an advantageous position to take out unsuspecting foes - although I wasn't a big fan of being the bait, especially when I'd find myself pinned down by two enemies and Jancelot was picking daisies or jamming his gun while reloading  icon_wink).  But we really tried to work together and take more of a Boondock Saints approach than straight up Rambo. 

I do recall one specific instance when ATB and Gladguy put together an amazing flanking maneuver that took us completely by surprise.  Jancelot and I were going after both ATB and Gladguy head-on, and as we were exchanging cover fire and Jancelot was about to rush a pinned-down enemy, we lost sight of the other and Jancelot suggested that I flank left.  Well, it seems that ATB and Gladguy were one step ahead of us, because as I turned to head left I found a warmed-up chainsaw being stuffed down my maw before I was even able to take one sip of my apertif, and before my last gasping breath I heard Jancelot's faint screams as he, too, met his demise.

I also recall an instance when ATB and I were the final two warriors left on the battlefield, I was armed with the sniper rifle and had him dead to rights, only to find that battle fatigue had begun to effect my accuracy, and after numerous missed opportunities, when I finally decided to rush his position and hoped to take him by surprise, I instead was force fed yet another warmed-up chainsaw while I am sure the rest of the teammates were screaming at their respective TVs wondering how I was able to blow such an opportunity.

Tip:  Shotgun>Chainsaw in most close quarters situations unless I'm the one with the shotgun  retard

I definitely developed some love for the shotgun.  Especially when being rushed up close, when I would be treated to a shower of body parts and blood anytime an enemy would get too close.  I also enjoyed the Wookie Bowcaster with the exploding arrows.  The first time I used it I charged it up and shot an enemy, waiting to see what would happen more out of curiosity than anything else, and as I was about to wonder what the point of the weapon was, I watched as the enemy exploded into a shower of red glory.  Definitely a fun little toy.

Another enteraining moment was when Jancelot and I were playing against ATB and Gladguy at the fuel depot, and Jancelot was armed with the Hammer of Dawn.  If I remember correctly, ATB and I eventually met in the afterlife to watch as Jancelot and Gladguy attempted to finish each other off.  Jancelot seemed hell-bent on using the Hammer of Dawn to win the game, but Gladguy proved rather agile and dodged all of Jancelot's attacks.  Well, except for the last one, when he must have found himself with less room to run than he had anticipated, and ATB and I watched in complete awe as the satellite's death ray turned Gladguy from original recipe to extra crispy.

It was a fun night of friendly competition and good sportsmanship, and I look forward to the next opportunity when we all meet again on the battlefield. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 01, 2006, 04:38:59 PM

I think I have some friends coming over for some local multiplay stuff so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play tonight.  But perhaps I can convince them to rotate in.   icon_twisted

If they've never played Gears of War or haven't yet seen multiplayer in action, it will be hard to convince them not to rotate in.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »

Yes, that Hammer of Dawn kill was a good match of cat and mouse.  I was out in the open and he was in the hanger door.  I heard the distinctive sounds of the HoD targetting me.  I flanked to the right, apparently he flanked to the left and we effectively swapped positions.  It was then that I unleashed the Fury(tm)!

Er, I'd like to report a defective chainsaw, anyone have the customer support number?  ATB, you certainly did pwn with yours, though.

I don't know if any of you have tried the Assasination mode but it's a fun, slight variant on standard deathmatch.  One member on each team (the point leader) is the Captain.  If he's killed then you lose no matter how many other team members are alive.  At the same time he's the only one who can pick up weapons.  However, he can then drop them for other team members to pick up, though. 

I was involved in a great match where it was down to the leader and me vs. the other leader.   I took point and had spotted him.  I was dodging between cover when I came around a corner looking down stairs with multiple cover options and no sight of him.  I worked my way up checking each spot.  But at the end of the stairs I chose the wrong corner to peak around.  I turned around just in time to see him sneaking behind me and running towards my leader who had his back turned checking our flank.  My leader barely had time to spin around before the chainsaw split him in two.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 01, 2006, 04:38:59 PM

I had a great time with all of you last night.  We had some really good matches and it seemed pretty well balanced out.  ATB, you did great for your first time out.  You certainly picked it up a heckuva lot quicker than I did.

I got one Hammer of Dawn kill in (after destroying half the level with it) so I was satisfied.

Don't forget you can play splitscreen and still join us for multiplayer.  Just should make sure both people that are on one tv are on same team.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »

Fantastic game tonight, at least as long as I was in it.  PeteRock is getting to be a deadly force with that shotgun and with the sniper rifle, but I was (just barely) keeping up.  We had some great 3-on-3 action, and some pretty good 2-on-1s as well, with the shorthanded side (whether it was me or PeteRock) scoring some fantastic kills.  I can't stress enough how much this is my multiplayer GOTY, and I highly urge any GTers who are even a little hesitant about multiplayer (for whatever reason) to at least dip their toes in the pool.  It's absolutely fantastic.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »

I had one of my all time great gaming moments to end the evening:

Game was set to whomever gets 5 wins wins the match (much better than the default 3 btw).  We are in teams of 3 and our strategy had been working almost perfectly for the previous 4 or so rounds...a team of two goes high and I maintain rearguard.  Pete got a nice shotgun blast to the face to finish him from yours truly at least 3 times in a row using this strategy. (By the way, right now, in my two nights of experience, Pete is my number one rival. Some AMAZING 1 on 1 duels <where he usually wins>. Also, he's amazing when he's outnumbered).

Anyway, the otherside decided enough of this and bull rushed my two teammates and down they go.

I'm all on my lonesome, 1 on 3 with the match on the line.  Time to head outside or I'm dead. I take cover behind some broken walls in a kind of out of the way place.  Soon, Pete comes to find me.  He misses my cover point so I sneak behind him KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM.  Down he goes.

Back to cover.

Next guy comes out from the same direction with nearly the same result.

Final guy comes out from the other side with the sniper rifle equipped.  BAM he tags me in the shoulder.  I grab cover and heal up.  I move to catch him on the right flank.  Meantime he's moving to catch me on my left.  We meet in the middle, him still with the sniper rifle equipped.  KA BOOM KA BOOM KABOOM. Down he goes. I alone am left standing.  HUZZAH!

2:40 AM time for bed.

WOW.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »

I agree that some of the best moments in GoW are when it is down to 1-1 or 2-1 situations with the match on the line.  Knowing that your 3 teammates are watching also adds a little excitement to it.  It kind of reminds me of the old Counterstrike days except GoW is much more accessable and noob friendly.

I think the revive/curb stomp mechanic also adds alot of strategic choices to the game.  The multiplayer is subtley well designed and much deeper than it first appears, without being hard for new people to get into.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »

I had fun last night.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 02, 2006, 12:59:02 PM

Game was set to whomever gets 5 wins wins the match (much better than the default 3 btw).  We are in teams of 3 and our strategy had been working almost perfectly for the previous 4 or so rounds...a team of two goes high and I maintain rearguard.  Pete got a nice shotgun blast to the face to finish him from yours truly at least 3 times in a row using this strategy. (By the way, right now, in my two nights of experience, Pete is my number one rival. Some AMAZING 1 on 1 duels <where he usually wins>. Also, he's amazing when he's outnumbered).

Anyway, the otherside decided enough of this and bull rushed my two teammates and down they go.

I'm all on my lonesome, 1 on 3 with the match on the line.  Time to head outside or I'm dead. I take cover behind some broken walls in a kind of out of the way place.  Soon, Pete comes to find me.  He misses my cover point so I sneak behind him KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM. KA-BOOM.  Down he goes.

Back to cover.

Final guy comes out from the other side with the sniper rifle equipped.  BAM he tags me in the shoulder.  I grab cover and heal up.  I move to catch him on the right flank.  Meantime he's moving to catch me on my left.  We meet in the middle, him still with the sniper rifle equipped.  KA BOOM KA BOOM KABOOM. Down he goes. I alone am left standing.  HUZZAH!

WOW.

Oh man, wish I had been there to see that.  I got booted way before that and couldn't seem to get back.  Not sure how you look for a specific multi match anyway.  But I had fun being the worst player on Live last night.  Thanks for the invite.  Would love to do it again some time soon. 

Really wish I had seen  your save of the match all by yourself.  Those last man standing moments are pretty intense and just as much fun to watch play out as actually play them I think. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »

Argh.  I'm sorry I bailed so early.  I was having a blast (get it? blast? LOL!).

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 02, 2006, 12:59:02 PM

Back to cover.

WOW.

I had a few memorable highlights last night as well.  I recall one round of matches when we were down 4-0, and were able to regroup, develop a better strategy, and wound up coming out on top 5-4.  One of the most memorable come-backs I've ever experienced in video game history.

And like ATB, I, too, found myself in a 3-on-1 scenerio more often than I would have preferred, but there were times when I was able to somehow pull out a win by utilizing Locust agility and pinpoint accuracy (translation: ridiculous good luck).  During one round when I was facing overwhelming odds, I managed to score a headshot on one of my unsuspecting enemies with the sniper rifle, and the other two were introduced to my shotgun shortly thereafter.

But when it comes to rivalries, I would say any of the ATB/PeteRock cat-and-mouse matches would certainly qualify.  Anytime the two of us were left standing, you were almost sure to have a match practically run down to the final few seconds as we hunted each other like dogs, developing strategies on the run, and attempting to counter strategies obviously being employed by the prey.  I did manage to prevail on a number of matches, but there were certainly times when ATB's chainsaw definitely got the better of me.  Fortunately the chainsaw makes a clean cut, so there was always plenty of the better of me to go around once he was finished.

This is potentially the only game I've played that brings out such an uncontrollable burst of emotion.  If I'm caught off guard and either sniped or chainsawed early in the match, I find myself shaking the controller and stomping my feet while screaming right along with my dying Locust video game persona.  Or if a game comes down to a tense showdown, such as the one-on-one cat-and-mouse scenerios, I find my pulse quickening, my breathing becoming shorter and faster, my stomach getting a little uneasy, and a noticable sense of tension as I know that my team's fate lies in my hands (as well as my character's life

Whenever I was on a team that was willing to employ strategy, we would have a wonderful series of rounds (up until our enemies would catch on), and it was great fun communicating, working together, and playing as a true team.  I love the team dynamic, and in a game like this if you try to fight alone, you usually wind up dying alone.  It was a night of great fun, and as always I'm looking forward to the next time we all can play together again.

It seems that ATB and I are developing quite the friendly rivalry, and I would love to see this continue.  It's nice to be able to accept differing viewpoints on topics such as religion, science, and evolution, but still be able to put all of that aside and get together for a nice, competitive game amongst friends.  You know, I never thought the day would come that I would utter such a phrase, but I think there is potential for ATB and I to become reasonable online friends.  The friendly rivalry is already there.

Thanks ATB for yet another night of exciting gameplay, riveting competition, and friendly rivalry.  We shall meet again, and I have already begun engraving your gamertag into my shotgun shells in anticipation of our next battle.  icon_twisted

And thanks to the rest of you as well who made an entertaining night of gaming even more fun.  The action was frantic, the competition tense, and the over all experience as visceral as it can get.  Until we all meet again on the battlefield.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2006, 04:19:22 AM »

So I was looking forward to my first GoW multiplayer match -- and ATB, we certainly tried!

For some reason, if I tried to join his game, I lost the connection to host.  Any chat attempts would just sit endlessly if started by me, or go from 'joining chat' and change to nothing if he started...

Anyone else seen this sort of behavior before?  I've not seen anything like it since trying to play Madden; though that I blamed on EAs servers. 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2006, 04:36:43 AM »

During the first of the matches I fought off the entire Locust team with a sniper rifle from the bottom of Elevation. It was probably my only moment that lived up to my standards, and it was fun. I was surprised the other team allowed it though-maybe because I got Kaigen early on the organization suffered.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2006, 06:46:09 AM »

Well, as much fun as last night was with GTers, this night was nearly no fun playing with the rest of the world.

You guys know what is to be encountered, so I won't rehash it. But man, lots of jerks in the world.

It was difficult not to be just as much of a jerk, but I kept my cool.

<sigh>
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2006, 07:10:43 AM »

Quote from: JLu on December 03, 2006, 04:19:22 AM

So I was looking forward to my first GoW multiplayer match -- and ATB, we certainly tried!

For some reason, if I tried to join his game, I lost the connection to host.  Any chat attempts would just sit endlessly if started by me, or go from 'joining chat' and change to nothing if he started...

Anyone else seen this sort of behavior before?  I've not seen anything like it since trying to play Madden; though that I blamed on EAs servers. 

I was having this issue the other night.  I disconnected my router, hooked my 360 directly to the cable modem and the issue went away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2006, 07:10:43 AM

I was having this issue the other night.  I disconnected my router, hooked my 360 directly to the cable modem and the issue went away.

Ah; y'know I have had repeated issues with my wireless router -- hadn't noticed it affecting XBox Live per se before; but it actually wouldn't be a shock.  I'll give that a shot next time; thanks!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2006, 07:10:43 AM

Quote from: JLu on December 03, 2006, 04:19:22 AM

I have this problem and I'm direct connection with no router. EVERY game I try to join (other than quick matches or invites) ends up losing connection to host.
GReat online game though.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: