http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:45:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamestop... um... well... what?  (Read 965 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »

I just saw this linked on Digg: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=281268

Dragon Quest VIII new is $14.99.

Dragon Quest VIII used is $17.99.

Okay....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »

I've seen that happen all the time in the store I go to.  They don't always update their used prices quick enough for price drops on the new stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »

I think what you're seeing is their GAmeday sale price on the new copy.  I was in the store yesterday and it was $19.99 with a 25% off sticker on it, which brings it down to the magical price of $14.99.

I don't think their sale prices on new items are reflected at all on used ones.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on June 06, 2007, 02:39:12 PM

I think what you're seeing is their GAmeday sale price on the new copy.  I was in the store yesterday and it was $19.99 with a 25% off sticker on it, which brings it down to the magical price of $14.99.

I don't think their sale prices on new items are reflected at all on used ones.

Bingo.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »

That's pretty funny. They don't seem to do much work in there though, it doesn't surprise me. Appoligies if someone on the board works there, I'm sure you're a hard worker.  icon_smile

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on June 06, 2007, 03:27:15 PM

That's pretty funny. They don't seem to do much work in there though, it doesn't surprise me. Appoligies if someone on the board works there, I'm sure you're a hard worker.  icon_smile

It's very hit or miss. i get the impression that I would enjoy shopping at Misguided's store and frequent it with regularity. However, the stores (like 6 of them in 10 square miles) around where I live are such cesspools of pimples and idiocy that I simply REFUSE to frequent them. A store I used to vehemently hate (best buy) now frequnetly gets my business because they get games quickly, they dont push preorders, they have a (bad) rewards plan, I can use coupons, they have frequent weekly deals, and the games are usually in stock. I compare that to EB/GS, and frankly I simply have no reason to go there-they have deals like once a year, push preorder garbarge, and have awful stock of many games.

Like I said though, a good manager could make it worth it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »

Ditto Calvin's experience with my two local Gamestop's. I stopped shopping at them a couple years back with the rare excursion for cheap older pc games, but even that isn't enough to lure me into those stores anymore.

All I can say is thank goodness I've got a fantastic locally-owned small chain of game shops that I frequent. They only have five locations, I believe, and only two are in my city; I've been to both and they're run very well.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »

As far as Gamestop goes, I frequent the one in the mall here because the managers and staff have stayed good for the last few years.  As I was telling smurff the other day, if they lose the good manager/staff I'll take my business elsewhere in a heartbeat.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 03:23:30 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 06, 2007, 10:41:41 PM

As far as Gamestop goes, I frequent the one in the mall here because the managers and staff have stayed good for the last few years.  As I was telling smurff the other day, if they lose the good manager/staff I'll take my business elsewhere in a heartbeat.

I've said it many times on this board...a store is only as good as its staff.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 07, 2007, 03:23:30 AM

That's true of almost any and all retail locations, however, if Gamestop would pay better, and hire better employees on the whole, I think the overall quality of service would improve. You guys get paid a pittance and it's not really fair to you all.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »

The pay is why I didn't stay long.  5 hours a week at minimum wage... and I have to drive 5 miles?  Not going to fly when I can work a job that just requires me to walk downstairs to the front desk, and doesn't require me to 'get the numbers'

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 07, 2007, 12:49:59 PM

That's true of almost any and all retail locations, however, if Gamestop would pay better, and hire better employees on the whole, I think the overall quality of service would improve. You guys get paid a pittance and it's not really fair to you all.

*shrug* I have no complaints. Folks that do a good job move up pretty quickly. I'm sure some other store managers make more money than I do, but then they also work a whole lot more hours too. I don't want to work 70+ hours a week at this stage of my life. I think it's really important to have a DM that understands the importance of hiring the right people, and I'm fortunate to have that here. We have some very good people in the area, IMO.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 07, 2007, 01:40:09 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on June 07, 2007, 12:49:59 PM

*shrug* I have no complaints. Folks that do a good job move up pretty quickly. I'm sure some other store managers make more money than I do, but then they also work a whole lot more hours too. I don't want to work 70+ hours a week at this stage of my life. I think it's really important to have a DM that understands the importance of hiring the right people, and I'm fortunate to have that here. We have some very good people in the area, IMO.

When I was a store manager for EB some years ago the pay wasn't too bad, I believe I started at $32,000 a year, but I also regularly had to work 65+ hours a week because they cut staffing hours and store managers had to pick up the slack.  Combined with a super aggressive DM that set ridiculous goals higher than corporate set it was a very stressful environment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: