http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamestop is Making Money  (Read 3344 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »

Neither BB or FS take used games in Winnipeg due to a certain bylaw.

The long and short of it is this: 1 game can be traded for 1 game. If you want to trade in 2 games, you need to buy two games. If you want to trade in hardware, it needs to go back into hardware. No store credit for you, unless you're paying cash for it.

Some small shops have a bin of $.01 games and so if you want to trade in 10 games for 1 new game, they give you 9 crap games which you can keep, or donate back to the store.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »

Uhm, no. First off those are in the defective, not regular inventory, and any mass movement of those back and forth would raise red flags. Secondly, charging that fee reduces the credit you get on your trades and leaves you less to spend, neither of which are in the store's best interest. They have machines in Texas at the corporate office that resurface dozens of discs at a time.

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 29, 2011, 07:00:50 PM

Quote from: kronovan on March 29, 2011, 05:10:36 PM

they refinish their preowned DVD's. I can't tell you how many times I've declined a preowned game at EB because the quality of the DVD was utter crap.

I've been charged a refinishing fee on some of the games I've traded in at GS.  I seriously doubt they ever get refinished.  I see it as a way to reduce your trade-in value.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:44:12 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 29, 2011, 07:41:19 PM

Uhm, no. First off those are in the defective, not regular inventory, and any mass movement of those back and forth would raise red flags. Secondly, charging that fee reduces the credit you get on your trades and leaves you less to spend, neither of which are in the store's best interest. They have machines in Texas at the corporate office that resurface dozens of discs at a time.

they refinish their preowned DVD's. I can't tell you how many times I've declined a preowned game at EB because the quality of the DVD was utter crap.

I've been charged a refinishing fee on some of the games I've traded in at GS.  I seriously doubt they ever get refinished.  I see it as a way to reduce your trade-in value.

Of course it is in their best interest.  Lower my trade-in value via "refinishing fees" means I now have to pony up extra cash for whatever I'm buying.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 29, 2011, 08:01:58 PM

Quote from: Misguided on March 29, 2011, 07:41:19 PM

Of course it is in their best interest.  Lower my trade-in value via "refinishing fees" means I now have to pony up extra cash for whatever I'm buying.

Hate to say it, but charging a refinishing fee seems like complete BS to me. Futureshop in my Canadian city doesn't charge any fee and refinishing is just part of their standard  policy. Whereas EB doesn't do any refinishing whatsoever - they'll gladly sell you a disc scratched beyond the ability to play. Of course you do get 15 days to take it back, but I'm betting customers who don't pay attention to the disc condition when they purchase probably forget to take it back too. Like I've said a number of times before; I don't have any problems with the quality or customer service I get from my local EB stores, but in the area of refinishing preowned disks they've fallen far behind the competition.

Sorry to hear about the situation in Winnipeg Purge - your City Hall is seriously depriving you and your fellow gamers!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:38:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on March 29, 2011, 07:29:07 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 29, 2011, 04:00:57 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 29, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

I only shop at GS when I can't get release day shipping  from Amazon.  I did recently trade some games into them for cash instead of store credit, but I still took a hit for taking the cash.   Btw, since when did GS start requiring two forms of ID for game trade in?

I think it depends on your local or state laws.  I took in a bunch of stuff on Sunday and only had to show one.

I think in some states/provinces they are considered a form of "pawn shop" because of all the re-selling they do, which requires ID at trade-in.

Here in Utah, state law requires them to get an ID and a fingerprint when you trade in used games.  Needless to say, I don't do much trading in a GS anymore...

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:36 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 29, 2011, 11:37:32 PM

I only shop at GS when I can't get release day shipping  from Amazon.  I did recently trade some games into them for cash instead of store credit, but I still took a hit for taking the cash.   Btw, since when did GS start requiring two forms of ID for game trade in?

I think it depends on your local or state laws.  I took in a bunch of stuff on Sunday and only had to show one.

I think in some states/provinces they are considered a form of "pawn shop" because of all the re-selling they do, which requires ID at trade-in.

Here in Utah, state law requires them to get an ID and a fingerprint when you trade in used games.  Needless to say, I don't do much trading in a GS anymore...
Where I live they require an ID, a biometric scan, and you must have the game manual in good condition.  If any page in the manual is torn, covered in food debris, or stained by human or animal biological matter, the deal is off (cheetos debris excluded since it can be consumed by the new owner).  No more manuals with pages stuck together.   
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 30, 2011, 03:16:36 AM

Quote from: Gratch on March 29, 2011, 11:37:32 PM

Where I live they require an ID, a biometric scan, and you must have the game manual in good condition.  If any page in the manual is torn, covered in food debris, or stained by human or animal biological matter, the deal is off (cheetos debris excluded since it can be consumed by the new owner).  No more manuals with pages stuck together.   
I guess Daehawk can't trade in games where you live.   icon_lol 

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 29, 2011, 08:01:58 PM

Of course it is in their best interest.  Lower my trade-in value via "refinishing fees" means I now have to pony up extra cash for whatever I'm buying.

People with less trade credit tend to buy less. What matters to the store is the amount of goods sold. I stand by my original statement that charging that fee hurts the store. I didn't even touch on the fact that since the disc is now in defective inventory, it can't be sold, hurting potential sales. The store would MUCH rather have a disc in good condition, give you maximum trade credit and be able to sell the game you are trading in. If you choose not to believe that then I'm not sure we can find much common ground to discuss the topic.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

And as a sign of the impending all-digital world, Gamestop is buying Impulse.

Spawn Labs, part of the GameStop network, brings patented technology and a talented team of technologists with unique game streaming and virtualization expertise. The Spawn Labs team will work closely with GameStop’s existing R&D group to develop GameStop’s growing suite of digital game products and services.

Once the Spawn Labs integration and testing on a new consumer interface is complete, users will have immediate access to a wide selection of high-definition video games on demand on any Internet-enabled device.

“Our customers are gaming in many locations and on many devices, and we need to deliver the same great immersive experience that they have come to expect,” said GameStop President Tony Bartel. “Spawn Labs and Impulse provide a customer-friendly and publisher-friendly way for us to accomplish this.”

Impulse, Inc. provides a proven digital distribution platform that allows users to quickly and easily find their favorite games and download them to their Internet-connected devices.

J. Paul Raines, chief executive officer of GameStop, said, “With these important acquisitions, we will continue to make appropriate investments related to our multichannel strategy. GameStop is uniquely positioned to be the leader in both the physical and digital gaming space.”

For users, developers and publishers, Impulse will offer three specific components:
•Impulse Client - allows gamers to have instant access to a library of more than 1,100 games on day one as well as the ability to manage their game-related downloads and purchases.
•Impulse Reactor – provides content publishers customer friendly DRM and copy protection tools. It also allows developers to enable achievements, account management, friend lists, chat, multiplayer lobbies, and cloud storage within their games.
•Impulse Publisher – allows publishers to manage all aspects of their game with powerful real-time reporting and management tools.

Impulse, Inc. will remain an actively running business with full integration on GameStop.com anticipated within the next few months. The Impulse acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in May 2011.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »

wow... and the forums over at Impulse haven't exploded yet.  Kinda anticlimactic.

this might be better suited for the PC forums though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:58:57 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 31, 2011, 09:56:19 PM

You never know where this might be headed.  Retailers hold an extreme amount of influence over publishers and hardware manufacturers.  There might be a day where there is an Impulse portal via Xbox Live or PS3 whatevertheyhave.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 31, 2011, 10:18:37 PM

You never know where this might be headed.  Retailers hold an extreme amount of influence over publishers and hardware manufacturers.  There might be a day where there is an Impulse portal via Xbox Live or PS3 whatevertheyhave.

And, as I said earlier in this thread, I think that day is coming soon.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 31, 2011, 10:54:17 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 31, 2011, 10:18:37 PM

And, as I said earlier in this thread, I think that day is coming soon.

I would be extremely surprised if Microsoft or Nintendo ever allowed a 3rd party download/game portal on their consoles.  Standardization and control are critical elements to the success of something like Xbox Live, not to mention the extra profit potential.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: