http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War 2 Impressions  (Read 14151 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »

I don't think that Epic thought at all about how their game would likely be played when they developed it. They have said many times that they didn't like the shotgun rolling from the first game and wanted it to be a tactical cover-based MP game. So they altered the shotgun and put in stopping power. Great, but they also added sticky grenades, and seemed to botch what happens when you charge with a chainsaw. If you play the game like Epic wanted you to, it would probably work great. But they seemed to fail to grasp the fact that a large part of the online community wants one thing, and one thing only, and that is to be at the top of the leaderboard, no matter the cost. They will find whatever exploit they can and use it, even if it makes the game a joke.

The perks system in COD4/5, while thought to be unrealistic by some, actually works to prevent this. If you want to sit in a room surrounded by mortars, I can see them with bomb squad. If you use juggernaut, I can use stopping power. If you use martyrdom...ok, I'm pretty much screwed there. Also, if you sit in a corner, you're not going to get any points and you'll never unlock any new guns.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 24, 2008, 05:43:25 PM

So they altered the shotgun and put in stopping power. Great, but they also added sticky grenades, and seemed to botch what happens when you charge with a chainsaw.

You hit it right on the head Teg.  The grenades are counterproductive to their original intent.  Grenade tags are harder. FTW!  Now we can tag walls. FTL!

That could be mediated- like a person can have only one grenade tagged to a wall at a time.

Or, I guess, we can adopt to the new techniques and be more cautious?  Not sure I care enough.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

Yep, it blew big time.  We had more fun talking about the woeful Eagles than we did playing with those morons - enough said.

It's really a shame (for me at least) - cause I really do like the game.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 24, 2008, 05:52:02 PM

So they altered the shotgun and put in stopping power. Great, but they also added sticky grenades, and seemed to botch what happens when you charge with a chainsaw.

You hit it right on the head Teg.  The grenades are counterproductive to their original intent.  Grenade tags are harder. FTW!  Now we can tag walls. FTL!

That could be mediated- like a person can have only one grenade tagged to a wall at a time.

Or, I guess, we can adopt to the new techniques and be more cautious?  Not sure I care enough.

I believe there is a limit of 2 per person.   At least the other night when I was playing horde, one of my teammates tried to plant a 3rd.  When it happened, the 2 previous ones blew up in my face.  And yes, I did get damaged by it.

- shaggy

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 24, 2008, 09:08:30 PM

I believe there is a limit of 2 per person.   At least the other night when I was playing horde, one of my teammates tried to plant a 3rd.  When it happened, the 2 previous ones blew up in my face.  And yes, I did get damaged by it.

- shaggy

My first question would be: how close in proximity were you to your other planted nades? It's possible that you tripped one while setting the other (yes it's possible).  It's possible that someone came into range on it too...

I've seen guys plant upwards of six nades on a  map.

Also, the fact that they stay in place after the guy is killed is lame.  They should disappear a la the claymores in COD4.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 24, 2008, 09:54:12 PM

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 24, 2008, 09:08:30 PM

- shaggy

My first question would be: how close in proximity were you to your other planted nades? It's possible that you tripped one while setting the other (yes it's possible).  It's possible that someone came into range on it too...

I've seen guys plant upwards of six nades on a  map.

Also, the fact that they stay in place after the guy is killed is lame.  They should disappear a la the claymores in COD4.

I have also heard that there is a limit of 2 tags per person.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »

Finished tonight and really enjoyed the campaign.  I ended up playing through on Hard and it was perfect difficulty.  I felt like they really raised the bar x 10 over the first game.  Some of the vehicle levels went on too long, but otherwise I thought it was excellent.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »

Yep, it blew big time.  We had more fun talking about the woeful Eagles...

I gotta get in on this!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »

Finished the campaign yesterday and thought it was pretty awesome overall. Great mission variety with lots of different things to do.  I thought they did a pretty good job on the story- much better than GOW1.

There were some arcadey parts that were just ok, but I loved being able to drive the different types of vehicles.  Brumak FTW.

Some really good large scale battles and a great variety of locales and scenery.

I'd have preferred the COG tags as pick ups, but that's a minor quibble.  I got 20 of 41 or something like that.

Overall an A- from me at this point. I'm definitely gonna play through it again.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2008, 10:19:57 PM »

Nice little easter egg: http://kotaku.com/5110340/cowboy-up-in-gears-of-war-2

LiveTAG: happydog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »

I am writing from my phone so I'm not sure what that link showed, but I saw on Live that they released 3 new maps today for 800 pts.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »

I never cease to be amazed at:

1. How creative game developers are
2. How crazy gamers are to find stuff like this.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

I am writing from my phone so I'm not sure what that link showed, but I saw on Live that they released 3 new maps today for 800 pts.

And there is absolutely noway that I am paying 800 points for only 3 maps.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Owain on December 16, 2008, 01:44:10 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

And there is absolutely noway that I am paying 800 points for only 3 maps.

Yeah. Even if I were still playing the MP, that's way too steep. Next it'll be 2 maps for 800 pts...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »

New update released last night:

Exploit Fixes
* A player could melee or grenade tag through certain walls.
* A player could equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously.
* A player could make their shield invisible.
* A player could become invisible.
* A player could do a "super" mantle or "kung fu flip," flying high into the air.
* A player could gain unlimited ammo with the Lancer Assault Rifle.
* A player could fire while roadie running (also known as "crabwalking").
* A player could pick up a weapon while sliding into cover.
* A player could walk forward while firing a deployed mortar.
* A player could force an opponent to be stuck in the down but not out (DBNO) position.
* A player could prevent other players from picking up a heavy weapon.
* A player could pick up a dropped meatflag without having to knock him down.
* A ragdolled player could be killed without ever going DBNO.
* A player could roadie run while firing the Scorcher Flamethrower.
* A player could get stuck while evading, though they could continue shooting in any direction.
* A player could concuss themselves under the stairs on the River map.

General Fixes
* An issue with client-side hit detection of the Gnasher Shotgun. The fix makes the shotgun more reliable in high-latency situations.
* An issue where players could have shotgun or Boomshot rounds fire into the ground when shooting from the hip.
* A split-screen issue where one player transitioning to the death battle camera disrupted input from the other player.
* An issue that could cause players' Look sensitivity to be changed to their Zoom sensitivity while zooming in, zooming out, and firing.
* An issue that could cause players to get stuck if they tried to pick up a heavy weapon while firing the shotgun at the same time.
* An issue where players could become stuck if they kicked over a shield while ragdolled from a smoke grenade.
* An issue where bots were unable to kick over a shield that was planted backward.
* An issue where players who quit during voting didn't show up in the end game stats, which meant other players couldn't easily provide negative feedback on them.
* An issue where players couldn't chainsaw enemy meatshields if the meatshields were already damaged.
* An issue where some players would not see the animation of a meatshield being chainsawed.
* An issue where players could not chainsaw an opposing team meatshield in a game type that doesn't allow respawns (for example, Warzone and Execution).
* An issue where a player partway through the act of raising or lowering the chainsaw did not transition into a duel when attacked from the front with a chainsaw.
* An issue where occasionally a player waiting to respawn could not respawn when repeatedly hitting the left trigger to switch cameras.
* An issue where some teammates couldn't communicate between rounds in games type that don't allow respawns, because dead team members were left in the dead radio channel until the next round started.
* An issue where a DBNO player could be seen as standing if knocked DBNO while reloading the mortar.
* An issue where a player joining a Private Xbox LIVE game in progress from another specific type of game could potentially lose HUD functionality.
* An issue on the Flood map where a player's dying from Imulsion did not trigger a death message or penalize the player as other environmental deaths did.
* An issue with Guardian games where if the leader is the last player killed on a team, the round may not end, due to the respawn timer.
* A campaign issue where the gamer picture would not be awarded when the game is completed on Insane.
* An issue where a player would continue to fire the flamethrower and damage other players if that player was knocked DBNO while firing it.
* An issue that could cause a player to get stuck while moving and quickly attempting to aim the mortar at the same time.
* An issue with Horde games where clients didn't receive the "waiting for host" message after they failed a wave.
* A Horde split-screen issue that could cause a team to get –2 billion in score, which when posted to the leaderboards looked like +2 billion.
* An issue where dead players may not show up in the metadata for multiplayer photos.
* A system link issue where if a multiplayer match and a co-op game were hosted at the same time on the same LAN, neither could be joined.
* Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing
* Made planted proximity grenade mines much easier to shoot off the surface they're planted on, by giving them 50 percent less health.
* Set grenades to respawn less frequently. When a player picks up grenades from a spawned location, a new set of grenades does not respawn until the previous grenades have been used.
* Increased the penalty to rank for players who quit Public Xbox LIVE matches early.
* Buffed the flamethrower to have stopping power (to slow a charging enemy) and to cause a chainsaw interrupt (to force the opponent to lower a revved chainsaw).
* Removed the ability to instantly shoot coming out of a roadie run.
* Added additional spawn protection to prevent proximity grenade mines and chainsaws from killing a player within 5 seconds after spawning.
* Balanced grenade spawn cycling on the Hail map so that both teams have equal access to both types of grenades.

Improvements
* Changed Annex games to use execution rules, to prevent players from leaving DBNO opponents on the ground to bleed out.
* Made Horde waves count toward the "Party Like It's 1999" achievement. Each wave is counted as one round.
* Added the ability, during Submission games, to see the flag's final destination by using Tac/Com.
* Increased the frequency of most of the toasts for in-game achievement progression.
* Added achievement progression numbers to the War Journal.
* Added 7 new DLC-based achievements worth 175 points (progress toward them starts after Title Update 2 is applied):
o "Skeletons in Your Closet" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Trial by, and on, Fire" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Combustible Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "More Mystery, Less History" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
o "The Roof! The Roof! The Roof…" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
o "Bound by a Shared Past" (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps.
o "Forged in the Fire" (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps.
o "Annex: Now with Execution Rules" (75 points): Win an Annex match on each of the Flashback and Combustible Map Pack maps (Public only).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 21, 2009, 09:37:10 PM

stuff

Wow, have to give them credit for fixing all of that stuff.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2009, 10:15:22 PM

stuff

Yeah, although I wish people were actually playing the game.  It just can't compete with World at War.  We managed one evening of MP at the game's release.  That was it.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 21, 2009, 10:17:13 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2009, 10:15:22 PM

stuff

Yeah, although I wish people were actually playing the game.  It just can't compete with World at War.  We managed one evening of MP at the game's release.  That was it.

XP is just too darn addictive. 10th prestige or bust! (most likely, bust).

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »

An issue where players could have shotgun or Boomshot rounds fire into the ground when shooting from the hip.

This was amongst the most aggravating bugs I've ever encountered in a game. Glad it was a bug and not a nerf...not that it'll draw me back to the game I'm sure.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

I still play Horde pretty regularly so this patch is nice to see.  The new achievements may compel me to buy the latest map pack.  (Which is exactly what they wanted I'm sure..  paranoid)

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »

I just began playing this today and I'm loving it. Vast improvement over the original, I'm thoroughly enjoying the SP campaign and like Kevin Grey said, the graphics are outstanding. I'm impressed at how much I find myself liking all the characters this time around.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »

I just started playing it this weekend for the 1st time and I agree it's a big improvement over the original; heck I immediately grew bored with the 1st game despite playing it co-op with friends. I've only gotten to about the 5th checkpoint in the underground caves, but already I have the impression there's going to be a worth while story. I'm going to try it online for the 1st time this Wednesday, so I'll have to revisit my impressions once I've been severely pwnd a number of times. slywink
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2009, 10:00:25 PM

I just started playing it this weekend for the 1st time and I agree it's a big improvement over the original; heck I immediately grew bored with the 1st game despite playing it co-op with friends. I've only gotten to about the 5th checkpoint in the underground caves, but already I have the impression there's going to be a worth while story. I'm going to try it online for the 1st time this Wednesday, so I'll have to revisit my impressions once I've been severely pwnd a number of times. slywink

Since we're both new to the game, if you have any interest in playing online together let me know. I wouldn't mind replaying some of the missions on higher difficulty in coop mode, and the Horde multiplayer mode is supposed to be a blast.

Sean Lama
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:30 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 06, 2009, 10:10:42 PM

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2009, 10:00:25 PM

Since we're both new to the game, if you have any interest in playing online together let me know. I wouldn't mind replaying some of the missions on higher difficulty in coop mode, and the Horde multiplayer mode is supposed to be a blast.

Cool sound like fun...but I think I've got to get a bit better 1st so I'm not so much of a liability. Currently I'm either playing on normal or 1 notch above that and I'm dieing too often for my own comfort. And I really need to get much better at melee which I absolutely such at right now.  icon_confused
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »

Haha... Don't worry about it kronovan I'm sure we're equally unskilled. We should make a lot of progress together  icon_lol

How far into the SP are you? This game has some of the best, most creative level design I've experienced in a while.

Sean Lama
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »

Sorry for raising this from the dead but I didn't think my post deserved a new thread.

LTTP, but I finished this yesterday, and all I can say is WOW!

Epic made a just plain FUN game.  The ending was so over the top, but I was practically whopping as I road that Brumak around blasting the hell out of the caverns.  My only complaint was that the final boss was REALLY easy.

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »

This thread was starting to stink, so I thought it was about time someone cast Raise Dead on it.

Anyway, I just finished Gears of War 2, and I liked it a lot. It was a great game with excellent pacing and plenty of good set pieces. I kept comparing it to Uncharted 2 while playing, and while that game is the stronger of the two, GOW2 gives it at least a solid workout. smile

Since other posts in this thread have already covered all the good parts in detail, I'll instead mention the two things I didn't like about the game:

- The characters. Honestly, this is the kind of macho bullshit that gives gaming a bad name. The sooner we can get rid of steroid-ridden, angsty, aggressive and outright rude heroes, the sooner gaming will become a storytelling medium we can all be proud of. Uncharted is one of the best examples of how to do this right. Gears of War is one of the best examples of how to do it wrong. On the other hand, the setting was pretty good if you ignore stuff like weapons that would never last more than a few seconds in battle in real life (chainsaws on a gun? Come on! It'd get clogged immediately) and elite soldiers making mistakes rookies get taught not to do on their first day of training (never point your gun at another soldier, if even by accident and for a fraction of a second. These guys do it all the time, everywhere).

- The weapon pickup system. Twice during the game I accidentally picked up a crappy weapon while dropping my favorite one, only for a cutscene to immediately kick in and rob me of my chance to rectify the mistake, leaving me with a weapon loadout that wasn't at all suitable for the situation ahead and with minimal ammo. Another time I got through a long battle only to realize I had picked up a weapon and dropped my lancer without even noticing, and the lancer had long since despawned. The game should require you to hold a button for a few seconds to pick up a weapon, while ammo should remain instant like it is now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 13, 2010, 07:09:16 PM

- The characters. Honestly, this is the kind of macho bullcheese that gives gaming a bad name. The sooner we can get rid of steroid-ridden, angsty, aggressive and outright rude heroes, the sooner gaming will become a storytelling medium we can all be proud of.

Read. The. Books.

Karen Traviss does an amazing job of layering in humanity on top of the characters in the gears world- their motivations, emotions and friendships- and moves them far away from the macho cutouts that they are in the games.  They're quite well done.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 16, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

- The characters. Honestly, this is the kind of macho bullcheese that gives gaming a bad name. The sooner we can get rid of steroid-ridden, angsty, aggressive and outright rude heroes, the sooner gaming will become a storytelling medium we can all be proud of.

Read. The. Books.

Karen Traviss does an amazing job of layering in humanity on top of the characters in the gears world- their motivations, emotions and friendships- and moves them far away from the macho cutouts that they are in the games.  They're quite well done.

I'd rather not. I don't want to read a book to make the characters interesting when they had plenty of chances to do this through two games. Also, a book won't be able to eliminate the asshattery from their actions in the games.

I read the Mass Effect books, but that was because I already liked the setting and its characters.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

- The characters. Honestly, this is the kind of macho bullshit that gives gaming a bad name. The sooner we can get rid of steroid-ridden, angsty, aggressive and outright rude heroes

Not sure if you have any personal experience with American military, but a ton of guys in it actually do act and talk this way.  So as far as I'm concerned, games are actually pretty accurate when it comes to characters with military background.

As you know, the Gears of War characters are directly in the military and basically marines.  And yet you want them to be like Nathan Drake?  That would be a hell of a lot more unrealistic and out of place.  You're not going to find a lot of Nathan Drakes in front-line military infantry troops.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 16, 2010, 01:27:02 PM

- The characters. Honestly, this is the kind of macho bullshit that gives gaming a bad name. The sooner we can get rid of steroid-ridden, angsty, aggressive and outright rude heroes

Not sure if you have any personal experience with American military, but a ton of guys in it actually do act and talk this way.  So as far as I'm concerned, games are actually pretty accurate when it comes to characters with military background.

As you know, the Gears of War characters are directly in the military and basically marines.  And yet you want them to be like Nathan Drake?  That would be a hell of a lot more unrealistic and out of place.  You're not going to find a lot of Nathan Drakes in front-line military infantry troops.

You misread me. I don't want military types to be like Nathan Drake, but I at least want them to act like military types. Someone who sneers at his superior officer and says "I'm not doing this for you!", or who puts his loaded weapon across his lap and points it at his fellow soldiers, or who smashes his rifle repeatedly against a parked car out of frustration over a personal issue wouldn't last long in ANY army, American or not. I've taken sergeant's training myself in the Norwegian army, and I never encountered anyone who acted even remotely like the people in this game. If there are American soldiers who act like this and get away with it, you (as in "your country") have got a serious problem.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 16, 2010, 01:32:30 PM

You misread me. I don't want military types to be like Nathan Drake, but I at least want them to act like military types. Someone who sneers at his superior officer and says "I'm not doing this for you!", or who puts his loaded weapon across his lap and points it at his fellow soldiers, or who smashes his rifle repeatedly against a parked car out of frustration over a personal issue wouldn't last long in ANY army, American or not. I've taken sergeant's training myself in the Norwegian army, and I never encountered anyone who acted even remotely like the people in this game. If there are American soldiers who act like this and get away with it, you (as in "your country") have got a serious problem.

Ok, I wasn't talking about characters not following orders or anything like that.  I was strictly referring to guys being physical muscle-heads and cursing constantly and acting aggressively (to friends or random people, not necessarily directly to officers).

I think you're taking games a little too literally when it comes to how characters act... devs have to create situations with major conflicts between people, so I don't really expect games to be realistic in that sense.  Certainly not in Gears of War, which is a completely made up setting and futuristic time with aliens.  Personally, I don't want games to emulate real life, that would be boring.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Strangely enough, the story of Killzone 1 was actually a very good war story, without the overt level of machismo.  Too bad the rest of the game, didn't follow through, and the sequel dumbed it down too.  I actually hold all military action shooter game stories up to KZ1 for comparison.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 16, 2010, 01:48:56 PM

I think you're taking games a little too literally when it comes to how characters act... devs have to create situations with major conflicts between people, so I don't really expect games to be realistic in that sense.  Certainly not in Gears of War, which is a completely made up setting and futuristic time with aliens.  Personally, I don't want games to emulate real life, that would be boring.

Exactly. 

Gears is first and foremost an action game.  If you want character development read the books.  Which, as mentioned above, are quite good.  I am glad they kept the story and dialog to a minimum in the games.  As action games, I love the series.  If you care to learn more about the universe read the books.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »

Saying you want to tone down the characters in Gears because they are too much is like saying you wish Transformers had an intelligent plot.  It's a videogame.  A videogame about futuristic soldiers killing aliens in face to face ground warfare.  I mean, what do you want?  A love story?  Maybe we can throw in a little more drama?  Maybe we can get a background story about how the tech was designed and we can have a level where we play as a scientist collecting materials to make a new weapon.  No.  Fuck that.  It's just fine how it is and isn't meant to be taken so seriously.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:35 AM »

I just finished!! No it didn't take me 2 years smile I played the first GoW earlier this year with a friend co-op style through to the end. I bought GoW2 about 4 months ago but never got around to it till this Monday. i was waiting to hook up with him and play through this one too but could never find time. So I finished up Red Dead Redemption and needed something to play. And boy did I play this thing. Played it so fast it seemed kinda short but I had a hell of a ride all the way to the end. Now Im ready for pt 3 and looking forward to it.

Can someone recommend me a site with back story to this game series? Like how did humans come to be on Sera and are the Locust former Human or something else....that kinda stuff. Thanks!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:42 AM »

hmm.. time to give this a try before GoW3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

I just finished myself, and it did take me two years.  Often, a sequel on the horizon will get me cranking through a game.  I didn't need that with the first Gears.  I just plowed through that one and loved it.  With the second, I had a harder time connecting, for some reason. 

Part of it was the lame whining for Maria (IIRC) through the first half of the game.  The idea for that was nice, but they didn't pull it off, IMO.  That storyline seemed incongruous with the style of Gears.

Part of it was the searching for weapons and ammo and trinkets at the end of each fight.  The trinkets hunt is something that is unique to completionists, but it was handled better in the first game.  Fortunately, I've been getting over my need to find everything, so by the time I finished Gears it wasn't as much of an issue.  I was still looking for ammo, though.  I think they shouldn't have bothered with hidden stuff.  It has the wrong effect in a keep-moving! run-and-gun game.

Part of it was that too much time was spent underground, IMO.  The environments all looked better, and some set pieces were incredible, but the first game felt tighter to me and more interesting.

And part of it was that the story seemed all over the place.  I rarely understood why I was going where I was or doing what I was doing.  I know it's supposed to be a mindless action game, but things seemed to have a better flow last time.  Some of that may be because it took me two years to finish, though.   icon_wink

I don't mean to say it was terrible, of course.  I did enjoy it, but I've been trying to figure out what didn't work as well for me this go 'round.  I played the first Gears straight through, which is remarkable, given how challenging it was.  I don't normally do well with challenging.  Every time I got back into the sequel, I'd be into playing it, then very quickly lose interest and want to go to something else.  I'd get through maybe two segments before that happened.  I'm glad the third one is on the horizon, or I may have never played the very cool final segment.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »

They're having a 25X XP weekend. They don't mess around.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 22, 2010, 01:13:35 AM

Can someone recommend me a site with back story to this game series? Like how did humans come to be on Sera and are the Locust former Human or something else....that kinda stuff. Thanks!!!!!

i don't really think there is much backstory.  the 'humans' are the native population of Sera, not some future settlement of people from earth, and the origins of the Locust are a mystery.  the whole premise of the series, as presented in the first game, is that the Locust suddenly appeared from underground after the humans had weakened through years of fighting amongst themselves on the surface.  noone really knows where the Locust originated, only that they had been below the surface for a very long time and chose to attack when the human race was weak.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: