http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War - "casual" or "hardcore" for first time through?  (Read 1446 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »

How accurate are the difficulty descriptions?  The descriptions in-game make it sound like "casual" is easy and "hardcore" is for people who have played a few shooters, but I played the training on "hardcore" and died a bunch of times.  Is it just a matter of getting comfortable with the cover system, or is "hardcore" actually hard?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »

I played through on casual first and it was pretty easy.  The amount of damage the bad guys take on hardcore is alot....I mean a whole clip per target.  I would suggest play through act 1 on casual to get familiar with the game and where the bad guys come from and then make a decision on the difficulty.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »

I'll probably play on the mid difficulty the first time...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on May 25, 2008, 07:20:02 PM

I played through on casual first and it was pretty easy.  The amount of damage the bad guys take on hardcore is alot....I mean a whole clip per target.

From what I understand the way around this is to go for headshots, no?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »

But even then, it was still a chore.  Even worse, enemies had no reaction to taking fire so it felt like you were doing no damage to them at all.

I'd actually recommend you play through on casual.  Hardcore just wasn't fun even though casual was a little easy.  I just didn't like the disparity between body and headshot damage and how much damage the player took in that mode.  Even in casual, there'll be difficult spots, but play it in hardcore and you'll encounter a lot of frustrating moments.

Thankfully in gears two I think they said there's 4 difficulty settings, or at least they've refined the current settings.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »

Yeah. I only played through hardcore for the achievements... it is hardcore, and you then NEED to use blindfire (aka burn-through-ammo).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

Isn't there some sort of Insane mode that gets unlocked if you've finished Hardcore?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

I'd say do it on Casual.  I've played plenty of shooters but casual was just more fun and less punishing to me. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05:35 PM »

Well, casual makes the final boss tolerable. On hardcore I simply could not get past him, even after multiple attempts. I would have been really upset if I played through an entire game, and couldn't actually finish it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:38:09 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 25, 2008, 09:05:39 PM

Isn't there some sort of Insane mode that gets unlocked if you've finished Hardcore?

Yes, and they mean it. How does insta-death from enemy melee attacks sound to you? disgust

I co-op played through to Act 4 on it with Fyedaddy, and two things finally wore me out on it:
1) For some reason I wasn't credited with the achievement for completing act 3 on Insane when we finished it (he at least got the achievement, but still, that sucked for me)
2) The melee insta-death just did it in for me. It'd be one thing if it worked both ways (if I could do the same to them), making melee a risky but potentially rewarding proposition, but instead it's just ridiculous handicapping for the AI.

I love the game, but at this point I'd rather replay it on hardcore than play more Insane.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on May 26, 2008, 05:38:09 AM

I co-op played through to Act 4 on it with Fyedaddy, and two things finally wore me out on it:
1) For some reason I wasn't credited with the achievement for completing act 3 on Insane when we finished it (he at least got the achievement, but still, that sucked for me)

You only get those achievements if you're playing as Marcus.  The achievements you would get at that time were the Dom achievements, Dom-curious and Domination.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

I re-started on casual.  It seems a lot easier than hardcore, almost too easy, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it later on.  I am through Act 1.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 26, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

You only get those achievements if you're playing as Marcus.  The achievements you would get at that time were the Dom achievements, Dom-curious and Domination.

Then how did I get the achievements for Insane completion on Act 1 & Act 2 playing as Dom, eh? icon_wink Methinks you may be mistaken.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on May 27, 2008, 11:34:49 PM

Then how did I get the achievements for Insane completion on Act 1 & Act 2 playing as Dom, eh? icon_wink Methinks you may be mistaken.

Strange...I got no such achievements while playing as Dom.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 27, 2008, 11:58:53 PM

Quote from: Farscry on May 27, 2008, 11:34:49 PM

Strange...I got no such achievements while playing as Dom.

I'm pretty sure you can as Dom.  It's possible that you missed a chapter somewhere along the way...?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »

Long ago I struggled through the first two or three acts on Hardcore but eventually lost interest and moved on to the new hotness.  Recently I got back into the SP campaign as I'd like to finish it before the release of Gears of War 2, and after about 15 minutes of ridiculous frustration on Hardcore I started over on Casual and the game has been much more fun.  Yes, it is a little easier, but not so much as to make the game boring.  Hardcore ramps up the difficulty a little too much, and playing felt too much like a chore. 

Even though Casual feels a little easier than I might prefer, it is far more fun than Hardcore, and I'm finally enjoying the game rather than struggling through as some sort of exercise in frustration. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »

Ninja Gaiden on the X-Box taught me that I'd rather a game be slightly easy than frustratingly hard. icon_wink Gears' Hardcore difficulty was, most of the time, just right, so I enjoyed it. Which surprised me, since most shooters I have to play on a slightly easier setting since I suck at that. I played it co-op though, so that probably factored into the effective difficulty of the game.

Ninja Gaiden 2, on a sidenote, having easier difficulties sounds like it'll be far more enjoyable.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 28, 2008, 04:04:41 PM

Long ago I struggled through the first two or three acts on Hardcore but eventually lost interest and moved on to the new hotness.  Recently I got back into the SP campaign as I'd like to finish it before the release of Gears of War 2, and after about 15 minutes of ridiculous frustration on Hardcore I started over on Casual and the game has been much more fun.  Yes, it is a little easier, but not so much as to make the game boring.  Hardcore ramps up the difficulty a little too much, and playing felt too much like a chore. 

Even though Casual feels a little easier than I might prefer, it is far more fun than Hardcore, and I'm finally enjoying the game rather than struggling through as some sort of exercise in frustration. 

I played the game through the first time on Casual and enjoyed it tremendously.  I then played it through on Hardcore, and it was great until General Raam.  I quit playing after trying that out 100 times, give or take a few.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 04:16:00 AM »

Just last night, I completed the game on Insane.   Had to bring in a friend on RAAM.  Took us about 20 attempts.  We hadn't played in a couple months so I take mulligans on my first 5-10 attempts just getting used to the controls again.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 02:58:33 AM »

Just a little followup on this. After finishing the game on Casual, I have slowly been completing it on Hardcore. I played the first act on Hardcore after finishing it on Casual, then wanted to get the first Dom achievement, so joined someone playing on Hardcore. Turned out they were at the end of the game, so I got RAAM out of the way on co-op.  Went back this weekend to finish up acts 2-4 on Hardcore. It was challenging, but not un-fun, barring some places where I expected a struggle, like the final mansion fight.

After I finished up the Hardcore achievements, I figured I would try out Insane.  I have to tip my hat to anyone who has completed the game on this level. On the second chapter it already felt harder than the hardest levels on Hardcore. I think I'd have as much fun trying Insane as playing COD on Veteran - no fun at all.  You people have some real patience to work through that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: