http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GameTrailers does their most anticipated  (Read 2934 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

In true Gametrailers fashion, they do it via a little video, which I love.

The actual substance is rather low, but hey, I'm easily amused.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2111.html

A list is a list is a list, I suppose.  Thoughts or comments?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »

Don't necessarily agree with #1 (RE5).... and I think #10 (Smash) should be moved up a bit.  Ninja Gaiden II looks, graphically, the same as Sigma?

Prototype at #8... that should switch with #10.  I'm not so sure Prototype is going to be the game media is hyping it up to be.

And DEFINITELY move #6 (Little Big Planet) up.

Starcraft @ #5, eh, I could see how fans of the first would be anticipating this sequel.

FFXIII @ #4 - will this come out in 2008?  Ummm, no.

MGS4 @ #2 is a good place for it to be.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

Thoughts or comments?

I really need to get speakers for work  icon_wink

I'm in for Prototype, Fallout 3 and possibly GTA IV.  I wonder if they will do a top 10 anticipated for each platform.  I also thought RE5 wasn't going to be until 2009...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »

I've got a couple comments -

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I'll see how the online works.  If it requires that I strain the blood from a living cat, recite Pi to the 800th digit, and use smoke signals just to play a game online I'll be skipping it entirely. 

Ninja Gaiden II - I think my nerves have settled enough from fighting Alma to give it a go.

Prototype - It better have some level of progression to guide you or this is just gonna devolve into a beat-em-up.  Remember how near-fruitless ground combat felt in some of the Spider-Man titles?  This could be a prettier version of that.  The amnesia thing has been done to death though...

GTA IV - If the missions were as constrained in how you accomplish them as the last few titles, I'm thinking I may be out on this one.  Nothing worse than "You have to shoot the guy through his left ass cheek with this potato gun from a mile away and that is the ONLY way you can successfully complete your mission.  Now put away that sniper rifle" gameplay.  That said, the draw for this one is high for me - it looks great.

Little Big Planet - As soon as I saw the burlap Samurai character I was all over this game.  I think this is going to move up the list and quick.

StarCraft II - Yea.  Just move this to #1 on my list.   Just watching that small snippet of video reminds me of what I love about this game.

Final Fantasy XIII - Oh look, my #2 pick.  Yep, I'm ready to go to a world full of stupid-named characters again.  Seriously?  Lightning?  *sigh*  I loved the previous title, so my hopes are beyond high.  I'll be shocked if we see it before this time next year though.

Fallout 3 - Dead on.  #3 spot is perfect for this title for me.  After seeing it in action I still have some misgivings, but I'm cautiously optimistic.  The loss of eye and groin shots are enough to make me wring my hands, but seeing the whole game in action helps allay a bit of those fears.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - I dunno.  This game series has gone off the rails a bit for me.  There better be a coherent storyline and some actual gameplay instead of hour long cutscenes punctuated by 10 minutes of action.  I'd put this lower.

Resident Evil 5 - Doesn't even scratch my top 10.  Doesn't even get to see it from where it sits in my list.  I honestly couldn't care less.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 22, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

I've got a couple comments -

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I'll see how the online works.  If it requires that I strain the blood from a living cat, recite Pi to the 800th digit, and use smoke signals just to play a game online I'll be skipping it entirely. 

That was funny.   icon_biggrin

I'm a bit surprised that Spore didn't make the list to be honest.  Is that scheduled to hit in 2009, or was it deliberately left off do you think?

Regarding Starcraft 2...  I have to agree with you, and I'm a bit saddened that I do.  Just that small bit of video got my heart pumping, even though deep down I think I am wildly overestimating how good it will be.  Little Big Planet easily has me the most intrigued though, as it appears to allow for some serious creativity among the playerbase. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 22, 2008, 05:15:22 PM

I'm a bit surprised that Spore didn't make the list to be honest.  Is that scheduled to hit in 2009, or was it deliberately left off do you think?

Spore's got a release date set for September of this year- I can't remember the specific date off hand.  For me my most anticipated is STALKER: Clear Sky.  They just released a new batch of screenies the other day and I can't wait.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »

Kind of fascinating that Wii has one exclusive, 360 has one exclusive (which will probably go PS3 at some point), while Sony has 3.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 22, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

Final Fantasy XIII - Oh look, my #2 pick.  Yep, I'm ready to go to a world full of stupid-named characters again.  Seriously?  Lightning?  *sigh*  I loved the previous title, so my hopes are beyond high.  I'll be shocked if we see it before this time next year though.

I'm an FF junkie. I own every title in the franchise now, some in more than one media format (example: I have a factory-sealed FF1 for the NES, more of a collector's thing than anything, and I also have FF1 in the PS1 collection release and the Dawn of Souls GBA release; I haven't grabbed the PSP edition, but it's on my Gamefly queue).

Back when Sakaguchi was in charge, I knew generally what I could expect from every FF, and that each would be well worth my time (yes, even FF8, though the Draw system is quite a drag on replays). Starting with FFX, they've had a different crew on each release, and that makes each one an iffy proposition. I've had doubts about each one. So far, we've lucked out. FFX was enjoyable (though it took a while for the story and some of the characters to go from "oh god what have they done" to "oh man, I have to see what happens next") and FFXII is easily on my top 5 jrpg list. But the crew on FFXIII is being headed by the guy behind both Kingdom Hearts games, and I really didn't enjoy KH1 (wound up quitting around the end of Alice in Wonderland's stuff) because despite finding the story curious and mildly intriguing, the gameplay (controls and obtuse puzzles) stunk.

So that leaves me with concerns about how FFXIII is going to turn out. It's a pity we couldn't keep the FFXII crew on for this one. Hopefully they can eventually do an FFXII-2 (not the DS title). icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »

I haven't watched the trailer.  But are Gears 2 and Resistance 2 not on it?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 22, 2008, 06:40:30 PM

Neither.  Ron's post above has the whole list.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:16 PM »

Given the production times these things probably take, this was likely finished before Gears 2 was announced this week. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »

Nope. I agree with most of the list but for me, Resident Evil 5 and MGS 4 need lower spots on the list.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »

I agree.  For my list I'd take Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and Ninja Gaiden off, move everything else up, and add Mercenaries 2, Ghostbusters, Lego Indiana Jones and maybe Force Unleashed. That put me over 10, so let's take Prototype off as well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

I am surprised that Force Unleashed isn't on there.  There's an image for it in the opening, IIRC.  Did it not fit the criteria they layed out or something?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

Kind of fascinating that Wii has one exclusive, 360 has one exclusive (which will probably go PS3 at some point), while Sony has 3.

yeah, but 2 of them are some of the biggest franchises in history, and 1 of those 2 is fairly up in the air as far as a 2008 release.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »

Gotta agree with wonderpug.  As much as I like MGS, it's not my most wanted.

It's not announced, and may not be coming at all, but I actually want a Chromehounds 2.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 22, 2008, 06:39:42 PM

But the crew on FFXIII is being headed by the guy behind both Kingdom Hearts games, and I really didn't enjoy KH1 (wound up quitting around the end of Alice in Wonderland's stuff) because despite finding the story curious and mildly intriguing, the gameplay (controls and obtuse puzzles) stunk.

If you're referring to Nomura, I'm pretty sure he's working on Versus XIII, not XIII itself.  I believe the one heading up FFXIII is the one who did FFX-2.  Say what you will about FFX-2, but the gameplay and battle system were excellent, and I seriously doubt there will be any of the silliness of FFX-2 in FFXIII.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »

I would definitely take Mario off and squeeze in Bionic Commando and SW Force Unleashed.   As for Metal Gear 4, I have on my top 10 simply to justify owning a PS3.  Otherwise, I'd probably sell it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Super Smash Bros Brawl - probably won't play online but me and my kids are salivating at the thought of playing this.  We sill get SSBM out regularly for some fun.

GTA IV - I still need to play GTA San Andreas and Crackdown and honestly I'm more interested in playing Crackdown than another GTA game.

Starcraft II - I'll buy like I buy everything Blizzard does.  I know it'll be good.

FFXIII - I'll buy a PS3 eventually and when I do, I'll get this.  But it's not selling the system to me when I still haven't finished XII.

Fallout 3 - oh yeah.

MGS4 - probably not.

And Resident Evil 5...  I've finally accepted and embraced the genius gameplay that is Resident Evil 4 and I'm willing to take it to the next level.  Are you with me?  Who needs to be able to walk and shoot a gun at the same time?  The only way I'll buy this is if they make the main character a one-legged, near-sighted, autistic man with a BB gun.  Just think of how that will increase the tension in the game!
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »

My only issue was it seems like more than a couple of those games won't make 08.

I can't see FF13 or RE5 making an 08 date.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 22, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

As far as Wii exclusives, I'm guessing Mario Kart is going to be on a lot of people's top 10 lists.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

I don't know if this is in my most anticipated list or not, but I am definately hopeful that it will be a ton of fun.

Civilization Revolution  -  Also, IGN did a relatively indepth preview if you're interested.

Getting into the console market is a great business decision methinks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:25:32 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 03:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 25, 2008, 03:13:56 PM

I don't know if this is in my most anticipated list or not, but I am definately hopeful that it will be a ton of fun.

Civilization Revolution  -  Also, IGN did a relatively indepth preview if you're interested.

Thanks for that link.  I don't know if that makes me excited about Revolution or if it just makes me want to reinstall the PC version.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 25, 2008, 03:13:56 PM

too bad they put the Wii version on hold.  I think the Wii Mote would be the best way to control the game- just point and click.

Because I can,
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »

Isn't RE5 a 2009 title ?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:04 AM »

It's SID.  WOOT!

Civ:Revolution Link

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

I'm guessing The Force is weak with this one as far as the community goes, but...

More on Civ:Revolution from Eurogamer

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 11, 2008, 01:50:37 PM

I'm guessing The Force is weak with this one as far as the community goes, but...

I'm kind of curious to see how well it will do with the masses with them simplifying (or dumbing down) certain features, but I plan on skipping it and eventually pick up Civ 4.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »

I'm keeping an eye on it.  As long as it ends up feeling like a distilled Civ experience rather than dumbed down one, I'll probably be getting this on day 1.

Aaand I just read at Qt3 that the DS version has the same game logic and AI as the PS3/360 versions, just with a different presentation.  As much as I'd like to see the pretties on the PS3/360 version, I don't think there's any way I can resist a portable Civilization. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:45:13 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 03:59:18 PM »

I think that actually looks pretty damn cool.  If the big-boy version is any good, I'm sure I'll pick up the DS version as well.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 04:27:48 PM »

There's only half the list I'm interested in; I'm no RTS player so Starcraft II doesn't get me all excited.

I'd be more interested to see whether Fable 2 delivers, and Gears Of War 2 (9 & 10 on my list). That being said I have high hopes for Force Unleashed and would pop that one much higher.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »

My list would probably look like this.

1) Final fantasy 13 - well i doubt it comes out in 08 but if gametrailers can include it i can.
2) Fable 2  - I never got into fable tlc really but i love lionhead and i think the dog thing can be interesting... I just need a xbox that is fond of living again
3) Little Big Planet
4) Metal Gear 4
5) Gta 4
6) Alan Wake - oh yes this looks like a game just for my taste.
7) Fallout 3 - I am ashamed to say i have never played any of the previous ones but it looks kickass.
Cool Silent hill 5 - i'm really worried about the new devs screwing the game up, but still think it can end up being a great game.
9) Spore
10) Final fantasy crisis core.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:48:33 AM by Maggot » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 02:30:45 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on March 13, 2008, 02:29:16 AM

My list would probably look like this.

6) Alan Wake - oh yes this looks like a game just for my taste.

Pretty sure that MS recently confirmed it's an '09 title. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »

Is there more out there than this?

Microsoft Games chief Don Mattrick has confirmed (or, in some cases, reaffirmed) via a memo a handful of exclusive titles to arrive on Xbox 360 in 2008. The list of assuredly not canceled titles include Halo Wars, Too Human, Fable 2, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction and "several exciting yet-to-be-announced titles."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:50 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2008, 03:59:18 PM

I think that actually looks pretty damn cool.  If the big-boy version is any good, I'm sure I'll pick up the DS version as well.

Wow, suddenly I am interested in this new version of Civ.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:01 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 13, 2008, 02:38:38 AM

Is there more out there than this?

Microsoft Games chief Don Mattrick has confirmed (or, in some cases, reaffirmed) via a memo a handful of exclusive titles to arrive on Xbox 360 in 2008. The list of assuredly not canceled titles include Halo Wars, Too Human, Fable 2, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction and "several exciting yet-to-be-announced titles."

I thought I read something from GDC timeframe but it looks like I imagined it.  There was a Jeuxfrance article right after that Mattrick interview that claimed a Remedy insider said 2009.

Personally I think it's 2009 just based on the insane radio silence but I would love to be wrong.  Remedy did unveil Max Payne 2 real close to it's final release so there is still a precedent for them doing the same for Alan Wake but considering how poorly Max Payne 2's sales were compared to the first title I'm not sure they would repeat that strategy...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 05:51:36 AM »

My top 10 (in no particular order) -
Dragon Quest IV DS
Final Fantasy IV DS
Fallout 3
Sonic Chronicles : The Dark Brotherhood
Spore
Starcraft 2
Tales of Vesperia
The Last Remnant (hopefully 2008)
Too Human
Rise of The Argonauts

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: