http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 10:32:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War 2 Impressions  (Read 13951 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 04:10:16 AM »

Mike, are you playing on casual difficulty?  The Hardcore difficulty in gears has always been very frustrating for me.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 04:32:02 AM »

I pre-ordered at BB online, and the remote control tank was back ordered. So yeah day it goes up for pre-order and I order, and I gets no tank *sigh* seriously pissed.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:10 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2008, 09:52:23 PM

Quote from: Simon on November 07, 2008, 09:50:19 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 07, 2008, 06:03:22 PM

I haven't found any COG tags yet.  I don't know if they took those out, or they are better hidden, or I'm just not paying attention.

I haven't seen any but I did find a collectible, it was a newspaper I think. They also show finding collectibles in the achievements so I'm guessing those replaced the COGs.

Yep, there's paper items to collect now.  They are all paper-like it seems, but not always newspapers.  Documents would be a good descr.

Actually, there are some COG tags too, I found some. But every item is pretty much different. They shimmer a bit so you can identify them. I'm not sure I like that change. They gave you hints when you were near the COG tags in the first game so you didn't have to search every inch of the game. Now, if you want the collectibles, you have to distract yourself more from the action.

I started on normal, and it is pretty easy. However, I felt the same way when I started the first game on casual, and it got significantly harder as the game went on. I expect that will happen here as well, so I am sticking with it.

Horde is a very fun mode - 5 of us managed to get through 18 waves on our 3rd try. The 18+ waves took us over an hour (the web site has a pretty decent stats section - not as good as Halo, but good). If you could even manage to get through 50 waves, I am wondering how long the session would be.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 05:11:57 AM »

Played some co-op Horde with some people here.  That was fun.

Played a bunch of Wingman with my nephew.  That was fun.

Played some single player campaign.  That was both frustrating at times and fun.

The multiplayer is just flat out fun, fun, fun.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 08, 2008, 12:36:06 AM

I am at the point where you have to shoot down the mortars and stop the reapers from ramming your rig and have died like 20 times trying to do that.  And nothing, and I mean nothing I do works.  Die every time.  Just about ready to give up and put this up for sale.  Almost like it was ramped up for coop.

I couldn't pass that point either. I had my six-year old jump in and help shoot some of those mortars down.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »

Single-player is pretty damn great so far with some really great set-pieces and they've really expanded the scope of some things from the first game. 
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »

I've only played a little Warzone (about 10 matches) but I played a bunch of Horde mode online and I am loving it.  Occasionally there is some monster warping due to lag, but it works very well.  Some nice tense moments once you start getting going. I think we made it to level 20 but didn't clear it before I had to call it for a bit.  I was expecting Horde to occur on much smaller levels (think situations like the fountain ambush in level 1 of GOW).  More Horde please!!!

I'm very happy with gears.  It is classic Sequel..  A few small changes to gameplay, just a couple of weapons added, etc.  You could almost call it gears 1.5.   Strangely enough, I'm not bashing this one for that.  The story seems to be about as long as the original game, and they've added enough in the MP department that it really has gone beyond the 'Oh, they just spend 2 years working on an X-pac.' line.  I'm not sure why I am so tolerant of this right now...maybe it is the timeframe in which the game had released in?  Whichever the case...MORE GEARS2!!!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »

I was apart of Dream's Horde crew last night and I found the fighting to be brutal and intense- just like it's described in the book. The fact that the AI stomps you and tears you up and puts guns to your heads made it seem all the more gritty and desperate.

I played about an hour or so of MP with the gang last night and even though I've lost a few steps I like almost all of the improvements.

I like the stopping power of the Lancer.  I wish there were stopping power for the shotty though as some people ran through it to chainsaw me.

Chainsaw battles were neat too, though i think I only won about 20% of the time.  The maps are cool thus far and it was great to get together with the old gang again.

I'm not sure about the shotties now though- it does NOT seem like it's one shot one kill from close proximity and I guess that can be good or bad.

The flame effect is fabulous. The mortars are a beast and the mini gun is really neat to use.

I like the new MP options and love the enemy variety on horde.

I only played SP for about 20 minutes as I was completely out of gas at that point. I walked carmine through training and shut down.

Graphics are definiely an improvement, voice work is as strong as ever and thus far it looks good.

Also, I'll be playing through on Hardcore my first time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 05:06:00 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 08, 2008, 07:20:10 AM

Single-player is pretty damn great so far with some really great set-pieces and they've really expanded the scope of some things from the first game. 

+1 to that.  I haven't even finished chapter 1 yet, but holy cow they pulled out all the stops.

As for that one part everyone was having trouble with....I started by using the chaingun on Betty, but gave that up.  Once I started just using the pulse rifle to shoot them, it was easier.  I had more trouble shooting that one fricken reaper down before he crashed into me because the damn gun over heats and I had to get an active reload off to finish him in time.  I thought shooting both drivers would be enough to stop it, but it kept on coming after I shot them off. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 08, 2008, 02:50:36 PM

I was apart of Dream's Horde crew last night and I found the fighting to be brutal and intense- just like it's described in the book. The fact that the AI stomps you and tears you up and puts guns to your heads made it seem all the more gritty and desperate.

I played about an hour or so of MP with the gang last night and even though I've lost a few steps I like almost all of the improvements.

I like the stopping power of the Lancer.  I wish there were stopping power for the shotty though as some people ran through it to chainsaw me.

Chainsaw battles were neat too, though i think I only won about 20% of the time.  The maps are cool thus far and it was great to get together with the old gang again.

I'm not sure about the shotties now though- it does seem like it's one shot one kill from close proximity and I guess that can be good or bad.

The flame effect is fabulous. The mortars are a beast and the mini gun is really neat to use.

I like the new MP options and love the enemy variety on horde.

I only played SP for about 20 minutes as I was completely out of gas at that point. I walked carmine through training and shut down.

Graphics are definiely an improvement, voice work is as strong as ever and thus far it looks good.

Also, I'll be playing through on Hardcore my first time.

That shottie may not have stopping power, but you got way more kills because of it, than say me, who was trying to take people down with the lancer to head stomp them after.
KiloOhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »

If anyone needs an extra meat shield in multiplayer (coop or deathmatch) feel free to invite me.

XBOX Live account Lord Polish (formerly Kiloohm)
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »

I will say something about the Lancer...stopping power upgrade is nice and it seems to be a little beefier than it used to in MP.  I actually could kill people with bursts from it.  Granted, other weapons did it better and more efficiently...

In GOW1, it felt like the lancer was there for Chainsaw.  It didn't feel like it did enough damage to kill.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 08, 2008, 07:20:10 AM

Only played the SP campaign so far, but this game is an improvement over the first one in every single way... I'm very impressed at this point.

Graphics are noticeably better, and more importantly the colors and environments are waaaay better.  I hated all the boring gray in the first game.

No problems with framerate either.  Remember in Gears 1, you would get slowdown in the cinematics.  Nothing like that in Gears 2 yet.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »

I am through act 2 now, and my impression of the single player is, while there are more big events, they seem to have toned the fights way down. I remember in the first game there were significant fights right at the beginning in the ruins. There was one where you had to assault a building with semi-circular steps, flanking through the halls on the right side and then defending the counter-attack. It was challenging, even on casual. So far on normal, I've only felt at risk a couple of times.

And for those who have made it through act 2:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The way they handled killing the worm was tedious. There were no real dangerous enemies inside the body and it was a lot of walking.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I'm pretty surprised at the pacing so far. Maybe it will pick up.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »

Pacing does seem a little weird.  For me, that may have something to do with trying to find the hidden crap.  I preferred the Cog Tag system from the last one.  Things were tucked away, but there were indicators (symbols on the walls, a gleam that'd catch your attention in the distance).  I find myself running around the whole level, looking for the X Button indicator to pop up.  Really messes up the pace and the run from cover to cover gameplay.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »

Guys - you know you're my peeps. But I do not own this game. I will be up for MP with you should I pick it up but for right now you're wasting invites on me. I'm flattered, but do not have the game. Enjoy it and cheers. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 08, 2008, 09:51:53 PM

Guys - you know you're my peeps. But I do not own this game. I will be up for MP with you should I pick it up but for right now you're wasting invites on me. I'm flattered, but do not have the game. Enjoy it and cheers. smile

LOL you know what is it man, if you are looking at your list from the in-game menu and press the back button, it sends invites to your entire friends list....online or not.  I know some people just spam it, but others are doing it on accident.  I know I did once  tear
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:02 PM »

OK, the game is definitely picking up.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The razor hail fight was fantastic, followed by the tank ride up the mountain and then deep down underground.

It definitely seems (like the manual says) that they were trying to create action movie situations, rather than just throw a lot of bad guys at you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Based on what I've seen, hopefully it will continue getting better.

Regarding the plot:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm a little surprised they went with the "government fuses alien race with human race to create race of the future" storyline. It's been to done too many times and makes the story seem cliche.

Oh, and just because they make is so easy to post pictures, I'll put one here, even though it's not very good.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:00:10 PM by Teggy » Logged

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:54 AM »

This game feels like an improvement over the first game in pretty much every possible way.

To anyone whose invite I snubbed today, I apologize, but I was desperately trying to finish my singleplayer campaign before I had to leave for work. I managed, if only just. Did it on Hardcore. Now I've gotta rope a buddy of mine into playing through on Insane  icon_biggrin

Also, Horde mode is awesome.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2008, 01:51:38 AM »

I'm maybe halfway through Act 2 on Casual.  Call me a wimp, but I'm really liking this difficulty.  I hate getting killed repeatedly in shooters, since re-doing sections annoys me mightily.  On this difficulty, I feel like a badass supersoldier, even though I know it's easier than it should be.  I generally play shooters for the experience rather than the challenge anyway.  Once I make it through on Casual, I may try again on the harder difficulties.

The lighting effects when the thing with the spotlights is behind you is fantastic.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2008, 04:21:37 AM »

Yeah the 'invite all' button is a nice thought... except that it sends invites to everyone... including those off-line...  I would have expected it to just invite everyone on my friend's list that is playing Gears2, that would make sense.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 04:30:34 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 08, 2008, 09:55:45 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 08, 2008, 09:51:53 PM

LOL you know what is it man, if you are looking at your list from the in-game menu and press the back button, it sends invites to your entire friends list....online or not.  I know some people just spam it, but others are doing it on accident.  I know I did once  tear

I'm guilty of this last night.  My apologies to anyone I spammed by accident.

BTW, don't expect me to play much more Gears....looks like my 'box is finally kicking the bucket after being online all day yesterday

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 05:18:42 AM »

Moriarty and I played through just about all of acts 1 and 2 tonight on Hardcore co-op, and I have to say that it does seem a lot more like the Gears 1 difficulty that way. It was a lot more intense, but definitely playable - you were not dying constantly, but you felt like you needed to be careful not be killed. I'll probably continue my solo game on normal, so I can enjoy the story and pick up some of the tricky parts for when I play on harder levels.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »

(spoiler below)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I need help.  I am at the part where you drive the tank into the frozen mountain hive headquarters and you end up dropping off the path to a lower level and lose power.  While the power is out 3 of those big ass spider crab dudes show up.  Here's where I am stuck.  Baird gets the power restored and within 10 seconds the tank is destroyed every time no matter what I do.  I fire away, but I can't move, so.....

Anyone gotta tip?

** I added spoiler tags --naednek
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:19:14 PM by naednek » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »

Don't tell me no one else has gotten this far....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

What difficulty are you on?
Spoiler for Hiden:
I just started blasting away and got through it the first time I tried (on normal). Shoot at their chests.

And you might want to put spoiler tags on that post.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 09, 2008, 04:21:37 AM

Yeah the 'invite all' button is a nice thought... except that it sends invites to everyone... including those off-line...  I would have expected it to just invite everyone on my friend's list that is playing Gears2, that would make sense.

I was wondering why I had all those invites when I logged in last night.  maybe they'll fix that in a patch.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »

Yeah, I took a break and came back and got through the first time.  Go figure.  I am on hard difficulty.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

The XBL match-making is TERRIBLE.  It takes forever to find a team and even longer to find a game, so much so that people just drop and it goes back to finding a full team.  I have not been able to play one public game, only private stuff with GTers.  I wonder if no one bought this?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2008, 08:31:21 PM

The XBL match-making is TERRIBLE.  It takes forever to find a team and even longer to find a game, so much so that people just drop and it goes back to finding a full team.  I have not been able to play one public game, only private stuff with GTers.  I wonder if no one bought this?

The matchmaking really sucks unless your invited to a game but the horde modes rocks.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »

I played with a few people from here last night and had a good time, but I could only hear Calvin and Lettuce.  Everyone else I could see the talk icon things but couldn't hear anything, and they couldn't hear me.  Even after leaving and rejoining.  Very frustrating. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »

Yes, with the exception of getting a team for Horde Mode, I am also finding the public matchmaking incredibly frustrating.  And every once in awhile there is a glitch with voice as well.

Other than that - I simply love the game so far. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2008, 08:31:21 PM

I agree.

I might go so far as to say it is among the worst I have ever seen. Who thought this would be a good idea? Getting lots of time outs and situations where the map loads but only a few (or sometimes NO) people show up to play.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »

Finished up on normal this evening. There were a lot of fun parts on the way to the end, but the challenge was kind of up and down. The last section seemed more of a spectacle that you had control over rather than a game.  Maybe it will feel differently on hardcore.

One interesting thing I found that I'm wondering if others saw/will see:
Spoiler for Hiden:
There is a part at the start of act 5 where you have to jump on a mounted machine gun and protect a communication dish by shooting down 6 reavers. This was the first part of the game on normal that I had real trouble with, because the reavers were really hard to hit with a gun that takes time to spin up and can overheat. I noticed after I failed it for about the 6th time, the reavers started to just land in front of me and sit there, making it very easy to pick them off. I'm wondering the developers noticed playtesters having trouble with that part and put that in on purpose.

I still have to finish up the end of act 2 and the rest on co-op on harcore (or insane?), so anyone who is interested, let me know.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 12:22:55 AM »

The set pieces they use are friggen' awesome.  I am only in Chapter 2 and they basically turned the dial to 11 and then snapped it off.  So cool!

Also, the visuals are absolutely amazing.  After playing Resistance 2 and complaining about how dull and bland the environments are, this game really drives the point home.  The texture work in this game is absolutely amazing. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:17 AM »

You guys are tempting me to hook my 360 up...  icon_eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 01:48:05 AM »

Eh, while Resistance's graphics were still flat.  I think the GoW art style relies way too much on normal mapping the hell out of everything just for the sake of adding normal maps.  It just reminded me of this well known boardgame/RPG illustrator that would add extra detail freaking everywhere it wasn't needed.  Still, if you have the extra fill rate, might as well use it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:51:35 AM by Turtle » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 01:48:58 AM »

Done!!

I had 1 major disappointment

Spoiler for Hiden:
 There really wasn't a boss fight.  I mean you kill the thing at the end and that is it.  I wish that I could have fought the queen or atleast had a really good fight with the body guard guy who had the staff with the chain saw.  I mean GOW 1 I might have bitched that RAAM was hard but atleast after I beat him I felt like i did something.....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »

I can see what you mean about the matchmaking - I tried to join a public match and basically watched for 15 minutes while it struggled to get something together. It only managed to match 2 teams together twice - the first time it crapped out before anyone's name was shown, and the next time it took so long that it wound up being 5 against 1 as almost the entire other team left before the game started. And then there was lag.

I don't think it's a problem of no one playing, I think it's a problem of too many people playing and the system can't handle it. It's not official stats, but 360voice showed yesterday's Gears players as the 3rd most on a single day ever, behind Halo 3 and GTAIV.

regarding papasmurff's comments:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, the boss battles were sprinkled in a little against convention. In the first Gears, there were bosses at the end of acts 1, 3 and 5. Here you had the first one somewhere in the middle of act 3 (the big fish), and somewhere toward the end of act 4 (the priest). On normal, the Brumak ride was extremely easy - there was one point were there are three troikas on towers that put you in danger, but other than that it seemed basically impossible to be killed. Once you were in the large area with the columns, it was like gnats against Godzilla, as if you were just playing out a cutscene. I did really enjoy the game, but it just felt like they were trying too hard for it to be cinematic without tuning the gameplay.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »

For a person that generally doesn't like FPS's on consoles, I can't believe how much fun I'm having with GoW2.  I had pretty much decided long ago that with the exception of the Rainbow Six games, I would play all my shooters on the PC forever.  This game has totally changed my mind on that decision.  I spent so much time playing this over the weekend that Fable 2, Rockband 2, and Fallout 3 got almost no playtime at all, which is amazing, considering how much I love all those games. 

I realize that most people probably make fun of those of us that play with/against the bots, but I am really enjoying the multiplayer on Hardcore difficulty, while playing Wingman with my nephew.  Obviously, playing Horde against the enemy bots with fellow GT'ers is fun as well.  I was able to play two online public matches - but I think I got chainsawed about 6,000 times and promptly quit to watch some college football.  I think I need to get better at diving backwards and shooting people in the face with the shotgun, as I don't think I've once won a chainsaw battle against a real player.    icon_neutral

LD

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: