http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:55:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCN Deals?  (Read 1668 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:43:59 AM »

Well, Im caving in again (what with paper mario and RE4 here now) and im going to get a GCN again. What are some deals right now? I need to get it as cheap as possible. I found refurbished ones at ebgames for only $60, is that the best im going to find or is there a better deal out ther right now? Thanks  biggrin  :idea:
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:04:59 AM »

Well, I think that may be the best "deal" out there for Gamecubes.  You could perhaps look on Ebay, but there would be a risk factor involved there.  So I'd say a nice refurbished $60 cube would be the way to go.

And it's a great time to own one again.  I was in the same boat - had one, but traded it away.  But then I recently bought one and I've been playing that system the most, with Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario 2, and Resident Evil.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:31:23 AM »

I had to buy a new GC recently.  Still had the old one, but hadn't used it in a while, then tried to fire up Metroid Prime 2 after having ordered RE4 as well, and it wouldn't recognize any disks.  So I bought a refurb from EB.  No problems at all, works great.  Some scratches on the case from previous owners, but it works fine.

Besides saving money, the other reason I bought a refurb is that new gameecubes (manufactured since May 2004) do not have a digital out port  any more and can't do component output!  I didn't have any guarantee the refurb I got would be old enough to have it either, but it does, so if I ever get around to ordering the Digital->component cable, I should be set smile  I'm using an Svideo cable and it looks fine, but the digital->component cable ought to do 480p for games that support it.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:49:07 AM »

I just havnt been paying attention much lately so I was wondering if I had missed anything. Sounds like refurbished is the cheapest option. Ebay they all run pretty high compared to $60. Anyways, Thanks for the help. looks like ill be picking up a new one in the next month or so.

Last big game I played on the GCN was probably mario kart. Ive got lots of catching up to do. Hopefully it will be worth it. Im a huge fan of the resident evil series, so im guessing it will.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:43:39 AM »

Hey t.o., why would they stop making the digital outs on the newer cubes?

As for me, I bought mine on launch day and it's holding up like a champ.  One thing about the Big N, they make their hardware solid.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:57:54 AM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Hey t.o., why would they stop making the digital outs on the newer cubes?

As for me, I bought mine on launch day and it's holding up like a champ.  One thing about the Big N, they make their hardware solid.

To quote Nintendo's own page

The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101)

Additional Information:

Why have you removed the component video feature from the Nintendo GameCube?
      On newer models of the Nintendo GameCube, we opted to remove the digital A/V out port from the system because we found that less than one percent of all Nintendo GameCube players used this feature.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »

Thanks, man!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 09:15:47 AM »

nm. too tired to make complex and sarcastic posts.  might try again tomorrow.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 12:54:23 PM »

I just re-bought a Cube a couple weeks ago and have been loving it.  I picked up one of the holiday bundles that included Mario Cart and a $15 coupon off any new game for $90.  In retrospect, I probably should have gone with a refurb one, since I've played Mario Cart for a grand total of about 10 minutes.  Could have saved myself some $$.

Baten Kaitos and Paper Mario 2 are great games.  I keep telling myself I'm going to finish at least one of them before getting RE4, but I doubt that will actually happen.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:19:27 PM »

When I buy a Gamecube (which is inevitable... sigh) does it come with a memory card or do I need to purchase one separately?

Edit: oh and one more thing.  I know it's common to abbreviate it GCN but where in the heck does the N come from?  There is no N in Gamecube...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 03:19:14 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
When I buy a Gamecube (which is inevitable... sigh) does it come with a memory card or do I need to purchase one separately?

Edit: oh and one more thing.  I know it's common to abbreviate it GCN but where in the heck does the N come from?  There is no N in Gamecube...

1.  You need to buy a memory card seperate.  They have small ones and large ones that range from $5 to $30.  Since I mainly just play RPG's that don't typically require a ton of storage space, I got one of the small ones used for $5.  

2.  Gamecube Nintendo, maybe?  Dunno.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 03:44:44 PM »

Some other system had NGC already.  I think it was the Neo-Geo?  Any way, Nintendo had to use GCN instead.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »

Hmm, still checking out ebay. They seem to be overpriced there.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 09:48:47 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

Some other system had NGC already.  I think it was the Neo-Geo?  Any way, Nintendo had to use GCN instead.

I want to say it was the Neo-Geo Color.  There was a portable system that they had.  If I wasn't at work I would double check myself, but I believe that's the reasoning.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »

The reason only 1% of the component cable was used was because you had to order it only from nintendo and not get it at the store.

I don't know why they did that.  I want one but $30 is quite high.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: