http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garry's mod to be commercial  (Read 1865 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »

Garry's mod is going to be a commercial mod with version 9.1(cost $10), available through Steam.

I, for one, will not pay.

Irony- now I know how the Oblivion horse armor people feel(I saw nothing wrong with Beth charging for it).

THIS TREND MUST STOP!  that is all...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »

In all honesty, he wouldn't have released a new version at all if it wasn't for the deal they have on now.

If he can get some money for all his hard work then I'm all for it.

The new version is supposed to work with all Source engined games, right out of the box.

In essence, you're not paying for the mod, you're paying for the next version and all future updates.  The current version 9.04 remains free as a kind of demo.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 05:04:38 PM »

I don't see the problem with a mod author charging a small amount of money for all the work they do. Why should we have expectation that they do it for free?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:29:37 PM »

Did'nt care for it when it was free so no big deal to me.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 06:40:38 PM »

Yea heaven forbid we should ever pay for quality software. The guy should just support it indefinatly for free on his own time just for us gamers.... :roll:
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »

The key here is that this isn't just another new mod with all its bugs and problems.  Garry's mod has become basically a sandbox game of its own with a lot of quality programming behind it.  Seriously they have some complex systems in game that allows the mod to do all the cool things that it can do now.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »

I know not of this mod you speak.
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:19:42 AM »

I know not of this mod you speak.

Same here.  Someone pony up the info...

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

http://gmod.garry.tv/

It's a Half-Life 2 mod that basically turns the game into a physics sandbox game.  Using the source engine physics and built in scripting you can do all sorts of wacky things like post characters, script new gametypes, even create some cool Rube Goldberg type devices using common objects and physics.

Someone's used the mod to pose characters and make a pretty good webcomic with it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »

links, dammit, LINKS!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »

Know one of them is Concerned. There are a few more that I've seen but this is the only one I've got bookmarked.

A couple Goldberg videos
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6148878850469533200&q=rube+goldberg+half+life&pl=true
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8926325136071596338&q=rube+goldberg+half+life&pl=true
Ibis
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:15 PM »

Interesting ... think I'll get in the commercial mod making business now then. Hmmmm, people liked the ones I gave away in Morrowind.

I never thought I'd see the day when the Bethesda community was so "money grubbing" - used to be all about sharing and creating together. But if this is the new wind blowing, I'm onboard the boat.
:mrgreen:
=======================

PS...Brilliant videos, Andrew Wonser! In what medium were they made? I love those kind of causality sequences. :idea:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away ......... *from Farewell Note of Velda to her loving family.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »

I don't get why this mod is so popular. The most I've been able to do with it is create objects and toss them around. Err, okay?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:23 AM »

Quote from: "Ibis"
PS...Brilliant videos, Andrew Wonser! In what medium were they made? I love those kind of causality sequences. :idea:

I've never messed with Gary's mod so if I'm wrong someone please correct me. But I'm guessing the person creates the level using Gary, loads it through HL2, and records it with something like FRAPS.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »

Interesting ... think I'll get in the commercial mod making business now then. Hmmmm, people liked the ones I gave away in Morrowind.

I never thought I'd see the day when the Bethesda community was so "money grubbing" - used to be all about sharing and creating together. But if this is the new wind blowing, I'm onboard the boat.
=======================

If you're going to use a different colored text, could you pick one that isn't migraine-inspiring?

Contrast is reading's best friend.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

=======================

If you're going to use a different colored text, could you pick one that isn't migraine-inspiring?

Contrast is reading's best friend.

It looks fine to me.  But in your quotations it definitely makes me want to get my eyes checked.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"

I've never messed with Gary's mod so if I'm wrong someone please correct me. But I'm guessing the person creates the level using Gary, loads it through HL2, and records it with something like FRAPS.

Here's the cool thing about Gmod:  You can use ANY map that works for HL2 or any mod(like Empires) made for HL2.  At most you'd need manually place the necessary asset(such as custom textures) in the right folder, otherwise just drag and drop the map file into the Gmod/maps folder and off you go.

So, yes you can create your own level, or use any of the hundreds that are out there.

You can also spawn ANY model made for HL2 or its mods.  For example, you could load up the Dust map and spawn Alyx.   You have complete control over the ragdolls and any props(like weapons) that you spawn.

In terms of contraptions, you can control the physics.  You can weld items together, tied them together, etc.  So you can engineer some pretty cool things.

For making movies, the built-in HL2 movie controls are completely functional in Gmod.  You can record demos, do the 'startmovie' thing to render your frames, and use a program like Virtual Dub to create your video- all free.  Or you can record using Fraps, if that's your thing.

Yes, I'm gonna pay for it, it's more than worth it to me.  :oops:   I wish it had remained free though, it seems truer to the spirit of modding if mods remain free.

Here's a pic I made, using a custom map and the Alyx and Raptor ragdolls, to give you an idea of how it works.  I spawned Alyx and each Raptor, then posed them individually.  Then I spawned the two Deagles and put them in Alyx's hands. Then I spawned the 'prop' camera and positioned it to frame my shot.  Finally, I used the suitzoom and took the screenshot.  I'm making an action scene and this is the first frame:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: