http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:48:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming resolutions?  (Read 1930 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »

Sure there's always lots of talk about New Years Resolutions but people to talk about their New Year's Gaming resolutions (I wonder why?) much.  So I thought what the heck.

Mine are twofold:

1) Finish more games than I did last year (4)
2)And to accomplish #1, I'm going to try to concentrate on one game at a time.  I know some of you like to keep your plate full but unfortunately I'm just not able to do that.  I get into games for an hour and then I get distracted by another game and then with 3 or 4 games on the go it  all seems like too much work and I never finish any of them.  So I'm gonna try to keep it simple this year.

How bout you guys? Got a particular game that you've never  been able to get around to or don't spend as much time gaming as you would like (or spend too much time gaming?)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »

Sure, I'll try.

I would like to finish the campaigns for the Company of Heroes RTS.  I have started them, and they are fantastic.  There is no good reason as to why I never finished them.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »

I'd like to thin out my collection - get rid of all the mediocre titles that I'll never play for more than a couple of hours.  And only buy the creme de la creme going forward.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »

My biggest one is to finally complete Half-Life 2 on The Orange Box.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »

1080i.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

Selling off some of my ridiculous gaming library of PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 titles that I don't play anymore, or won't ever get back to playing regardless of how good my intentions might be.  I'm a sucker for "teh new hotnezz".  Or at least that is what my wife would like to do.  Unfortunately trade-in value is crap and I'm not sure how many takers we'll find for a number of mediocre titles that filtered into my library or older titles that have long since passed their prime.  

I guess I could try GamingTrend's trading/selling forum, and then from there I can always let my wife put things up on Ebay.  There must be someone out there looking to play Perfect Dark Zero or the original Project Gotham Racing.   ninja

I'm also hoping to finish more titles, but I say that every year and then something new comes out and distracts my attention.  But, I at least just finished Mass Effect yesterday (yes, finally), and I'm thinking about getting back into Bioshock as I'd really like to finish that sometime soon so that I could move on to other shooters in my library (Far Cry 2, Half Life 2, Gears of War 2, etc).  But single-player titles will have to wait until World at War MP popularity tapers off.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »

1080p

complete games before picking up more.  this fall I kept on picking up new games before finishing ones I already had so I never actually finished any of them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

1680x1050
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »

Use less money towards gaming.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 02, 2009, 07:58:43 PM

This isn't one of my resolutions, but I can guarantee its going to happen in 2009.  Having a baby tends to do that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 02, 2009, 07:58:43 PM

while it may not be perfect, gamefly does this much pretty well.  i've had both l4d and cod waw out on rental since launch and will not regret not having them on my shelf taking up dust when the mp crowd thins.

+1 to thinning my game shelf.  i need to sever the bond that i had for ps2 jrpg's and admit that i will never play them.  sad truth.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

Finish what I start.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 02, 2009, 08:41:27 PM

Finish what I . . .

Fixed.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »

I'll jump too:

Definitely been in the spending less on videogames for the past year and will continue to do so.

I plan to finish more games this year too. I finished several titles in 2008 but I could do better. In fact to help accomplish this, I will not buy a new game this year until I finish at least two games. Finishing means not playing them anymore. Getting to a point where I am happy with what I've gotten out of a purchase and then moving on.

I am going to get rid of a lot of stuff I am holding on to for no good reason. Either through goozex.com , trading here or CAG or I may open up an EBay account and try that route.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

Play through some of my backlog before expanding it more. Been doing ok lately but it's come to having more RPGs in it than FPS so it may take a while now...

Cull it a bit when I am through with some of it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 02, 2009, 01:11:58 PM

Sure there's always lots of talk about New Years Resolutions but people to talk about their New Year's Gaming resolutions (I wonder why?) much.  So I thought what the heck.

Mine are twofold:

1) Finish more games than I did last year (4)
2)And to accomplish #1, I'm going to try to concentrate on one game at a time.  I know some of you like to keep your plate full but unfortunately I'm just not able to do that.  I get into games for an hour and then I get distracted by another game and then with 3 or 4 games on the go it  all seems like too much work and I never finish any of them.  So I'm gonna try to keep it simple this year.

How bout you guys? Got a particular game that you've never  been able to get around to or don't spend as much time gaming as you would like (or spend too much time gaming?)

This is me to a tee. I just can't get stuck into 1 game without another looking better and doing an hour at each one.

At the moment i am doing The Witcher but Sacred 2 is already intruding. I'm a bit into Dead Space, Fallout 3, PoP and FM2009 and have Mass Effect, X3 TC and Planescape + all mods waiting to go.

Add to that i love mmo's and have Lotro and WOTLK available

I have a xbox360 with Midnight Club LA, Burnout Paradise, Fable II, Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery ready as well i think i may be doomed.

Also maybe buying a few less games as well.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »

finish Final Fantasy 10 and Dead Rising(360 version not the Wii version or the rumoured PSN version)

i have started FF10 already...then maybe i can start FF10-2 that i bought with the guide back on release day(not that i really like the look of that one)..and also FF7 Dirge of Cerberus

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »

Spend even more less money on games.

Try to play more RPG games.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »

Finally switch to hard in Rock Band 2 guitar. I can 100% most songs on medium... I really need to move up. I'm starting today with Bass. (gold starred So Whatcha Want on Expert to start slywink *giggle at a song with one bass note*

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »

I've basically made two resolutions for the year. The first is that I will no longer pay more than $40 for ANY title, no matter how much I want it. I have a large unplayed gaming library, so there is no need to spend so much money on a new release when it will always go down in price within a short period of time.

My second resolution is to only play two games at a time- one portable title and one console title. I've learned that by playing several games at once I tend to dilute my enjoyment of the games, and my chances of completing them diminish greatly.

One weakness of mine is that I have a permanent library of games that I absolutely loved, so I've convinced myself to hold onto them indefinitely. RPGs, strategy games, and adventure games tend to fall into this category. Some small part of my psyche loves the idea of going back to revisit these diamonds. Unfortunately, I never seem to go back and play them because so many new titles are always being released.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:45:31 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »

Buy NOOOOO   games new.  Not a one.  Not RE5, Killzone 2, not Final Fantasy 13, whatever.  Always wait for that inevitable price drop.  Can anyone name a title that didn't hit $39.99 or lower with 2 months of release?  Some going as low as $19.99 in that time period.  

Finish more games.

By years end have no backlog.  Right now it is about 15 games deep.   Then weed out the collection to my top 12 and never let it get above that.  Always keeping a dirty dozen comprising multiple genres for rainy days.  

And save money for the year end sales and flood.  

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 03, 2009, 08:37:37 PM

Buy NOOOOO   games new.  Not a one.  Not RE5, Killzone 2, not Final Fantasy 13, whatever.  Always wait for that inevitable price drop.  Can anyone name a title that didn't hit $39.99 or lower with 2 months of release?  Some going as low as $19.99 in that time period. 

Finish more games.

By years end have no backlog.  Right now it is about 15 games deep.   Then weed out the collection to my top 12 and never let it get above that.  Always keeping a dirty dozen comprising multiple genres for rainy days. 

And save money for the year end sales and flood. 

Great idea that I wish I had the discipline to complete. At last count I have 95 unplayed games in my closet. A friend of mine looked through my unplayed collection and said that I would need to play for 40 hours a week, for about 60 weeks, just to get through my backlog. And yet I keep buying games for the PC, DS, PSP, PS3,PS2, 360....

And most of those games were not purchased on sale.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »

I don't really have any for 2009.

2008 was a great year of gaming and it also saw me extricate myself from a lot of the gaming hobby- I stopped listening to podcasts (at times up to 4 per week, which was on average of over 6 hrs of gaming info going into my brain), cut down to a single gaming mag, and stopped checking multiple sites (pretty much just GT and occaisonally Giantbomb).

So I'm not as 'hardcore' as I used to be, but it's also been freeing in a way- as I'm actually surprised by a lot of things I read in my now one magazine subscription and what you guys bring up (Left 4 Dead and Dead Space being but a couple examples of wonderful gems that I wasn't expecting ).

I guess if I have one resolution, it would be not to fall for the gaming rush at the end of the year and limit myself to only one or two titles for Q4.  The rest will have to way until 2010.  The only game I can think of right now that I'd want that's coming out Q4 would be COD6.

In fact, I really have no idea what games are even coming out this year at all.  It's kind of neat actually.  nod
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »

720p for me. slywink

My biggest resolution is to stick to the strategy I started in 2008 of only buying games that feature offline mplay. Unless it's a really long game it just isn't worth it for me to, due to my family and friends gameplay style's, to not rent SP or online only games. And if it's a long game I'm going to discipline myself to hold out until it becomes affordable; not always an easy thing with the strong forum effect here. smile
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:57:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 03, 2009, 08:10:55 PM

Finally switch to hard in Rock Band 2 guitar. I can 100% most songs on medium... I really need to move up. I'm starting today with Bass. (gold starred So Whatcha Want on Expert to start slywink *giggle at a song with one bass note*

That's me, except I'm going to try and make the jump from hard to expert guitar. I do pretty good on expert on many songs now, but hell I still fail out on hard mode on some of the crazy ones (Snow Me, Battery, etc).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 03:31:43 AM »

Uh... finish the artwork for Orgull's game?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 04:26:12 AM »

here's the key to finishing a game you get(be it actually finishing or thinking it sucks and are done with it). you don't have to buy a game at release.

it was a bitch for me with so many rpg's being released almost back to back. but i stuck to it. i beat UI, ff4 and about to finish DQ4 and P4. Next up is probably tales and going to get chrono trigger for ds.

i've been there needing to buy everything that came out. then i noticed something. i won't go back to play a game as i'll either forget about it or just get distracted by the next shiny object. not only do you get to wait and see if the hype is real(usually it's not) you can probably find it cheaper. i do buy games at release, but i already know i'm going to get it. games like p4 I knew about so that was easy. I think i'm going to start using goozex too seeing how i rarely replay a game and games like UI I know I won't play again. it was good, but very faulted.

also getting back into wow helps, heh.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:15 AM »

I'll continue clearing my pc backlog and acquiring a few more bargain bin game that my old rig can run. Maybe mess with some more NWN, OFP or ArmA mods or attempt my own.

My main enemy will be controlling my WII collection though I got a lot of the main games with christmas/giftcards. I play games slowly so it will keep me busy awhile. If not I always have my xbox/ps2 backlog to fall back on when I can actually use the main tv. Guess I should clear out some DS/PSP games too when the main tv is busy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »

I just thought of another one for me:  NO NEW MMO's!  I've already got a bunch sitting around gathering dust so I don't need anymore.  about the only exception I will make is Star Wars: The Old Republic, but I doubt that it will be out this year anyways.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

1080p FTW.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2009, 04:18:04 PM

I just thought of another one for me:  NO MMO's!  

Fixed.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 04, 2009, 04:26:12 AM

here's the key to finishing a game you get(be it actually finishing or thinking it sucks and are done with it). you don't have to buy a game at release.

it was a bitch for me with so many rpg's being released almost back to back. but i stuck to it. i beat UI, ff4 and about to finish DQ4 and P4. Next up is probably tales and going to get chrono trigger for ds.

i've been there needing to buy everything that came out. then i noticed something. i won't go back to play a game as i'll either forget about it or just get distracted by the next shiny object. not only do you get to wait and see if the hype is real(usually it's not) you can probably find it cheaper. i do buy games at release, but i already know i'm going to get it. games like p4 I knew about so that was easy. I think i'm going to start using goozex too seeing how i rarely replay a game and games like UI I know I won't play again. it was good, but very faulted.

also getting back into wow helps, heh.

two things to note, especially with RPGs release by Atlus, sometimes it doesn't pay to wait on buying the game, a lot of Atlus releases are small runs, so if you want a title you should get it, but just hide it slywink

If you do go goozex and haven't signed up, let one of us send you a referral link, you'll get a free trade & 100 points and you'll hook one of us up too.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »

I haven't really made any resolutions, but I hope to buy less and put more time into ones I have.  I think I've been saying that for years now though.  icon_smile

I also need to decide on which MMO to keep along with WoW.  There's a lot of good ones out there now...it's hard to decide.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: