http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:44:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War Patch This Week  (Read 1133 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »

Didn't see this anywhere (after looking briefly)

From the Epic Forums (thanks IkeV):

Quote from: Mark Rein

A Gears of War update should start pushing through the system at some point tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007 prior to the two new multiplayer maps being available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday January 10, 2007.

The maps, plus an introductory video featuring Gears designer Cliff Bleszinski, are free thanks to the kind sponsorship by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series which launches next Monday January 15th, 2007. Be sure to check out the show to see some really cool firepower. I expect game designers all across the country will be watching the Future Weapons series very carefully looking for ideas for their future games

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
• Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
• Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
• Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
• Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
• Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
• Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
• Added additional cheat detection code
• Additional housekeeping updates

My two favorites are the grenade tagging distance nerf and the fix for the audio!

W00t!

I don't understand this one:

• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser

Whas that mean besides the obvious. Why would/should the name be hidden?

Edit again: got it. so people can't team up with their friends...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:20:45 PM by ATB » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »

Yes, glad about that tag distance.  Pisses me off beyond no end when I get 'tagged' by a grenade when I'm not even close to the guy.  Halo 2 plasma grenade tagging is one thing... but GoW grenades aren't sticky like that.

So good deal - excited to try the new maps.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »

I'm looking forward to the 2 maps.  The one with the downed helicopter looks pretty sweet.  Looks like I'll have to practice up my shotgun skills since they nerfed the grenade tag.   :icon_sad:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »

Can someone tell me what 'weapon switching' is on the host options for player matches?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »

Since I finally got into some multiplayer in the past week, the changes don't mean a lot to me.  Were the grenades that bad?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »

http://gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=7918

With pictures. biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:47:26 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 08, 2007, 08:41:25 PM

Sorry KD. I did a page search for Gears...not GoW. I'm such a n00b.

Since I finally got into some multiplayer in the past week, the changes don't mean a lot to me.  Were the grenades that bad?

Yep. you could tag from the equivalent of probably 6 to 8 feet away making tagging almost indefensible.  Up for some playing friday night, Jlu? see the multiplayer gaming forum.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:48:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM

I'm looking forward to the 2 maps.  The one with the downed helicopter looks pretty sweet.  Looks like I'll have to practice up my shotgun skills since they fixed the grenade tag.   :icon_sad:

ninja  icon_smile

I'm very much looking forward to the new maps!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 08, 2007, 08:47:26 PM

Yep. you could tag from the equivalent of probably 6 to 8 feet away making tagging almost indefensible.  Up for some playing friday night, Jlu? see the multiplayer gaming forum.

Well you defended against it by getting the grenades first  :slywink:  You could also blow up the tagger by running into him after he tagged you.

I didn't think it was that bad but fixing it will definately change the way alot of people play.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 08, 2007, 08:47:26 PM

Ooph ok I could see that causing a problem.  In general I'd love to try to make a Friday -- this week I know it's out of the question since I'll be up in Montreal...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »

any news on the cost of the new maps?

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:10:49 PM »

free, apparently

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:12:06 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 08, 2007, 10:10:49 PM

free, apparently

I am cool with that......  OH and as far as the patch goes A+ for fixing the voice bug.  It sucks to be in games and only be able to hear what your team is saying......

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 01:04:49 AM »

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I am so excited about the two new maps, they sound and look insanely good. I wish there were more matchmaking changes, but on the other hand I do like what they have cleaned up, so I am very happy!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 02:36:17 AM »

Beginning January 10, grab these two new multiplayer maps for Gears of Warฎ, available as a free download from Xbox Liveฎ Marketplace. These exclusive Gears of War levels are made possible by the Discovery Channel's "FutureWeapons."

Full story at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0108-gowmappacks.htm

If I remember correctly we were talking about something else being sponsored by another company.  Personally I am happy that things are getting sponsored and I get the free download

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

So how will the mission based maps work?
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 03:23:29 AM »

no clue

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 03:27:21 AM »

I'm just glad to see somebody address (and fix) the damn 4:3 VGA problem!  This issue is in multiple games now and Epic are the first people I've seen actually acknowledge it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 04:45:01 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 09, 2007, 02:36:17 AM

If I remember correctly we were talking about something else being sponsored by another company.  Personally I am happy that things are getting sponsored and I get the free download

It was EA and the old jerseys or something I think.

But c'mon now, it's not like it's the sponsorship that is magically making this free.  Epic has a history of providing free post release content and between 2.7 million copies of Gears sold along with publisher MS's deep pockets, it's not like they wouldn't have been able to afford to give it away if Discovery didn't sponsor icon_wink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 05:00:31 AM »

Actually, it was sponsored by the Discovery Channel of all things.

Quote from: denoginizer on January 08, 2007, 08:53:04 PM

Well you defended against it by getting the grenades first  :slywink:  You could also blow up the tagger by running into him after he tagged you.

I didn't think it was that bad but fixing it will definately change the way alot of people play.

The problem with the grenades was that a guy using the grenades all he had to do was roadie run and dodge/roll everywhere and the moment he got near you he could instantly tag you with a grenade and that's pretty much a guaranteed kill.  This meant that players could pretty much run straight at you, rolling, roadie running and the moment he got within range he tagged you and you were dead.  No defense, especially in the more close quarters maps.

Once tagged, more often than not you didn't have time to follow the tagger since he'd roll away and go into another roadie run, and with the crazy range of the grenade tag it was even easier.  So with two grenades, that's near two easy kills and that's a lot for a 4v4 game.

Getting the grenades first should have to be the only tactic to defeat grenade tags.  Every other melee attack method can be countered.  The chainsaw attack can be interrupted if the weilder is shot while revving up, putting him into a short daze, not to mention the time it takes for the chainsaw to kill.  Even the basic melee hit can be interrupted, and the melee attack needs 2 hits to down, and a third to kill.  Both those melee attacks also require some amount of aiming still.  The grenade tag can hit anything at pretty good range for melee.  It works if the opponent tries to roll away or to the side.  Works instantly the moment you come out of the roadie run or roll, and doesn't require aiming to tag.  Nor can it be interrupted by gunfire.

I think simply allowing a grenade tag to be interrupted and shortening the range would have been a good enough fix.  This way if he tries to come at you straight on simple rifle fire will prevent the tag.  But if he comes from behind, well you were dead anyway.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 05:08:30 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 09, 2007, 04:45:01 AM

Quote from: papasmurff on January 09, 2007, 02:36:17 AM

It was EA and the old jerseys or something I think.

But c'mon now, it's not like it's the sponsorship that is magically making this free.  Epic has a history of providing free post release content and between 2.7 million copies of Gears sold along with publisher MS's deep pockets, it's not like they wouldn't have been able to afford to give it away if Discovery didn't sponsor icon_wink

Very Very few things are free on live.  I could probably count on one hand the number of free map downloads that are offered.  I have heard before that it isn't the game companies that determine how expensive the downloads are, but it is MS.  I would be willing to bet that the only reason that it is free is because of the sponsorship I mean 2.7 million copies x 400 MS pt (roughly $5.00)=13.5 Million Max profit........  No way they give that away.....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:21:24 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 05:30:33 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 09, 2007, 05:08:30 AM

[No way they give that away.....

It's a question of customer loyalty- that argument can made to every single thing that companies release for free but the counter argument is that by releasing some content free of charge you create an additional perception of value than you otherwise would. 

Discovery isn't paying $13 million, 5 million, or maybe even $1 million to make up for the "potential revenue"- Superbowl ads are cheaper than all but the last and get a helluva lot more exposure than presenting GoW maps.    But by featuring this sponsorship MS and EA is drilling it in people's heads that they should be grateful for the sponsors because otherwise they would have to charge or their poor developers might go hungry.  And that tactic seems to be working unfortunately. 
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 05:49:01 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 09, 2007, 05:30:33 AM

Quote from: papasmurff on January 09, 2007, 05:08:30 AM

[No way they give that away.....

It's a question of customer loyalty- that argument can made to every single thing that companies release for free but the counter argument is that by releasing some content free of charge you create an additional perception of value than you otherwise would. 

Discovery isn't paying $13 million, 5 million, or maybe even $1 million to make up for the "potential revenue"- Superbowl ads are cheaper than all but the last and get a helluva lot more exposure than presenting GoW maps.    But by featuring this sponsorship MS and EA is drilling it in people's heads that they should be grateful for the sponsors because otherwise they would have to charge or their poor developers might go hungry.  And that tactic seems to be working unfortunately. 

I agree with your argument.  I know that they aren't paying that much for it.  I am just happy that we are getting the content free, or atleast on someone else's buck....

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 06:00:16 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 09, 2007, 05:49:01 AM

I agree with your argument.  I know that they aren't paying that much for it.  I am just happy that we are getting the content free, or atleast on someone else's buck....

Don't get me wrong, free content is great.  I just don't believe that they would have charged if they couldn't get a sponsor.  I think it would have been free regardless but by going the sponsor route they create the perception that that was the only way they could afford to give away the content. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: