http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War 2 Impressions  (Read 13889 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

I wonder if anyone here got it at midnight last night.

I'm planning on picking mine up when I land back in NC and it's TBD to see which store will get my business (the remote control tank at Best Buy or the 1600 pt MS Point Card at CC).

In any event, I hadn't been looking that forward to this game up until about three weeks ago and reading the prequel book has really whet my appetite.

Not sure if it will captivate me like the first one did, but I'm sure looking forward to it now.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »

I was all geared to go to the midnight launch and then my 50 year old eyes said to hell with that.  So, I went to bed and will pick it up at 10 today.  I too am anxious but not nearly as hyped as the first.  Not that I don't think it will be bigger and badder, but I guess there is no way to be as blown away by something after you've seen it once already.  But there can be no question that if they just handed us a 10 hour continuation with no improvements that it would still be a good game. 

Looking forward to hording tonight with you all.  Assuming I can find you guys.  Someone plz invite me.   Xboxalot. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »

Played for a little bit last night and there seems to be a lot more to the story this time around.

That's all I've got.

I'll leave the rest to the experts...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 07, 2008, 01:14:33 PM

Played for a little bit last night and there seems to be a lot more to the story this time around.

That's all I've got.

Wow!  You spent entirely too much time and effort writing up those impressions, Devil.  Are you a bit winded?  It must have been exhausting to write more than one sentence!  Do you need to take a little nap to recover? 

By the way... are we trying co-op tonight?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »

Played some Local Horde mode.  Very fun, really looking forward to having a full group for that, is very difficult past stage 5 or so to cover all the angles with two people.  Maybe with more practice.

Co-op mode is fun as always.  Only got through the prologue section before I had to crash, but fun as before from what I played.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 07, 2008, 01:21:37 PM

Quote from: Devil on November 07, 2008, 01:14:33 PM

That's all I've got.

Wow!  You spent entirely too much time and effort writing up those impressions, Devil.  Are you a bit winded?  It must have been exhausting to write more than one sentence!  Do you need to take a little nap to recover? 

By the way... are we trying co-op tonight?

Was the problem with my post that you couldn't understand it?

Let me re-post for you.

"I not play game too much yet.

Better talky parts to tell why shooty parts start.

I not play a lot.

Other people may play more, type better words here, so I let them type more than me.
"

That better?

I suck at these games - Maybe I'll let you guys shoot me tonight, or Ponchy and I will team up to save the world!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:45:07 PM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »

Who am I kidding.  I'm in tonight for MP.  I'll pick up a copy on my way home from work.  The wife has a friend visiting for the weekend, the girls are having a "girls night out", and Moliere has plans so our pool night is postponed, so it's almost as if it were meant to be.  Granted I just picked up Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, and I'm 30 hours into Mass Effect, but I always have room to add yet another game to my backlog.   retard

Looking forward to playing Gears again with all of the familiar faces.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2008, 04:20:03 PM

Who am I kidding.  I'm in tonight for MP.  I'll pick up a copy on my way home from work.  The wife has a friend visiting for the weekend, the girls are having a "girls night out", and Moliere has plans so our pool night is postponed, so it's almost as if it were meant to be.  Granted I just picked up Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, and I'm 30 hours into Mass Effect, but I always have room to add yet another game to my backlog.   retard

lol Pete!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:38:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2008, 04:33:20 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2008, 04:20:03 PM

lol Pete!

I've spent the past week or so attempting to justify to myself why I shouldn't pick up Gears of War 2 because of my existing backlog, my inability to play online with any level of regularity, the money I've already spent on games I haven't yet had time to play, my bending of our "finish one game before buying a new one" rule, have to face the wife after buying another game I won't have time to play, and yet how can I honestly sit here and say that I'm not going to pick up a copy.  Gears of War MP was some of the most fun I've ever had playing online MP, and I'd be crazy to deny myself that same level of enjoyment and then some simply due to time constraints or concerns that Gears MP will be overshadowed by upcoming MP games like COD5 on the horizon.  While the fun may be short lived, there's no guarantee that my concerns will become a reality, and even if they do, that short bit of MP popularity will be more than worth the experience.

IN!

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

Ugh. Why am I reading this thread. I have a 3 month old which leaves me with about 2 hours of play time a week. I still need to play more of SR2. Nooooo! Must wait.

LiveTAG: happydog
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »

Got it last night, will be playing tonight too - so send me an invite.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 07, 2008, 04:57:07 PM

Ugh. Why am I reading this thread. I have a 3 month old which leaves me with about 2 hours of play time a week. I still need to play more of SR2. Nooooo! Must wait.

And reviews are overwhelmingly positiveicon_eek  I've learned a valuable lesson throughout my career and my marriage.  When it comes to things like this, it is far easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.   icon_twisted

I've even gone so far as to reason the cost of the game and I have a good explanation rehearsed for my wife as well.  She suggested that I find something to do for myself tonight as the girls are all going out together.  Given that I would normally play pool for five or more hours and rack up a $50+ bar tab, instead I'll be safely at home drinking beer we already have in the fridge and playing a game that costs more or less the equivalent of a PeteRock night out.  It really is a win-win for everyoneninja  But I'm sure it sounds better here then when I will have to explain this to my wife. 

And an FYI for all of the original Gears of War loyalists, Snrub1 verified that his wife is out of town for the weekend and he's picking up his copy of Gears 2 on his way home from dinner.  He should be online around 8pm Arizona (which is now only two hours earlier than eastern time). 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

Does anyone know what the local MP is like?  In the original Gears we could play local co-op and local MP versus, but MP was limited to just one-on-one.  In order to play online I needed a second gold Live account for two of us to log in and play with online friends.  Does the same apply to Gears 2, can guests play instead of needing two Live gold accounts (we have two or three on our Xbox so that isn't really an issue), and is MP even available for two players on the same Xbox? 

A friend of mine from work may be interested in getting in on some online action but I'd hate to get his hopes up if Gears 2 doesn't work for online play with two on the same Xbox like with the original.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »

You bastards I was going to only play single player, but I might have to join in tonight for some MP.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »

Just got it.  Going to pop it in the theater here at work sometime this afternoon.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »

It's a long shot, but did anyone manage to snag extra midnight launch codes for the extra weapon skin? If so, who do I have to kill to get one?

Just got my LE from BestBuy, off to stomp some heads!  icon_twisted
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

UPS just delivered my goodies smile
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »

Man.... I knew I shoulda stayed away from here for a while....  icon_evil bastards....
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »

I picked it up this morning and played about an hour and a half.  So far, I am loving it.  It's the same Gears we remember - lots of fighting, lots of shooting.  Gritty, tense wargame.  The graphics are excellent - maybe a little better than the first time around.  The outdoor areas seem more colorful.  The plot seems a little more developed and there's some more backstory.  There are a few new characters, as well as some old friends.  There's a new gun I like, and you can now chainsaw through obstacles.  It's a very easy world to get immersed in.  Sound is excellent.  The guns feel "right".  There isn't really much more to say.  If you liked the first one, you'll love this one.  The first hour and a half have been a thrillride.  There were one or two sections I had to play through a few times before I figured out what they wanted me to do.  I expect it to be fairly short, and I'm fine with that.  I am supposed to go out tonight, but if I get home early, I'd love to play some mp.  It looks like the campaign co-op is 2 player again.  There looks to be another game type for 4 player co-op against hordes of locust.  I'm guessing same mp as the first, plus a training mode for mp against bots.

Mm, yummy.

I haven't found any COG tags yet.  I don't know if they took those out, or they are better hidden, or I'm just not paying attention.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:05:05 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2008, 05:04:13 PM

I've even gone so far as to reason the cost of the game and I have a good explanation rehearsed for my wife as well.  She suggested that I find something to do for myself tonight as the girls are all going out together.  Given that I would normally play pool for five or more hours and rack up a $50+ bar tab, instead I'll be safely at home drinking beer we already have in the fridge and playing a game that costs more or less the equivalent of a PeteRock night out.  It really is a win-win for everyoneninja  But I'm sure it sounds better here then when I will have to explain this to my wife. 

Don't forget Toys R US has a 15$ gift card with purchase and Circuit City has a free 1600 Live points card with purchase.  Unfortunately the CC here is one of the ones closing and not getting any new inventory so I went to where kids can be kids.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 06:25:57 PM »

Got it! I'm up for Co-op anytime folks....or deathmatch  ninja

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on November 07, 2008, 05:37:21 PM

It's a long shot, but did anyone manage to snag extra midnight launch codes for the extra weapon skin? If so, who do I have to kill to get one?

Just got my LE from BestBuy, off to stomp some heads!  icon_twisted

Did you get the remote control vehicle that you could get if you pre-ordered a copy?  If so, is it worth getting?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:30 PM »

I didn't, out of fear that I'd be mercilessly mocked by my girlfriend.  icon_lol
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »

Did you at least see how big it is?  I have a BB pre-order, but I might get that refunded if it is the size of a matchbox car.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »

I've only been able to play a bit due to "working from home", but I can say that the game is absolutely gorgeous.  Also Normal feels too easy.  I think I will restart on Hard.  Also I think Marcus moves slower than in Gears 1.   I might just be used to Fallou 3 and Resistance 2 move speed though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2008, 08:58:07 PM

I've only been able to play a bit due to "working from home", but I can say that the game is absolutely gorgeous.  Also Normal feels too easy.  I think I will restart on Hard.  Also I think Marcus moves slower than in Gears 1.   I might just be used to Fallou 3 and Resistance 2 move speed though.

I had the same thoughts.  Except I'm playing on casual and think I'll hit Normal.  The last one was kind of brutal at times, so I wimped.  Does anyone know if it gets really tough down the road?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2008, 09:23:27 PM

I had the same thoughts.  Except I'm playing on casual and think I'll hit Normal.  The last one was kind of brutal at times, so I wimped.  Does anyone know if it gets really tough down the road?

I've read that the game is similar to Halo 3 in that it was tuned for playing on Hard for average gamers.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 07, 2008, 09:29:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2008, 09:23:27 PM

I've only been able to play a bit due to "working from home", but I can say that the game is absolutely gorgeous.  Also Normal feels too easy.  I think I will restart on Hard.  Also I think Marcus moves slower than in Gears 1.   I might just be used to Fallou 3 and Resistance 2 move speed though.

I've read that the game is similar to Halo 3 in that it was tuned for playing on Hard for average gamers.

Are there 3 difficulty settings or 4? I played the original on casual because hard was a little bit much when I first started out. I had heard they were going to have casual, normal, hard and insane this time, with normal being more like normal in other games.

On X-play they said that the on-rails shooting parts are significantly harder than the other parts of the games, so if you are feeling pretty challenged, you should prepare to get frustrated during those parts. I haven't played the game yet, so I can't confirm.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »

Horde is a total blast, can't wait to play some more of that.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 07, 2008, 06:03:22 PM

I haven't found any COG tags yet.  I don't know if they took those out, or they are better hidden, or I'm just not paying attention.

I haven't seen any but I did find a collectible, it was a newspaper I think. They also show finding collectibles in the achievements so I'm guessing those replaced the COGs.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Simon on November 07, 2008, 09:50:19 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 07, 2008, 06:03:22 PM

I haven't seen any but I did find a collectible, it was a newspaper I think. They also show finding collectibles in the achievements so I'm guessing those replaced the COGs.

Yep, there's paper items to collect now.  They are all paper-like it seems, but not always newspapers.  Documents would be a good descr.

Sorry about the decline Simon, I can't stay in front of the tv for too long until after the work day is officially over frown
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »

Quote from: Graham on November 07, 2008, 08:42:55 PM

Did you at least see how big it is?  I have a BB pre-order, but I might get that refunded if it is the size of a matchbox car.

Someone got it here.  It's pretty much the same size as most any radio-controlled car.  Definitely bigger than a matchbox car.  The big negative with it is that it takes a 9-volt battery and doesn't include one, so we haven't been able to actual see it in action.  I had no idea they were doing this promo or I definitely would have gotten it to terrorize my cat smile

I played the game for about 20 minutes in the theater.  My advice if you played Gears 1 - skip the training section.  BORING.  I feel bad for making people watch me sit there and shoot bottles and stuff.  Other than that, game looks about as awesome as one would expect.  VERY, in other words.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

Off to Best Buy.  I'm such a consumer whore.  Fabulous

At least I have a $5 off coupon from my Reward Zone membership.  That'll at least make the collector's edition seem more worth it for only an additional $5 instead of the usual $10. 

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

I did the midnight gamestop pickup.  First...I'm old.   Really old.   Out of about 60 people in the store, there were 6 -8 adults.   4 of them were parents who were there for their kids.     I was definitely the oldest of the actual gamers.

They had giveaways (pick a number out of a jar) every 10 minutes.  Mostly crap stuff but there was a "gears" package including the game itself. Wish I had won. I was 1 number off.

For the 2 hours before they could sell it, they had 3 machines setup playing Gears 2 Locust Horde mode with the customers taking turns.   I wasn't brave enough to compete with the kiddies in front of a crowd but it looked very, very cool and fun to play.

Anyway, impressions after an hour and 1/2 of co-op gameplay with a friend:

• Graphics are stunning IMO.  I had played gears 1 the night before for a bit and it is noticeably better in both texture detail and color palette.
  • Along the same lines, they've tweaked the audio sounds.   I like the changes so far.
  • More cut scenes thus more story.  There was 1 that ran a little long but not too bad.
  • Feels more epic (pun intended).   I got a sense of much grander happenings.   If you've watched some of the gameplay footage online, I've played through the "ride" (don't want to give more detail than that for fear of spoilers) plus a little bit more.
  • Love the locust assault rifle.  Feels meaty.
  • For the achievement whores: there are popups that give you an idea of progress on your achievements.  Nice addition.
  • I've forgotten how coarse the language is in Gears.  Don't play when kiddies are in earshot.

I haven't really played with any of the other cool new "features" (crawling around, meat shield, etc) but a lot of that comes more into play with multiplayer in my mind.   I did see my co-op friend do a meat shield once and it was impressive.

- shaggy

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »

My 360 is out for repairs or I'd be all over this.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 11:38:26 PM »

I haven't fired it up yet, but I'm 50 pages from the end of the book and it's a must read if you're a fan of the games.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

Ok I started over on Hard and it plays more like I was expecting.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »

Just about regretting buying this now.  First off, let me say I actually liked the graphics more in the first game.  I personally think the color palette is even drabber.  I thoutht that the whole training the rookie level was almost a black and white game.  But it's Gears and still looks very good of course.

I am at the point where you have to shoot down the mortars and stop the reapers from ramming your rig and have died like 20 times trying to do that.  And nothing, and I mean nothing I do works.  Die every time.  Just about ready to give up and put this up for sale.  Almost like it was ramped up for coop.  

Never had this level of frustration with any moment in the first game.  Even the end boss battle.  I dunno 'bout this one just now.   Just more frustrated than anything else at the moment and need to let off some steam.  

Deep breaths.....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 08, 2008, 12:36:06 AM

Just about regretting buying this now.  First off, let me say I actually liked the graphics more in the first game.  I personally think the color palette is even drabber.  I thoutht that the whole training the rookie level was almost a black and white game.  But it's Gears and still looks very good of course.

I am at the point where you have to shoot down the mortars and stop the reapers from ramming your rig and have died like 20 times trying to do that.  And nothing, and I mean nothing I do works.  Die every time.  Just about ready to give up and put this up for sale.  Almost like it was ramped up for coop.  

Never had this level of frustration with any moment in the first game.  Even the end boss battle.  I dunno 'bout this one just now.   Just more frustrated than anything else at the moment and need to let off some steam.  

Deep breaths.....

You might have a point there.  I was playing co-op hardcore through that section and didn't have any issue's with it.  Having 2 guns shoot at the mortars would make a world of difference.   He was on the mounted turret and I had the lancer.

- shaggy

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 02:45:46 AM »

Well, I got past it finally and am now deep underground.  After about 4 hours I still think I like the first game more.  Not digging the flow of the game as much as the first nor the look.   Still good combat no question though.  Can't argue there.  But I think in the end I am gonna wish I rented it, beat it, and moved on.

When done I fully expect to sell it. Anyone interest in this for $42 shipped when I am done, say so.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: