http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:38:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War 2 Impressions  (Read 13965 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2008, 05:11:13 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 09, 2008, 04:21:37 AM

Yeah the 'invite all' button is a nice thought... except that it sends invites to everyone... including those off-line...  I would have expected it to just invite everyone on my friend's list that is playing Gears2, that would make sense.

I was wondering why I had all those invites when I logged in last night.  maybe they'll fix that in a patch.

I hope so.  At first while we were playing Friday night the "invite all" option seemed like a great idea, but I guess I assumed that it would only invite all friends who are online.  That way not only do you get players already playing Gears but also those who may have it and would like to jump in once they load up the game.  I didn't expect it to only invite people playing Gears, but I thought it would at least limit invites to online players.  Apparently not. 

I really enjoyed playing Horde mode Friday night after our private MP sessions and look forward to playing again.  I think "Dirty, Dirty Horde" is my favorite achievement due to my inability to not shout "whore!" whenever playing a game and things go bad.  My wife and friends mock me by randomly shouting "whore" around the house, but they really get a chuckle when I do it playing a game.  I don't even know why I do it.  Perhaps because "fuck" or "shit" are so overused.  But now I can't seem to stop doing it.   ninja

After last night's Eagles loss to yet another division rival I am rather disinterested at work (usually I take the day off following a particularly irritating loss), but I think I may head home early to get in some Horde killing as some much-needed stress relief.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »

I have yet to get into a Horde game Pete, so I am down!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 10, 2008, 04:19:02 PM

I have yet to get into a Horde game Pete, so I am down!

On Friday night after everyone dropped out there were five of us left (USMC Kato, and I feel like crap as I can't remember who else as I had the pleasure of playing with some new faces but had a couple of beers and I'm having a little trouble remembering some names ninja) and it was an absolute blast.  I'll keep an eye out for you and hopefully we'll be able to get a group together as it really is a visceral, frenetic experience.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 09, 2008, 09:21:51 PM

I played with a few people from here last night and had a good time, but I could only hear Calvin and Lettuce.  Everyone else I could see the talk icon things but couldn't hear anything, and they couldn't hear me.  Even after leaving and rejoining.  Very frustrating. 

I figured it out!  Apparently there's a "Friends Only" chat option.  That explains why I could only hear those two, and not those of you who are NOT my friends (glares at Ike).
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 10, 2008, 08:33:04 PM

Quote from: kathode on November 09, 2008, 09:21:51 PM

I played with a few people from here last night and had a good time, but I could only hear Calvin and Lettuce.  Everyone else I could see the talk icon things but couldn't hear anything, and they couldn't hear me.  Even after leaving and rejoining.  Very frustrating. 

I figured it out!  Apparently there's a "Friends Only" chat option.  That explains why I could only hear those two, and not those of you who are NOT my friends (glares at Ike).
That is weird because I could hear you after you first joined but not once the first match started.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »

Why do so many people insist that GOW is an FPS?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

Is 3rd Person Shooter a more accurate description?

I can see that I guess.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 10, 2008, 10:52:13 PM

Who are "so many people"?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »

Third person shooter, but its controls are distinctly first person shooter based.  There are other third person shooters with different control schemes.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »

Because nobody uses the term TPS (Third Person Shooter).

That, and it sounds like you're talking about TPS Reports. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 10, 2008, 10:57:14 PM

Who are "so many people"?

Comes up all the time.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2008, 05:25:25 AM »

Final credits rolling now...

"Normal" mode was pretty easy.  But looking forward to playing it on hardcore with the wife and then insane with someone later on.

I was surprised at the amount of cutscenes and story elements they added compared to the first game.  For the most part they didn't get in the way of the action.  And the story was better than Gears 1, but not too melo dramatic.  They tried to pull some emotional strings which were kind of hit or miss.  But I really got the feeling of a world wide conflict in this game compared to Gears 1 where it seemed more like local skirmishes.  Can't wait to see where they go in Gears 3. 

I loved the final sequence....
Spoiler for Hiden:
Riding the Brumak.  You pretty much couldn't die.  But it was fun blowing the hell out of everything.  A great reward for fighing your way through the game.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:30:23 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2008, 07:25:49 AM »

The graphics in this game are just mind blowing, even by the lofty standards of the first game.  You could take stills of almost any shot and think you were looking at concept art.

The game itself ain't too shabby either- I just made it to Act 4 and this is my GOTY now.  So glad I didn't know any spoilers beforehand. 
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

Fantastic game.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 10, 2008, 11:00:41 PM

Third person shooter, but its controls are distinctly first person shooter based.  There are other third person shooters with different control schemes.

I think of GoW as a FPS that you play from a third person perspective. slywink

I hate third person perspective.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 11, 2008, 07:25:49 AM

The graphics in this game are just mind blowing, even by the lofty standards of the first game.  You could take stills of almost any shot and think you were looking at concept art.

I agree.  I have stopped and just looked around more than once.  The scenery is out of control.  Epic really outdid themselves.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 08, 2008, 09:55:45 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 08, 2008, 09:51:53 PM

Guys - you know you're my peeps. But I do not own this game. I will be up for MP with you should I pick it up but for right now you're wasting invites on me. I'm flattered, but do not have the game. Enjoy it and cheers. smile

LOL you know what is it man, if you are looking at your list from the in-game menu and press the back button, it sends invites to your entire friends list....online or not.  I know some people just spam it, but others are doing it on accident.  I know I did once  tear

Ah that would explain why I'm getting invites as well. I didn't even play the first one.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »

From the Epic Gears forums:

Q: Slow Matchmaking – Why does it take so long for matchmaking to find me a game?
A: This is an issue that’s affecting some folks, and Epic and Microsoft are both looking into it. I'll let you know more details as I have them.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2008, 04:56:43 PM

From the Epic Gears forums:

Q: Slow Matchmaking – Why does it take so long for matchmaking to find me a game?
A: This is an issue that’s affecting some folks, and Epic and Microsoft are both looking into it. I'll let you know more details as I have them.

heh, it's probably because of all the errant invites floating around!!!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

On horde I reached stage 9 with a buddie.   You certainly need 5 for stage 9 and 10

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 11, 2008, 06:15:56 PM

On horde I reached stage 9 with a buddie.   You certainly need 5 for stage 9 and 10

I was under the impression that it scaled based on how many people you had. Maybe not.

Oh, and I did find out that the 50 round achievement does not require you to do all 50 at once. It keeps track of which rounds you've beaten and the only requirement is that, at some point, you beat each round. So you can join up with someone at beat rounds 47-50 and later go back and start up at round 20 (assuming you've beaten round 19) and finish some of those rounds.

In fact, a lot of the achievements wind up not being all that difficult. For example, if you play on Insane and go co-op with someone playing on casual, you can let them handle all the sticky spots and you will still get credit for beating the game on Insane.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:10:14 PM by Teggy » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 11, 2008, 07:05:30 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 11, 2008, 06:15:56 PM

On horde I reached stage 9 with a buddie.   You certainly need 5 for stage 9 and 10

I was under the impression that it scaled based on how many people you had. Maybe not.

I was under the same impression.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »

Man, we just finished lvl 13 to lvl 25 with 3 people, then Lockdown joined and it was a bit easier, he had to leave at round 30, and we got killed.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2008, 02:29:26 AM »

So, I borrowed this game from a friend and I'm about half way into it.  It feels the same as the first, which is a good thing.  However just from playing half the game, I feel the first half of the first game had a lot more action than GOW2.  Graphically it's a little better, but it's comparable to the first. 

One thing that bugs me is your squad.  Most of the time they don't really follow you, they just move to point A to point B.  So, if you get lost, you just find them and boom your set to go.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:43 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 12, 2008, 02:29:26 AM

So, I borrowed this game from a friend and I'm about half way into it.  It feels the same as the first, which is a good thing.  However just from playing half the game, I feel the first half of the first game had a lot more action than GOW2.  Graphically it's a little better, but it's comparable to the first. 

One thing that bugs me is your squad.  Most of the time they don't really follow you, they just move to point A to point B.  So, if you get lost, you just find them and boom your set to go.

The final level's AI was terrible. Dom just stood there and didn't help AT ALL. I hd to fight everything myself...

Hard as heck...

However, the game is SUPER fun...Wait until you get to the later levels Ken, the graphics amp up big time.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2008, 04:26:04 AM »

So, if you get lost, you just find them and boom your set to go.

Are you saying that is a bad thing?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2008, 04:29:27 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 12, 2008, 04:20:43 AM

The final level's AI was terrible. Dom just stood there and didn't help AT ALL. I hd to fight everything myself...

Not sure if you are talking about the same part where Dom basically ran off to do nothing

Spoiler for Hiden:
The streets where he runs off into the parking garage before you get the hammer of dawn and reach the cranes

I fought my way through and then wondered where on earth he was. I turned around and he was nowhere to be seen. He had just stayed way back and hadn't even helped me at all. Finally when I hit the checkpoint he reappeared.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2008, 04:48:01 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 12, 2008, 04:26:04 AM

So, if you get lost, you just find them and boom your set to go.

Are you saying that is a bad thing?

Well it's a squad based game (loosely) and typically as a squad you should stick together.  But if you go off the beaten path, they just go to their invisible waypoint, it just takes away from the immersion.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:02 AM »

So far it's fine, but the Derrick defense felt pretty souless. I'm not done with that part yet, but so far...meh.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »

Yeah, I had the same thing happen in Act 5 where Dom's AI would basically break and he would just avoid fighting altogether.  I didn't mind that so much but it was very frustrating when I would be taken down and I was waiting on a rescue that would never happen.

Otherwise I was genuinely impressed by the squad AI.  They were far more capable than they were in the first game. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

Yeah, I had a blast playing that Horde game with Ken for the tiny part I was there.  Sometimes things just click, and the game gets really, really fun.

I think I could play Wingman all day if I had the time.  Between that, Horde, and Annex, I just love the MP.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »

As i said in the mp forum:

I legitimately may be done with Gears MP already.

Had another frustrating night of glitching, lag, bad matchmaking and mediocre play from yours truly.

Calvin and I were competitive in all 4 of our wingman matches, but I can say without exaggeration that lag cost us in the neighborhood of 8 kills across those same four matches and cost us a W in one.

It's just not worth the frustration.

This combined with my lack of desire to get good at SOCOM makes me wonder if I'm moving back away from MP gaming in favor of SP...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2008, 05:38:40 AM »

just got started in the game and made it a little way into the Ilima sinkhole tonight...absolutely fantastic game so far.  i was a huge fan of the original Gears, and GoW2 is just giving more of the same awesome action on a much larger scale...exactly what i've been waiting for over the last two years.  the gameplay may be virtually identical to the first game, but the environments and action setpieces even early in the game are a huge improvement, and i've already experienced a few very cool scenes.  knowing that the entire game will only ramp up in intensity as i progress leaves me very excited to see what's next icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 13, 2008, 05:14:07 AM

As i said in the mp forum:

I legitimately may be done with Gears MP already.

Had another frustrating night of glitching, lag, bad matchmaking and mediocre play from yours truly.

Calvin and I were competitive in all 4 of our wingman matches, but I can say without exaggeration that lag cost us in the neighborhood of 8 kills across those same four matches and cost us a W in one.

It's just not worth the frustration.

This combined with my lack of desire to get good at SOCOM makes me wonder if I'm moving back away from MP gaming in favor of SP...

Honestly I think the lag is more of a Xbox Live issue instead of a Gears 2 issue.  Last night I had lag issues with Madden, the Left for Dead Demo, and CoD5. We were even getting disconnected when trying to play Rock Band 2 online. This seems to be a bad week for Live in general. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2008, 05:56:48 AM »

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »

Seems to be a thing with live overall, lots of word that live is just crashing due to the combined releases of GoW2, CoD5, and other online games.

I traded in a bunch of games I no longer play using their trade in specials and got about as much as if I'd used goozex or ebay.  Sadly, I didn't pick up GoW2 thanks to you guys warning me a way for now.  I will definitely pick it up later if GoW2 nights pick up again once the live issues are over.

And yeah, one of my big WTFs from GoW1 was how they could make a flying, floating robot that small able to turn invisible.  The implications of any such technology would give a huge advantage for the COG forces.  It means that they have a power source small yet powerful enough to power both the invisibility device and enough of these devices to hand out the drone to a grunt squad like Marcus'.

Of course, they are also fighting mutant aliens on another planet that sink entire cities, and they have chainsaws on their guns.  slywink
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago and trust me, it is definitely worth watching all the credits.  The very last thing has me more excited than EVER.  Love the potential of what game 3 could be.  Man oh man.  Who'da thunkit?!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2008, 07:27:27 AM »

just finished the centuar section and actually really liked the driving this time around...much better than shooting kryll with a spotlight.  my only complaint about the centaur is that you can't aim and steer independently.  the controls make it hard to dodge incoming fire, but it's not a big deal considering how much damage your tank can withstand.  the driving section inside the cave is very cool as well...great lighting effects icon_cool

i'm now on the path toward Nexus and the graphics are absolutely breathtaking.  i've played a lot of good looking games in the last year, but looking across the underground lake just about tops anything i can remember...even some of the great scenes in Metal Gear Solid 4...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2008, 06:29:48 AM »

Trying to defend that MF-ing comms array is the most frustrating gaming experience I've had in a long time.  What the f were they thinking making you have to pin point aim at moving targets with a gun that takes time to spin up to shoot and then overheats???  UGGH
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2008, 06:33:12 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2008, 06:29:48 AM

Trying to defend that MF-ing comms array is the most frustrating gaming experience I've had in a long time.  What the f were they thinking making you have to pin point aim at moving targets with a gun that takes time to spin up to shoot and then overheats???  UGGH

Don't forget that you can repeatedly press A (at least I think that's the button, check the manual to be sure)  to cool down the gun more rapidly. 

But, yeah, that section definitely took me a couple of tries. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: