http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 06:40:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming and HD: N00b Questions  (Read 714 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:52:17 AM »

I will be on the market in the next 60-90 days for a 32-37 inch tv. Right now I'm leaning toward LCD...

Anyhoo- You see HD ready sets and those with HD built in. As best as I can surmise, the former means that you need an HD 'converter' to get an HD picture.

So lets say I buy an HD ready TV and plug my XBOX with an HD game in it. Does the X act as a 'converter' or would I still need an external box of some sort?

What would the price difference typically be on a tv- all things considered- that has one that is HD ready and HDTV built in...

What type of peripherals would I need to game in HD, I guess is the quesiton...
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 02:01:36 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Anyhoo- You see HD ready sets and those with HD built in. As best as I can surmise, the former means that you need an HD 'converter' to get an HD picture.

So lets say I buy an HD ready TV and plug my XBOX with an HD game in it. Does the X act as a 'converter....?.

Yes. Cool
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 02:06:30 AM »

So lets say I buy an HD ready TV and plug my XBOX with an HD game in it. Does the X act as a 'converter' or would I still need an external box of some sort?

No. Cool

-Autistic Angel

Edit: ...providing you use the HD cables for the 360 which are provided with the Premium system.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:24:29 AM »

Do you think we may have cleared that up for him? Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:40:43 AM »

I will be on the market in the next 60-90 days for a 32-37 inch tv. Right now I'm leaning toward LCD...

I think LCD is the superior choice for gaming.  You hear a lot about people gaming on huge plasma screens, but I've read too much about permenant burn-in problems for me to ever feel comfortable gaming on one myself.

HD-Ready sets are capable of displaying any high-definition signal they're fed, but do not have a converter of their own built-in.  This means that in order to watch high-definition television, you would have to have an external converter box.

For everything else -- DVD playback, gaming, etc. -- you need only to feed the HD signal into your television via high definition cables.  This can include component video cables, a DVI cable, HDMI, and perhaps a couple other standards.

You should be certain to get a TV that supports the three major high-definition formats: 1080i, 720p, and 480p.  Many EDTVs ("enhanced definition televisions") only support 480p, so you should be very clear that you're purchasing a real HDTV.

The system is natively capable of producing its own HD signal, so no additional converter is needed.

What would the price difference typically be on a tv- all things considered- that has one that is HD ready and HDTV built in...

I don't know the price difference, but I don't think it would be worth it to purchase a TV with a built-in converter.  In my case, my digital cable box acts as both an HDTV converter box and a digital video recorder, so even if I'd paid extra to have a built-in HD tuner, I would have wound up ignoring it in favor of this external box.

On the other hand, using an internal HD tuner would free up a set of inputs on your television which you could use for something else.  Personally, my X-Box, GameCube, DVD player, and digital cable box are using up all my HD inputs, so unless I spring for an HD splitter, I don't have the capacity to use HD cables with my PlayStation 2.

What type of peripherals would I need to game in HD, I guess is the quesiton...

None.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 03:38:36 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
You should be certain to get a TV that supports the three major high-definition formats: 1080i, 720p, and 480p. Many EDTVs ("enhanced definition televisions") only support 480p, so you should be very clear that you're purchasing a real HDTV.

Tvs that support all three formats can be hard to come by.   I wouldn't sweat finding one that supports all three- the 360 will scale 720p games to 1080i and reports are the scaling is excellent with little discernable difference in image quality between the two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: