http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GBA questions of all sorts  (Read 1478 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:50:03 PM »

Well, im heading off to europe on wensday, and I wanted to have a GBA SP for the trip, sinc I will be spending lots of time on trains. What is the cost difference in europe as compared to the US? Will it still work with the US games? Im wondering about these questions because I might be purchasing it when I get to europe.

The other option was getting it before I leave. I have a 15 hour plane flight before I go, so I wouldnt mind it for that either. But, although Im not sure this fits here, what would my options be for power when I get to europe? How would I be able to recharge it? Is there somewhere I can get a european charger that works the same once I get there? Or an adaptor of some sort?

And a third question: I havnt been following the GBA market lately, what are some good games out for it recently? I had one a year ago, but I havnt kept up since then.

Thanks for any help.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:08:47 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Well, im heading off to europe on wensday, and I wanted to have a GBA SP for the trip, sinc I will be spending lots of time on trains. What is the cost difference in europe as compared to the US? Will it still work with the US games? Im wondering about these questions because I might be purchasing it when I get to europe.

The other option was getting it before I leave. I have a 15 hour plane flight before I go, so I wouldnt mind it for that either. But, although Im not sure this fits here, what would my options be for power when I get to europe? How would I be able to recharge it? Is there somewhere I can get a european charger that works the same once I get there? Or an adaptor of some sort?

Well, Nintendo has always never had any lockout on their portable consoles, so a GBA SP (or GB, GBC, or GBA) are fully compatible with all games across the world without any modification. So, in short, if you purchase your console in the US, it'll work on all European games (and vice versa).

As far as power goes... The GBA SP comes with a recharger device for the console. All you'll need to do is find some way to convert the standard US plug into one that'll fit into your standard European jack. Check around your local hardware store or visit a gift shop at any International Terminal for what you'll need.

As far as the games go... Well, I don't play my SP enough to warrant answering that question. Anyone else? smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 08:11:24 PM »

What kind of games do you like?  

Right now I have been having a great time with Mario Golf - Advance Tour.  This year I have also loved Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 2, and Ultimate Card Games off the top of my head.

There seem to be games for every taste I can imagine so I hope you can find something.

Check out www.gamerankings.com and look at what has been hightly rated in each catagory.

Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:15:21 PM »

I took mine to Europe in May.  I didn't end up using it as much as I thought but it is GREAT for those first couple sleepless jetlagged nights.  On trains I find that I like meeting people from the surrounding area when possible.

For recharging, I bought an EU converter/transformer at Brookstone right before I left and brought it along.  I saved the box so I was able to return for a full refund on my return.  I won't be going back over there for at leats a year. This method should work well for you.  If you try to buy the converter over there you will probably get taken advantage of by the tourism industry.

Hope that helps.  Be sure to visit Amsterdam.

EDIT: just thought i'd mention that the best thing I did this trip was to not bring ANY toiletries except a toothbrush and toothpaste.  Those products may all be purchased in any city at reasonable prices, and you can throw them all away before returning home.  No risk of mess in your bags, and more room for toys and souvenirs.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »

Here's a couple suggestions for games:

Astro Boy - a fun platformer/shooter from Treasure
Ninja Five-O - Cross Shinobi and Bionic Commando and this rules!
Pokemon Pinball - good pinball with an extra collecting/upgrading slant
Pokemon - I've never even played one, but a trillion people can't be too wrong
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 05:30:29 AM »

Wow guys, thanks for all the help. I think im going to pick it up before I go. I like all kinds of games so its hard for me to say what kind. Any good game is worth checking out for me.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 01:30:55 PM »

I've put in at least 85 hours playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  Easily one of the most addictive games ever, and has a ridiculous amount of playability.  I think I finished the main quest at around 55 hours, and have still kept playing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 07:26:49 PM »

Yeah, Ive been thinking about getting FF: TA. It should be cheaper now anyways right? I think im going to pick up a GBA today. Classic nintendo version!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 07:45:24 PM »

Have fun with it Chirsoc!!! Even though I don't have many situations where I need a portable gaming system, I love my GBASP and its games! smile

I heartily recommend Metroid Fusion and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. I find Donkey Kong Country to be fun too, though it doesn't look as good as the gorgeous SNES version.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 10:39:42 PM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"
I took mine to Europe in May.  I didn't end up using it as much as I thought but it is GREAT for those first couple sleepless jetlagged nights.  On trains I find that I like meeting people from the surrounding area when possible.

For recharging, I bought an EU converter/transformer at Brookstone right before I left and brought it along.  I saved the box so I was able to return for a full refund on my return.  I won't be going back over there for at leats a year. This method should work well for you.  If you try to buy the converter over there you will probably get taken advantage of by the tourism industry.

Hope that helps.  Be sure to visit Amsterdam.

EDIT: just thought i'd mention that the best thing I did this trip was to not bring ANY toiletries except a toothbrush and toothpaste.  Those products may all be purchased in any city at reasonable prices, and you can throw them all away before returning home.  No risk of mess in your bags, and more room for toys and souvenirs.

Thanks for the advice smile

One question which may come off as stupid, but I know there are two different types of converters for plugs, what kind do I need with a GBA?
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 01:57:28 AM »

Not stupid at all.  I used this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3ojaq

It's a bit on the heavy side but it has a built in circuit breaker as well I believe, so you don't blow out your GBA.

If you are only visiting Western Europe, i.e. West of Czech Republic, South of Scandinavia then that should be all you need.  They have these ones with 6 different plug sets, but that's overkill IMO.  If for some odd and unlikely reason your hotel room doesn't have the right size plug you'll get it at the next stop.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 01:59:04 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I purchased the NES gba with Final Fantasy Tactics, and then borrowed about 10 games from some friends. Hopefully  will be busy and wont be playing it too much, but you never know.

Thanks for the info on the power as well. I sahould be mostly in western europe, and if I remember right the GBA battery seems to last quite a long time anyways.

Thanks for the help all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: