http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:53:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How Many Hours Per Week do You Game?  (Voting closed: September 28, 2005, 02:27:30 PM)
0-3 hrs - 0 (0%)
3 -7 hrs - 5 (23.8%)
7 - 10 hrs - 4 (19%)
10 - 15 hrs - 6 (28.6%)
15 - 20 hrs - 0 (0%)
20+ hrs - 6 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming Hours Per Week?  (Read 1241 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2005, 02:27:30 PM »

Ok friends. I've had it with you. You guys with all of your consoles and handhelds already talking about buying the next gen machines.  Where do you find the time to game so much.

I'm an average guy: I have a wife, one child (one on the way) a 40-50 hr per week job, a mortgage, car payment and no other debts.  Still I cannot find enough time in the week to game as much as you guys seem to.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a DS at some point, but I don't know when I'd play it...

I'd say on average I get in 3 - 7 hrs per week.  If there's a game that's feeding my soul I'll say up ridiculously late and play it, but those are rare.

Additionally, I watch maybe 2-4 hrs per week of TV and spend probably 5-7 hrs (on a good week) reading the Bible.

So given the poll, how much do you game?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 02:33:56 PM »

I pretty much have the same amount of game time as you.  

Sometimes it feels like fighting to get any time to play.  Last night I really wanted to play some Indigo Prophecy but after making supper, walking the dog, picking up the house, and paying bills I just didn't have the energy.

Tonight is trash/recycling so that will mean cleaning the litter boxes, taking out trash, sorting the recycling and putting it out, and then maybe (fingers crossed) an hour or so for gaming.

My totally unscientific guess is that people who have a lot more time don't have a house (so no lawn maintance), don't have kids, or are in school.  I had a lot more time before I owned a house and when I was in school.  I shudder to think how much my time will be cut back if/when I have kids.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:39:45 PM »

I am married, I have two large dogs, I rent a house (although I do all the upkeep on it) and I work 40 - 50 hours a week, and I still game 20+ hours a week.  I usually stay up until 2 in the morning or so.  I will play some when I get home from work, make dinner, watch some TV with my wife then game more.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:42:31 PM »

I'm definitely in the 7-10 hr range.  I'm divorced and don't own a home but I spend an incredible amount of time with my kids (alot of driving involved).  I coach my son's baseball team, I'm involved with cub scouts, afterschool activities, my daughter's acting classes etc.  I usually get in about an hour per night during the week and about 4-5 hrs during the weekend when my kids are not with me.

Other than that I don't do anything else, except watch Emergency.  It's strange because I have alot more "free time" than most, but I don't utilize it for gaming.  But at least it's there if I need it. :wink:  And dating is definitely out! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »

3-7.  Sometimes I can go on a binge and play an entire weekend, but that's pretty rare these days.  I think one's occupation has a lot to do with it... I sit infront of a computer for 45+ hours a day at work, so when I get home I'm really not in the mood to interact with a computer or computer-like device.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »

I work 40 hrs/week in the office, I'm on call every other night (sometimes have to go in, sometimes not), have 2 kids, no dog, and currently have a PSP, PS2, and PC.

After work, dinner, and putting the kids in bed, I like to play for an hour or two before bed (if I can).  I watch very little TV, and what I do watch, is usually Tivo'd and I can accelerate it (primarily sports anyway).

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 03:14:45 PM »

I game anywhere from 10 to 20+ hrs a week, depending on what games I have on my plate.

I am married, have 2 children (3 years old and almost 1) and have a house. I also have a 40 hour a week job, but live about 5 minutes away from it, so that saves a bunch of time as far as commuting goes.

I also don't watch hardly any TV, except on Sundays.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 04:02:32 PM »

7-10 here.  I guess about an hour a day sometimes more.  Sometimes none.  I have a wife, house, 3 kids, dog, 3 cats and a full-time job.

My wife and I watch shows together a lot - Buffy and Babylon 5 now.  We usually catch an episode or two each night.  We also play boardgames together some.  I sometimes play video games with my sons.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 04:26:06 PM »

I, well, game way too much in the average week. Let's just put it at that and call it good. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »

I put 10-15, but that's on a good week.  I usually play Mon, Wed and Friday nights on live with a mature gaming group for about 2 hours or so and try to squeeze in some single player time and a little game time with my son and daughter when possible.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 04:32:53 PM »

I'm in the 10-15 (often up to 20) hour camp but the caveat is that is when I'm in game mode.  I often won't game at all if I'm embroiled in a really good book or television show on DVD.

I'm married, own a house, and have a child due in less than a month.  My wife goes to bed very early (around 9pm) and since I generally only get five hours sleep a night max, that means I get several hours to game every night after she hits the sack.  On weekends she likes to go out shopping with her friends and family which frees up more gametime.  

Plus, I'm a very targeted TV watcher- all of my viewing is effectively "appointment viewing" and time-shifted.  I almost never veg in front of the TV and flip channels.  I watch only the shows I'm specifically interested in watching which is generally 5 hours a week at most.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »

It depends. This summer, I had a good month where the wife was out of the country so I had more time than normal all to myself. Movies and gaming where then the norm. Currently, I mainly do it on the weekends when I'm not busy trying to keep her sane from the pressures of her final year of law school. biggrin

As for a number value, it fluctuates way too much to really get a handle on. At least 5 a week, sometimes more, and that's my best guess.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 05:33:46 PM »

I'm a student, so, a crapload.  Plus I don't watch TV.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 05:36:22 PM »

Yeah, I had to put myself in the 10 to 15 hour category, which is way high at some times, and way low at others.  My main advantage - and impediment - to more gaming is my muscle disorder.  I don't work full time, so I have plenty of time.  However, at other times (like right now  frown  ) I can't game because of it.  I burned out my hands playing too much Ratched Deadlocked, and haven't gamed more than a few hours in the last few weeks because of it.  Just another example of "be careful what you wish for" I guess!  

Of course, the only thing that is keeping me from pushing the recovery faster is that I know I have to be ready for the release of Deadlocked, then somehow discipline myself enough that my hands won't be messed up, for Oblivion.  Yikes!  :?   So, put me down for an hour - here and there - for now!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »

Right now 20 hours. I am trying to decide where to live, what job to have, whether I want to keep seeing this crazy chick, and that kind of crap. So basically I am irresponsible and not employed  :wink: So yeah, 20+ right now.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »

I usually get in around 3-7 during the week when the new TV season is on.  When there's nothing new showing, I'll probably get in around 10 hrs/wk.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: