http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:04:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GBA Recommendation  (Read 1255 times)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2005, 06:52:17 PM »

So I have one of the old GBA's and I really want to upgrade it.  I'm sick of its ugly look and no backlight, not to mention its gone through a few battles..but I have a few options.  

First I would like a SP cause I like the design and how its compact, but then there is also the DS which give me more options in games but is a little bigger.  Then there is always the mini gba that is coming out, but im not sure when that would be and its got a smaller screen.

So would it be best to go with the DS since its the next step up? or should I stay cheap and get a SP?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 07:53:35 PM »

I'd say the DS is probably your best choice simply because it is only $149.99, the SP is $79.99.  The DS will play all GBA games, BUT it will not play original GameBoy games (like Link's Awakening).  The SP plays GBA and original GB games.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:05:02 PM »

Depending on your tastes, there are a lot of cool DS games coming up (Mario & Luigi 2!, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, a new Super Mario platformer, Mario Kart, Castlevania, and a bunch of others.  I think it would definitely be worth the money to go for the DS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:26:50 PM »

I'd say DS.

It looks to be getting some really good games now that its been out a bit based on E3. It also has a better screen (true backlist?) than the GBA SP (or so I've head) so makes your GBA games look better. Go check out some reviews and previews and see if it interests you.

If you just want the ability to play what you already have then go with the GBA SP (Micro has smaller screen and the SP is still small enough to fit in a pocket).

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 12:07:09 AM »

Definitely DS. Plays GBA games, and you'll be all set for the killer lineup (which is right around the corner.)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:12:09 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I'd say the DS is probably your best choice simply because it is only $149.99, the SP is $79.99.  The DS will play all GBA games, BUT it will not play original GameBoy games (like Link's Awakening).  The SP plays GBA and original GB games.

And in addition, the DS will NOT play any GBA multiplayer titles. The link cable simply won't work. But the DS has a better screen, and it has true stereo sound without a headset.

Your choice in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 04:15:24 AM »

Forgot about that part...I don't own a DS as of yet, so I forget those little things slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:09:21 AM »

I'm going to buy an original GBA (hopefully with an afterburner backlight) just for Rebelstar Raiders and its multiplayer.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »

I think i'll probley end up getting the DS, I rarely ever play older games, but I have my current GBA if I feel the need to.  I also rarely play anything multiplayer.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I'm going to buy an original GBA (hopefully with an afterburner backlight) just for Rebelstar Raiders and its multiplayer.

me and my friend installed the afterburner a few years ago on our GBAs and it made the screen look cloudy.  My friend didn't mind it but it bugged the hell out of me so I took it out.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 08:17:11 PM »

I didn't know the DS can't play Gameboy Games! That's too bad.

PSN ID: EduardoX
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

so it was a long story but I got a ds..

I traded in some old games and movies which went okay, and I went back to work after buying it on my lunch break..first as I was opening it up it seemed like it was repackaged (which annoyed me) but I figured I would deal.  

Everything is going good and I launch a GBA game and there is a blue dot in the middle of the screen, so i figured maybe there is something wrong withe using the GBA game, so I put a DS game in and its the same.  So I leave on my 10 minute break, speeding through traffic and get there in 6 mins..the guy says its probley a dead pixel (which i figured..but i'm not having that) and he is not sure what the return policy is for it.  So the manager steps up and asks to see my receipt as if I am lying..and finally tells the employee to go ahead and do it..acting as if it is my fault that it happend.

But either way..atleast it's working now. But I do have a question..if Im going through the menu and go into options..how do  i get  back to the main screen?  or even if im in a game how do it back out to the DS main screen..or is it normal to have to turn it off and back on?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: