http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:13:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gametap Revisited  (Read 7625 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 17, 2006, 10:27:26 PM

GREAT update today:

-  Sam & Max
-  Civ III
-  Farcry
-  Serious Sam I & II
-  Railroad Tychoon II Platinum
-  Rainbox Six 3 & Rogue Spear
-  Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Unbelievable update today!  Theres $50 worth of games right there.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »

Just don't try calling Gametap tech support.. 3 hours on hold, no answer.  Apparently they are swamped with new members right now.  My son ganked up his password and his account got locked for 24 hours and I cannot reset it.   mad

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 18, 2006, 04:28:34 PM

Just don't try calling Gametap tech support.. 3 hours on hold, no answer.  Apparently they are swamped with new members right now.  My son ganked up his password and his account got locked for 24 hours and I cannot reset it.   mad

You really stayed on hold for 3 hours?   :icon_confused:

FWIW, the couple times I’ve called their tech support, they’ve been very good and very helpful.  Less than 5 minute wait both times, and both people were probably the friendliest tech support people I’ve ever talked to.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »

I agree, they have GREAT tech support.. I have become to know one of the main tech support guys pretty good.. You'll recognize him with a deep Tennessee voice.  Cool guy, we've chatted for a good hour before on a slow night. ;-)

That was BEFORE Sam and Max launched on GameTap, now they are swamped.. I had my speaker phone on for 3 hours today trying to get through.  Last night I tried for 1 hour without luck.  My guess, they survived with 2-4 tech support folks, but have so many new members, they probably need 4 times more now.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 07:03:39 PM »

It's difficult for any call center to anticipate the staffing levels they will need. If they were smart they upped staffing levels before the 50% off advertisement went live. But my guess would be GameTap had a lot more new users than expected (I'm one of them). The service just wasn't attractive enough to me, and I would guess others, until their recent batch of games and price reduction.

That said try calling during non-peak hours.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »

So as I posted in my previous message I bought in to the service last night. I was hesitant on service even with some games I wanted to play (and Sam & Max) and the 50% off. What actually got me around to giving in was the fact you can have more than one account active with the service so my wife could use it as well.

I'm actually very impressed with the service. It's a lot better than I expected it to be. Very professional quality. As I had Sam & Max downloading I checked out Rolling Thunder 2. I loved the arcade Rolling Thunder and never played it on the Genesis. After about a minute it booted up and actually didn't look to bad so the emulator does a good job. Then I realized I didn't have my 360 controller plugged in so figured I would have to log out to get it working. On a lark I plugged it in and was surprised to see it worked right away - spiffy. I tried a few other games - Quest for Glory 2, Cosmic Ark, Pac & Pal. Each game was emulated perfectly (although man those EGA graphics are hard to look at now). Sam & Max finally loaded fully and that launched without any issues either.

So initially a big thumbs up for GameTap. I really can see using this a lot to play a lot of those games I always wanted to play but never got around to (Splinter Cell 2, IL-2, Railroad Tycoon 3 and a bunch of Genesis RPGs). Hopefully I'll continue to be impressed.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 08:31:55 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 18, 2006, 07:03:39 PM

That said try calling during non-peak hours.

Tried that as well, this morning 5 minutes after they opened.. I think other people had the same idea!

With that being said, I was one of the first 10 people to have GameTap, I was in during the alpha and beta tests, and on into launch.  At launch I will say it was pretty buggy and unstable, nothing like what you see today.  I really had faith in the system as the premise behind it is sound, and once they ironed out the serious issues, I knew it would catch on.

The idea behind it is that why do games have to die off when they get older?  Old DVD's still have a place on shelves, or available from various online sellers, but games tend to have very short shelf lives. The idea was for a service that allowed people to enjoy old games, along not-so-old games and open up publishers back catalogues for a new life.

GameTap doesn't pay royalty for the games, they usually just make a "Cash" offer to a company for their entire back catalogue.  Early on they were throwing around hundreds of thousands of dollars to some publishers to get exclusive rights to their back catalogues.  I have no idea if they still do this, but I do know GameTap has a tremendously large cash flow available.  The only reason there aren't 2,000+ games on GameTap is because of the conversion process required to encrypt the games and get them to run right on Gametap.  I can tell you that when Gametap was in beta, they had already purchased nearly 2,000 games by that point. All they can TECHNICALLY manage right now is about 8-12 new titles per week.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 18, 2006, 08:31:55 PM

The only reason there aren't 2,000+ games on GameTap is because of the conversion process required to encrypt the games and get them to run right on Gametap.  I can tell you that when Gametap was in beta, they had already purchased nearly 2,000 games by that point. All they can TECHNICALLY manage right now is about 8-12 new titles per week.

If true* that is fantastic news.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the service is (I wasn't really expecting much), and yesterday's update was just epic.   My only problem is that with the huge selection, trying to find one or two games to stick with for any length of time is damn near impossible. 

*No offense to you personally Kobra, but I take everything I read on the intarweb with a truckload of salt

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2006, 11:38:47 PM »

Np, but consider at the time I was told this, it was directly from Gametap folks, and I was working at a PC game publisher.  Sure it could have been a lie, but I checked a couple other publishers, and their data was the same.  Gametap was *VERY* active in buying up the rights to games from 2003-2005, I don't think they have slowed up much.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »

Gametap put up a new promo video last night.  Looks like this week's pre-Halloween update is a whole bunch of the Castlevania games.   Just keeps getting better!  icon_biggrin

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2006, 01:25:02 AM »

This week's update:

-  The first 3 Castlevania games
-  Contra
-  Super Contra
-  Silent Hill 2
-  Vampire Savior
-  Ghosts & Goblins
-  Ghouls & Ghosts
-  Serious Sam 2 (last weeks was actually SS:  The Second Encounter.  My bad.)
-  MDK

Damn good stuff that should keep me busy through the weekend.  And as hammered as they are right now, it might take through the weekend to get them downloaded!  (there's a 45 minute DL time for Contra right now) 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 01:36:00 AM »

Holy shit.. Gametap is becoming so fullfilling, I might have to stop buying other games.. I hardly have time to play ANYTHING else these days because Gametap has me sucked with with so many different things to play.

Talk about a delima.. LOL

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 02:07:49 AM »

Sheesh, I had forgotten how had Ghouls & Ghosts is.  Brutal!

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 05:24:41 PM »

It looks like the Contra Games and the Castlevania games all come in the same pack which may account for the longer download. I had Castlevania 3 download (it took about 6 minutes for me) and the main menu had a selection for the other Konami games. I was disappointed these were the Windows versions of the games as they didn't look so hot in the graphics department but played fine.

Really glad they got Serious Sam 2 though. After I saw they had the 1st one and the add-on I was hoping for the actual sequel to show up soon....and sure enough. But looks like a lot of people were downloading it as I was getting something insane like a 600 minute download time.

Really liking this service though.

I watched the Gary Gygax mini-documentary while Castlevania was downloading and actually sat through the whole thing. They do a pretty good job with the production values of their videos.

The only minor sore spot I've had with the service is a few crashes upon launching games. But it's been painless to just ctrl+alt+delete the launching game and re-launch it. So it's a minor quibble. My very positive initial impressions of the service have held up since I bought in to it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 05:48:43 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 27, 2006, 05:24:41 PM

I watched the Gary Gygax mini-documentary while Castlevania was downloading and actually sat through the whole thing. They do a pretty good job with the production values of their videos.

LOL, I did the exact same thing last night.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:20 AM »

Gametap is going to start supporting "Save State" in games, so you can save anytime, anywhere, for any reason, and jump back to the save.. This makes great sense for Arcade games!

Save States
GameTap has always prided itself on an accurate reproduction of the games you love, just as they are in the arcades. Now, we've gone one step further by adding save states to the mix. You can save your GameTap adventure at any time, anywhere, and go back to the action just as you left it. Go ahead and take a break - you deserve it. With save states, we'll be right here waiting for you when you get back.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »

Next week lineup looks great!

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII *WITHOUT* Starforce will be up.. For anyone that missed out on that amazing game, and happens to have Gametap, this will be a great game to have loaded up.  Operation Flashpoint and a few other cool things will be up next week as well.

thumbsup

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2006, 01:47:18 AM »

Well, after a few weeks of amazing updates, the last month has been absolute shit.  If you're not a military or sports game fan (which I'm not), there hasn't been a single thing in the last month worth getting.  Plus, they upgraded their software and the client now seems to run quite a bit slower.  The scroll arrows (to move between games) now don't work for me either.

Thankfully, the new Sam & Max and Deus Ex are coming soon.  Hopefully they get a few more quality titles to go along with them.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2006, 06:16:50 PM »

Supposed to be some really big hitters coming up.  I haven't noticed any slowdowns with the client.

We've been REALLY enjoying the Prince of Persias, and my kids are hooked on Gunmetal.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 06:23:30 AM »

Myst Online is up, I can't wait to try that.

I still need to do the first Sam and Max, maybe I will work on that over the holidays then move on to episode 2.

Anyone else find the GametapTV stuff really interesting?  The video about UWink is absolutely cool, I want one locally.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

Ok, I have to say the last few weeks with gametap have yielded a heaping pile of shit of new games.

Wonder when the hell they will start adding something really good?  Sheesh.. I know Sam and Max is cool, honestly, I can't get into that game myself.  So they really need to toss us a bone!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 21, 2007, 11:29:02 PM

Ok, I have to say the last few weeks with gametap have yielded a heaping pile of shit of new games.

Wonder when the hell they will start adding something really good?  Sheesh.. I know Sam and Max is cool, honestly, I can't get into that game myself.  So they really need to toss us a bone!

They did this last year as well. They would have a few weeks of awesome games...then drop off to crap updates for a month or two.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:09 AM »

Looks like another month of shitty releases;

2/01

Feeling like a good challenge? Then have we got the games for you! Challenged Games return with a vengeance this week, with Last Duel, Puzzled (a.k.a. Joy Joy Kid), Son Son, and Tumblepop.

2/15

There's cause for celebration as GameTap Original, Myst Online: Uru Live, emerges from its beta state to finished product.

2/22

Head out on the highway looking for adventure with a truckload of intense driving games. Interstate '76™, Interstate '82™, and Offroad Redneck Racing are just a few speeding their way onto your computer screens this February.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2007, 03:41:43 AM »

It's been about 2 months since I've put significant time into anything on Gametap, and about a month since I even fired it up.  frown

Still some good stuff to be had, but these shitty releases are getting old.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 04:15:59 AM »

The only thing saving it here is my kids both play it daily.  The flavor of the week for them in it are the Serious Sam set of games.  Last week I think they were working on the Stronghold series.

Well worth the $5 a month for how much they enjoy it.  If it was just me, I wouldn't be getting full value so I would just cancel.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2007, 07:18:21 PM »

Looking forward to the end of Feburary for Interstate '76 and Interstate '82. Never did purchase I82 so will be neat to play.

The lag in big releases hasn't bothered me yet. There's just too much to play on there as is. Still have yet to crack any of the Genesis RPGs I want to play and finish and still haven't got around to playing the second epsiode of Sam & Max.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2007, 01:46:46 AM »

Do a search for 'Groove Champion' on Gametap  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »

Yeah, that was a nice little bonus. I played the first few missions and they work fine. Good memories.

They also have X-Com in the "coming soon" section online. I hope that means they'll get the sequels. I never did play Terror From the Deep.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »

Head out on the highway looking for adventure with a truckload of intense driving games. Interstate '76™,

Thats awesome.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2007, 06:19:18 AM »

Well, today they put up Space Empires 3 & 4, Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri and Laser Squad Nemesis plus some others.  I also noticed they added Freespace 1 & 2, X-Com, Operation Flashpoint and X2 recently.   They have Myth 2 & 3 'coming soon' (not the first one though).

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »

Psychonauts is up, and coming soon are two titles I've debated picking up before: Project Snowblind and Rogue Trooper.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2007, 12:33:43 AM

Psychonauts is up, and coming soon are two titles I've debated picking up before: Project Snowblind and Rogue Trooper.

Thanks for the reminder.  Will be grabbing that one today.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »

I'm still in the beta for this, so I can always help people out if they have questions smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on June 16, 2007, 02:03:33 PM

I'm still in the beta for this, so I can always help people out if they have questions smile

One thing I've been curious about is how do you patch PC (Windows or DOS) games that you download. When I checked the gametap folder all games appear to be in their own subfolder but in some compressed proprietary archive file. The only game I've been able to patch is Kohan II which has it's own built in patcher. The inability to patch PC games is keeping me from downloading them, as quite frankly I can't remember many that didn't require at least one patch.

I've also noted when I've been able to confirm the game versions internally, that the games are not updated versions but the originals. Very disappointing to me that a service that appears excellent in all other aspects would overlook this or be limited in this manner.
If you know of anyway to patch PC games you download, I'd love to know how.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 18, 2007, 06:50:58 PM

One thing I've been curious about is how do you patch PC (Windows or DOS) games that you download.

You don't. You have to wait for the game company to create their own patched version of the encrypted .exe file (among other things) before you get an updated one. This obviously makes playing multiplayer games (where everybody must have the same version) a bitch to play, since you won't be getting patched versions of any of these games (especially the older titles) anytime soon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2007, 07:09:03 PM »

Hey.  If you find PC games taht are NOT patched, let me know, please.  I can report that to the folks at Gametap and they can get that fixed.  I'm told that the PC games on GT -should- be updated.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on June 18, 2007, 07:09:03 PM

Hey.  If you find PC games taht are NOT patched, let me know, please.  I can report that to the folks at Gametap and they can get that fixed.  I'm told that the PC games on GT -should- be updated.

Now that's a good thing to hear.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 18, 2007, 07:20:04 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on June 18, 2007, 07:09:03 PM

Now that's a good thing to hear.

Well I can absolutely confirm that the Kohan 2 I downloaded wasn't patched as it's own patcher performed a very lengthy update when i ran it.
I believe the following are also not the most current versions:

Dark Reign 2
Shadow of Destiny

I'll play them again tonight and check again to confirm the versions. Psychonauts is definitely the most recent version and I believe Tomb Raider legends is as well. I do need to check TRL again as I'm not 100% sure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »

Rogue Trooper is up, and it's a blast so far.  It's one of those games I always saw but never felt like picking up, so I'm surprised that I'm liking it so much.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2007, 05:16:24 AM »

well crap. Rogue Trooper was fine until I get to the level where you have to chase down another ship while shooting the bad guys and it turns into a slideshow.  Unfrotunately it doesn't look like there's much in the way of tech support for the game disgust so I guess for all intensive purposes I'm at the end of the game.  It's a shame because up to the slideshow level it was pretty fun....

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: