http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:26:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War Broken?  (Read 1560 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:51 AM »

Ike and I were gonna play coop tonight. I can't start a new game in SP either coop or regular.

There are also NO games going on to join in MP land.

Any news?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:41:49 AM »

Rich LaPorte?

(runs away...)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 03:49:16 AM »

Xbox Live is FUBAR right now....

Seriously, they are "working on it" or so Major Nelson says in his comments section...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:53:38 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 04:16:40 AM »

Yup; Fyedaddy and I had a hockey game scheduled tonight, that's borked too. The Live arcade titles we tried had the same problem.

Ah well; considering how absolutely rare downtime has been since I got my 360, I can forgive the occasional issue like this. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:21:01 AM »

Yeah, but neither ATB nor I could even play SINGLE player.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 04:53:02 AM »

oh dear god.  For shits and giggles I was just looking at the XBL forums-  there are people throwing massive temper tantrums, threatening law suits and acting like Bill Gates just raped Baby Jesus on prime time TV.  It'd be humorous if it wasn't so pathetic.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 05:34:07 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 28, 2006, 04:21:01 AM

Yeah, but neither ATB nor I could even play SINGLE player.

Unplug your network cable or wireless adaptor.

If Gears still doesn't work look up the procedure for clearing the 360's cache and then refuse the update for Gears when you fire it up next.

Singleplayer should work fine. You can update again whenever Live is back up and running the way it's supposed to be.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 05:59:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 28, 2006, 04:53:02 AM

oh dear god.  For shits and giggles I was just looking at the XBL forums-  there are people throwing massive temper tantrums, threatening law suits and acting like Bill Gates just raped Baby Jesus on prime time TV.  It'd be humorous if it wasn't so pathetic.

Sounds just like when WoW goes down. Yeesh.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »

glad that xbox live has gone down last night when i have been in work,and not next week when i am off for a week finger

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 06:36:38 AM »

<hides wire cutters>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 07:58:07 AM »

Alternatively, you can create a second offline profile.  You'll lose your saved games, but you can at least play.  That's how bad my Gears of War jones got today.

Actually, it's worse than that.  Since there was no sort of notification that the problem was caused by XBox Live, I assumed that the fact that I couldn't load my single player campaign was caused by a faulty save game file (Yeah, I know, it's reaching, but why on Earth would I think that XBox Live, an online service, was responsible for the fact that I couldn't load a local, single player game?) so I deleted my saved games.

It's not THAT huge a tragedy, really.  I've only had the game since Saturday, and I was actually thinking today how nice it would be to restart the campaign now that I actually have some rudimentary skills.  However, the fact that the game needs to log into XBox Live just to play single player mode is pretty dang stupid.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on December 28, 2006, 07:58:07 AM

However, the fact that the game needs to log into XBox Live just to play single player mode is pretty dang stupid.

It's probably because of the Achievement tracking.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

I couldnt EVEN play UNO last night folks. UNO!!!! crybaby

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »

Unlikely. Achievements get applied to your profile, regardless of online status.

It is more likely that the game goes online as you can invite people to your game. It would be easier to have the game always assume online status than to program it to differenciate from a SP game rather than a potential coop game. (I've never tried inviting someone whist playing an SP game; I believe it is identical as you get a "tutorials will no longer run" message when the coop person joins in though).

It would stand to reason that the coop game (select mp / coop / private live) is identical to going into single player campaign as far as the game is concerned.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 02:28:43 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on December 28, 2006, 07:58:07 AM

Actually, it's worse than that.  Since there was no sort of notification that the problem was caused by XBox Live, I assumed that the fact that I couldn't load my single player campaign was caused by a faulty save game file

Me too so I tried to start a new campaign.  It didn't take and I knew something was up.  I hope my original campaign on Insane is still in tact.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »

Oof.  There will be a lot of pissed off people if that's not the case.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 06:51:45 PM »

Wait a second. Gears of War requires an internet connection just to play the SP campaign? If so, that gets a big 50 DKP MINUS in my book. Are all 360 games like that or just this one?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 28, 2006, 06:51:45 PM

Wait a second. Gears of War requires an internet connection just to play the SP campaign? If so, that gets a big 50 DKP MINUS in my book. Are all 360 games like that or just this one?

I didn't actually try to play minus the ethernet connection, but my presumption is that it would work fine without it.  But I guess if you're connected, it searches for something...and that something was unavailable last night so there was no joy in mudsville.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

And by the way, excellent use of the phrase, "50 DKP MINUS".

Gamertag = IkeV
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 07:34:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 28, 2006, 06:53:01 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 28, 2006, 06:51:45 PM

I didn't actually try to play minus the ethernet connection, but my presumption is that it would work fine without it.  But I guess if you're connected, it searches for something...and that something was unavailable last night so there was no joy in mudsville.

No, it only requires an internet connection if you try to play the single player campaign with a player profile that has an XBox Live account tied to it.  I don't know why, exactly, but the advice I got from Microsoft Tech Support was to simply create a offline account, and that worked fine. I'm actually more upset by the fact that there's not any sort of notification that this is the problem-- no error message or anything.  It just refuses to work with no explanation, which is a very amateur hour mistake in what is otherwise a spectacularly polished and professional game.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:28 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on December 28, 2006, 07:34:38 PM

No, it only requires an internet connection if you try to play the single player campaign with a player profile that has an XBox Live account tied to it.  I don't know why, exactly, but the advice I got from Microsoft Tech Support was to simply create a offline account, and that worked fine. I'm actually more upset by the fact that there's not any sort of notification that this is the problem-- no error message or anything.  It just refuses to work with no explanation, which is a very amateur hour mistake in what is otherwise a spectacularly polished and professional game.

Well that is just preposterous.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 04:27:48 AM »

I deleted my save game, too, assuming it was corrupt.  Then I got on-line to see that it was an XBL issue.  Doh!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: