http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:52:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming News: B.C. Development Suspended  (Read 2105 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:28:42 PM »

Since our ability to post news on the site is down, I thought I would put this here.  According to the B.C. FAQ on Lionhead's site development has been suspended for B.C.  Peter Molyneaux had this to say:

"The decision to suspend work on any games project is always a very difficult one, particularly when it is a title with the potential of BC. We hope to revive the project at a later date and will endeavour to assign as many of the team as possible to other Lionhead projects."

Ummm...what other projects do they have outside of The Movies and Black and White 2?  They just asked for more moolah based on the successful sales of Fable.

I know a few of us here at CG were looking forward to B.C..

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 01:32:28 PM »

Yep, I was following BC. This is a bummer, but there are sooooo many great games coming out, that I don't know if it'll be missed all that much. The concept looked really cool, though.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:35:27 PM »

Ack.. noooo... I was realy looking forwards to that one. However I do understand that most of the people who saw it said it just wasn't coming together.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 03:16:52 PM »

I have a feeling that it was a bit more of a vague design than they ever let on.  There were very few details of actual gameplay and goals from the very beginning, and I think they finally realized that people were getting a bit sick of buying these games they had hyped to be the second coming and falling far short.  

Of course that's just speculation.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »

Bummer indeed.  But perhaps they'll be put the resources towards Fable 2 for the X-Box 2 launch.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 08:07:26 PM »

What in the world is BC?  Is it an abbreviation, or is that the name of the game?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 08:11:02 PM »

That really sucks.  BC was my most anticipated game for next year frown

Wake up.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:14:50 PM »

I had so much hope for this game.  I mean come on, develop language, learn primative science (fire, stonework, etc) and use it all to interact with a live environment of gorgeous dinos?  It was one of the top 3 games I was lookin forward to.  Think this is bad sign for LH?  First he apologizes for Fable then BC suspended... think Moly has George Jung syndrome (from Blow... "In the end my vision far surpassed my talent...")?  I think they're comin up with big ideas and not bein able to deliver - I just wish they'd figure out the cans and cants in a brainstormin session BEFORE I start lookin' forward for a game that looks damn near implemented.  Oh well - and The Movies is NOT gonna pan out - itll be like theme hospital or some such thing and probably pretty neato - but as far as creatin' entire movies from scratch? No - more like scripts and changin' furniture around but this WILL NOT be as open ended as people think - it cant if only from mere tedium.  My 2cents.  Majorly bummed bout BC though - please come back cause all that bad stuff said aside I know Ill still get you smile With lower expectations yes but even if ya turn out a stupid action adventure (Buffy w/ Dinos?) Ill get you if only for what you once were smile
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 08:20:11 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
What in the world is BC?  Is it an abbreviation, or is that the name of the game?

It's the name of the game.  You play a caveman and go through life.  B.C. as in Before Christ biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »

*Crosses Fingers*
Maybe they are trying to be more Politically Correct.

Lets see if they announce production on a game called BCE (Before Common Era) anytime soon.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 11:34:12 PM »

And it had dinosaurs in it? Obviously they weren't aiming at it being an educational game Tongue

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 11:43:26 PM »

thumbsdown

LiveTAG: happydog
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 04:21:54 AM »

Oh man ... well, we may never know how good or bad the final product would have been.  Looked interesting on paper, and from the videos.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »

The funny thing to me is that it seemed that they were pretty far along in development.  Cancelling games that are early in development is one thing, but they've been working on this sucker for 4 years, it seems.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 05:11:46 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
The funny thing to me is that it seemed that they were pretty far along in development.  Cancelling games that are early in development is one thing, but they've been working on this sucker for 4 years, it seems.

Very true, and yet I never heard any concrete gameplay descriptions.  Vague ideas are great for a high concept, but you need to get down to the nitty gritty details of what players will actually be doing every minute to find out if it is a good design.  Maybe they had more than they let on, but even if they did they cancelled it for what must have been a very valid reason.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 04:33:45 AM »

I was really looking forward to this game too. I loved the movies posted at Gamespot.  I was really looking forward to cranking my 6.1 and watching T-Rex eat my villagers!
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 07:05:34 PM »

:!: Well Damn :!:

I was looking forward to this too, actually for quite some time now (at least 2 E3's).

Oh well, at least (as someone already mentioned) there are a lot of good games coming down the pipe to distract me. And I hope they do pick it back up later, though I'd say that's unlikely. IMO, of course.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 07:40:30 PM »

I just hope The Movies stays on track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: