http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming backlog of ATB proportion.  (Read 1821 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »

Since signing up to be a p/t reviewer for GamingTrend, and then having every area of my life erupt in a cacophany that would make M.Bay proud, I find myself behind the eightball when it comes to gaming.

I have the following games that I've not yet played or played only a little:

360:
Rainbow Six : Vegas 2
Call of Duty 4

Orange Box - Ep1, 2 and Portal (I was playing the original, but have gotten very tired of the interface)
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
America's Army *
MX vs ATV *

Wii:
WWE vs RAW 2008 *
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I just finished up Dynasty Warriors 6 (which I may still play, I <3 me some KOEI games for no good reason). This doesn't afford me a lot of time to worry about GTA4 (which I have preordered and am trading in some games for), or more replay of games such as DW6, Rock Band, Crackdown, Halo 3, Marvel Ult. Alliance (w. heroes and villians), and Assassin's Creed. Hell, I wanted to get a racing game (such as MarioKart for Wii) and I don't even have time for that!

Note that the * titles were provided for review.

There are no easy answers; I'm going to hold off on the RPG's until the summer drought. I'm not complaining about GT either, I'm just venting. Gah. I'm going to have to quit my job just to catch up. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

I'm just happy I beat the lengthy RPGs like FFXII and Dark Cloud 2 last year. I came to realize then that I have no time in my life anymore to devote three months solid to one game. Just won't fly, and this is without kids. Imagine if I had a mini-me running around. You think Ivalice would ever be saved then? Nope.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

Mine is much worse.....much worse.  This stems from the fact that I own all 5 current gen consoles and handhelds and I can't say no to buying games I am interested in.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »

I came in this thread expecting a serious backlog.

That is not a serious backlog.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »

My problem is I keep replaying Xbox games, which really screws up my getting thru my backlog. I'm just about thru a reaplay of Chaos Theory and I'm about to jump in on a replay of KOTOR. I just haven't been able to find new games that match many of the games from last gen.

BTW My backlog is equally as bad as yours, but with a number of PS2 games. Umm.... did I mention you're a fool for not abandoning all else and playing through the story mode of SSBB.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:52:51 PM by kronovan » Logged
Darth Homer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

I know the feeling.  I was looking at the stack of games on my coffee table last night.

Games started but not finished:

Bioshock
Halo 3
COD 4
Orange Box
Mass Effect
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank (PS3)
Blue Dragon
Assassinís Creed

Of course it didnít help that I really havenít played anything for a couple months due to a busy stretch at work.

And now that I have time to game, instead of finishing some of those games, I have found myself re-addicted to Forza 2.

Too many great games, but I guess thatís good problem to have.  icon_wink

Brian

XBL Gamertag: SATX Brian
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2008, 02:50:02 PM

Agreed.  I can't imagine ever getting my backlog down to Purge's level.  Although my current games backlog is probably about that size- I've made a conscious effort this year to try not to buy games until I'm ready to play them.  But my previous-gen backlog is monstrous.

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 22, 2008, 02:35:21 PM

Just won't fly, and this is without kids. Imagine if I had a mini-me running around. You think Ivalice would ever be saved then? Nope.

Eh, kids go to bed early.  I can't say my gaming time has been overtly impacted with a little one in the house.  Now, whether kids exhaust you so much that you can't stay up as late as you used to is another matter- but that's why God invented coffee icon_wink
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »

I wasn't sure I wanted to list my backlog, but here goes:

Games I haven't finished, but need to (includes some PS2 stuff as well):

Wii:
Zack and Wiki
No More Heroes
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

360:
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Blue Dragon
Culdcept Saga
Call of Duty 4
Burnout Paradise
Eternal Sonata
Lost Odyssey

PS2:
Persona 3
Odin Sphere
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
God of War 2
DragonQuest VIII

PS3:
Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Resistance
Folklore

PSP:
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

DS:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Shiren the Wanderer
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

That isn't every game I own that I still play from time to time, but just the ones I haven't beaten the main story on.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »

lol. True enough and at some point I may need to learn to drink coffee. Just never liked the flavor. But I'm realizing that if I want to pursue my genuine passion of writing then it's all about priorities which are increasingly edging out gaming. I know full well the next Xbox and PlayStation consoles are only a few years off and I honestly do not see myself jumping on those bandwagons. I think this generation may be it for me regarding gaming and that's a weird thing to acknowledge since I've been in it for 20 years.

As it stands, my backlog isn't as bad as it once was but it's expanded back up a little bit more. Now I have Mass Effect and CoD4 on 360 to burn through (though I'm almost done with CoD4) and GTA4 hitting next week. I haven't bought anything else of late so I fortunately that's it. I recall at its height having north of 150 games to play through and it took me two and half years to get through them all (or decide they sucked enough to not warrant completion). I'm not letting it get that bad again.

/kicks Fate in the teeth for good measure

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

It brings a tear to my eye to see COD4 on so many lists -- it's a five hour game! (okay, it took me about 15, but it always takes me three times as long to beat games).
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:24:25 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 22, 2008, 03:23:20 PM

It brings a tear to my eye to see COD4 on so many lists -- it's a five hour game! (okay, it took me about 15, but it always takes me three times as long to beat games).

When I was playing it, it was the multiplayer.  I am probably close to beating the single player, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

I found a lot of hate for the fact that the AI can take cover but you can't. I then gave it up, and got suckered into a few MP games and now find myself wanting to trudge through and complete it.

RSV2 I actually WANT to play, but coop.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 22, 2008, 03:27:20 PM

I found a lot of hate for the fact that the AI can take cover but you can't. I then gave it up, and got suckered into a few MP games and now find myself wanting to trudge through and complete it.

The more I play COD4 multi and enjoy it, the lower my opinion of the single player gets. I understand that needing to push forward replicates actual war tactics, but I think it could be done without endlessly spawning  enemies. I played through on hardened, and there were points where it became a real chore to move forward in the game.  I don't know if I will every play the single player again, and if I do, it won't be on anything harder than "regular" difficulty.  I do think the game is worth it for the multiplayer.  I bought the GOTY version in a moment of weakness for $60 (I generally will not spend more than $40 for games and try to target $20 - my backlog allows for this) and I think I am going to put a ton of hours on multiplayer, so I don't feel bad about it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »

I'm not sure why I still buy games with the backlog I have.  I've been buying pc games on and off for the past 12 years or so, have had a ps1, ps2, 360, wii, psp, gba/ds for most of the time they've been available also.  Just this week I'm buying the new version of Persona 3 and debating a couple others, next week is gta4...

WoW just kills my gaming time, even though it technically still is a game...though first it was Ultima Online, then Dark Age of Camelot, then came City of Heroes/Villains, now WoW.  MMO's are really killing me here:0

That said, here is most of my backlog that I care about and actively want to play to some degree, I'd say that I have at least 100 other games that I bought on a whim but either have forgotten I have, have little desire to play, or doubt will run without some kind of application to work in XP.

http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=moatman

Also forgot one of the saddest parts.  I buy games like Halo 3, CoD4, Frontlines, Gears of War, TF2 etc with the intention of playing them online heavy and weening myself from WoW...but they typically fall by the wayside too, at least I do try to get the single player campaigns done in them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:19:51 PM by Moatman » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »

if my backlog was that small i would be a changed man.  i have a whole shelf of mostly ps2 games, only a small portion finished.  a growing list of 360 games too.  not many wii or gc games, but enough to be a backlog on their own.  it's too bad as i only seem to have them as a collection, not as a serious candidate for playing through.  a handful of xbox1 games too.

my portable collection is ds heavy right now, but at least those i can play anywhere.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »

At one time I had at least 60 xbox games I owned but had enver even played. Eventually I sold them all, including the ones I hadn't played just to be rid of them. I'm doing better this gen, but I do still have a copy of Gears of War from christmas 06 still in the shrink wrap.

The kid does impact my gaming time to a degree as I used to have all day sunday to game while my wife was out with the dogs, now I spend all day sunday playing with my son while my wife is out with the dogs. I can't wait until he is old enough that some of that play can be games... even if it's freakin candy land.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to ďholy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?Ē
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2008, 02:50:02 PM

Agreed.

We at ATB Enterprises request that you stop using our name for such a puny non-ATBesque backlog.

-ATB Enterprises Law Dept.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

My backlog spans back to the SNES era and every mainstream console since.

I am not kidding.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 11:35:57 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on April 22, 2008, 09:56:48 PM

I am not kidding.

You're not the only one.  I consider it my great gaming shame that I have not properly finished Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger.  Back when I had an SNES, I had to rent most of the games.  Since the saves went with the cartridge, I had to pick up wherever the other players had saved.  I finished both games, but I know I missed lots of stuff in the middle.  I have the PSOne remakes in my backlog, but there are so many new RPGs, I can't haven't gotten back to them.  I still have a bunch of PSOne RPGs to play, a bunch of PS2 ones in progress, GBA RPGs (even a few Gameboy Color ones for good measure), a couple DS RPGs, with more coming out every month, plus I'll be getting a PSP soon, which will add a bunch more, and Persona 3 : FES comes out tomorrow, and I haven't even finished the original yet, and Summon Night : Twin Age comes out next month, and I still haven't finished the GBA Summon Night games, and I just started playing FF4 Advance in anticipation of the DS remake, not to mention all the PC RPGs that I have yet to finish, and ...  I think I need some serious professional help  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:37:33 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:23 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 22, 2008, 11:35:57 PM

Back when I had an SNES, I had to rent most of the games.  Since the saves went with the cartridge, I had to pick up wherever the other players had saved.  I finished both games, but I know I missed lots of stuff in the middle.

I just had to highlight this.  I'm not sure I even know how to describe it but there is just something both hardcore and fascinating about renting a game and just rolling with whatever save is on the cart.  I can only imagine  playing early FF6 and then picking up a save
Spoiler for Hiden:
after the world had been destroyed and thinking "WTF happened!!!"
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 03:42:51 AM »

I am not kidding.

I'll back up a bit and probably add NES and Atari 2600 for extra pain.

Ah, still, gamer for ever smile

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 03:58:24 AM »

Quote from: MrDuck on April 23, 2008, 03:42:51 AM

I am not kidding.

you know, I never did finish Raiders of the Lost Ark or Riddle of the Sphinx on the 2600....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:21 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 23, 2008, 02:04:23 AM

Quote from: EddieA on April 22, 2008, 11:35:57 PM

Back when I had an SNES, I had to rent most of the games.  Since the saves went with the cartridge, I had to pick up wherever the other players had saved.  I finished both games, but I know I missed lots of stuff in the middle.

I just had to highlight this.  I'm not sure I even know how to describe it but there is just something both hardcore and fascinating about renting a game and just rolling with whatever save is on the cart.  I can only imagine  playing early FF6 and then picking up a save
Spoiler for Hiden:
after the world had been destroyed and thinking "WTF happened!!!"

Funny you should mention that, as I can remember when it happened.  I loaded up the save, and
Spoiler for Hiden:
I noticed that the colors were all weird, and when I went to check the map, it was different.
  I eventually pieced together what had happened, but with Chrono Trigger, I was pretty much lost.  With all the hopping around in time, I had no idea what was going on when I loaded up the save games.  It certainly made for an interesting way to play through the game slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »

Quote from: MrDuck on April 23, 2008, 03:42:51 AM

I am not kidding.

If you count the military madness game I bought on VC, yeah, I guess I reach back to NES as well.

[Edit]Err, not NES, TG-16. I did buy the first Zelda game though, and it's unbearable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:58:18 PM by ChaoZ » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »

See, I got rid of last gen games that I decided not to finish. I was decisive and would only have a choice of 2-4 games that would interest me. Now I have too many. The completist in me would be popping capillaries if I had everything I never finished.

Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »

There are times when I wish I had kept my NES and SNES.  I did keep my genesis(well, ditched that but got a nomad years back to replace it) but apparently I sold a lot of the games I miss the most.  Towards the end of my genesis days, I only played sega channel.

I've picked up a couple gba versions of old snes games though, and got a bunch of good old genesis titles I had sold long ago, on the sega genesis collection(plus they're portable, gogo psp!)

My pc backlog technically goes back to Infocom(old originals were atari st, but about 8 or 10 years ago I picked up the masterpieces of infocom) and old-school Sierra games(ala King's Quest and The Colonel's Bequest time period) that I still have but I typically think of after newer things in backlog terms.  When I get into a series I tend to pickup a compliation of older ones in the series, for the most part these go untouched as well:(
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 23, 2008, 02:27:33 PM

See, I got rid of last gen games that I decided not to finish.

I did the same.  Now I have no backlog.  Also I now only buy games that I will play multiplayer after finishing the single player campaign.  Generally if it's a single player only game I will just rent it.  If I am not motivated to play a game within a few weeks of it's release I will never play it.  There is always something new and shiny around the next corner.  Occasionally I'll go back and grab something like Uncharted that I missed at release due to being busy with other things.  But that's pretty rare.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »

See, and that's how I was living... now I have a backlog. I hate that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: