http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:44:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War PC (Vista) video with new content  (Read 1825 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »

VE3D linked a video from gamevideos, which is also up on youtube.  I think it was supposed to be an E3 press release.

Anyway, it looks like Gears of War is coming to the PC, vista only of course.  But I can't quite tell, they mention that the video(s?) use some features only found in windows live.

However, it may not be that and instead it could be GoW2, or 1.5, so who knows.

The new content seems to fill in certain gaps, for example they finally show a fight with the Brumak, the big bipedal beast with all that weaponry strapped on its back.  You escape from one by taking the APC after the Mansion.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:35:33 PM »

Just watched it.  Awesome.  Would loved to have fought that Brumak in the console version.  What a tease to show it and then never fight it.  My biggest disappointment by far in that game. 

Looks good.  Hopefully, that content will be downloadable for the console version some day as a new pc to run that game is not happening.

Oh, and I found it by searching youtube 'gears of war pc'.  It was the first one shown.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:26:38 PM »

It looks REALLY good. I am about 95% sure this is Vista GOW, not GOW2-many locations are the same, even though you can only see them fleetingly. The brumak and other stuff added is awesome. This, Crysis, and a few other games will convince me to finally move to Vista (I was obviously a big GOW fan on 360!)
KiloOhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »

I don't think the controls will translate well to a PC. I would recommend getting an XBOX360 controller. Awesome game though.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »

Quote from: KiloOhm on July 07, 2007, 06:58:46 PM

I don't think the controls will translate well to a PC. I would recommend getting an XBOX360 controller. Awesome game though.

How do you figure?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »

I picked up a 360 controller a while back for racing games, so if the game has flimsy keyboard/mouse controls (which I don't think it will), I will have a fallback plan.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:02:22 PM by ROTC1983 » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »

I'm not sure if I'll ever get a 360, but GoW on the PC gives me one less reason to do so.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 02:22:30 AM »

Quote from: KiloOhm on July 07, 2007, 06:58:46 PM

It will translate fine as long as Epic(or whoever is doing the port) makes sure to tweak the controls for mouse and keyboard. I've played a number of 3rd person games on the PC and they controlled fine.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:21:48 AM »

Confirmed.

With level editor it seems and some new content.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »

Sweet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 11, 2007, 04:21:48 AM

With level editor it seems

now that will give the PC version some long legs.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »

Microsoft Game Studios is set to bring the critically acclaimed "Gears of War" to the Windows platform, which will support Games for Windows LIVE. "Gears of War" will emerge on Windows XP-based and Windows Vista-based PCs this holiday with five new campaign chapters, a new multiplayer mode and a new game editor that will unleash the creativity of "Gears of War" players only available for Windows. "Gears of War" will also take advantage of DirectX 10 graphics technology, which is only available on Windows Vista. Also today, Epic Games unveiled the addition of Games for Windows - LIVE integration to the award winning Unreal Engine 3. This landmark announcement will make it easier than ever for game developers using Epic's next-generation technology to take advantage of Microsoft's online gaming network.

Here are a few more fun facts:

Format: DVD-ROM for the Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP operating systems

Availability: Holiday 2007

Price: $49.99 (estimated retail price)

And of course, bulleted features!!11! Woo.

What's New?
      "Gears of War" will feature locations that are unique to the franchise and the genre. Players will encounter all their favorite foes from the Xbox 360 version; however, these intense encounters will take place in some new environments and allow players to manipulate the new game modes and technology found only in the Games for Windows title. Boasting three new multiplayer maps, a new multiplayer game type, Game Editor, five new campaign chapters and DirectX 10 support, "Gears of War," will challenge and push the limits of the PC gaming experience and provide an unparalleled visual presentation.

What's old?
      Movie-like cut scenes, cinematic camera moves and in-game storytelling bring the brutal, emotionally charged narrative to life. Gamers control Marcus Fenix and his fire team as they pit advanced technology against the overwhelming and horrific Locust Horde.

"Gears of War" will tap into the power of Games for Windows LIVE to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable gamers around the world to connect via their PCs, allowing players to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player Achievements, customize games and create personalized profiles.

Never Pay for a New Map Again
      The game will also feature the all-new Game Editor, guaranteeing new user-generated content in the future. The "Gears of War" community will be able to tap its endless creative potential to develop an unlimited number of user-created levels through complete access to the Unreal Editor. Using the new engine, players can now import custom artwork into the engine, create particle systems, scripted encounters, cinematics and more.

DX10 Support
      "Gears of War" ushers in the next generation with incredible visuals, pushing DirectX 10 visual designs and bringing out the smallest details in the largest battle. Gamers experience a rich, dynamic world with a supreme level of detail. Characters come to life with unbelievable model quality and a physics-integrated animation system that has them truly reacting intelligently to events unfolding around them.

Over-the-shoulder action
      In "Gears of War" the battlefield is a lethal place to foolishly stand out in the open is to invite an untimely demise. To survive, gamers must employ strategy, take cover using the interactive and dynamic environments, and suppress the enemy with blind fire, using their weapons and teammates to outwit and outfight their terrifying enemies.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »

Wonder how big those new chapters are.  The game only shipped with five chapters so that would almost double the content if they are similar length (doubtful).

The game did feel kind of like material had been removed so I wouldn't be surprised at all if these chapters were originally intended to be in the 360 version but were removed to make the ship date. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »

Oh yeah, you get your arse it was removed for time.

It was damn clear they were setting up a fight with the Brumak through the game, but they just didn't have time to finish it.  Hell, they had to cut a ton of story elements out of the game too.

MS Needed a shooter beween Halo 3 and release, Gears was it.

But if this is going to be the trend with 360 releases, I might as well buy a new PC and play all their exclusives on it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 06:02:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2007, 02:27:40 PM

Quote from: Turtle on July 11, 2007, 04:21:48 AM

With level editor it seems

now that will give the PC version some long legs.

Yeah it sure well, I am super stoked about this-I wonder if you can play against Xbox live players? I will deifnitely be picking this up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 05:49:05 PM

Wonder how big those new chapters are.  The game only shipped with five chapters so that would almost double the content if they are similar length (doubtful).

The game did feel kind of like material had been removed so I wouldn't be surprised at all if these chapters were originally intended to be in the 360 version but were removed to make the ship date. 

My guess is that they cut out roughly 20% content-so maybe 2.5 extra hours?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 06:07:25 PM »

It would be nice to see that new content show up on Live as a sort of expansion pack.  Not sure I have a PC to run this. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 06:19:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 06:07:25 PM

It would be nice to see that new content show up on Live as a sort of expansion pack.  Not sure I have a PC to run this. 

I think, to be blunt, that would be absolutely the decent thing to do-and knowing Epic I wouldn't be at all suprised if they pretty much said that that must happen-and Microsoft slapping it on for 1600 points or so.

Kevin, any idea about the Live PC-360 matchmaking?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 11, 2007, 06:19:36 PM

Haven't heard but I would be shocked if it was was available.  It doesn't strike me as something Epic would want and they seem to be pulling the strings on this- I fully believe they are why we are seeing this title on XP.  I would expect that MS pushed this for Vista only because it's a far more powerful title than Halo 2 or Shadowrun. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 06:23:22 PM

Quote from: Calvin on July 11, 2007, 06:19:36 PM

Haven't heard but I would be shocked if it was was available.  It doesn't strike me as something Epic would want and they seem to be pulling the strings on this- I fully believe they are why we are seeing this title on XP.  I would expect that MS pushed this for Vista only because it's a far more powerful title than Halo 2 or Shadowrun. 

Oh ok I see. Does shadowrun not have this cross platform connectivity? I may actually go back to Vista for Bioshock if the DX10 effects get good reviews, so I am curious about this live fro windows deal.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 06:34:19 PM »

Shadowrun does but I think that was kind of MS's showpiece and they control FASA a lot more than they do Epic.  So think they kind of put Shadowrun out there as a proof of concept hoping that other companies follow suit.  But the reaction to Shadowrun hasn't exactly been overwhelming so I expect it to be a token effort with most people ignoring this option. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 11, 2007, 06:34:19 PM

Shadowrun does but I think that was kind of MS's showpiece and they control FASA a lot more than they do Epic.  So think they kind of put Shadowrun out there as a proof of concept hoping that other companies follow suit.  But the reaction to Shadowrun hasn't exactly been overwhelming so I expect it to be a token effort with most people ignoring this option. 

Oh okkkay. Gotcha. hopefully more info coming soon.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »

Good news for PC gamers but not so much MS in terms of pushing Live on Vista. This could have been the first "must have" type title to get gamers to really look into it. Seems more and more like Live! on PC is never really going to go anywhere.
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »

I doubt any game which isn't designed from the start for cross platform multiplayer will ever have it.  So, I seriously doubt there will be cross-platform GoW gaming.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »

Did Star Wars Battlefront have cross console multiplayer? Kind of OT, but if they've done it before, they can do it again.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:34 AM »

I don't believe it did.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:57 AM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 12, 2007, 06:51:45 PM

Did Star Wars Battlefront have cross console multiplayer? Kind of OT, but if they've done it before, they can do it again.

Nope, all the online play was platform specific. I'd get excited about a PC version of  Gears of War except for 2 reasons:
1. When I played the SP on a friends X360 it did little or nothing for me; not nearly enough story for my tastes
2. It looks to be VISTA only which I have no immediate plans to upgrade to.

If Epic wants to join the ranks of dumb ass developers that make games for Vista only power to them, but I definitley won't tag along for that party.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 01:45:21 AM »

Gears is not Vista only.  It will run on XP.  And we probably should be thanking Epic for it- it's an MS funded and published game so my gut feeling is that Epic probably had to fight to get it onto XP.  I would think MS would have been leaning toward Vista only. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 11:22:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 13, 2007, 01:45:21 AM

Gears is not Vista only.  It will run on XP.  And we probably should be thanking Epic for it- it's an MS funded and published game so my gut feeling is that Epic probably had to fight to get it onto XP.  I would think MS would have been leaning toward Vista only. 

Well I guess it's good they're not getting caught up in MS's Games for Windows Games to Sell the Vista OS marketing debacle. But there's still my 1st point. I'm just not enough of an online player for a game like Gears to not be a rental, unfortunately you can't rent PC games anywhere in my city.
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »

Since it will not likely take advantage of Live for Windows, it's not required to be Vista only.  But if a game is going to want cross-platform multiplayer, it's going to have to be Vista only (since Live for Windows is only on Vista), like Shadowrun.

I'm not a big fan of making games restricted to one flavor of Windows, especially at a point where most people likely won't have that OS.  Personally, it seems like MS is trading having a well-selling game for having a very few people upgrade.  I might be tempted to upgrade for a game, but that better be one damn good game.  I upgraded a PC to play Diablo, and later on did the same for Diablo 2.  But aside from that, I can't think of any games which compelled me to upgrade.  I've upgraded a video card for games, but it was more from realizing it was finally time to do so, rather than doing it specificly for a game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: