http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming in Hi Def: How do I tell the difference?  (Read 798 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:13:32 AM »

Hi all.

I just got a new HD tv and have properly connected the xbox to it using the proper HD adapter and turned on the HD options in the xbox.

Now, how do I tell the difference between the appearance of the game in HD mode vs regular mode?

Is something supposed to be crisper? Sharper? Are there tell tale signs that it's HD vs regular picture?

Also, one game I checked, KOTOR 2 is VERY dark.  What's that about? The other games I've checked seem fine,  but KOTOR 2 is almost unplayable because it's so hard to see what's going on..  thoughts?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 02:46:46 AM »

In general yes, the games should be much sharper with better color fidelity.

Make sure you have the switch on the component cable set to HDTV (very easily missed and a *huge* interface mistake on MS's part IMO).  

Many TVs will also have some sort of display button you can press that will display the current signal type on-screen (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i).

Beyond that, if you are still unsure, set your dashboard to 480p and then to 1080i and you should definitely see a difference.

As to KOTOR 2- HD calibration settings are often different than your normal SD calibration settings.  Check to see if KOTOR 2 has an in-game brightness setting and, if not, you may have to readjust your TV's brightness every time you switch to the game (a pain in the butt).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 03:23:26 AM »

On an XBox, the difference between 480p and 480i honestly isn't that great.  The colors will be a bit better due to using higher quality cables, but you won't see a huge jump in graphic quality until you play games that are higher  resolution.  Check out X-Men Legends for a good example of that.

gellar
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 03:45:04 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Make sure you have the switch on the component cable set to HDTV (very easily missed and a *huge* interface mistake on MS's part IMO).

Isn't this specific to the 360? I don't remember a switch on the original xbox hd adapter. I could be wrong though...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 03:49:24 AM »

What gellar said.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, while 480p is technically a high def signal, 720p and 1080i are HD standards now.  The difference between 480p and a broadcast or game in 720p or 1080i is pretty significant. My old xbox looked better with the hdtv cables at 480p than with the s-video cables at 480i, but the difference wasn't huge.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 04:18:41 AM »

On my friend's 16:9 HDTV Sony television, I can see a significant difference in the crispness of the 360's dashboard when I switch between 480p or 1080i.  It's difficult to describe precisely in writing.  Beyond the fact that any and all jagged edges are completely smoothed in 1080i, it looks like the image is "more solid"...I'm definitely aware that there are many more lines of video resolution at work.

When I get a chance, I think I'm going to go try Knights of the Old Republic II to see how it looks on my setup....

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:19:56 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Isn't this specific to the 360? I don't remember a switch on the original xbox hd adapter. I could be wrong though...

Doh!  I thought he was referring to the 360!  For the Xbox 1, things will be a bit more difficult.  What size is your TV, ATB?  What technology does it use (CRT, DLP, LCD)?  On smaller, CRT based HDTVs the difference can actually be pretty negligible between 480i/480p.  For larger sets though, it should generally be very obvious.  

There aren't many games that support "true" HD (720p/1080i) on Xbox 1.  KOTOR 2 does not- it supports 480p only.  

For a listing of what games support what resolutions, visit:

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/

As for your darkness issue- I cannot stress enought that you need to get your hands on either Digital Video Essentials or Avia. These are DVDs that are specifically designed to walk you through calibrating your video settings.  After the chunk of change you had to lay down to get an HDTV, it would be a crime not to spring the additional $25 to get one of these DVDs.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 05:14:48 AM »

Also, from Knights of the Old Republic II's startup menu, you can go into 'Options' and adjust the game's brightness settings there.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »

Here's the acid test....

first make sure your xbox dashboard is properly set up (480p 720p and 1080i enabled, with the 16:9 screen)

Then load Amped2 and fly down the hill. (it's 720p).

it should look awesome.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: